Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: 1980 Rookie Draft

Badgers pick is up for trade. 1st to post an offer of a 3rd rounder in the next 2 drafts ('81-'82), consider this a confirmation. My pick is due by noon EST. If no replies I will make pick then
    There are 10 kinds of people. Those who get binary and those who don't.

Quote Originally Posted by buppers View Post
    Badgers pick is up for trade. 1st to post an offer of a 3rd rounder in the next 2 drafts ('81-'82), consider this a confirmation. My pick is due by noon EST. If no replies I will make pick then
    We'll take that deal. We'll give you the 1981: 3rd Round Pick (Dust Bunnies) for this pick.
    My dream ballpark dimensions
    LF: 388 Feet...Height 37 Feet...LCF: 455 Feet...CF: 542 Feet...Height 35 Feet
    RCF: 471 Feet...RF: 400 Feet...Height 60 Feet
    Location....San Diego

Confirmed ! And thanks.

With the 45th pick Sockeye's Angels select....Ernie Camacho
    Location....San Diego

Quote Originally Posted by leecemark View Post
    The Angels select Jay Howell
    He's the other player I was considering for the Legends when I took Ozzie Virgil. Those last two years under team control are terrific, and he has significant resign value. A real decent pickup this late in the draft I think.
    You see, you spend a good deal of your life gripping a baseball and in the end it turns out that it was the other way around all the time. J. Bouton

The Angels are very pleased with their draft. We landed 6 of the top 28 players on our draft board. 6 of the top 15 pitchers on our draft board.

Doug Corbett (#3 overall) (#2 among pitchers)
    Bob Ojeda (#16 overall) (#5 among pitchers)
    Pascual Pérez (#20 overall) (#8 among pitchers)
    Bruce Hurst (#23 overall) (#11 among pitchers)
    Jay Howell (#25 overall) (#13 among pitchers)
    Ernie Camacho (#28 overall) (#15 among pitchers)
    Location....San Diego

It would be interesting to see how some of the draft graders would grade the different team drafts. I don't know how you do that without hurting anyone's feelings by being critical of their choices but it would be fun to read a "draft analysis" or team grade like you do after the NFL draft.
    Dan
    CKL - Maloy Boys
    P2PKL - Detroit Tigers

Blog Entries
    I'd absolutely love to hear what people think of my draft, and I'd probably enjoy discussing others' drafts as well. I have a pretty exhaustive list and B-R is easily accessible as well.

I don't want to critique people's picks without their consent, though, but I hope everyone feels confident enough in their picks to defend them.

Blog Entries
    double post
    Last edited by Erik Bedard; 02-21-2012 at 11:30 AM.

I have no concerns about your grading my previous picks.

Jack
    Illegitimi Non Carborundum

double post

jack
    Last edited by dust bunnies; 02-21-2012 at 02:07 PM.
    Illegitimi Non Carborundum

Quote Originally Posted by scubadan View Post
    It would be interesting to see how some of the draft graders would grade the different team drafts. I don't know how you do that without hurting anyone's feelings by being critical of their choices but it would be fun to read a "draft analysis" or team grade like you do after the NFL draft.
    I think it would be different according to everyone's draft board. Everybody likes the players they've chosen or else they wouldn't have selected them A lot also depends on the draft picks each team has. For instance we've had 6 of the first 45 picks. So obviously we'll have aquired more talent than a team with only one or two picks to this point. What might be interesting is for everyone to pick the top 5 or 6 best drafts (not counting their own).

Here are my top six through pick #45

1. Gold Sox: A
    2. Hard Cider: A-
    3. Boys: A-
    4. Badgers: B+
    5. Knights: B
    6. Legends: B
    Location....San Diego

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Bedard View Post
    I'd absolutely love to hear what people think of my draft, and I'd probably enjoy discussing others' drafts as well. I have a pretty exhaustive list and B-R is easily accessible as well.

I don't want to critique people's picks without their consent, though, but I hope everyone feels confident enough in their picks to defend them.
    You've had an excellent draft!

Leon Durham: (#8 on our board)
    Mike Davis: (#11 on our board)
    Charlie Lea: (#21 on our board)
    Tim Lollar: (#41 on our board)

Anyone is welcome to critique our draft as well. Always enjoy hearing everyone's thoughts.
    Location....San Diego

Chicago - The town that the World Series forgot
    Team needs also can impact how you grade a draft. The Tyrants for instance are not going to competitive in 80 or 81, so our draft board reflects that reality. But looking at the draft boards I'd ranks these clubs as having the best drafts:

Gold Sox - Durham, Lea, Davis, and Lollar. Durham and Davis both have some impact seasons ahead of them and Lea and Lollar provide quality pitching at an affordable price.

Knights - Boddicker, Lefebvre, Berenyi, Salazar. Boddicker is a Cy Young candidate one season. Lefebvre is rated at catcher for a few seasons and swings a great bat. Berenyi provides some solid seasons. Salazar gives a good season in 80 as a pinch hitter and a solid 81 season as a platoon 3B.

Legends - Fernando and Ozzie Virgil. Fernando is a jackpot guy in this draft. I had him as the top guy on the board. Virgil is a steal in the third round.

Everyone else had a least one pick that made me go "meh".

And I'll talk about the Tyrants draft board, just because I want to. Given that 80 and 81 mean nothing to us, I think the Tyrants did well. Moseby provides two all-star caliber seasons and another solid season. Law provides several seasons as a good utility or platoon infielder (check out his splits against lefties in 82 and 84) and then a potential all-star season in 85. And then Phelps gives us a great part time season in 84, another solid part time season in 85, and an OK season in 83. All in all, this draft is going to help the Tyrants get set for a nice mid 80's run I think.
    "I will calmly wait for my induction to the Baseball Hall of Fame."
    - Sammy Sosa

"Get a comfy chair, Sammy, cause its gonna be a long wait."
    - Craig Ashley (AKA Windy City Fan)

--The Corsairs select RP Luis Aponte
    --The Knights select LHP John Martin
    --Feel free to critique my picks . I'm pretty happy with the Knights draft, although we did give up a number of future picks to shore up this draft (no 2nd, 3rd or 4th rounder for the next 3 years now). We came in with only one SP under contract for 1981 and little money under the cap or coming off the cap next year so we needed some cheap, near MLB ready help.
    --When Boddicker slipped he was good good to pass up, but that was not part of the game plan and lead to the trades for 2nd and 3rd rounders. With those we got;
    --Bruce Berenyi - I really like him, perhaps more than most of you. He has some serious control problems but misses alot of bats and gets alot of ground balls. Thats a good profile for Tiger Stadium and he is my "ace" next year as it stands now. Another good season in 82 and and acceptable one for a 5th starter in 83.
    --Albert Williams - he'll make and help the staff this year and will be an innings eater in the back of rotation next year, then a decent 4/5 starter in 82/83.
    --John Martin - he is the 3rd guy from this draft penciled into next year's rotation. Another 4/5 type of guy, so I'm still looking for somebody better but I can live with him. Strong against LHB in his other 3 seasons.
    --Joe Lefebvre - bench help this year and a powerfull platoon OFer next year. Even better in 83 and a potential contributor off the bench in 82 and 85.
    --Luis Salazar - big bat off the bench or in a platton role this year and a solid starter next year. One more year where he mashes lefties and flashes an EX glove at 3B and another where he could make the team as a utility guy.
    --So 3 SP, a full time starter and a platoon starter for a total cost of 2.5M next season. Just what the doctor ordered for a team with serious cap problems.

Feel free to critique the Badgers draft. Now that we have all adult owners I am OK with any critizism. The only caveat is to remember I am building for 1981. Between drafts, trades and FA signings I feel I have a strong pitching staff for 1981 especially with the extra playing time.

Quote Originally Posted by buppers View Post
    Feel free to critique the Badgers draft. Now that we have all adult owners I am OK with any critizism. The only caveat is to remember I am building for 1981. Between drafts, trades and FA signings I feel I have a strong pitching staff for 1981 especially with the extra playing time.
    Ed, I think you had a simply terrible draft. I can't imagine what in the world you could have been thinking. Were you drinking when you made those picks - or on something else?

Just kidding, Ed. I didn't want you to feel deprived of the criticism you used to get on a regular basis. Kind of make you feel "at home", you know. BTW, is being an adult owner sort of like being an X-rated owner?

In reality, the Badgers did OK, picking up some very useful players.

The Legends did well with their two picks so far. Fernando will of course be an anchor for the rotation from 81 through 85, with significant HTD value. He also will make a mighty fine September call up this year. Ozzie Virgil doesn't do much for a couple of seasons, but then is a decent platoon catcher for two years and a very decent starter for two more. Not a whole lot of resign value there, although there is some.

The Lumberjaxx had three picks (to this point) and took all pitchers. Joe Price gives three years as a decent starter, and three years as a decent reliever. John Butcher has two decent years as a starter, two as a reliever and one as a fourth or fifth innings eater. Mike Armstrong steps up as a decent reliever just when we lose Sutter, so was a pick of need. We didn't do as well as Mark financially, but we still got three guys who can help us for several seasons each for a total of 3.5M, so I guess we did OK.
    You see, you spend a good deal of your life gripping a baseball and in the end it turns out that it was the other way around all the time. J. Bouton

Sort of off topic here Mark, but I was wondering if you've decided to extend the rookie draft a day and drop the 750K auction round, or go with the schedule as posted?

--I editted the schedule after you pointed out the discrepancy, but it was to extend one day of bidding rather than extending the draft. We are way ahead of pace on the draft anyway.

Badgers make the following trades

Tyrants: Renie Martin for Badgers 3rd in 81 and Dave Heaverlo
    Thunder: Gene Garber for Len Barker

Ed

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast