Page 2 of 55 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Thread: 1901 Player Re-Draft Thread

All 1901 draft pick contracts are 'up to' contracts . . . . . meaning you could sign for less than the max if you chose. RFA deals are for 5 years
    Baseball statistics are like a girl in a bikini. They show a lot, but not everything. ~Toby Harrah

Blog Entries
    Yeah, there's a couple other guys who have more pure value, but Bresnahan is the guy I wanted most and I wasn't comfortable trading down and risking losing him.

He's getting an eight-year contract, btw.

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Bedard View Post
    I'd also like to know the answers to BigRon's questions. I'd assumed both to be yes, but clarification would be nice. To the second though, why, if you want to have a guy beyond his eighth season, would you sign him to a less than five year RFA deal?

Anyway, the Richmond Rams will go in a direction perhaps few were expecting, and select young catcher Roger Bresnahan.

I think a good pick, Dan. As Rich mentioned, he plays what was basically a very offensively challenged position and produces very well there. His production isn't quite as high as some, but he does have the 12th highest OPS+ for the years 1901 to 1908 inclusive. Coupled with his position, I think it's a reasonable pick, even at #4.
    You see, you spend a good deal of your life gripping a baseball and in the end it turns out that it was the other way around all the time. J. Bouton

I was looking at Bresnahan at number 8 I thought he might still be there.

I was looking at Bresnahan at #6 if he was still available. We'll have to go a different route now. :-(
    My dream ballpark dimensions
    LF: 388 Feet...Height 37 Feet...LCF: 455 Feet...CF: 542 Feet...Height 35 Feet
    RCF: 471 Feet...RF: 400 Feet...Height 60 Feet
    Location....San Diego

I would have considered Bresnahan at 5, but don't think I could have taken him sooner than that.

A trade is being discussed (but is unlikely). I'm going to give it a couple more hours, then make my pick.

--I haven't had time to scout the whole pool yet so just skimmed the rosters and cherry picked 18 players thinking that would get me through 2 rounds. Bresnahan didn't make that cut, but judging by the comments from other owners that was a failure in my screening process. Guess that didn't cost me since he went before my pick anyway. Might need to devote a little more to make sure I didn't miss somebody else though.

Now that what most considered the "big three" are gone, it will be very interesting to see who goes where. The big drawback to picking #1 is that I'll sit here and watch 16 more players get picked before I go again - which is why I offered that top pick in trade. I expect to see everyone else in my top 10 long gone by my next pick. I'm not so worried about the pitchers, because surprisingly there are a few guys who compare favorably to Big Six over the first eight seasons (combined). However, there is an enormous drop off in batters after Wagner and Lajoie. Nap actually had the higher OPS+ over the first eight years, edging out Honus by 4 points. However, Honus provided 550+ more PAs (a full season's worth) over those eight years and plays a more crucial defensive position, so he was an easy pick at #1. But the dropoff in OPS+ to the next best batter over those eight seasons is 19 points (a lot when you're averaging eight seasons), and none of those guys play as crucial a position as Wagner.

I'm anxious to see how this plays out. Should be very interesting.
    You see, you spend a good deal of your life gripping a baseball and in the end it turns out that it was the other way around all the time. J. Bouton

Warning in advance. I'm up at our vacation home- not too far from Lew!- and will be there until Monday. All of my resarch/historical information is at home, back in Pa. Obviously I can do a few things with Baseball- Ref, etc., but I'm not going to be able to scope things out in detail.

I guess what I'm saying is, if my turn comes up before Monday- which seems pretty likely- I may or may not be in a position to draft. I apologize in advance about the possibility of slowing things down right at the beginning, but I just may not be in a position to make an intelligent choice due to my circumstances.

Quote Originally Posted by BigRon View Post
    Warning in advance. I'm up at our vacation home- not too far from Lew!- and will be there until Monday. All of my resarch/historical information is at home, back in Pa. Obviously I can do a few things with Baseball- Ref, etc., but I'm not going to be able to scope things out in detail.

I guess what I'm saying is, if my turn comes up before Monday- which seems pretty likely- I may or may not be in a position to draft. I apologize in advance about the possibility of slowing things down right at the beginning, but I just may not be in a position to make an intelligent choice due to my circumstances.
    Don't sweat it Ron. We'd all be happy to give you plenty of advice on who you should pick.
    Dan
    CKL - Maloy Boys
    P2PKL - Detroit Tigers

Quote Originally Posted by leecemark View Post
    --I haven't had time to scout the whole pool yet so just skimmed the rosters and cherry picked 18 players thinking that would get me through 2 rounds. Bresnahan didn't make that cut, but judging by the comments from other owners that was a failure in my screening process. Guess that didn't cost me since he went before my pick anyway. Might need to devote a little more to make sure I didn't miss somebody else though.
    You aren't far off as Bresnahan wasn't a top 20 player in WAR but the catching position is just terrible outside of him.

Quote Originally Posted by catcher24 View Post
    Now that what most considered the "big three" are gone, it will be very interesting to see who goes where. The big drawback to picking #1 is that I'll sit here and watch 16 more players get picked before I go again - which is why I offered that top pick in trade. I expect to see everyone else in my top 10 long gone by my next pick. I'm not so worried about the pitchers, because surprisingly there are a few guys who compare favorably to Big Six over the first eight seasons (combined). However, there is an enormous drop off in batters after Wagner and Lajoie. Nap actually had the higher OPS+ over the first eight years, edging out Honus by 4 points. However, Honus provided 550+ more PAs (a full season's worth) over those eight years and plays a more crucial defensive position, so he was an easy pick at #1. But the dropoff in OPS+ to the next best batter over those eight seasons is 19 points (a lot when you're averaging eight seasons), and none of those guys play as crucial a position as Wagner.

I'm anxious to see how this plays out. Should be very interesting.

I believe there are a few pitchers who are every bit as good as Mathewson during the first 8.

Quote Originally Posted by jaybird_1981 View Post
    I believe there are a few pitchers who are every bit as good as Mathewson during the first 8.
    Well, there are at least three that I know of for sure. A couple of others are a notch lower. I think the big advantage to Rich taking Mathewson with RFA rights is the ability to see what it will cost him to get those incredible seasons in 1908 and 1909.

Sorry about the delay, the soccer game turned into a double header, then a few friends decided to hang out afterwards. A 2 hour thing turned into 5 hours.

Anyway, I see one pitcher as being Mathewson's equal, then a decent dropoff to the next tier of pitchers. I'll take that one pitcher - Cy Young - for the full 8 years. I think at least one other person agrees with my analysis; Sockeye wanted to trade up 1 spot, and offered a fairly decent package to get it. I was pretty tempted.

With the 6th overall pick in the 1901 re-draft the Anaheim Angels select.....Rube Waddell (5 year RFA)
    Last edited by Sockeye; 02-23-2012 at 02:25 PM.
    My dream ballpark dimensions
    LF: 388 Feet...Height 37 Feet...LCF: 455 Feet...CF: 542 Feet...Height 35 Feet
    RCF: 471 Feet...RF: 400 Feet...Height 60 Feet
    Location....San Diego

Well, you guys managed to find the two that Mathewson's equal (Young is even better, IMHO) over the first eight years. Nice picks on both!

Both of those guys really stood out; now there's a pretty sizable group after them who are pretty comparable, so maybe we'll see a few hitters taken now.

Young averaged 40 more IP per season than Waddell. I see Cy as basically identical to Matty over that span - maybe a slight edge to Cy.

--Not sure if he is the best on the board, but he is close enough and a favorite of mine so...Wahoo Sam Crawford.

--Not sure if he is the best on the board, but he is close enough and a favorite of mine so...Wahoo Sam Crawford.
    My first good guess. No way was Sam going to last 'til number 11! Thanks, leece!

How long is Crawford's contract?
    Dan
    CKL - Maloy Boys
    P2PKL - Detroit Tigers

Page 2 of 55 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast