X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • UnderPressure
    Blessing
    • May 2005

I hope it's not Colts. I don't want the list of shared names in pro sports to get longer.

Rangers, Kings, Panthers, Giants, Jets, Cardinals. If the Kings (NBA) move to Anaheim, then the name Royals will be shared with the KC Royals. I'm surprised that the most overused name in college sports, Tigers, is only represented by one team in the pros.
    Using a stolen chant from Boston Celtics fans whenever an L.A. team is playing up there just reeks of inferiority complex.

If hitting a baseball is the toughest thing to do in sports, then pitching must be the easiest thing to do in sports.

Comment

• Mr. Laser Beam
      • Sep 2010

^ Detroit
      It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.

Comment

• UnderPressure
        Blessing
        • May 2005

Originally posted by Mr. Laser Beam View Post
        ^ Detroit
        I know. I edited it. But what I truly meant was multiple pro teams using that name. Doesn't the SEC alone have two schools that are nicknamed "Tigers"?
        Using a stolen chant from Boston Celtics fans whenever an L.A. team is playing up there just reeks of inferiority complex.

If hitting a baseball is the toughest thing to do in sports, then pitching must be the easiest thing to do in sports.

Comment

• EddieBrinkman'sGlove
          • Apr 2008

Except for their original name "Colt 45s", all these team name ideas for the Astros are dopey.

Comment

• Bulldog19
            • Apr 2009

Originally posted by UnderPressure View Post
            I know. I edited it. But what I truly meant was multiple pro teams using that name. Doesn't the SEC alone have two schools that are nicknamed "Tigers"?
            Two at the moment with a third one coming...
            Mike Hopper
            Former Gateway Grizzlies Intern

Comment

• AstrosFan
              Supreme Dictator For Life
              • Apr 2006

I'm fine with their current nickname, despite the opportunity for people to add an extra S next to the first one, or stick an L at the beginning. Lastros hits hard these days. But I can handle a name change. I'd prefer to keep it as is, but I'm not one to get worked up over tradition. The nickname connects to their old home, the Astrodome. Since they play in Minute Maid Park now, how about loading the players up with PEDs and calling them the Juicers?
              "Any pitcher who throws at a batter and deliberately tries to hit him is a communist."

- Alvin Dark

Comment

• Nerdlinger
                Slippery when wet
                • Nov 2008

Originally posted by AstrosFan View Post
                I'm fine with their current nickname, despite the opportunity for people to add an extra S next to the first one, or stick an L at the beginning. Lastros hits hard these days. But I can handle a name change. I'd prefer to keep it as is, but I'm not one to get worked up over tradition. The nickname connects to their old home, the Astrodome. Since they play in Minute Maid Park now, how about loading the players up with PEDs and calling them the Juicers?
                You'd have to change your user name here, of course.
                *** Submit your personal HOF as your ballot for the Single Ballot BBF Hall of Fame! *** Also: Buck the Fraves!

Comment

• Biggtone23
                  • Jan 2000

Man Houston doesnt even have good old minor league team names to go to: Buffaloes/Buffs, Eagles, Wanderers, Magnolias, Mud Cats and Red Stockings
                  Lets Go Yankees, Valley Cats, Dutchmen, UT Spartans and ECU Pirates.

Comment

• Zito75
                    A's Super Moderator
                    • Jun 2003

Originally posted by Biggtone23 View Post
                    Man Houston doesnt even have good old minor league team names to go to: Buffaloes/Buffs, Eagles, Wanderers, Magnolias, Mud Cats and Red Stockings
                    Those are dreadful.

Why not go with the Oilers?
                    WAR? Prove it!

Trusted Traders: ttmman21, Dalkowski110, BoofBonser26, Kearns643, HudsonHarden, Extra Innings, MadHatter, Mike D., J.P., SShifflett

Comment

• Nerdlinger
                      Slippery when wet
                      • Nov 2008

Originally posted by Biggtone23 View Post
                      How about Lone Stars?
                      *** Submit your personal HOF as your ballot for the Single Ballot BBF Hall of Fame! *** Also: Buck the Fraves!

Comment

• UnderPressure
                        Blessing
                        • May 2005

Originally posted by Bulldog19 View Post
                        Two at the moment with a third one coming...
                        Who? Clemson?

Comment

• drdg
                          Disabled Veteran US Navy
                          • Mar 2010

Originally posted by AstrosFan View Post
                          that's a good idea
                          when they were the colt 45's they play in colt stadium
                          they became the astros, when they move into the astrodome
                          and now their nickname can be the juicers since they play in minute maid park

but since the stadium is located at what was union station for locomotives
                          and it has a train on top of its left field wall,
                          I would go with the houston railroads, or houston locomotives (loco for short)

heck the city seal and flag features a railroad

I would stay away from houston trains it just doesn't sound right
                          and since the stadium name can and has change,
                          I would NOT go with the stadium name past, present or future
                          nor houston (we have a problem) :headbeat:
                          Last edited by drdg; 01-26-2012, 04:29 PM.
                          sigpic

Comment

• drdg
                            Disabled Veteran US Navy
                            • Mar 2010

how about the houston locos
                            as that crazy for changing their name

railroads or locomotive makes sense for a new name
                            since the stadium is located at what was once houston's union station
                            and the stadium pays respect to houston's past history of having many railroads

in the past their name was the colt 45's and play at colt stadium
                            and then the name was change to astros when they play at the astrodome
                            however by changing the name to MM for MMP would not be appropriate
                            as the name for this stadium can and has change
                            sigpic

Comment

• jnakamura
                              • Oct 2008

Well, the backlash has been swift and clear. The Astros Facebook page has been slammed with pissed off fans voicing their opinions.

Local Houston media polls put the disapproval of a name change at around 80%.
                              I see great things in baseball. It's our game - the American game.
                              - Walt Whitman

Comment

• jnakamura
                                • Oct 2008

The backlash has been swift and clear over the last few days. The Astros Facebook page and team email has been slammed with pissed off fans voicing their opinions.

Local Houston media polls put the disapproval of a name change at around 80%.
                                I see great things in baseball. It's our game - the American game.
                                - Walt Whitman

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X