Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 1901 Off Season Thread

yes there are some things you can do to 'force' teams to keep their pitchers in longer. it stil depends greatly on how the managers run their teams though. In sims I ran where i set average pitch counts at around 140 I was able to get the starters to complete around 80% of their games which is close to real life 1901 numbers.
    Baseball statistics are like a girl in a bikini. They show a lot, but not everything. ~Toby Harrah

Another option that I don't think anyone has suggested yet would be to have 2 owners manage 2 teams to get to 12. It's not ideal but it would keep the format as originally designed until we could find 2 more owners.
    Dan
    CKL - Maloy Boys
    P2PKL - Detroit Tigers

Dan

A lot of the guys in this league are already running 2 teams in CKL ... I know if I add another team along with the 2 CKL teams and running this league my wife may leave me forever lol
    Baseball statistics are like a girl in a bikini. They show a lot, but not everything. ~Toby Harrah

Are we going to have a trade-approval process?
    The Dark Knight is the best movie I've ever seen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDxgNjMTPIs

I don't think so. We don't have one in place in CKL and there has never been a problem. Did you have something in mind?

I dunno - some leagues I've seen do it so you can't have one team punt this year in return for an insane advantage in the future (ie trading 3 aging stars for 3 young stars). MLB has an approval process.

Also, are we going to have some sort of waiver system? I'd be against that idea.

I can't remember off the top of my head... are we going to allow trading for draft picks? I believe CKL does, but I don't remember seeing it spelled out in the rules.
    The Dark Knight is the best movie I've ever seen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDxgNjMTPIs

Quote Originally Posted by rmadachik View Post
    Dan

A lot of the guys in this league are already running 2 teams in CKL ... I know if I add another team along with the 2 CKL teams and running this league my wife may leave me forever lol
    Geez, Rich, do you really think that would work?
    You see, you spend a good deal of your life gripping a baseball and in the end it turns out that it was the other way around all the time. J. Bouton

I don't think so. We don't have one in place in CKL and there has never been a problem. Did you have something in mind?
    Actually, the commissioner has the authority to veto any trade that would prove detrimental to the league. I also seem to recall that there was proposed (and might even be) a committee to submit any questionable trades to,and I think I was on it. Guess that shows how few questionable trades we've had in the CKL - none to my knowledge. With largely the same group of owners, I expect that would continue.
    You see, you spend a good deal of your life gripping a baseball and in the end it turns out that it was the other way around all the time. J. Bouton

Gentlemen - We are now at 12 teams. Thanks in large part to Jack's decision to join. I know I am speaking for everyone here when I say that this league will benefit greatly from his addition.

Gentlemen - We are now at 12 teams. Thanks in large part to Jack's decision to join. I know I am speaking for everyone here when I say that this league will benefit greatly from his addition.
    I agree completely. Jack is a great owner and a fine addition to this league.

My team will be the Jamestown Express.

expresslogo.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by catcher24 View Post
    My team will be the Jamestown Express.

expresslogo.jpg
    Better than The Jammers, eh Lew?

Since we are naming teams, I would like to name my team after a small city in Pennsylvania. The Asylum Inmates. Logo to be posted ASAP.
    Ed
    There are 10 kinds of people. Those who get binary and those who don't.

Better than The Jammers, eh Lew?
    Yeah, I think so. I thought about the Seawolves because I like that logo, but then I decided to design my own. Not so professional looking, but it's mine.

For those not from this part of the county and not familiar with Jamestown's New-York Penn League entry, the Jamestown Jammers, I've included their logo below. Decide for yourselves. But if you're ever in this area, we do have a great ballpark and those short season A league kids give 110% because they want to be somewhere else some day. And for $5 for a reserved grand stand seat it's a pretty good deal, too.

Capture.JPG
    Last edited by catcher24; 02-09-2012 at 03:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by buppers View Post
    Since we are naming teams, I would like to name my team after a small city in Pennsylvania. The Asylum Inmates. Logo to be posted ASAP.
    Ed
    Wow, if I had saved the logos from Scott Carter's old PAP League, I'd have one for you. That was one of the team names in that league. Was that you, Ed?

Blog Entries
    I covered short-season A ball for an Orioles website this past summer. Didn't go on the road, but I think Jamestown came down to Aberdeen once. It's a lot of fun to watch, and all the players were great interviews.

My team will be the Kalamazoo Kumquats. The Zooquats for short.

Jack
    Illegitimi Non Carborundum

Yes, that was me. I think I used Jack Nicholson from the movie The Shining, smashing through the bathroom door. May resurrect it for the new league

Ed

I will be drawing draft positions today and the reverse of those results will be the stadium drafting positions. Please take time to check out the link on our league website for the ballpark factors. we will begin the stadium draft as soon as the positions are posted on a seperate thread.

Draft Positions for 1901 Re-Draft (using a snake format)

1. Jamestown Express
    2. Assylum Inmates
    3. Detroit Tigers
    4. Richmond Rams
    5. Laquey Sharks
    6. Anaheim Angels
    7. Seattle Dragons
    8. Tennessee Pioneers
    9. Cleveland Spiders
    10. Kalamazoo Kumquats
    11. Lighthouse Point Bums
    12. New Orleans Barons
    Last edited by rmadachik; 02-13-2012 at 05:34 PM.

My team will be the Lighthouse Point Bums. Lew will get it.

I don't have any computer graphics skills so I probably won't have a team logo, though it would be nice.

I will set you up with a logo ... along with any other teams who don't provide one

Quote Originally Posted by BigRon View Post
    My team will be the Lighthouse Point Bums. Lew will get it.

I don't have any computer graphics skills so I probably won't have a team logo, though it would be nice.
    Just do what I do. Search for what you want through Google Image Search. Save it and use it

urban_camo.jpg

How's this

Draft Positions for 1901 Re-Draft (using a snake format)

1. Jamestown Express
    2. Assylum Inmates
    3. Detroit Tigers
    4. Richmond Rams
    5. Laquey Sharks
    6. Anaheim Angels
    7. Seattle Dragons
    8. Tennessee Pioneers
    9. Cleveland Spiders
    10. Kalamazoo Kumquats
    11. Big Ron's Team
    12. New Orleans Barons
    Absolutely incredible! Had this happened when the CKL formed, I can absolutely guarantee that Willie Mays would have been a Legend, not a Knight (well, he was a legend anyway, but not with a capital L). Now the tough decision - who to take? In my mind it comes down to three players: Honus Wagner, Nap Lajoie and Christy Mathewson. Comments, anyone?

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast