Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: 2012 Dodgers Season Thread

Quote Originally Posted by DownUnderDodger View Post
    I guess you have bragging rights at the moment Roy - but the season is not over yet. It does not matter who is in or out of the team, whoever is playing is responsible to get the W. The Dodgers missed Kemp, Ethier & Mark Ellis for a few weeks but that was no excuse. Clubs need depth and be able to use it when required. The Dodgers offense has been poor all season, not just against the Gnats so your comments while somewhat valid do not hold a lot of merit with the Dodgers. It is very painful though that the Bums can get swept at home by your mob!!
    the season will go down to the last game no doubt

interesting, not one dodger batted the entire series when the dodgers were not trailing
    1. The more I learn, the more convinced I am that many players are over-rated due to inflated stats from offensive home parks (and eras)
    2. Strat-O-Matic Baseball Player, Collector and Hobbyist since 1969, visit my strat site: http://somgamersparadiseforum.smfforfree4.com/index.php

A-Gone, Beckett, Punto, and Crawford?!?!?

Discuss . . .

Not sure what the Dodgers would give up. Could be simply a matter of cash and draft picks.

Deal must be completed by Sunday or Gonzalez and Beckett go back on wire for everyone to fight over.
    "I became a good pitcher when I stopped trying to make them miss the ball and started trying to make them hit it." - Sandy Koufax.

"My name is Yasiel Puig. I am from Cuba. I am 21 years old. Thank you."

Do you also want Jason Bay?
    The Mets have the best, smartest fans in baseball.

Quote Originally Posted by bhss89 View Post
    A-Gone, Beckett, Punto, and Crawford?!?!?

Discuss . . .

Not sure what the Dodgers would give up. Could be simply a matter of cash and draft picks.

Deal must be completed by Sunday or Gonzalez and Beckett go back on wire for everyone to fight over.
    A rather expensive dal, especially with Crawford injured, however if these guys can do something to help the offense of the team anything will help. Are they long term deals or just to try to get back on the rails this season (excluding Crawford) I believe he is an insurance should Victorino not re-sign, and A-Gone could not be as inneffective as Loney has been this season.
    "A hot dog at the ballgame beats roast beef at the Ritz." ~Humphrey Bogart

No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference. ~Tommy Lasorda

Quote Originally Posted by Blue387 View Post
    Do you also want Jason Bay?
    Not so much
    "I became a good pitcher when I stopped trying to make them miss the ball and started trying to make them hit it." - Sandy Koufax.

Done deal. A-Gone batting 4th tonight!

I am very anxious to see if Beckett turns his season around thanks to new surroundings.

Well, for all the offensive shoring up there is not a lot to show for it. Big spending with little result!!

No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference. ~Tommy Lasorda

Season over? The most underperforming team in the whole of the majors? What is the answer for next year? A new hitting coach? A new manager? A huge dose of pride? All 3?

Quote Originally Posted by DownUnderDodger View Post
    Season over? The most underperforming team in the whole of the majors? What is the answer for next year? A new hitting coach? A new manager? A huge dose of pride? All 3?
    I don't know if they are under-performing with what they have. With the injuries, the pitching staff isn't good. Kemp is hurt. If those components were healthy, they would be better. Then again, if the Cards had Carp and Berkman this year and Craig didn't miss 40+ days again... most teams can play that game too.

Also, Hanley hasn't been good for 3 years. It will be interesting to see what happens to A-Gon.

So with the available healthy players, I think 5-10 games over looks about right.
    1885 1886 1926 1931 1934 1942 1944 1946 1964 1967 1982 2006 2011

1887 1888 1928 1930 1943 1968 1985 1987 2004 2013

1996 2000 2001 2002 2005 2009 2012

The Top 100 Pitchers In MLB History
    The Top 100 Position Players In MLB History

My first post! Lifelong Dodger fan, therefore used to frustration. I'm sure it's too little, too late, but I predicted many months ago that it'd go down to the last series vs. the Giants. Turns out I was right, but I did think it'd be more than just a formality.

Quote Originally Posted by toomanyhatz View Post
    My first post! Lifelong Dodger fan, therefore used to frustration. I'm sure it's too little, too late, but I predicted many months ago that it'd go down to the last series vs. the Giants. Turns out I was right, but I did think it'd be more than just a formality.
    If they win tonight, they will be just 2 games back with 4 to play. Very doable.
    1885 1886 1926 1931 1934 1942 1944 1946 1964 1967 1982 2006 2011

1887 1888 1928 1930 1943 1968 1985 1987 2004 2013

1996 2000 2001 2002 2005 2009 2012

The Top 100 Pitchers In MLB History
    The Top 100 Position Players In MLB History

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew C. View Post
    If they win tonight, they will be just 2 games back with 4 to play. Very doable.
    Doable, but counting on the Cards to lose, and the Cards have not been cooperating of late. Notwithstanding tonight, of course, but 4-0 is not an insurmountable lead.

