Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 2012 Dodgers Season Thread

I am saddened to read that Dodger fans booed Guerra as he left last night's game. Embarrassing for all Dodger fans. What courage he showed by staying on the mound after the line drive.
    The team is 13-6, which is a fantastic start, and a few bumps in the road has the boo birds out. To quote Fat Albert, "No class".
    "I became a good pitcher when I stopped trying to make them miss the ball and started trying to make them hit it." - Sandy Koufax.

"My name is Yasiel Puig. I am from Cuba. I am 21 years old. Thank you."

Guerra did not deserve to be booed off the field. But after tonight he needs to look at his pitching, having nearly blown the game. That was a crazy finish and the Dodgers can be thankful for a few things, including that great play by Hairston in not only robbing a hit but turning it into a double play, the horrible pitching of Rodrigreuz and of course Kemp's winner. A win is a win is a win, but, wow, they had to tough this one out!!
    "A hot dog at the ballgame beats roast beef at the Ritz." ~Humphrey Bogart

No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference. ~Tommy Lasorda

Fun fact: Matt Kemp has 12 home runs. The Padres as a team has hit 11 home runs. The entire Cubs team has 9 home runs in April.
    The Mets have the best, smartest fans in baseball.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue387 View Post
    The entire Cubs team has 9 home runs in April.
    But they still beat the Blue boys in game 1 of the series.

No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference. ~Tommy Lasorda

Raised a Yankee, Mattingly Is Happy to Be a Dodger
    http://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/07/sp...pagewanted=all
    The Mets have the best, smartest fans in baseball.

Everyone has the right to boo.

Shall we cheer someone on when they are doing poorly? That's what is wrong with the world these days, we give children trophies for failing and we take them out for ice cream.
    No one can make you
    Do what they want to
    You know you're stronger
    Than the lies
    That they tell you

So many injuries . . . four starters on the mend . . . however, the team is still grinding out wins!

So fun to watch Kershaw dominate with his breaking ball last night. It definitely got better as the night went on.

Now . . . time to get out the brooms today! Here's hoping C-Bill is "on".
    "I became a good pitcher when I stopped trying to make them miss the ball and started trying to make them hit it." - Sandy Koufax.

Congratulations to Scott Van Slyke on his first ML dinger. And what a great time to hit it!

What a great series against the Phillies. First time they have swept them in 4 at home since moving to LA and in 3 of the 4 games they came from behind. Phillies were above .500 before they met the Dodgers, now they are last in the division. Not a very auspicious start for Shawn Tolleson today - was that asking too much to put him up to close?
    I believe Van Slyke has been sent back to Albuquerque.

Well, getting no-hit sucks. Oh well, carry on. At the end of the day, it's just another loss.
    But geesh, NO hits?

The Dodgers gained another game today. 5 games up on the Giants who couldn't beat the Mariners. Ethier (whom the Dodgers got in a trade with the A's for Milton Bradley) made some great plays and they scored when they needed to, despite a horrible tag-up call at third. The Dodgers are well on their way and are doing this without Matt Kemp. Waiting until he comes back...
    Always go to other people's funerals, otherwise they won't come to yours. - Yogi Berra

Quote Originally Posted by Dodgerfan1 View Post
    The Dodgers gained another game today. 5 games up on the Giants who couldn't beat the Mariners. Ethier (whom the Dodgers got in a trade with the A's for Milton Bradley) made some great plays and they scored when they needed to, despite a horrible tag-up call at third. The Dodgers are well on their way and are doing this without Matt Kemp. Waiting until he comes back...
    Ummmmm......Our boys were no hit against the Mariners less that 2 weeks ago
    We were at that painful 2-3 loss to the Angels Monday last week. The game took over 4 hours to play. So glad they were able to beat the White Sox showing lots of fight in both wins. They should beat the A's but some tough road games to follow!!

