Thread: The complexion of the NL Central now

The complexion of the NL Central now

No Pujols. No Fielder. A much needed closer added. Votto's still here. Bruce is really coming into his own. Chapman is maturing.

2012 should be a banner year at GABP. But can the Reds count on the favorable changes to end up in their favor?
    Bill Tom George Mark Bob Ernie Soupy Dick Alex Sparky
    Joe Gary MCA Emanuel Sonny Dave Earl Stan
    Jonathan Neil Roger Anthony Ray Thomas Art Don
    Gates Philip John Warrior Rik Casey Tony Horace
    Robin JEDI

The Cards and Crew sure got hit with some big losses, and the Reds definitely had the better off season in acquisitions. However, I still believe it will be a real tight race (barring injuries of course) and personally can't wait to see it all unfold in my favorite division! Yeah, I'm biased...
    "It ain't braggin' if you can do it!" Dizzy Dean

"I sure was having a picnic with Frisch. You oughta seen the fellows in the clubhouse when I was puttin' him on. They was duckin' behind posts, tryin' to keep Frank from seein' how they was laughin', an' I had a time keepin' a straight face myself. I hope Frank manages the Cardinals forever. I sure love to drive that Dutchman nuts!" Dizzy Dean

Quote Originally Posted by Herr28 View Post
    The Cards and Crew sure got hit with some big losses, and the Reds definitely had the better off season in acquisitions. However, I still believe it will be a real tight race (barring injuries of course) and personally can't wait to see it all unfold in my favorite division! Yeah, I'm biased...
    People wrote off the Cardinals after Adam Wainwright went down. Need I say more?
    Bill Tom George Mark Bob Ernie Soupy Dick Alex Sparky
    Joe Gary MCA Emanuel Sonny Dave Earl Stan
    Jonathan Neil Roger Anthony Ray Thomas Art Don
    Gates Philip John Warrior Rik Casey Tony Horace
    Robin JEDI

I really believe the planets are in alignment for the Reds to take this division if everyone just plays up to their potential. That has to happen. Scott Rolen needs to take one more dip in the Fountain of Youth. As he goes, so go the Reds. Hopefully Zack Cozart will be the answer at shortstop. The middle of this lineup...Votto, Rolen, Bruce, and Heisey/Ludwick have to produce with RISP. I am hoping that Ludwick will be reinvigorated that he is with the Reds and really wants to stick it to the Cardinals. Drew Stubbs has got to cease looking like the second coming of The Big Donkey and get on base. Also the pitching needs to be able to eat up some innings. If the starters can get to the sixth or seventh, it will be lights out with this bullpen now.

I believe everyone in this division has some issues. Beltran does not strike fear in the hearts of pitchers anymore and Matt Holliday is not going to have the protection of Albert Pujols in the lineup anymore as well. I just cannot see Lance Berkman putting up numbers as he did last year. If he does, people will start screaming that he is on the juice because he seems to be getting better and better.

Milwaukee has lost Fielder and Braun will miss the first 50 games in all likelihood. That lineup does not look nearly as opposing with Fielder missing.

Go Reds!!!

When did we pick up Ludwick? I missed that one!

I think the Reds' biggest obstacle is staying healthy - especially the pitching. Arroyo had an awful season last year, and we need Cueto to be strong all year.

The Ludwick signing is not official yet because he has not completed his physical. As soon as he does, he has agreed to a one year deal with the Reds. I really hope that Ludwick finds his stroke in GABP and we both know Dusty Baker well enough to know that he is going to play veterans!!!