Thread: CKL LFer of the 70s

CKL LFer of the 70s

--LF is one of the toughest spots to figure. Very few players spent the bulk of their playing time in LF in the 70s. Roy White compiled themost value strictly as a LFer, but there were alot of guys who had some good seasons there and more elsewhere; Stargell DH/LF, Foster LF/CF, Singleton LF/RF, Yaz LF/1B, Rose LF/3B, Staub LF/RF/DH. Rose and Yaz already have significant support in the 3B/1B polls and as such are not eligible for this one. Foster I was very much undecided on whether to list him here or save for CF, but decided he was a better fit here. Anyway vote for your top 5.

All Stars
    1970: 1) Billy Williams, 2) Yaz, WC) Stargell (Kenny Henderson CF)
    --MVP - Tommy Harper 6th, Henderson 8th
    1971: 1) Staub, 2) Northrup, WC) Stargell
    --MVP - Stargell 1st
    1972: 1) Williams, 2) White, WC) Johnny Briggs
    --MVP - White 5th, Briggs 9th, Williams 10th
    1973: 1) Rose, 2) Stargell
    --MVP - Stargell 1st, Rose 5th
    1974: 1) Kenny Henderson, 2) White, WC) Garr
    --MVP - Henderson 5th, Garr 8th
    1975: 1) White, 2) Briggs, WC) Stargell and Singleton
    --MVP - Singleton 1st
    1976: 1) Singleton, 2) Foster
    --MVP - Hal McRae 4th
    1977: Mitchell Page, 2) Bruce Bochte, WC) Oscar Gamble
    --MVP - Gamble 1st, Foster 7th, Singlton 8th, McRae 10th
    1978: 1) Greg Luzinski, 2) Jeff Burroughs
    --MVP - Burroughs 5th, Foster 7th
    1979: 1) Dave Kingman, 2) Foster
    --MVP - Foster 10th

--gonna be a deep field, so more in next post
    Attached Files Attached Files

--and 5 more
    Attached Files Attached Files

Chicago - The town that the World Series forgot
    Stargell and Singleton are must haves here. They stand head and shoulders above the pack. Foster and Williams are probably the next two in my book and then we have guys who had a couple good years mixed in with some average years and a few not so average years. Staub, White, and Henderson are probably the best of the remainders. I do kinda wish Rose was eligible here. He's only been named on 3 ballots at 3B, granted two of them named him as their first pick, but he's probably not going to win the position and he certainly deserves a spot on the all decade team. I guess he'll be the big WC choice.
    "I will calmly wait for my induction to the Baseball Hall of Fame."
    - Sammy Sosa

"Get a comfy chair, Sammy, cause its gonna be a long wait."
    - Craig Ashley (AKA Windy City Fan)

Mark is correct about the dearth of LFers. For what it's worth, here is a list of the players with most games at LF during the 70s. For comparison purposes and general info, I have also listed the top 25 in CF and in RF.

Capture.JPG CFers.JPG RFers.JPG

I could also post a list of total games played if anyone wanted, but since the program only permits the top 25 I don't think a lot of OFers would show up on it anyway. I'd really have a tough time including Stargell at any position, since he didn't even play 300 games in the field anywhere - and that only equates to 30 games per year. I'm thinking that since we used the DH the entire decade, he should go in as a DH. He obviously has to go in somewhere, since he has the most homers and second most RBIs, EBH and slugging percent for the decade.

I guess I would second Jack in supporting a DH position, with anyone qualifying.
    You see, you spend a good deal of your life gripping a baseball and in the end it turns out that it was the other way around all the time. J. Bouton

Let me throw four out here that Mark hasn't posted, and all are among the top six in games played in LF during the 70s:

brock.JPG

piniella.JPG

rudi.JPG

zisk.JPG
    You see, you spend a good deal of your life gripping a baseball and in the end it turns out that it was the other way around all the time. J. Bouton

Quote Originally Posted by Windy City Fan View Post
    Stargell and Singleton are must haves here. They stand head and shoulders above the pack. Foster and Williams are probably the next two in my book and then we have guys who had a couple good years mixed in with some average years and a few not so average years. Staub, White, and Henderson are probably the best of the remainders. I do kinda wish Rose was eligible here. He's only been named on 3 ballots at 3B, granted two of them named him as their first pick, but he's probably not going to win the position and he certainly deserves a spot on the all decade team. I guess he'll be the big WC choice.
    --Agree on Stargell and Singleton. A little more bullish on White than you are though. He was a very good player most years of the decade, although oly great maybe once. For those who are stricter about value compiled only at the position he did play the vast majority of his games in LF - and was alot better out there than Stargell or Singleton even when they did take the field.
    --I am mostly concerned with getting the best possible 40 players than equal representation by position though. Remember this is the nominating process for our Hall of Fame as well as a chance to look back on the decade. Of course, you don't have to make the All Decade team to make the Hall of Fame. Kaline didn't make the 60s team and added little value in the 70s, but got some write in support and eventually was inducted.

