Thread: 1970s 40th man

1970s 40th man

--Cast your ballot here for the last man on the All 1970s team. Poll will last one week. Anyone not already elected is eligible. 4th place finishers by position;
    C: Carlton Fisk
    1B: Hank Aaron
    2B: Dave Cash
    3B: George Brett
    SS: Chris Speier
    LF: Billy Williams
    CF: Rick Monday
    RF: Dave Winfield
    SP: Nolan Ryan (actually 13th)
    RP: Goose Gossage
    --Pete Rose is probably the best of the rest, spliting his time between 4 positions and being a good to very good hitter all decade long.
    Last edited by leecemark; 02-03-2012 at 07:26 PM.

1) Hank Aaron
    2) George Brett
    3) Pete Rose
    4) Dave Winfield
    5) Goose Gossage

1. Dave Winfield
    2. Rick Monday
    3. Carlton Fisk
    4. Hank Aaron
    5. George Brett
    You see, you spend a good deal of your life gripping a baseball and in the end it turns out that it was the other way around all the time. J. Bouton

Chicago - The town that the World Series forgot
    1) Rose
    2) Brett
    3) Aaron
    5) Monday
    5) Fisk

I feel strongly Rose should be the winner here. He's got a whole decade's worth of solid production while bouncing around at 3 different positions. Plus the all decade team assures people a place on the HOF ballot and Rose definately deserves a spot. He's our all time hit leader and will still be adding to that impressive total. Aaron is already a HOFer, and guys like Winfield, Fisk, and Brett have a good shot at making the 80's team.
    "I will calmly wait for my induction to the Baseball Hall of Fame."
    - Sammy Sosa

"Get a comfy chair, Sammy, cause its gonna be a long wait."
    - Craig Ashley (AKA Windy City Fan)

--Rose was the 2nd team 2B on the All 60s team so he is already asured a spot on the Hall of Fame ballot when the time comes. It will be interesting to see how many hits he ends up with. I seriously doubt anybody is going to be playing him much in his 1B years in the 80s in his punchless drive to the real life hit record. Not that he will need them to make our Hall.

Quote Originally Posted by leecemark View Post
    --Rose was the 2nd team 2B on the All 60s team so he is already asured a spot on the Hall of Fame ballot when the time comes. It will be interesting to see how many hits he ends up with. I seriously doubt anybody is going to be playing him much in his 1B years in the 80s in his punchless drive to the real life hit record. Not that he will need them to make our Hall.
    That's the biggest problem I have with the CKL (somewhat off topic here, sorry) = the fact that we only use around 60% of the players, so a guy like Rose who would still see regular playing time if we used 80 to 85% of the players doesn't see any at all during their decline phase. This naturally makes career stats look better than they should. Of course that doesn't only go for Rose, it goes for anyone who has some big years, and then plays several more years at a much lower production rate. The best I've ever been in for having to use just about everyone was the SCML before expansion, when we made 14 teams from the real life 16. A guy who played every day with a 65 or 70 OPS+ was still quite valuable just because they gave you playing time.
    You see, you spend a good deal of your life gripping a baseball and in the end it turns out that it was the other way around all the time. J. Bouton

1. Rose
    2. Gossage
    3. Williams
    4. Brett
    5. Aaron
    Baseball statistics are like a girl in a bikini. They show a lot, but not everything. ~Toby Harrah

Quote Originally Posted by catcher24 View Post
    That's the biggest problem I have with the CKL (somewhat off topic here, sorry) = the fact that we only use around 60% of the players, so a guy like Rose who would still see regular playing time if we used 80 to 85% of the players doesn't see any at all during their decline phase. This naturally makes career stats look better than they should. Of course that doesn't only go for Rose, it goes for anyone who has some big years, and then plays several more years at a much lower production rate. The best I've ever been in for having to use just about everyone was the SCML before expansion, when we made 14 teams from the real life 16. A guy who played every day with a 65 or 70 OPS+ was still quite valuable just because they gave you playing time.
    --Well in Roses's case he shouldn't have been playing on merit in MLB. It was chasing the record and being a player manager that kept such a weak bat in the lineup his last 5-6 years. Even if we were using 90% of players he would be a poor 1B candidate during this period. That said, I do agree in principle and wish we had been able to come up with enough owners to expand in 77 as planned.

Quote Originally Posted by leecemark View Post
    --Well in Roses's case he shouldn't have been playing on merit in MLB. It was chasing the record and being a player manager that kept such a weak bat in the lineup his last 5-6 years. Even if we were using 90% of players he would be a poor 1B candidate during this period. That said, I do agree in principle and wish we had been able to come up with enough owners to expand in 77 as planned.
    I agree completely with your assessment of Rose's abilities over the last few years of his career. Also agree it would be nice to get more owners. I wasn't trying to be difficult for sure.

Last day to vote on this

1) Pete Rose 13
    2) Hank Aaron 11
    2) George Brett 11
    4) Dave Winfield 7
    5) Rick Monday 6