X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tyrus4189Cobb
    Gator wrastler
    • May 2007

I don't exactly understand the disdain for changing tradition. Baseball is full of name changes, and it's not like the Astros have a big legacy to back them up. They've been a relatively low provider of baseball culture.

If it were up to me, I'd go with the Houston Colts. Not gonna happen...
    "Allen Sutton Sothoron pitched his initials off today."--1920s article

Comment

• CandlestickBum
      2010, Year of the Giant
      • Aug 2006

Originally posted by Tyrus4189Cobb View Post
      I don't exactly understand the disdain for changing tradition. Baseball is full of name changes, and it's not like the Astros have a big legacy to back them up. They've been a relatively low provider of baseball culture.

That's a version of Colt .45s that would work actually. Colt 45s wouldn't of course, due to the malt liquor and pistol angle.

Houston Colts....I like it.

Comment

• Rich the Giants fan
        Stretch 44
        • Feb 2009

They say change is good. Not always.
        San Francisco Giants, World Series Champions in 2010, 2012, and 2014!!!

"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts" ~ Albert Einstein

"Royals wear crowns, but Champions Kiss the Ring" ~ Jeremy Affeldt

Comment

• SamtheBravesFan
          Braves Fan For Life
          • Nov 2005

"Astros" is synonymous with Houston's history as one of the centers of United States space exploration and the world's first domed stadium. I'd say that's pretty significant.
          46 wins to match last year's total

Comment

• Mr. Laser Beam
            • Sep 2010

Originally posted by ian2813 View Post
            it already feels like the Astros as we know them will be dead once they go to the American League.
            What difference does it really make what league they're in? That seems like a very arbitrary distinction. (So one league has a DH and one doesn't. Big deal. In the end, it's all the same.)
            It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.

Comment

• Rich the Giants fan
              Stretch 44
              • Feb 2009

I don't understand the desire of late, by everyone to want to change the game. It's the greatest game in the world. Why does it need so damn many changes? It's driving me crazy and I hate it.

"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts" ~ Albert Einstein

Comment

• DiggerODell
                Ghost of a Guest
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by CandlestickBum View Post
                That's a version of Colt .45s that would work actually. Colt 45s wouldn't of course, due to the malt liquor and pistol angle.

Although I absolutely adore the ole 45's logo and name . . . I would say . . . change it to the "Astros" . . . (they'll never notice ;-)
                Some's basturds, some's ain't, thats the score.

Comment

• Rich the Giants fan
                  Stretch 44
                  • Feb 2009

If, in the name of Political Correctness, the Washington Wizards can no longer use the name Bullets, I can't imagine Houston reviving the Colt .45s.

Comment

• Blue387
                    Ya gotta believe
                    • Jul 2010

How about the Houston Knights?
                    The Mets have the best, smartest fans in baseball.

Comment

• Steven Gallanter
                      • Feb 2009

Originally posted by Rich the Giants fan View Post
                      If, in the name of Political Correctness, the Washington Wizards can no longer use the name Bullets, I can't imagine Houston reviving the Colt .45s.
                      So the association of "Wizards" with the Klu Klux Klan is politically correct?

stevegallanter.wordpress.com

Comment

• ol' aches and pains
                        A Gametime Decision
                        • Apr 2008

They can change their name and their uniforms, but they can't hide.
                        They call me Mr. Baseball. Not because of my love for the game; because of all the stitches in my head.

Comment

• hellborn
                          Lummox in LF
                          • Aug 2005

How about the Houston 95/100s? (temperature/humidity)
                          Houston Refiners?
                          "I throw him four wide ones, then try to pick him off first base." - Preacher Roe on pitching to Musial

Comment

• Shea Knight
                            Metsistentialist Thinker
                            • Jun 2009

Originally posted by CandlestickBum View Post

I agree--

The Astros SHOULD stay the Astros, perfectly fine name, they've been in the league as long as my beloved and beleaguered Mets...there's history attached to that name.

Not as much, perhaps, if they'd WON some of those pennants and that WS against the White Sox, but hey--

Then Mets and Sox fans everwhere would be a bit sadder.

That being said, given the Colt .45 history, and the fact they're changing leagues..."Houston Colts" isn't a bad name at all.
                            "Ya Gotta Believe!" -Tug McGraw ... "How we deal with death is at least as important as how we deal with life." -James T. Kirk ... "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." -Sherlock Holmes ... "It is out of the deepest depth that the highest must come to its height." -Friedrich Nietzsche ... "There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy." Hamlet

Comment

• Biggtone23
                              • Jan 2000

I wonder what the reaction from the NFL and Jim Irsay would be about a name change to the Colts? Same with the University of Houston and Cougars name mentioned earlier in the thread. There are obviously some teams in the NFL and MLB who share names but those names go back to nearly the start, if not the start of the leagues.
                              Lets Go Yankees, Valley Cats, Dutchmen, UT Spartans and ECU Pirates.

Comment

• jnakamura
                                • Oct 2008

Originally posted by Biggtone23 View Post
                                I wonder what the reaction from the NFL and Jim Irsay would be about a name change to the Colts? Same with the University of Houston and Cougars name mentioned earlier in the thread. There are obviously some teams in the NFL and MLB who share names but those names go back to nearly the start, if not the start of the leagues.
                                If the Sacramento Kings move to Anaheim, they will be called the Royals.
                                I see great things in baseball. It's our game - the American game.
                                - Walt Whitman

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X