As long as they can keep the lead in the division until Kemp comes back, we'll be alright.
    No one can make you
    Do what they want to
    You know you're stronger
    Than the lies
    That they tell you

What pitiful series against the offensively inept A's. The Dodgers managed a measly 2 runs and 8 hits in 3 games - did someone forget to pack the offense in the team airplane? They will be behind the Giants at the end of the month at this rate. (I wish Grant Balfour had closed so I could say that at least I could say they were beaten by a pair of Aussies - well Blackley did pitch 8 good innings)

So they get bat on ball and then let Billingsley screw it up with a woeful pitching exhibition. Haren was not good but Billingsley was worse. To lead 5-0 after 1 1/2 and be behind after 5 is terrible. And to fail to score again in the game is worse. Unless they can improve on this debacle they will struggle to win a game on this road trip and will return at the end of the month staring the WC race in the face, not the divisional title. They have really had a dream draw in the first half of the season, and have not capitalized on it, and I have been sucked in to believing they are playoff contenders. The fighting spirit they showed against the Chisox has seemingly disappeared, but that was at home. Lots of road (and home) games ahead against good teams.
    Last edited by DownUnderDodger; 06-22-2012 at 10:30 PM.

Pretenders. By All Star Game they will be lucky to be in 3rd place in the division. Offense is weak and pitchers cannot finish off a batter - too many 0-2 batters getting on base and 2 out innings falling apart (often at 0-2 with the 3rd batter). The easy early season draw has given them a false sense of security and a very temporary position at the top of the division.

Quote Originally Posted by DownUnderDodger View Post
    Pretenders. By All Star Game they will be lucky to be in 3rd place in the division. Offense is weak and pitchers cannot finish off a batter - too many 0-2 batters getting on base and 2 out innings falling apart (often at 0-2 with the 3rd batter). The easy early season draw has given them a false sense of security and a very temporary position at the top of the division.
    they need a HEALTHY matt kemp in the lineup soon.

we all know this team is very top heavy in talent. their ace and the two best hitters are great but the rest is not so much. one injury can derail that offense.
    they need kemp back but not before he is 100%. bring him back too early again and the season for him might be over as would be the postseason hopes of the dodgers.

would be good if they can cling on to the lead till kemp is back even if it is only 1 game lead or so. that would help mentally.
    I now have my own non commercial blog about training for batspeed and power using my training experience in baseball and track and field.

Quote Originally Posted by dominik View Post
    they need a HEALTHY matt kemp in the lineup soon.

we all know this team is very top heavy in talent. their ace and the two best hitters are great but the rest is not so much. one injury can derail that offense.
    they need kemp back but not before he is 100%. bring him back too early again and the season for him might be over as would be the postseason hopes of the dodgers.

would be good if they can cling on to the lead till kemp is back even if it is only 1 game lead or so. that would help mentally.
    Agreed. Being in first at AS break will be important for the team's psyche. And could they possibly score some runs for Kershaw?
    Recall Van Slyke! Why didn't they get Youk? No more CHUB at 3B!

The Dodgers offense has been weak all season, even with Kemp there. He was really the only one hitting during their winning period - apart from from a period when Ethier showed some form with the bat. Ethier is now swinging like a rusty gate in a gale. They have not really scored many runs at all. In fact they have scored more than 6 in an inning just 12 times and only once have scored more than 10. They have had a dream early season draw and were only just winning some of those games. To be blanked in 30 straight innings is just pathetic. They were also blanked by Oakland during this road trip (with a pathetic 2 runs from 8 hits in that series). They cannot hope to win games without a hitter, and with the Mets and Reds coming to town followed by a road trip to Arizona, the Dodgers are in trouble. I thought when they showed some guts against the Chisox that they were the real deal, but I have serious doubts after this woeful road trip.
    Are there any hitters out there that may be available for a trade mid season??
    Also, the pitching is falling to pieces. Kershaw is nowhere near as effective as last year, Billingsley is only just, Harang is not doing much to warrant his role and Eovaldi was blitzed 2 days ago.
    What does the future hold??

Here we go again! 0-2 against David Wright, he is allowed to get to 3-2 then hits a RBI double. When are the pitchers going to finish the batters off? I see another debacle tonight. Hope I am wrong.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast