Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Greatest Baserunner of All Time? A completely new take...

Quote Originally Posted by bluesky5 View Post
    If a black guy doesn't want to be accused of not hustling then he should become a black guy who does hustle.
    Can you list for us some black guys who hustle, and some white guys who don't hustle?

Hustle - Pierre, Granderson, Pokey Reese, Andrus

Don't - Holliday, Greinke, Dunn, Pat Burrell,

Quote Originally Posted by SavoyBG View Post
    Can you list for us some white guys who don't hustle?
    Greg Luzinski
    Gus Triandos
    Mike Redmond
    Les Moss
    Charlie O'Brien
    Marc Hill
    Josh Bard
    Mythical SF Chronicle scouting report: "That Jeff runs like a deer. Unfortunately, he also hits AND throws like one." I am Venus DeMilo - NO ARM! I can play like a big leaguer, I can field like Luzinski, run like Lombardi. The secret to managing is keeping the ones who hate you away from the undecided ones. I am a triumph of quantity over quality. I'm almost useful, every village needs an idiot.
    Good traders: MadHatter(2), BoofBonser26, StormSurge

Hustle - Pierre, Granderson, Pokey Reese, Andrus

Don't - Holliday, Greinke, Dunn, Pat Burrell,
    I think Dunn tries to hustle, but he can't get out of his own way. And it's hard to hustle while you're striking out.
    "Tactics were resorted to, unworthy of fair, manly players" - Brooklyn Eagle, June 12,1890

Quote Originally Posted by ol' aches and pains View Post
    I think Dunn tries to hustle, but he can't get out of his own way. And it's hard to hustle while you're striking out.
    Haha, lacking hustle out of necessity.

Quote Originally Posted by ol' aches and pains View Post
    I think most of the other white guys listed as non-hustlers are big slow guys. I've seen Pat Burrell hustle many times. He just is slow to react to balls in the field and is slow on the basepaths. I have a clear memory of Burrell hustling as he stretched out a double into a triple in Arizona one time.
    Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.-Crash Davis

Just doodling with numbers and weightings for speed, along with some Baseball-Reference and other data on baserunning values, I made an attempt to quantify top baserunners in terms of total bases and bases converted to runs value.

This is no treatise. It was an enjoyable exercise. I tried to apply values equitably across the period 1901 to the present. I may have penalized some of the older guys ... not too much, I believe.

Player .........................Runs

Henderson...................315
    V. Coleman..................252
    Brock..........................215
    Raines........................211
    W. Wilson...................190
    Cobb..........................168
    Lofton........................157
    Campaneris.................145
    Lopes........................132
    Ho. Wagner.................130
    C. Crawford................123
    Pierre.........................122
    Wills...........................121
    Grissom......................115
    Aparicio......................111
    Moreno......................111
    Ba. Bonds...................110
    Mays.........................105
    J. Rollins.....................104
    M. Carey....................101
    Otis...........................101
    E. Collins....................100
    LeFlore.......................100

Guys with incomplete careers, abbreviated careers, and one outstanding cup of coffee who just excelled [and each seems to qualify as a baserunner with "smarts" include]:

Dave Roberts
    Ichiro Suzuki
    Ross Youngs
    Jackie Robinson
    Jacoby Ellsbury
    Sam Jethroe [the cup of coffee] ... segregation and age

Last summer, I read the recent biography on Willie Mays, which runs nearly 600 pages. It was one of the most thoroughly researched bios I've ever read on a baseball player, and one of the impressive matters which I noticed as I read was how often the author was able to tell a Mays story from specific games over his career. Several of these stories involved baserunning and his exploits on basepaths to use his speed early in his career. A typical story would involve a close game, where a potentially decisive run might score on a Mays hit and Mays would attempt to take an extra base at the expense of a rundown. It appeared to onlookers that Mays would deliberately take undue risk in the name of enticing a lead runner to attempt to score by drawing a throw. This happened often enough that it came to mind as I read this thread. He trusted his quick reflexes, and would sacrifice himself for the sake of the team like no one else at the time, and maybe since. I'm not sure any of that could be quantified, but sometimes anecdotal evidence will swing the balance when the numbers decide the matter.
    Catfish Hunter, RIP. Mark Fidrych, RIP. Skip Caray, RIP. Tony Gwynn, #19, RIP

A fanatic is someone who can't change his mind and won't change the subject. -- Winston Churchill.

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test first and the lesson later. -- Dan Quisenberry.

I think you are falling victim to the "white guys are hustlers" and "black guys are lazy" syndrome here. You picked out three white guys as your examples of great hustling baserunners and then say that the black guy, Henderson, dogged it.

Usually when a player is described as "scrappy, with a lot of heart" it's a white guy like Phil Garner or David Eckstein or Craig Counsell.

Usually when a player is described as selfish or dogging it, it's a black guy like Henderson, Barry Bonds, or Dick Allen.

Let's also not forget who has 'blue collar work ethics' versus who has an 'instinct' for what to do.

Wow, I thought I was lame for noticing these types of 'hidden' meanings, and you both pointed out two that I have heard often and completely ignored. Just wow and thx!

Quote Originally Posted by csh19792001 View Post
    I consider baserunning separate than base stealing.

By that definition, Henderson was not the best baserunner in history, and not even close. In fact he didn't even run the bases nearly as hard as he could have; he mostly ran to pad his own SB stats, which he cared about more than anything else. If you doubt that, read what he's said about his baseunning totals....proclaiming himself as "The Greatest Ever" when he passed Brock, or his giant "1406" medallion necklace he wears in public to this day.

Code:
    LEADERS
    1979-2003

PLATE APPEARANCES               PA     
    1    Rickey Henderson          13346  
    2    Cal Ripken                12883   
    3    Paul Molitor              11604   
    4    Eddie Murray              11461   
    5    Harold Baines             11092   
    6    Rafael Palmeiro           10973   
    7    Barry Bonds               10967   
    8    Wade Boggs                10740   
    9    Tim Raines                10359   
    10   Tony Gwynn                10232   
    11   Roberto Alomar            10210   
    12   Ozzie Smith               10110   
    13   Fred McGriff              10093   
    14   Chili Davis                9996   
    15   Craig Biggio               9990   
    16   Gary Gaetti                9817   
    17   Brett Butler               9545   
    18   Andre Dawson               9451   
    19   Robin Yount                9380   
    20   Lou Whitaker               9363 

DOUBLES                         2B     
    1    Cal Ripken                  603   
    2    Paul Molitor                579   
    3    Wade Boggs                  578   
    T4   Rafael Palmeiro             543   
    T4   Tony Gwynn                  543   
    6    Barry Bonds                 536   
    7    Craig Biggio                517   
    8    Mark Grace                  511   
    9    Rickey Henderson            510   
    10   Eddie Murray                499   
    11   Roberto Alomar              498   
    12   George Brett                496   
    13   Edgar Martinez              492   
    14   Harold Baines               488   
    15   John Olerud                 473   
    16   Robin Yount                 465   
    17   Jeff Bagwell                455   
    18   Paul O'Neill                451   
    19   Andre Dawson                449   
    20   Andres Galarraga            444  

