Thread: Pete Rose Auction Finds

Blog Entries

Pete Rose Auction Finds

Went to a auction the other night with my in laws and came home with these:

1972 World Series Program
    A coin From 1968 (I think)
    and an insert from 1978 Cincinnati Enquirer when Rose got his 3000th hit
    Attached Images Attached Images

I found a box of those type of coins when I was a kid with a Fred Lynn Royal Cola can. Everything was pretty rusted though.

I recall the Fred Lynn pop can was made out of steel and not aluminom.
    "(Shoeless Joe Jackson's fall from grace is one of the real tragedies of baseball. I always thought he was more sinned against than sinning." -- Connie Mack

"I have the ultimate respect for Whitesox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Redsox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country."--Jim Caple, ESPN (Jan. 12, 2011)

Quote Originally Posted by swingbelly View Post
    A coin From 1968 (I think)
    It's 1971 Topps.

Blog Entries
    Yup your right..1971..thats what I get for not doing my homework first

I collect a lot of Pete Rose stuff. I am trying to find a large resolution photo of the situation with Dave Pallone. I have found several small photos but I would love to blow it up into a 16 X 20 and have Rose and Pallone to sign.

Swingbelly, what did you end up paying for each (if you don't mind me asking)?

Quote Originally Posted by icee82 View Post
    I collect a lot of Pete Rose stuff. I am trying to find a large resolution photo of the situation with Dave Pallone. I have found several small photos but I would love to blow it up into a 16 X 20 and have Rose and Pallone to sign.
    The photo I'd love to get signed is Rose flipping the bird to the camera, or slightly off-camera, as Nolan Ryan smiles in the background. I had an 8X10 but it was the victim of a move.
    Bill Tom George Mark Bob Ernie Soupy Alex Sparky
    Joe Gary MCA Emanuel Sonny Dave Earl Stan
    Jonathan Neil Roger Anthony Ray Thomas Art Don
    Gates Philip John Warrior Rik Casey Tony Horace
    JEDI

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Cold Nose View Post
    The photo I'd love to get signed is Rose flipping the bird to the camera, or slightly off-camera, as Nolan Ryan smiles in the background. I had an 8X10 but it was the victim of a move.
    I'm digging around to see if I can find that one for you Captain, however...I did find this beauty:

*photo removed*
    Last edited by BSmile; 01-24-2013 at 05:43 AM.

That is actually Fred Lynn,not Nolan Ryan,taken at the 1980 All-Star game dinner.

Quote Originally Posted by Nimrod View Post
    That is actually Fred Lynn,not Nolan Ryan,taken at the 1980 All-Star game dinner.
    Which is why I said: "however...I did find this beauty"

Quote Originally Posted by BSmile View Post
    Which is why I said: "however...I did find this beauty"
    What I mean is there is no Nolan Ryan-Pete Rose picture in existence only the Fred Lynn.Lynn looks a lot like Ryan so it is understandable how one`s memory can be somewhat faulty through the passage of time.

Quote Originally Posted by swingbelly View Post
    Went to a auction the other night with my in laws and came home with these:

1972 World Series Program
    A coin From 1968 (I think) &
    An insert from 1978 Cincinnati Enquirer when Rose got his 3000th hit
    I went to an Elvis Costello & The Attractions concert on Friday Night, May 5, 1978 at the now defunct Capitol Theater in Passaic, NJ. The Nick Lowe & Dave Edmunds band, "Rockpile" and Willy De Ville were the opening acts. When I got home after midnight I learned from TV news that Pete Rose had gotten his 3,000th hit that night. B][/B](Wow, that really dates me!)

Quote Originally Posted by Nimrod View Post
    What I mean is there is no Nolan Ryan-Pete Rose picture in existence only the Fred Lynn.Lynn looks a lot like Ryan so it is understandable how one`s memory can be somewhat faulty through the passage of time.
    Well, there ya' go. So Captain...is the pic of Rose/Lynn actually the one you had?

Well, there ya' go. So Captain...is the pic of Rose/Lynn actually the one you had?
    Yes. I always thought it was a young Ryan, so I thought much earlier than 1980. As Robert E. Lee would say, "Too bad. Too bad,"

And, apologies, but I had to remove the picture per site rules. Thanks to Nimrod, though, inquiring minds can find the actual picture elsewhere if they have not already.
    JEDI

Yes. I always thought it was a young Ryan, so I thought much earlier than 1980...inquiring minds can find the actual picture elsewhere if they have not already.
    Here's the SFW edit so that everyone knows what photo we're talking about:
    Attached Images Attached Images

Despite my disillusionment I still think it's a classic.
    JEDI

Hey Pete...Buster Brown called...he wants his HAIRCUT back.
    "If I drink whiskey, I'll never get worms!" - Hack Wilson

I know that Pete Rose committed a heinous act...I get it but I have to admit that Pete's baseball playing days set an example with me that to this day, I still remember the lessons and apply them. Before anyone says it, I realize that based on published reports, he was a lousy father and not a very good husband either. Pete Rose the player was not the best hitter in the game, he was not the fastest runner, and he did not possess the strongest arm in the game. However he worked hard and hustled for everything that he got. He willed himself to be the best that he could be. I always followed that example in life. I am not the most intelligent guy in the world, I am not the best looking guy in the world, and I am not the strongest guy in the world. However I would like to think that I give everything in life 100% and I am a better person for following the example that Pete Rose established in my life very early. With that being said, I collect a lot of Rose signed items and I have met him several times. He has never disappointed me and has always been cordial.