Thread: Played for Most Defunct Franchises

Blog Entries

Played for Most Defunct Franchises

Which player post-1900 played for the most teams which would later become defunct (i.e. later change cities)?

I have Bobo Newsom with five: PHA WSH NYG SLB BRO

I tried to find some more modern players who were close but all I could find was 2 players with 3:

Diego Segui KCA SEP WAS
    Jim Gosger KCA SEP MON

Don Mincher (both Senators franchises and the Seattle Pilots) is another with three.
    "Heck, all I got was a $100 check. I should have kept it and framed it, but I had to eat".

Infielder Bob Hegman, when asked if he received a World Series ring for playing one inning of one game with the World
    Champion 1985 Kansas City Royals.

Blog Entries
    thanks. Danny O'Connell, who straddles the line between modern and not so modern also played for three (WAS MLN and NYG) and almost played for 4 because he was in the Brooklyn organization for about four years but never made it up with the Dodgers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spindlebrook View Post
    Don Mincher (both Senators franchises and the Seattle Pilots) is another with three.

If you count both the Phi A's & KC A's, Elmer Valo has four. He also played for Brooklyn and Washington.

Blog Entries
    Yes, that counts IMO. So Elmer is the runner-up to Bobo so far.
    Quote Originally Posted by Macker View Post
    If you count both the Phi A's & KC A's, Elmer Valo has four. He also played for Brooklyn and Washington.

Do FL teams count? What about a team which moves to a different city in the same metro area, like the Angels did?
    *** Submit your personal HOF as your ballot for the Single Ballot BBF Hall of Fame! *** Also: Buck the Fraves!

Blog Entries
    Do FL teams count?
    >>YES, they do.
    What about a team which moves to a different city in the same metro area, like the Angels did?
    >>NO ...... they dont.

Eddie Robinson he played for the Philadelphia Athletics, Kansas City Athletics and Washington Senators
    Last edited by hartman74; 02-01-2012 at 12:16 AM.

The record of five "defunct" teams as defined here is shared by four players, including the aforementioned Bobo Newsom. The others are below.

Jim Delahanty: New York Giants, Boston Braves, St. Louis Browns, Washington Senators, Brooklyn Tip-Tops (FL)
    Cy Falkenberg: Washington Senators, Indianapolis Hoosiers (FL), Brooklyn Tip-Tops (FL), Newark Pepper (FL), Philadelphia Athletics
    Tom Zachary: Philadelphia Athletics, Washington Senators, St. Louis Browns, Boston Braves, Brooklyn Dodgers

If you don't count the FL, then only Newsom and Zachary have five. There are 25 players with four teams.
    *** Submit your personal HOF as your ballot for the Single Ballot BBF Hall of Fame! *** Also: Buck the Fraves!

Blog Entries
    I did not think anybody was going to tie Bobo since he was the "king of trades". But you found three, including one without use of Federal League. Good job ! When I first checked, I went straight to finding someone in the early 20th century could have easily played with MLA, BAL, SLB, PHA, WSH ... and then one NL team with all the "jumping" that went on in '02 ... but could find none.
    Quote Originally Posted by DJC View Post
    The record of five "defunct" teams as defined here is shared by four players, including the aforementioned Bobo Newsom. The others are below.

Jim Delahanty: New York Giants, Boston Braves, St. Louis Browns, Washington Senators, Brooklyn Tip-Tops (FL)
    Cy Falkenberg: Washington Senators, Indianapolis Hoosiers (FL), Brooklyn Tip-Tops (FL), Newark Pepper (FL), Philadelphia Athletics
    Tom Zachary: Philadelphia Athletics, Washington Senators, St. Louis Browns, Boston Braves, Brooklyn Dodgers

If you don't count the FL, then only Newsom and Zachary have five. There are 25 players with four teams.