Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: 1980 Rookie Draft

Quote Originally Posted by scubadan View Post
    It will be fun seeing who you guys think the "other CF" is that was better than Milner because I'm totally missing that. Once the guy has been drafted, I would be happy to share the logic in why I thought Milner was the right pick or how stupid I was for drafting him.
    Never a stupid pick, Dan. It's all in how you view the guy. Your B+ guy might be my C guy, and vice verse.
    You see, you spend a good deal of your life gripping a baseball and in the end it turns out that it was the other way around all the time. J. Bouton

The Beavers Select

3B/SS Glenn Hoffman
    glenn_hoffman_autograph.jpg
    Baseball statistics are like a girl in a bikini. They show a lot, but not everything. ~Toby Harrah

Quote Originally Posted by Windy City Fan View Post
    The Tyrants select Ken Phelps.
    He just couldn't have lasted two more picks! The first three seasons are worthless, and two others he's not used an awful lot, but that 1984 seasons along is worth the pick at this point, and he has HUGE resign value, especially with a 30% HTD. One of the guys I had rated ahead of Milner (along with Lollar and Williams).
    You see, you spend a good deal of your life gripping a baseball and in the end it turns out that it was the other way around all the time. J. Bouton

Are there two Glenn Hoffmans out there? The one I have as a rookie in 1984 has 80 PA with a 32OPS+. Yikes
    Illegitimi Non Carborundum

Chicago - The town that the World Series forgot
    Quote Originally Posted by catcher24 View Post
    He just couldn't have lasted two more picks! The first three seasons are worthless, and two others he's not used an awful lot, but that 1984 seasons along is worth the pick at this point, and he has HUGE resign value, especially with a 30% HTD. One of the guys I had rated ahead of Milner (along with Lollar and Williams).
    Phelps is a guy I've been eyeballing for a while now, in fact I toyed with the idea of drafting him in the second round. I'm a little surprised he lasted this long and I'm very happy to snag him. With the 110% rule, Phelps will give the Tyrants almost 400 PA as a top notch slugger in 84. Playing in Fulton County Stadium, I expect him to do well. And as you said, his resign value is great for that 86 - 88 stretch. He's never a full time player, but when he does play he's very productive.
    "I will calmly wait for my induction to the Baseball Hall of Fame."
    - Sammy Sosa

"Get a comfy chair, Sammy, cause its gonna be a long wait."
    - Craig Ashley (AKA Windy City Fan)

At least three guys I wouldn't mine taking here, but I guess I'll go with greatest need, and take

virgil.jpg

OZZIE VIRGIL, CATCHER

Blog Entries
    Virgil and Phelps were two of my three highest rated players remaining. One more guy I'd love to have, and then a pretty big dropoff.

Blah the Iron wanted Virgil.

I was a bit surprised that he lasted this long. A catcher with two useful seasons as a backup and then two decent seasons as a starter this late in the draft is fine with me.

Gamblers continue to re-tool their bullpen by adding

Andy Rincon
    th_135-andy-rincon-front.jpg
    Baseball statistics are like a girl in a bikini. They show a lot, but not everything. ~Toby Harrah

Quote Originally Posted by catcher24 View Post
    I was a bit surprised that he lasted this long. A catcher with two useful seasons as a backup and then two decent seasons as a starter this late in the draft is fine with me.
    I mistakenly had him down as being drafted ..... poor personnell management on my part

Blog Entries
    Rincon going hurts. Had him targeted for first pick of the fourth round. Nice pickup, Rich.

I had Virgil ranked as the 21st best player in this draft so I really wanted to trade up to get him.

After much debate in the draft room, the Skipjacks will select:

Wally Backman

The Angels select Jay Howell

Badgers pick is up for trade. 1st to post an offer of a 3rd rounder in the next 2 drafts ('81-'82), consider this a confirmation. My pick is due by noon EST. If no replies I will make pick then
    There are 10 kinds of people. Those who get binary and those who don't.

Quote Originally Posted by buppers View Post
    Badgers pick is up for trade. 1st to post an offer of a 3rd rounder in the next 2 drafts ('81-'82), consider this a confirmation. My pick is due by noon EST. If no replies I will make pick then
    We'll take that deal. We'll give you the 1981: 3rd Round Pick (Dust Bunnies) for this pick.
    "A ballplayer has to just go out and be mean. You can't play half-heartedly. If you do, there's someone right over your shoulder that'll take your job away. If you don't do your job, what they're paying you for, why should they pay you? You just can't put in eight hours, that's what a lot of people don't realize about athletes. Very few people realize the pressure." Dave Kingman

Confirmed ! And thanks.
    There are 10 kinds of people. Those who get binary and those who don't.

With the 45th pick Sockeye's Angels select....Ernie Camacho
    "A ballplayer has to just go out and be mean. You can't play half-heartedly. If you do, there's someone right over your shoulder that'll take your job away. If you don't do your job, what they're paying you for, why should they pay you? You just can't put in eight hours, that's what a lot of people don't realize about athletes. Very few people realize the pressure." Dave Kingman

Quote Originally Posted by leecemark View Post
    The Angels select Jay Howell
    He's the other player I was considering for the Legends when I took Ozzie Virgil. Those last two years under team control are terrific, and he has significant resign value. A real decent pickup this late in the draft I think.

The Angels are very pleased with their draft. We landed 6 of the top 28 players on our draft board. 6 of the top 15 pitchers on our draft board.

Doug Corbett (#3 overall) (#2 among pitchers)
    Bob Ojeda (#16 overall) (#5 among pitchers)
    Pascual Pérez (#20 overall) (#8 among pitchers)
    Bruce Hurst (#23 overall) (#11 among pitchers)
    Jay Howell (#25 overall) (#13 among pitchers)
    Ernie Camacho (#28 overall) (#15 among pitchers)

It would be interesting to see how some of the draft graders would grade the different team drafts. I don't know how you do that without hurting anyone's feelings by being critical of their choices but it would be fun to read a "draft analysis" or team grade like you do after the NFL draft.
    Dan
    CKL - Maloy Boys
    P2PKL - Detroit Tigers

Blog Entries
    I'd absolutely love to hear what people think of my draft, and I'd probably enjoy discussing others' drafts as well. I have a pretty exhaustive list and B-R is easily accessible as well.

I don't want to critique people's picks without their consent, though, but I hope everyone feels confident enough in their picks to defend them.

Blog Entries
    double post
    Last edited by Erik Bedard; 02-21-2012 at 11:30 AM.

I have no concerns about your grading my previous picks.

Jack
    Illegitimi Non Carborundum

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast