Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: 1980 Rookie Draft

--I had Law as a late 2nd rounder. I liked Virgil better, but both my teams are set at catcher for the years he contributes.

With their first fourth round pick, the Skipjacks will select:

Marty Bystrom

The Skipjacks are interested in trading a future 4th round pick to select somewhere in the next five picks. PM me if the interest is mutual.

BTW Mark, will there be an updated FA list prior to the auction? I haven't actually seen one yet for this offseason.

Also, we didn't draft Hubie Brooks; he went to the Hard Cider at pick #20. Our draft has been modest, picking quantity of playable seasons over quality of singular seasons. Though we're not high on drafting a setup man in round one, Gary Lucas provides much needed lefty help in the pen for the length of his rookie contract. Wally Backman gives us four useful seasons as a platoon infielder. Bystrom is a "Mac's playoff-ringer special" for this season (if we can get there) - if things look bad by the trade deadline you can expect him to be on the trade block for a late 3rd. Good news is he is also a good #5 pitcher for 1981, if you set rotation to skip.

The best Skipjacks draft has to be 1974 top to bottom. Jim Rice, Kent Tekulve, John Denny, Al Cowens, Tom Johnson, Rick Sawyer... and the biggest amateur draft steal in team history, Warren Cromartie in Round 5. Sadly, we were only able to keep one of them with HTD rights this offseason.
    Last edited by J W; 02-22-2012 at 10:07 AM.

Thee 2 pitchers I was targeting late and Mark got them both. Breining and Williams. Could have too many pitchers for 1981 but better than not enough
    Last edited by buppers; 02-22-2012 at 01:14 PM.
    There are 10 kinds of people. Those who get binary and those who don't.

I had Law ranked 15th on my board. I love versatility which is one of the reasons I picked up Nichols because in that 83 season he is rated at all 3 OF positions and SS which will save me a roster spot.

--There are still some usefull pieces left on my draft board. The Knights and Corsairs would both be willing to trade a future 4th for one this year if anybody is interested.

The Dust Bunnies have two picks coming up soon in the fourth round. We may be able to deal one or both if an acceptable offer involving picks and/or players comes along. Jack
    Illegitimi Non Carborundum

With the 52nd pick in the 1980 first year player draft the Hard Cider select:
    rich_bordi_autograph.jpg
    RP-Rich Bordi

With the 53rd pick in the 1980 first year player draft the Milwaukee Ironselect:
    floyd_rayford_autograph.jpg
    3B/C-Floyd Rayford

nice pickup of Rayford there
    Baseball statistics are like a girl in a bikini. They show a lot, but not everything. ~Toby Harrah

Chicago - The town that the World Series forgot
    Bodi was actually the top guy on my board. Nice pick up.
    "I will calmly wait for my induction to the Baseball Hall of Fame."
    - Sammy Sosa

"Get a comfy chair, Sammy, cause its gonna be a long wait."
    - Craig Ashley (AKA Windy City Fan)

Dust Bunnies select Luis Aguayo

Dust Bunnies select Randy Martz

The Beavers select

George Vukovich

1984topps-georgevukovich1.jpg
    Baseball statistics are like a girl in a bikini. They show a lot, but not everything. ~Toby Harrah

The Tyrants select ... Ken Schrom. Should be a decent cheap starting pitcher for us in '83. Good value this late in the draft.
    - Sammy Sosa

The Gamblers select

Mark Brouhard

653%20Mark%20Brouhard.jpg

The Thunder finally have a pick and the guy they have been targetting slide all the way down to the 4th round! What luck! The Thunder select .... Jerry Dybzinski.

What a haul! This draft will go down in Thunder history. But seriously, he provides a nice cheap defensive replacement for Smalley at SS.
    - Sammy Sosa

Craig, that Thunder pick was premature. Skipjacks were on the clock.

Quote Originally Posted by leecemark View Post
    Craig, that Thunder pick was premature. Skipjacks were on the clock.
    Wow, I sure hope they don't take Jerry Dybzinski. There could be bloodshed.

Very nice pickup on Vukovich, Rich. I was hoping he would drop to the Jaxx. One decent platoon season and one nice full season. He was actually the only one on my player list who still had more than one useful season. Of course, I did miss some picks along the way.
    You see, you spend a good deal of your life gripping a baseball and in the end it turns out that it was the other way around all the time. J. Bouton

The Skipjacks select Jerry Dyb - waitaminute

The Skipjacks select:

P Mark Davis

...not to be confused with earlier pick Mike Davis.

Blog Entries
    Davis was the guy I really wanted. Had him by far the highest remaining on the board. Considered taking him first in this round. His '85 should be great and his '83 isn't bad either. Tons of resign value too. Fantastic pick this late.

Yeah I was hoping I could nab Davis.

Thanks. As it turns out we believe the value in this draft is in Round 4. We wouldn't mind picking again if the right player is there. Mark Brouhard was on our radar too.

--Brouhard does have several years as a big time lefty masher. Great platoon guy. Agree that the strength of this draft is in its depth. Not such a great year to pick high, but a very good year to have lots of picks. I had more 2nd round values than their were picks, so many lasted into the 3rd. Ditto on 3rds into the 4th. Either of my teams still willing to give up a future 4th even at this late point in the round. Nobody I'd give more than that for though.

There is one player left that was #32 on our draftboard. I won't give away their position but I am extremely surprised they are still undrafted.
    "A ballplayer has to just go out and be mean. You can't play half-heartedly. If you do, there's someone right over your shoulder that'll take your job away. If you don't do your job, what they're paying you for, why should they pay you? You just can't put in eight hours, that's what a lot of people don't realize about athletes. Very few people realize the pressure." Dave Kingman

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast