X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rmadachik
    • Mar 2010

Franchise Players

Should we keep the franchise player rule as it is written or should we do away with it completely?
    Keep it as written
    30.00%
    Do away with it - RFA's are enough
    70.00%

The poll is expired.

Baseball statistics are like a girl in a bikini. They show a lot, but not everything. ~Toby Harrah
  • Wade8813
    The Dark Knight = Amazing
    • Jul 2006

EDIT - I'm reconsidering.
    Last edited by Wade8813; 02-13-2012, 06:58 AM.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDxgNjMTPIs

Comment

• catcher24
      The Tools of Ignorance
      • Feb 2004

I chose keep it as written. I think it's a good thing to be able to keep at least a couple of players without anyone else being able to bid their value up hugely - even if that means I'll never get Walter.
      You see, you spend a good deal of your life gripping a baseball and in the end it turns out that it was the other way around all the time. J. Bouton

Comment

• rmadachik
        • Mar 2010

only 6 people voted so far and its a tie .... need more input yo
        Baseball statistics are like a girl in a bikini. They show a lot, but not everything. ~Toby Harrah

Comment

• BigRon
          • Jan 2009

Originally posted by rmadachik View Post
          only 6 people voted so far and its a tie .... need more input yo
          I'll look over the rules again tomorrow and then place my vote.

Comment

• dust bunnies
            • Oct 2008

I have seen several comments that people drafting early in the first round of a league such as this get severe advantage by franchising their lucky first pick. I personally don't see the need or have the emotional attachment to keep a player long term. One way for owners to lose interest is to have the same teams always on top. If the are better gms, great. if the rules reward the lucky ones, bad. Move the guys around. Thereofre I vote to eliminate the franchise option.
            Illegitimi Non Carborundum

Comment

• catcher24
              The Tools of Ignorance
              • Feb 2004

Come on guys, have your say. It's not a real good sign when you only have seven of twelve owners in a brand new league voting on a key issue.
              You see, you spend a good deal of your life gripping a baseball and in the end it turns out that it was the other way around all the time. J. Bouton

Comment

• rmadachik
                • Mar 2010

Originally posted by dust bunnies View Post
                I have seen several comments that people drafting early in the first round of a league such as this get severe advantage by franchising their lucky first pick. I personally don't see the need or have the emotional attachment to keep a player long term. One way for owners to lose interest is to have the same teams always on top. If the are better gms, great. if the rules reward the lucky ones, bad. Move the guys around. Thereofre I vote to eliminate the franchise option.
                please enter your vote in the poll at the top of the page ... it's going to be close so every vote counts

Comment

• Wade8813
                  • Jul 2006

Originally posted by catcher24 View Post
                  Come on guys, have your say. It's not a real good sign when you only have seven of twelve owners in a brand new league voting on a key issue.
                  Or, it means that like me, they were still thinking about it while paying attention to the discussion we were having (that suddenly stopped)

Comment

• Wade8813
                    • Jul 2006

I don't think the Franchise rule works as written. It seems like it might be a good idea if modified, but 10 (or 12) million per year for Babe Ruth's career is probably LESS than half of what he should make. That's too lopsided.

Comment

• rmadachik
                      • Mar 2010

I think the conversation stopped mostly because all the main points have been made. It boils down to what each owner prefers. There is no deadline but the sooner we iron out this rule the sooner we can finalize the rules and move on to bigger and better things. As it stands now, at the very least it will either end up a tie or the owners will vote to not have franchise players. If it ends up a tie I think I will have to come up with a compromise. I think though that at least one other owner will vote in favor of not having franchise players.

The more I looked at things I realized that the restricted free agent rule is going to really help teams hold on to the stars that they want to and it will keep salaries at closer to market value. The mega-stars will definately cause an owner to pay a premium which is really the whole point of having a salary cap. A team that drafts Babe Ruth will get a deal for 7 years and then someone will offer up 30M in RFA ..... whatever team signs him will have less to spent on a supporting cast. Doing that balancing act is what makes a good owner and manager, and restricted free agency will definately reward good team management - which I am always in favor of.

Comment

• rmadachik
                        • Mar 2010

As I was typing the deciding vote was cast. There will be no fanchise players in P2Pkl. I really think its for the better.

Comment

• catcher24
                          The Tools of Ignorance
                          • Feb 2004

Originally posted by rmadachik View Post
                          As I was typing the deciding vote was cast. There will be no fanchise players in P2Pkl. I really think its for the better.
                          I don't disagree with you Rich and was really on the fence with this one. If it had ended in a tie, I would have asked to change my vote to eliminate the FP, so IMHO it worked out fine. Now let's finishing picking those ballparks, and on with the draft - once the RFA rule is finalized, that is.

Comment

• BigRon
                            • Jan 2009

Okay, I see I didn't need to vote. I too was on the fence- maybe leaning toward a modified version of the FP, but....

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X