TRIPLES                         3B     
    1    Willie Wilson               145   
    2    Brett Butler                131   
    3    Lance Johnson               117   
    4    Tim Raines                  113   
    5    Paul Molitor                110   
    6    Steve Finley                108   
    7    Robin Yount                 103   
    8    Juan Samuel                 102   
    9    Willie McGee                 94   
    10   Tony Fernandez               92   
    11   Andy Van Slyke               91   
    12   Vince Coleman                89   
    13   Kenny Lofton                 86   
    14   Tony Gwynn                   85   
    15   George Brett                 84   
    16   Andre Dawson                 80   
    T17  Roberto Alomar               78   
    T17  Alfredo Griffin              78   
    19   Ryne Sandberg                76   
    T20  Delino DeShields             74   
    T20  Barry Bonds                  74   
    T22  Barry Larkin                 73   
    T22  Garry Templeton              73   
    24   Dave Martinez                72   
    T25  Mookie Wilson                71   
    T25  Devon White                  71   
    T27  Omar Moreno                  70   
    T27  Luis Polonia                 70   
    T29  Jose Offerman                69   
    T29  Ozzie Guillen                69   
    31   Johnny Damon                 68   
    T32  Jay Bell                     67   
    T32  Brady Anderson               67   
    T34  Rickey Henderson             66  [/B] 
    T34  Lloyd Moseby                 66
    From 1979-2003, the "greatest baserunner of all time" hit as many triples as guys with HALF his PA's or less. Guys like Jose Offerman, Brady Anderson and Lloyd Moseby? Seriously? That's flat out pathetic. Sadly, the Rickey usually didn't go all out unless it padded his totals, and his double and triple totals prove it. You have guys like Brett Butler, Paul Molitor, and Robin Yount, who had nowhere near the raw speed but hustled on HELL of a lot more and were much better baserunners than Rickey Henderson ever was.
    Not to debate the point, but your point would be the same if Henderson had stolen 3,000 bases. You seem to suggest that you can only be the best if you are among the best in every aspect of baserunning. Being incredibly superior in getting on base 4,500 times and stealing second/third 1,400 times is trumped by not getting an extra 30 triples or 100 doubles. I don't follow that logic.

Musial I'm sure had far MORE doubles and triples and far FEWER walks and stolen bases. You, I think, would conclude that Musial was a better baserunner. This turns logic on it's head. Musial was a far superior hitter. Once the ball had left the bat, he got as far as his average foot speed would take him. Henderson, was a bonafied hall of famer, who never would have seen the hall had he not taken a batting style to get on base and to use his talents to steal base after base. Simply hitting the ball, in his best season, he was not as good as Musial in Musial's best 10.
    Last edited by drstrangelove; 02-14-2012 at 01:05 PM.

I think you are falling victim to the "white guys are hustlers" and "black guys are lazy" syndrome here. You picked out three white guys as your examples of great hustling baserunners and then say that the black guy, Henderson, dogged it.

Usually when a player is described as "scrappy, with a lot of heart" it's a white guy like Phil Garner or David Eckstein or Craig Counsell.

Usually when a player is described as selfish or dogging it, it's a black guy like Henderson, Barry Bonds, or Dick Allen.
    It's funny how the racist reads race into every statement, and tries to label others (when they clearly should be looking in the mirror). I could have mentioned Willie Wilson, Lance Johnson, and Tim Raines from that list. I watched Molitor and Butler, and they ran the bases better and hustled more than Henderson. Earlier in the thread I mentioned Ichiro- for all his INCREDIBLE speed and SB's- is NOT a great baserunner, and this shows up in his extra bases taken % and his very low number of triples. Does that have anything to do with him being non Caucasian also, right?

I brought up three guys who ACTUALLY hustled, and ran the bases hard. That shows up in their triples total, for one.

And as far as your BS about walks, use triples per career AB instead of per PA. The Rickey is still pathetic because he didn't really hustle on the basepaths, unless it involved padding his SB totals. Period.

If a black guy doesn't want to be accused of not hustling then he should become a black guy who does hustle.
    Atta boy!

Quote Originally Posted by drstrangelove View Post
    You seem to suggest that you can only be the best if you are among the best in every aspect of baserunning. I don't follow that logic.
    No, my point is that baserunning is FAR MORE than base stealing. And its also more important over the course of a career, because everyone runs the bases almost every game, but base stealing is not a constant, every game. Take a guy like Brett Butler, who was constantly running, hustled his ass off down the line beating out bunts, infield hits, and reaching on error. He had 109 infield hits in 1992!! Yet, Butler only attempted a stolen base 19% of the time, but was on base over 3,000 times. Base running is integral, but has gone almost totally uncredited directly until very recently.

Musial I'm sure had far MORE doubles and triples and far FEWER walks and stolen bases. You, I think, would conclude that Musial was a better baserunner.

Musial hustled a hell of a lot more than Henderson. He ran harder, turned doubles into triples, and singles into doubles. Read what Broeg and Stanton wrote about his speed and adroitness at taking the extra base in their respective biographical works on The Donora Greyhound. Henderson had much more what the scouts would call "warning track power" in comparison to a guy like Musial. This should have led to MORE doubles and triples per AB versus a guy with a ton of home runs, not LESS (often FAR less, when compared to most of his contemporaries).

And the other thing to consider is that Rickey- esp. in his early days- was allowed to run whenever he wanted to. Martin allowed it. Rickey also played in an era of the resurgence of stolen base. In both leagues. Guys were stealing 80-100+ a year, when in Musial's prime, people were leading the league with maybe 20-40 steals...

I have absolutely no doubt Mantle was faster and others from different eras much better baserunner than Rickey Henderson, but all most do is focus on the stolen base totals.

We have to look much deeper at the entire picture to have an honest and comprehensive conversation about baserunning.
    Last edited by csh19792001; 02-14-2012 at 06:07 PM.

Rickey was too busy drawing walks way more often than Offerman, Anderson and Moseby, plus he played in bad parks for triples (Oakland, Yankee Stadium) for most of his career.
    "Too busy drawing walks". Fine, forget all the walks, then.

So, "the parks" are the reason why he has the same number of career triples as Jose Offerman (who had HALF the career AB's as Rickey)....Brady Anderson (little over half)...and Lloyd Moseby (little over HALF his career AB's).

Yeah, it was definately "the parks", and NOT Rickey's tremendous lack of hustle (and/or inability) to stretch doubles into triples.
    Last edited by csh19792001; 02-14-2012 at 06:07 PM.

It's funny how the racist reads race into every statement, and tries to label others (when they clearly should be looking in the mirror).
    He responded to this specific quote and post:

"I You have guys like Brett Butler, Paul Molitor, and Robin Yount, who had nowhere near the raw speed but hustled on HELL of a lot more and were much better baserunners than Rickey Henderson ever was."

He may not have, read every single other word you've written. So, look again, and read this one post in isolation. Does his response have merit?

You could have argued it was out of context, and that you've also named many others as paragons, irrespective of race. But you did not.

Now, how you can shamefaced call him a racist for seeing something in that post, well, that I leave to you.
    To accuse someone else of what you are defending, seems, more avoidance than anything.

Posted 1/10/2008 on a previous "greatest baserunner" thread.

"ipitch" nails it, per his usual

Quote Originally Posted by ipitch View Post
    I can't vote for a guy (Rickey) that never hustled out of the box. The catcher on his own team (Mike Heath) had more triples than Rickey two years in a row, in fewer ABs!

Originally posted by HDH:

Vince Coleman was certainly special. He would beat out a grounder then, on base, everyone was sure he was going to steal. He would lean back toward 1B to help avoid being thrown out by the pitcher then take off to 2B. After stealing 2B, he was off to 3B. He scored so many runs in innings the Cards had no hits, just a couple of groundouts or fly outs and scored from 1B on routine singles because he was off with the pitch. Others I remember were Willie Wilson and Kirk Gibson.

Pete Rose was smart. He would take a base on any situation and then distract the fielders in order for his teammates to take that extra base or score. How many TV shotss do you see Pete Rose on base waiving to his teamamtes to take that extra base? All of them! Rose was exceptional.

Jackie Robinson was fast and daring. He was a running back in college and big for a baseball player. He intimidated defenders because he wasn't afraid to crash violently into unsuspecting or suspecting baseman waiting to tag him.

Ty Cobb is a legend and has to be considered the greatest base runner. He is documented for making outs on the base when it might not be as important just to set up the fielder into making an error on the next time Cobb was on base. Every run mattered in Cobb's time and he wanted his team to be the one who scored it, one way or another. He was possesed. All players round a bag wide whentaking multiple bases. Not Cobb. I read that he had a tecnique where he would push off the bag with his inner foot, pivoting straight toward the next bag in order to avoid rounding the bag. What most people don't know is that most of the famous photos are intended show this detail.

My opinion is that Billy Hamilton is the greatest base runner. The objective is to score runs and Hamilton is one of three players (Harry Stovey, George Gore) to score more runs than games played. His SB total is aided by the rules of the time but, he's sure to be among all time leaders regardless. Billy Hamilton established the prototype for a leadoff hitter forever with his ability to get on base, disrupt the defense, and score runs.

No, my point is that baserunning is FAR MORE than base stealing. And its also more important over the course of a career, because everyone runs the bases almost every game, but base stealing is not a constant, every game. Take a guy like Brett Butler, who was constantly running, hustled his ass off down the line beating out bunts, infield hits, and reaching on error. He had 109 infield hits in 1992!! Yet, Butler only attempted a stolen base 19% of the time, but was on base over 3,000 times. Base running is integral, but has gone almost totally uncredited directly until very recently.
    Henderson has 162 runs created from just stealing bases. If he "hustled" (your opinon) to get 200 more doubles and 35 more triples, he would have added a whopping 27 runs created to the total. Not bad. But one could say the same thing about every hitter. Did Mays hustle? Did Ruth? Williams? Hornsby? Mantle? Schmidt?

Again, my point is that his runs created from baserunning are being ignored because you want to punish him for not doing more.

Taking an extra base on a double 50 times in a career is no different than stealing third base 50 times. It's not 10x more important. It's the same. Henderson reached third and second more than any other player in history based based upon his baserunning. Taking an extra base is the same whether it's from stealing or stretching a hit. Unless you can show how one better than the other....

Musial hustled a hell of a lot more than Henderson. He ran harder, turned doubles into triples, and singles into doubles. Read what Broeg and Stanton wrote about his speed and adroitness at taking the extra base in their respective biographical works on The Donora Greyhound. Henderson had much more what the scouts would call "warning track power" in comparison to a guy like Musial. This should have led to MORE doubles and triples per AB versus a guy with a ton of home runs, not LESS (often FAR less, when compared to most of his contemporaries).

And the other thing to consider is that Rickey- esp. in his early days- was allowed to run whenever he wanted to. Martin allowed it. Rickey also played in an era of the resurgence of stolen base. In both leagues. Guys were stealing 80-100+ a year, when in Musial's prime, people were leading the league with maybe 20-40 steals...

I have absolutely no doubt Mantle was faster and others from different eras much better baserunner than Rickey Henderson, but all most do is focus on the stolen base totals.

We have to look much deeper at the entire picture to have an honest and comprehensive conversation about baserunning.
    I'm lost. Musial in the years we have records, from ages 30-34 stole 20 bases and was caught stealing 27 times. If he wasn't slow, then he was stupid. I know for a fact tho that he was far from stupid. But to get to the meat of it, who cares if a slow guy revs his arms up a lot and huffs and puffs around the bases. I don;t care if someone LOOKS like they hustle. LOOKS don't score runs.

If you want to think that a smart baserunner who was thrown out 57% of the time got triples and double because he huffed and puffed as opposed to hitting screaming liners 430 feet to the wall, then so be it.

Henderson has 162 runs created from just stealing bases. If he "hustled" (your opinon) to get 200 more doubles and 35 more triples, he would have added a whopping 27 runs created to the total. Not bad. But one could say the same thing about every hitter. Did Mays hustle? Did Ruth? Williams? Hornsby? Mantle? Schmidt?

Again, my point is that his runs created from baserunning are being ignored because you want to punish him for not doing more.

Taking an extra base on a double 50 times in a career is no different than stealing third base 50 times. It's not 10x more important. It's the same. Henderson reached third and second more than any other player in history based based upon his baserunning. Taking an extra base is the same whether it's from stealing or stretching a hit. Unless you can show how one better than the other....
    Because if you hustle out a triple and the batter hits a fly ball to the OF you can score. If you leg out a double and the batter hits a sharp liner or grounder up the middle you can score. C'mon man.

Is it a numbers guy thing that getting on base is of paramount importance but taking an extra base is no great shakes? Especially if it puts the runner in scoring position and takes away the chance for a double play?

Quote Originally Posted by EdTarbusz View Post
    Is it a numbers guy thing that getting on base is of paramount importance but taking an extra base is no great shakes? Especially if it puts the runner in scoring position and takes away the chance for a double play?
    The game, as it is played between the lines, in the real world, with stats as his BYLINE, not stats as the entire frame of reference (go watch some games live and learn about the actual game of baseball in vivo!! Imagine that...)

People like Ed Tarbusz...the converse of the ultimate intellectual indolence prevailing on the internet, especially this forum....as per the usual over the years here.....yet another crackerjack fan/"Netizen" looking at/drooling over naked numbers without understanding them, and drawing all of one's conclusions from them, entirely devoid- or divested of- everything that went into the creation of those naked numbers.

This is one of THE classic "numbers slave" versus "Ed Tarbusz type" digression, transgression, and dissension...
    Last edited by csh19792001; 02-15-2012 at 08:10 PM.

Because if you hustle out a triple and the batter hits a fly ball to the OF you can score. If you leg out a double and the batter hits a sharp liner or grounder up the middle you can score. C'mon man.
    Thank you, bluesky.

A contingent here says, "let's just blindly look at the numbers!" Rickey Henderson had the same number of triples as many guys with HALF his career AB's not because he was a completely self indulgent and lazy stat monger, but because it was "the parks" that resulted in his completely pathetic triples numbers, and pretty pathetic doubles rates by comparison, to boot.

Let's reduce the entirety of baseball history and shrinkwrap it into a few Excel Spreadsheets. Treat our entire perspective (and study of) baseball history as, de facto, a video game. Remove every bit of humanity from it.

What would be the harm in that?
    Last edited by csh19792001; 02-15-2012 at 08:14 PM.

Blog Entries
    Previous thread on this topic

On triples:

"If you hit a line drive or a flyball how is your speed going to help you beat out a throw at first base? Rickey Henderson wasn't some Mark McLemore type player who beats the ball into the ground and then sprints to first. Rickey was a patient hitter who took walks and hit well.

Triples are largely dependant on era, stadium layout, and the type of hitter one is. Rickey Henderson was a right handed hitter playing in an era not conducive to triples. As a right handed hitter his natural side was left field. He simply wasn't going to be sending many balls rattling down the right field side.

Lance Johnson led the league in triples year after year for awhile. He batted from the left side.
    Willie Wilson led the league several times, he was a switch hitter who had over 2/3 of his triple batting from the left side.
    Gary Templeton was a switch hitter who led the league several times and again he hit 2/3 of his triples from the left side.
    Jose Reyes is a switch hitter who has hit about 85% of his triples from the left side.
    Leading the league in triples is mostly done by left handed hitters not right handed hitters.

Secondly I think you are confusing what a triple means today with what a triple meant in Cobb's day. A triple in Cobb's day was largely based on power and stadium. The fields were huge and the outfielders tended to play shallow. If you could knock one over their heads or crush one by them you had a triple or an inside the park homer. The people hitting the triples back then were not the Willie Wilson type hitters but the sluggers.

Stealing home is not really that common anymore. Again it is an era thing. In Cobb's day we have a lot more attempts and this theft then we do nowadays.

As for doubles I fail to see why being fast would make you lead the league in doubles. It can certainly help you stretch singles into doubles but why would it make you lead the league in doubles? Generally the top names in the leaderboards for doubles are not speedy little runners who stretch singles into doubles but line drive and power hitters who knock the ball to the wall.

Right handed batter playing in a modern era who takes walks and has pop is not going to lead the league in triples. Leading the league in triples is a left handed man's prize.

There have been 269 triples leaders, out of that there has been only less then a third of the names being of right handed hitters. That isn't a fluke.
    Of the 71 different names for the RH who led the league only 13 of them were able to do it more then once. Of the 118 names that were not RH 37 of them did it more then once. 18% of the RH names did multiple times while 31% of the LH did it multiple times.

Pete Rose leads the world in hits yet he never led the league in triples and he only managed to lead the league in singles 3 times. Yet many people think of him as a great baserunner. So here is a guy that fits your example and yet he didn't do it. Heck, here is a guy who is probably better then your example and he didn't do it.

Or how about Derek Jeter? Lots of non-home run hits yet no league leading years in triples or doubles and only has two years leading the league in singles.

So here are two guys who are either average baserunners or better and yet neither one led the league in triples.

I don't get this. Because he had a lot of AB's (which is false incidentally)suddenly he should be banging out triples? Never mind that he is a right handed hitter and isn't a super speedy guy?
    By the way for all this talk about all of Rickey's hits or AB you guys seem to fail to realize that A)Rickey only finised on the leaderboard for AB's once in his entire life, B)took a lot of walks, and C)usually missed at least 10% of his teams games each season.

From 1979 to 2003 there were 61 names atop the leaderboard. Of those 61 names a right handed player was the name atop the standings 14 times. So in Rickey's day it was even less likely for a RH hitter to be atop the leaderboard then normal.

By the way when Molitor got his 13 triples to tie for lead league he had 665 AB. When Ryne Sandberg got 19 to tie for the lead league he had 636 AB. When Dawson led the league, well, he never did, but when he was hitting triples he was getting over 600 AB. When Yount did it he had 578 AB and 621 AB. Rickey went over 600 once and only went over 500 8 other times in his 25 seasons. That generally happens when you walk a lot and miss a good chunk of games every year.

The 4 names you mention have one other thing in common besides hitting those triples and that is not wanting to take a walk.

the greatest baserunnners of all time should probably realize what they can and cannot do. There is an extremely small amount of doubles that can be stretched into triples. If you don't have the speed for it and the location of the hit is not right no amount of hustle or skill is going to stretch that double into a triple. By the way guess which side of the plate both Brady and Barry hit from. How do raw triple totals indicate how often a player stretched a double into a triple? What if 50 of Rickey's triples are stretched doubles? What if they are all stretched doubles?

I just did a quick study. I looked at the AL (quickly filters out most P) from 1979 to 2003 and in that time the average LH hitter had 30% more triples then the average RH hitter. The difference stays about the same if you setup an AB filter to get more of the regulars and less of the handful of at bats players.

A 30% bonus or penalty is pretty darn huge.

But they didn't have far less opportunities. Dawson consistently got more AB in season then Rickey did, same goes for Ryne. Secondly Stade Olympique where Andre got 3 of his 4 top finishes favored triples whereas the Coliseum and Yankee Stadium did not favor triples.

Sure it might mean they are better baserunners or it could mean Rickey was better at it. We have yet to prove that raw triple totals mean anything yet. I'm still don't see why a triple should be chalked up to baserunning skill. Where you hit the ball and how fast you are plays a much much greater part in getting a triple then baserunning skill.

If you match up Ryne and Rickey's career then Ryne for his career averaged 1 more triple per 500 AB's then Rickey. Andre Dawson gets about 2 more triples per 500 AB. That isn't a whole lot of difference. Can you say that Dawson's edge is because of baserunning and not hitting? Can you say that Rickey doesn't have more baserunning triples then Ryne? Can you prove that Andre's edge is because of his skill and not his stadium?

Other great baserunners of the modern era didn't have Rickey's skillset.
    If Rickey played in Ty's era he would have many more triples, if Ty played in Rickey's era he would have many less triples.

Willie Wilson and Rickey Henderson are two different types of hitters. Rickey has more in common with the Giambi types then to the Willie Wilson type as far as hitting goes. Rickey had a postage stamp size strikezone and he wouldn't go out of it for nothing. Willie Wilson would swing at anything just to make contact, whereas Rickey would only swing at a ball in his zone. Consequently Willie got the dribblers while Rickey got the homers, a few more doubles, and the walks.

No matter what Rickey does he will never be as fast as Willie Wilson. He can be quicker and I believe he was but he will never equal Willie's speed. Getting to third on a hit is about 95% hit location and speed. Neither is a baserunning skill.