It would be crazy if it came down to a tie-breaker game then a wildcard game, then a division series vs. 3 different teams. Shades of the White Sox in '09.

Everyone . . . BELIEVE.

I knew it would come down to the last series against the Giants. Doesn't it always? It pains me to know that even if they sweep against the Giants, the Cards have to lose two games. That's what seems unlikely to me. I'm going Wednesday, by the way. Hope it counts.
    Found in a fortune cookie On Thursday, August 18th, 2005: "Hard words break no bones, Kind words butter no parsnips."

1955 1959 1963 1965 1981 1988

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew C. View Post
    I don't know if they are under-performing with what they have. With the injuries, the pitching staff isn't good. Kemp is hurt. If those components were healthy, they would be better. Then again, if the Cards had Carp and Berkman this year and Craig didn't miss 40+ days again... most teams can play that game too.

Also, Hanley hasn't been good for 3 years. It will be interesting to see what happens to A-Gon.

So with the available healthy players, I think 5-10 games over looks about right.
    Pitching staff is only as good as the runs they have to play with. The pitching staff cannot be held responsible for this team not making the post season, it is the poor effort in offense. Even when Kemp came back he was not performing and they bolstered the offense with A-Gon, Victorino, Ramirez, and still could not score runs.
    Blanked by opponent - 15 games
    Blanked opponent - 10 games
    Scored 3 or less runs - 82 games
    Conceded 3 or less runs - 90 games
    Scored more than 5 runs - 44 games!
    Conceded more than 5 runs - 32 games
    They lost series they should have won against the Rockies (lost 3 series to the worst team in the NL), Padres, D'Backs, Cubs and were swept by the Brewers. They lead the division by 7 1/2 games heading towards the AS break before a massive collapse. The team had the personnel but just did not put it together. That is under performing!!
    It was an extremely disappointing year!!
    Last edited by DownUnderDodger; 10-12-2012 at 11:15 PM. Reason: Updating

My final post in this thread, as I am already very excited about 2013.
    OF of Kemp, Crawford, and Ethier could be best in MLB, provided the latter two are 100% by spring. And if it is okay with the rest of you regulars, I'd like to start a 2013 thread pretty soon.

Quote Originally Posted by bhss89 View Post
    My final post in this thread, as I am already very excited about 2013.
    OF of Kemp, Crawford, and Ethier could be best in MLB, provided the latter two are 100% by spring. And if it is okay with the rest of you regulars, I'd like to start a 2013 thread pretty soon.
    Hopefully, if they can score some runs. Will Crawford stay fit for the season.........ok, that's for the 2013 thread so bring it on!!

Let's Go Lakers.
    No one can make you
    Do what they want to
    You know you're stronger
    Than the lies
    That they tell you

Quote Originally Posted by ChineseDemocracy View Post
    Let's Go Lakers.
    Outstanding! Saw whatever this is posted on the Angels site too. Maybe someone will say what it is all about, I'm not too interested in whatever it is. I would rather talk about the Dodgers.
    "It ain't braggin' if you can do it!" Dizzy Dean

"He was a natural athlete. He was also one of the strongest men I'd ever met. He could tear telephone books in half all day long. He never used a knife to cut an apple; he simply split it in two with his fingers. And he was fast. Dave could outrun anyone on our team. . . . The Lord had given freely to Dave." Willie Stargell on Dave Parker

Couple of things from Spring Training.

Yasiel Puig hit a gigantic home run.

http://www.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?co...tw_content_LAD

Dodgers cut a couple of players from the major league side.

Dallas McPherson and Nick Evans among them

McPherson is projected to hit .280/.381 and produce .4 WAR in 304 PA's by the systems available on FanGraphs.
    Evans is projected to hit .305/.400 and produce .5 WAR in 293 PA's by those same systems.

Basically, replacement players. Maybe a tad better
    Last edited by filihok; 03-03-2013 at 08:33 PM. Reason: added video

Blog Entries
    Why is vin scully not calling tonights game?

Quote Originally Posted by Cap78 View Post
    Why is vin scully not calling tonights game?
    He is, on KCAL channel 9.

BTW, this is 2013
    I see great things in baseball. It's our game - the American game.
    - Walt Whitman

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jnakamura View Post
    He is, on KCAL channel 9.

BTW, this is 2013
    Sorry, did not look closely

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234