1) Willie Stargell: 2 MVP, 4th in RC and 3rd in RC per 27. You've got to make room for Pops on the team.
    2) Ken Singleton: an MVP and several more years in contention. Top 10 offense player for the decade.
    3) Roy White: Steady contributor at the bat, in the field and on the bases. 3 All Star teams and 1 year with MVP consideration.
    4) George Foster: one of the best hitters of the 2nd half of the decade. Made 4 of the last 5 All Star teams and was top 10 in the MVP in 3 of them.
    5) Johnny Briggs: Key contributor on most the good Gold Sox teams. Two time All Star and one year with MVP support.
    --Apologies to Billy Williams, but he already has the all 60s and HoF honors. Rose would have made my ballot, but probably in 5th place.

Sorry, but I still can't vote for a guy at a position he really didn't play. Stargell only started a TOTAL of 242 games in the field during the 70s: 72 at first; 138 in left (all for the Thunder in 1973); and 30 in RF (also all for the Thunder in 73). Basically, he played in the field ONE season, 1973, with a few starts at first base scattered here and there through the decade. It's unfortunate, but if there is no DH, Stargell simply doesn't make my team at any position. Well, maybe as the 40th man. Also didn't consider Staub, who only played 105 games in LF in the decade, back in 1971 for the Thunder. He played six times as many games in right as he did in left, but of course he would stand no chance in right field. There are some really big guns over there. At any rate, here's how I see it in LF.
    1. Ken Singleton - Great offensive numbers, and generally played in the field, although not always very well. Centerpiece to a couple of championship teams, too.
    2. Roy White - Many more games at the position and a better glove give him the edge over Briggs.
    3. Johnny Briggs - Put up very nice numbers for several seasons. His 6.1 RC/27 is the second highest of the players I considered at this position.
    4. Joe Rudi - Gets the nod over Ken Henderson because he played almost three times as many games at the position and wasn't too far behind with the stick.
    5. Ken Henderson - Now makes the list due to George Foster being moved to the CF ballot.
    Last edited by catcher24; 01-27-2012 at 07:38 AM.

That's a pretty good point Lew... but since we don't have a DH position, I'm inclined to lean the other way.

1. Willie Stargell
    2. Ken Singleton
    3. Roy White
    4. George Foster
    5. Johnny Briggs

--Since George Foster has yet to place in the top 3 in LF I'm going to give him another chance in CF (he actually played more there anyway). Please disregard him on ballots going forward here. If those who already voted want to edit please feel free to do so.

1. Singleton
    2. Stargell
    3. Williams
    4. White
    5. Henderson
    Illegitimi Non Carborundum

Chicago - The town that the World Series forgot
    1. Stargell
    2. Singleton
    3. Williams
    4. White
    5. Henderson
    "I will calmly wait for my induction to the Baseball Hall of Fame."
    - Sammy Sosa

"Get a comfy chair, Sammy, cause its gonna be a long wait."
    - Craig Ashley (AKA Windy City Fan)

Quote Originally Posted by leecemark View Post
    --Since George Foster has yet to place in the top 3 in LF I'm going to give him another chance in CF (he actually played more there anyway). Please disregard him on ballots going forward here. If those who already voted want to edit please feel free to do so.
    OK, I edited Foster out at #4, moved Rudi up one and put Ken Henderson in at #5.

Also, there will be a vote for the 40th man, correct? Because that is where I expect to cast my vote for Stargell. I'm obviously in the minority here, but I simply cannot justify electing a guy at a position he played for two thirds of one season. Geez, even Edgar Martinez played more games in the field than that over a ten year period.

Blog Entries
    1. Stargell
    2. Singleton
    3. White
    4. Briggs
    5. Henderson

Staargell
    Singleton
    White
    Williams
    Henderson
    Baseball statistics are like a girl in a bikini. They show a lot, but not everything. ~Toby Harrah

--We will have a 40th man election at the end of the process. Looks like Stargell won't have to wait to for that though.

1. Stargell
    2. Singleton
    3. White
    4. Rudi
    5. Williams

Quote Originally Posted by rmadachik View Post
    Staargell
    Singleton
    White
    Williams
    Henderson
    Ditto.....
    There are 10 kinds of people. Those who get binary and those who don't.

--Our closest race yet;

1) Stargell 39
    2) Singleton 38
    3) White 26
    4) Williams 13
    5) Johnny Briggs 7
    6) Ken Henderson 6
    7) Joe Rudi 4