Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 1901 Off Season Thread

Hey Lew, They are my top 3 too Since pitchers only go every 4th or 5th game, I will go with Wagner or Lajoie. So basically, you are making my pick for me.( Unless you make the unlikely pick of Mathewson)

Ed
    There are 10 kinds of people. Those who get binary and those who don't.

Quote Originally Posted by BigRon View Post
    My team will be the Lighthouse Point Bums. Lew will get it.

I don't have any computer graphics skills so I probably won't have a team logo, though it would be nice.
    Yup, I get it.

Here's another logo option:

bumslogo.jpg
    You see, you spend a good deal of your life gripping a baseball and in the end it turns out that it was the other way around all the time. J. Bouton

Quote Originally Posted by buppers View Post
    Hey Lew, They are my top 3 too Since pitchers only go every 4th or 5th game, I will go with Wagner or Lajoie. So basically, you are making my pick for me.( Unless you make the unlikely pick of Mathewson)

Ed

Sure glad you all have player ratings figured out already. Anyone got some for sale?

Jack
    Illegitimi Non Carborundum

Ed
    Discussed this with Dan (Erik) as well, a couple of days ago. It will be either Wagner or Lajoie; just can't justify taking a pitcher, no matter how good, with the top pick. Leaning towards Wagner, but will have to take another look at their stats. Either way, Ed, I figure we both win this one. And the Tigers ain't in too bad shape, either, huh Dan (Scuba)?
    You see, you spend a good deal of your life gripping a baseball and in the end it turns out that it was the other way around all the time. J. Bouton

Blog Entries
    Wagner is clearly the fourth-best player in this draft. There are three other guys I would absolutely take ahead of him without a moment's hesitation.

Another possible logo for your consideration, Ron. I could also adjust the colors/font of the lettering, etc. if that interests you.

bumslogo2.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Bedard View Post
    Wagner is clearly the fourth-best player in this draft. There are three other guys I would absolutely take ahead of him without a moment's hesitation.
    Would that view have anything to do with the fact you're drafting FOURTH Dan?

Nice try though!!

I love how we can decide that a pitcher might be the best option available then simultaneously decide there's no way we want to take them because they only pitch every few days. I mean, by that logic, everyone should select their starting 9 before the first SP gets taken - and we all know that doesn't make any sense.

The Dark Knight is the best movie I've ever seen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDxgNjMTPIs

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by catcher24 View Post
    Would that view have anything to do with the fact you're drafting FOURTH Dan?

Nice try though!!
    Shhhhh. They'll figure it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Wade8813 View Post
    I love how we can decide that a pitcher might be the best option available then simultaneously decide there's no way we want to take them because they only pitch every few days. I mean, by that logic, everyone should select their starting 9 before the first SP gets taken - and we all know that doesn't make any sense.

What we are saying is when several players are equally ranked then we will almost always take the position player. If you look over some CKL drafts you will see pitchers taken above position players early in the draft. The coming CKL draft should see Fernando go fast - probably before I pick at #4.

What we are saying is when several players are equally ranked then we will almost always take the position player. If you look over some CKL drafts you will see pitchers taken above position players early in the draft. The coming CKL draft should see Fernando go fast - probably before I pick at #4.
    If they're really equally valuable, why does it matter which you take first?

Also, maybe that's what people mean, but that's not what they say. When someone says they can't justify taking a pitcher with the first pick (no matter how good), that means if Walter Johnson had his rookie season in 1901, you wouldn't even consider taking him.

(I'm not picking on you catcher24. I've heard a LOT of people say the same thing)

If they're really equally valuable, why does it matter which you take first?

Also, maybe that's what people mean, but that's not what they say. When someone says they can't justify taking a pitcher with the first pick (no matter how good), that means if Walter Johnson had his rookie season in 1901, you wouldn't even consider taking him.

(I'm not picking on you catcher24. I've heard a LOT of people say the same thing)
    I don't consider a pitcher equally valuable at all. I prefer someone who will play 150+ games instead of 40+.

So then will you take your entire starting lineup before you take your first SP? Because that's what you just said.

So then will you take your entire starting lineup before you take your first SP? Because that's what you just said.
    everyone has their own method of rating player's worth. If you place more emphasis on a top end starter than others then that's great for you especialy if they are drafting ahead of you. We make a point of not being too openly critical of other owners strategies here. The gentswho you are in disagrement with have been huge winners in the CKL league for a reason.
    Baseball statistics are like a girl in a bikini. They show a lot, but not everything. ~Toby Harrah

Quote Originally Posted by rmadachik View Post
    everyone has their own method of rating player's worth. If you place more emphasis on a top end starter than others then that's great for you especialy if they are drafting ahead of you. We make a point of not being too openly critical of other owners strategies here. The gentswho you are in disagrement with have been huge winners in the CKL league for a reason.
    I'm not even discussing their strategy - not really. I'm saying that their statements don't line up with their actions. It's not really a big deal though.

Personally I have been baxk and forth on this thought process. Having run a club that was heavy on hitting and weak on pitching I can say I never want to go through that type of season again (also growing up in cleveland and witnessing the Indians of the 90's assemble rag tag rotations year after year),

Christy Matthewson, regardless of the fact that he is my favorite player of all time, to me would be the first pick . . . the only downside is that since you only get 8 years max you miss out on a lot of great pitching from him. Wagners glove is solid most of his career at a position of relative weakness in the 1900's, as is Lajoie's and both are terrors with the bat. I agree they are the top three with some very great players just behind them.

I would say that I am glad I don't have to make that decision you do Lew ... but I'd be lying.
    Baseball statistics are like a girl in a bikini. They show a lot, but not everything. ~Toby Harrah

Actually, thats not what he said. He said he "prefers" someone who plays 150+ games over someone who plays 40+. When his turn comes up he will take his player rankings and pick the player that he thinks will help his team the most. You or I, with the same team may take another player with that pick. I may be playing for current season while someone else may be building for the future. So if someone ranks players different than you do you have a better chance of getting the player you want. So if you think someone is ranking players wrong you should sit back and take advantage. Who knows, you could end up with 8 HOF caliber pitchers and lose 100 games 2 - 1.

???

1901 is Mathewson's first full season. You basically get his entire career.

???

1901 is Mathewson's first full season. You basically get his entire career.
    The initial draft of 1901 players has contract length restrictions. They are posted in the rules thread

Quote Originally Posted by jaybird_1981 View Post
    I don't consider a pitcher equally valuable at all. I prefer someone who will play 150+ games instead of 40+.
    Actually, thats not what he said. He said he "prefers" someone who plays 150+ games over someone who plays 40+. When his turn comes up he will take his player rankings and pick the player that he thinks will help his team the most. You or I, with the same team may take another player with that pick. I may be playing for current season while someone else may be building for the future. So if someone ranks players different than you do you have a better chance of getting the player you want. So if you think someone is ranking players wrong you should sit back and take advantage. Who knows, you could end up with 8 HOF caliber pitchers and lose 100 games 2 - 1.
    He said he doesn't consider them equally valuable at all because someone who plays 150+ games is worth more.

In reality he's probably not going to pick like that, but that's what he said.

Quote Originally Posted by rmadachik View Post
    The initial draft of 1901 players has contract length restrictions. They are posted in the rules thread
    Oh, okay. I thought you were saying you only get 8 years from him compared to more years from other people.

tell you what lew ... i'm willing to swap you your number 1 pick for my spot in the stadium draft at #4 .... and a future 4th rounder

nah .... just would be a shame to have him for 8 years and then watch someone else enjoy that awesome 1909 season. It will be very interesting to see how teams aproach the first 2 or 3 rounds of this draft.

No it isn't at all. When I draft I take whatever player I deem will help my team the most but if I have two players rated fairly even I will take the position player.
    Last edited by jaybird_1981; 02-12-2012 at 08:55 AM.

Ed, you can bet your life on it my friend without worry. I lucked into the #2 pick, and there's only one guy I would take over Fernando.

Regarding Wade's post, you're kind of mixing apples and oranges. If it wasn't for the fact that this is a league formation draft and not a rookie draft, and that there are two everyday players available who many still consider the best ever at their respective positions even though they played over 100 years ago, Mathewson would be an easy top pick. We have had a several rookie drafts in the CKL where the top player taken was a pitcher. It just depends on who else is available. With Wagner (frequently included in all time top 10 player lists) and Lajoie available for everyday play, they just nudge out Mathewson - and not by much, either. It's almost a coin flip.

If Walter Johnson was available as a rookie in 1901, I WOULD make him the top pick, even over Wagner and Lajoie. That's how highly I think of Walter. I guarantee you now, without looking at who else is even a rookie that year, that in 1907 Walter Johnson will go #1.
    Last edited by catcher24; 02-12-2012 at 12:00 PM.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast