Thread: Baseball pensions

Baseball pensions

I was wondering if anyone knew how MLB pensions work. I always heard that a player has to have 10 years service in to recieve a pension but does that player get credit even if say he played in only 5 games in a given year?

I also was curious on how much does MLB pay a player per year for thier pensions. I'm guessing they recieve a pension until death too.
    "(Shoeless Joe Jackson's fall from grace is one of the real tragedies of baseball. I always thought he was more sinned against than sinning." -- Connie Mack

"I have the ultimate respect for Whitesox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Redsox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country."--Jim Caple, ESPN (Jan. 12, 2011)

When the pension plan started a player had to have been a five year veteran to qualify. Currently I believe that a player has to appear in one Major League game to qualify for the pension plan.

In the 80s I worked for for a bank and saw posted checks for a Major Leaguer who had played for about a decade. His pension checks were for a pretty good amount.