If someone wants to say Willie or Dykstra or Samuel was faster then Rickey you will get no argument out of me. Rickey wasn't an elite speedy guy, but looking at triples doesn't prove or disprove that he had lots or not a lot of baserunning skill.

From an article in the NYT about the value of taking an extra base.

"If we expand our search to 1950, we find a career top five of Rickey Henderson (+147 runs), Tim Raines (+116), Willie Wilson (+116), Luis Aparicio (+87) and Davey Lopes (+81). The worst ever, not surprisingly, is dominated by catchers, with Jorge Posada (-32 runs) and Bob Boone (-31) leading the way"

"

Quote Originally Posted by Ubiquitous View Post
    Excellent post. I was wondering ever so briefly myself about the right versus left issue. Glad you looked at it, because I wouldn't have done it justice. I missed all the rest .

I wanted to do something to look at the 'hustle aspect' and compare that to the overall run creation issue.

1) I compared Musial's career stats to 3 guys who we all might regard as on the short list of the slowest runners ever: Frank Howard, Ernie Lombardi, and Harmon Killebrew.

My method was to look at the distribution of doubles, triples and homers as a % of total hits.

Musial was 20.0%, 4.9% and 13.1% (total 38.0% extra base hits)

The other 3 were 14.4%, 1.5%, 20.3% (total 36.2% extra base hits)

Using the slower group, what amount of 'extra' doubles and triples did Musial have over what the 'slower' group's distribution?

Answer: +203 doubles, +123 triples.

2) I then looked at the years 1943-44, 46-49 for Musial, and the rest of the Cards.

Musial was 21.0%, 7.7%, 10.7%
    Rest was 17.0%, 3.5%, 5.8%

Using the remaining Cards as a group, what amount of 'extra' doubles and triples did Musial have?

Answer: 50 doubles and 54 triples.

This was only a portion of his career. He had 23.7% more doubles in those years than he would have had he been like the rest of the Cards. He had 122.7% more triples in those years than he would have had he been like the rest of the Cards. So extrapolating to his whole career, we get:

Doubles +139 doubles and +97 triples.

So, overall at best case, Musial hustled out an extra 203 doubles and 123 triples. In other words, he added 326 bases through his baserunning. Those ARE impressive numbers. I can support the idea that Stan was not just a great hitter, but was able to accomplish a lot by taking extra bases when he could.

How does this compare to making it to 2nd 1,080 times and to 3rd 322 times from stealing? It doesn't.

Unless one simply decides that stealing bases is not part of baserunning, then the prolific base stealer always will outperform the hustling, intelligent baserunning that occurs once one hits the ball.

Excluding basestealing from baserunning, is like excluding flyouts from a pitcher's ERA, or assists from a shortstop to second base in range factor. It's an arbitrary decision to evaluate one aspect of a skillset that baseball players have.

From a baseball standpoint, offensive production is benefitted the same from taking an extra base on a single as from taking an extra base on a steal. To say one is 'better' or one doesn't count, is not only contradicted by the facts (run creation formulae for example), but the manner in which teams organize their offensive schemes.
    Last edited by drstrangelove; 02-17-2012 at 04:23 PM.

In fact he didn't even run the bases nearly as hard as he could have; he mostly ran to pad his own SB stats, which he cared about more than anything else.
    I was interested in this padding issue:

Henederson

1) 25.6% of his SB were in the first inning. 46.2% were in the first 3 innings. Not sure how that's showing padding. What it shows is he's trying to upset the other team and get his team in the game ASAP. (OP ED.)

2) Of his totals:

33.7% when ahead
    37.0% when tied
    29.3% when behind.

Don't see a pattern. See below:

3) of the totals:

60% were when the team was within 1 run.
    76% were when the team was within 2 runs.
    6% were when the teams was ahead or behind by 4 or more runs.

Don't see any evidence of padding. I honestly did not think it was this obvious, but he apparently ran when it was going to help the team catch up or to extend a small lead.
    Last edited by drstrangelove; 02-17-2012 at 04:21 PM.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast