Page 19 of 44 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast

Thread: 1901 Player Re-Draft Thread

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by rmadachik View Post
    I think it is important to have a small free agent pool going into the season, and if we go higher than 30 per team there will hardly be any players available. Each team should have some players whom they wont mind releasing once their playing time is used up I think. I think increasing roster size would be a bad idea, but as always I am willing to hear other points of view.
    A couple ideas:

- something like the CKL, where you can expand the rosters by a certain amount in season to sign fill-in FAs

- another league I'm in has 30-man rosters (25 active plus 5 reserves), plus two "deep reserve" slots. Deep reserve slots can be used either for rookies or players with very little PT (something like 25 PA/BF). They can be called up during the season, but there must be an open spot on the 30-man (this league uses a 60-day DL), and if a player is taken off of deep reserve, they can't be replaced, or put back on deep reserve, so that slot is essentially gone. It makes it possible to stash guys for the future while maintaining pretty small roster sizes.

--I think either of Dan's suggestions would work and we could even make it more restrictive if we wanted. So two suggestions;
    1) Being allowed to designate 2-3 players as ineligible for the current season and replace them with leftover (after the rookie draft and free agent auction) free agents on 1 year deals. This should be sufficient to to prevent stockpiling excess players as all these guys would have already been passed on by every club AND not be retainable past the current season.

or

2) Being allowed to replace a player who has gone over their playing time limit without having to release anyone. This would keep all the leftovers available until someone actually needed them.

--I'd prefer one so you use guys as best fits your team instead of just burning up your short playing time early and could use them more strategically. Either would allow for teams to build for the future without completely punting a season though. A team ought to be able to plan ahead and that may mean drafting or signing multiple players who have little or no current season value.

what if each team has 2 reserve slots open to place a player only after their playing limit has been reached, or if they are not eligible for the season. Once they have been placed on reserve a new player can be signed for the remainder of the season at 250k. This allows for the players that sit out a season as well as players who hit their usage limits.
    Baseball statistics are like a girl in a bikini. They show a lot, but not everything. ~Toby Harrah

Inmates take P Tom Hughes for 3 years. Sorry I missed any trade offers for this pick. Gotta sleep sometime
    There are 10 kinds of people. Those who get binary and those who don't.

Quote Originally Posted by buppers View Post
    Inmates take P Tom Hughes for 3 years. Sorry I missed any trade offers for this pick. Gotta sleep sometime
    Hughes was taken with the pick right in front of you by Jamestown.

Jack, I didn't know you were trying to move this pick. Let me know what you want for it.
    Last edited by scubadan; 03-20-2012 at 05:53 AM.
    Dan
    CKL - Maloy Boys
    P2PKL - Detroit Tigers

--An hour and 10 minutes left fro Inmates to correct their pick. Tigers on deck.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by rmadachik View Post
    what if each team has 2 reserve slots open to place a player only after their playing limit has been reached, or if they are not eligible for the season. Once they have been placed on reserve a new player can be signed for the remainder of the season at 250k. This allows for the players that sit out a season as well as players who hit their usage limits.
    Ineligible would include guys like Murphy who played very sparingly as well as people who just had missing years, right? If so I like this idea.

--I would say that if anyone who has too few PA/BF to be active can be designated as one of your ineligible players this would work. I can't imagine all 30 of my (or anybody eleses) players are going to be guys you care about keeping around anyway, so if more than 2 moves are needed then it won't be too painful to release someone.

I think the caveat needs to be that once a player is on reserves he cannot come off till the next season.
    Baseball statistics are like a girl in a bikini. They show a lot, but not everything. ~Toby Harrah

Lew- have you updated the players selected lists lately?

--Concur. You could delay designating someone til you wanted to sign an extra player, but once designated they would be out for the season.

I think any of the plans proposed just adds complexity and extra rules to the issue. Let's not go down that road again, because it just leads to trouble. I say just add the two extra slots up front, set the roster limit at 32 rather than 30, and forget about all of the caveats and ins and outs and what nots. If you run into an issue with a 32 man roster, then you'll just have to drop someone before signing anyone else.
    Last edited by catcher24; 03-20-2012 at 07:14 AM.
    You see, you spend a good deal of your life gripping a baseball and in the end it turns out that it was the other way around all the time. J. Bouton

Quote Originally Posted by leecemark View Post
    --Concur. You could delay designating someone til you wanted to sign an extra player, but once designated they would be out for the season.
    But even putting someone out for the season doesn't really force you to make a tough decision of who to drop. I still say go with 32 and then you'll have to drop someone if you run into usage issues. I guess that's my stand on this particular issue.
    You see, you spend a good deal of your life gripping a baseball and in the end it turns out that it was the other way around all the time. J. Bouton

Quote Originally Posted by BigRon View Post
    Lew- have you updated the players selected lists lately?
    No Ron. I made my picks late last night and kind of forgot about it. See, that's why I suggest you remind me. Here are the lists of players already taken:

Real-life pitching register - Picked Pitchers.txt

Real-life batting register - Picked Batters.txt

Quote Originally Posted by leecemark View Post
    --An hour and 10 minutes left fro Inmates to correct their pick. Tigers on deck.
    What's the time limit rule now? I wasn't sure how you arrived at 9:54 am (EDT) as the cutoff. I think I could make my pick now but I don't want to jump the gun on Jack.
    Dan
    CKL - Maloy Boys
    P2PKL - Detroit Tigers

Blog Entries
    Twelve hours from when Lew last picked, which was 9:53 last night.

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Bedard View Post
    Twelve hours from when Lew last picked, which was 9:53 last night.
    Duh...thanks Dan. I remember we talked about 2 hours and 4 hours after the bad pick and couldn't figure it out based on those criteria. Sorry to hold things up.

I'd like to make this pick further down in the draft but I'm not sure this guy would make it back to me and I need a CF for one year while I wait for Slagle to blossom. With the 99th pick in the 1901 draft, the Detroit Tigers select:

George_Van_Haltren_1904.jpg

OF George Van Haltren and sign him to a 2 year contract.
    Dan
    CKL - Maloy Boys
    P2PKL - Detroit Tigers

Quote Originally Posted by scubadan View Post
    Duh...thanks Dan. I remember we talked about 2 hours and 4 hours after the bad pick and couldn't figure it out based on those criteria. Sorry to hold things up.

I'd like to make this pick further down in the draft but I'm not sure this guy would make it back to me and I need a CF for one year while I wait for Slagle to blossom. With the 99th pick in the 1901 draft, the Detroit Tigers select:

George_Van_Haltren_1904.jpg

OF George Van Haltren and sign him to a 2 year contract.
    Rats! Another sleeper gone. I sure hope others are feeling similar pain.

Blog Entries
    Funny you took Van Haltren there Dan, because I'm about to take a guy at a similar point in his career for much the same reason: Tom Daly on a three-year deal.

Delete note. My comments not valid.
    Last edited by dust bunnies; 03-20-2012 at 08:33 AM.
    Illegitimi Non Carborundum

Inmates take P Mike O'Neill and sign him for 4 years. Am looking through offers for Nap. Will contact you all soon.
    Keep those offers coming. Make me an offer I can't refuse.
    There are 10 kinds of people. Those who get binary and those who don't.

Quote Originally Posted by BigRon View Post
    Rats! Another sleeper gone. I sure hope others are feeling similar pain.
    Considering how often that happens to you, you can't actually expect to get almost any of these guys though.

Also, I haven't felt that way pretty much at all. Since I know almost nothing about anyone after like the first two rounds, I don't view anyone as potential sleepers.
    The Dark Knight is the best movie I've ever seen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDxgNjMTPIs

Quote Originally Posted by Wade8813 View Post
    Considering how often that happens to you, you can't actually expect to get almost any of these guys though.

Also, I haven't felt that way pretty much at all. Since I know almost nothing about anyone after like the first two rounds, I don't view anyone as potential sleepers.
    Wel, I knew Van Haltren was a very good player, and 1901 was his last good season. I was hoping to pick him up for 1 year.

Quote Originally Posted by Wade8813 View Post

deleted- duplicate message.

the draft timer is 12 hours for the first 20 rounds . . . then 8 hours for the last 10.

Page 19 of 44 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast