Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: 2012 Rays Season Thread

2012 Rays Season Thread

Thought i would start a thread for the new season

GO RAYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm not sure I like some talking heads picking the Rays for the World Series. I'd prefer we fly under the radar for a while. Though I don't mind if Joe makes that their goal from day one, we just don't need them reading their press clippings, like the Lightning did this season and then **** the bed...

I don't think after what happened last September anyone will be believing their own press clippings anytime soon. Especially a team like Tampa Bay when they were the beneficiaries of that Red Sox collapse. Plus the Phillies, Angels, Yankees, Tigers, Red Sox, Rangers, Giants, Marlins, and Reds are more favored to win it all than the Rays this year. Typical lack of respect.

I like the the Rays to win the AL East but they'll still need to get through the Tigers, Rangers, and Angels. Maddon will definitely need to try a new approach with those last two.

Everything has to break right for the Rays to compete for a playoff spot, let alone a spot in the World Series. Hitting needs to improve and be consistent, our bullpen has to mesh again with new relievers in Badenhop and Rodney, SPs have to stay healthy. Price had a down year, Shields had a career year, both will adjust to pre-2011 levels. Scott and Pena and Longo have to play 145-155 games to fuel the offense. S-Rod or Brignac have to grab hold of the SS job and be an asset on offense not just on defense. Plus like you mentioned, so many teams in the AL have loaded up. But that's why they play the games.
    Please visit http://sportsfeedia.com/ for the latest RSS feed updates on all your favorite sports and teams (my son created it and is the owner )

Quote Originally Posted by raysnbran View Post
    I'm not sure I like some talking heads picking the Rays for the World Series. I'd prefer we fly under the radar for a while. Though I don't mind if Joe makes that their goal from day one, we just don't need them reading their press clippings, like the Lightning did this season and then **** the bed...
    we've earned it bro. Even zobrist has already said anything but a WS title would be a Failure.

I don't think much needs to break right at all. They had the best starting pitching and defense in the AL last year. Both will improve this season but not as much as the offense will. A full season of Desmond Jennings will improve both the offense and defense.

The bullpen remains a wildcard but with such a surplus of starters it won't be taxed hard at all. Niemann or Davis will be moved there and Cobb will remain on standby to fill in starts for any injured starters.

The Rays should also have the most steals in the AL again and remain the most versatile team in the MLB.

Meanwhile, the Yankees and Red Sox are older, slower, and more injury prone. The team with the least injuries will chase the Rays for the division and the other will battle Toronto for third place. The wild card will come from the west in 2012 so it's all or nothing for the AL East.

Quote Originally Posted by Yaz View Post
    I don't think much needs to break right at all. They had the best starting pitching and defense in the AL last year. Both will improve this season but not as much as the offense will. A full season of Desmond Jennings will improve both the offense and defense.

The bullpen remains a wildcard but with such a surplus of starters it won't be taxed hard at all. Niemann or Davis will be moved there and Cobb will remain on standby to fill in starts for any injured starters.

The Rays should also have the most steals in the AL again and remain the most versatile team in the MLB.

Meanwhile, the Yankees and Red Sox are older, slower, and more injury prone. The team with the least injuries will chase the Rays for the division and the other will battle Toronto for third place. The wild card will come from the west in 2012 so it's all or nothing for the AL East.
    Unless they add a 2nd wildcard

Matt Moore strains an abdominal muscle in the first session and Longoria gets drilled in the hand from a Matt Bush fastball. Not what you want to hear in the first week of spring training. Both will be OK though, which is the important thing.

So far a great start 2-0 in the bottom of the 1st.

0-3 to start the exhibition season, offense hasn't been at full strength in any game yet. Longoria out until Thursday now, Pena and Scott haven't played yet, I think. Moore returned however, so luckily it was a mild strain.

Well, so far we have obviously proved we cannot beat the Twins in March. Shields needs to step up and make a statement tomorrow in his 2 innings of work
    Please visit http://sportsfeedia.com/ for the latest RSS feed updates on all your favorite sports and teams (my son created it and is the owner )

David Price day to day after hurting his neck toweling off between innings...you can't make this stuff up

David Price day to day after hurting his neck toweling off between innings...you can't make this stuff up
    Indeed not i about spit out my soda i was drinking when i read about that.

Rays score 5 runs in the 9th to take a 2 run lead then give it right back and end up tied 7-7 after 10...at least their offense finally woke up...

Moore looked good yesterday though

I heard the team spring training batting average is currently sitting at .219. While I know BA is not the Be All end all of winning teams or players, it is kind of indicative so far of how our spring has gone. Pitching good, hitters not so much. Time for Joe to clear out the minor leaguers and send them back to Durham or Montgomery, and start fielding the lineup you intend to play the majority of the time. Start developing some chemistry on the field and in the batting order. Opening Day is less than 2 weeks away, and looking at the April schedule, this team needs to get off to a fast start, play at least .550 baseball until the schedule softens up a little. 1-8 like 2011 won't cut it in 2012.

I heard the team spring training batting average is currently sitting at .219. While I know BA is not the Be All end all of winning teams or players, it is kind of indicative so far of how our spring has gone. Pitching good, hitters not so much. Time for Joe to clear out the minor leaguers and send them back to Durham or Montgomery, and start fielding the lineup you intend to play the majority of the time. Start developing some chemistry on the field and in the batting order. Opening Day is less than 2 weeks away, and looking at the April schedule, this team needs to get off to a fast start, play at least .550 baseball until the schedule softens up a little. 1-8 like 2011 won't cut it in 2012.
    I agree and on top of that moore looked like utter crap in his first real start of the ST

Opening Day is 18 days away.

The tough opening schedule means the Rays do NOT have to start off strong. I expect them to go 11-12 in April and still win the division.

The Red Sox and Yankees have similar April schedules anyway. One team might start off slow but I can't see NY, Boston, or TB reaching 16 wins in April.

Toronto on the other hand plays CLE, BAL, SEA, and KC 16 times in April. They could very well be in first place by May.

Rotation is set Sheilds,Price, Helliskon,Moore and finally neimen and wade going to the pen

shields got hammered but still they managed a walk off win against mariano. pena with a great day although he also struck out with runner on third an less than 2 outs.

why does shields start there? I know he is a good pitcher and able to do much better but I always thought price was the ace of that stuff. doesn't the ace start game 1 usually?
    I think walks are overrated unless you can run. If you get a walk and put the pitcher in a stretch, that helps, but the guy who walks and cant run, most of the time hes clogging up the bases for somebody who can run. Dusty Baker.

Oh What a way for Los to return there What a game as well!

Shields deserved the start Friday for being the veteran leader and he also had a better year in 2011 than Price. He didn't perform Friday like a #1 but neither did CC. 3 straight wins against the Yankees? Can't ask for a better start, but now we head out to three tough places to play, Detroit, Boston & Toronto. Certainly off to a better start than '11 and hoping we go at least .500 on the road trip.

Shields deserved the start Friday for being the veteran leader and he also had a better year in 2011 than Price. He didn't perform Friday like a #1 but neither did CC. 3 straight wins against the Yankees? Can't ask for a better start, but now we head out to three tough places to play, Detroit, Boston & Toronto. Certainly off to a better start than '11 and hoping we go at least .500 on the road trip.
    there are only tough places this season. the orioles suck but the other teams of the division are all really good. I think NY is going to win the division but the race for the two WCs will be really tough with the angels (or rangers), red sox and rays. the blue jays are also very tough. the rays can of course also win the division but then it has to go really well and some guys need really good years.
    I think walks are overrated unless you can run. If you get a walk and put the pitcher in a stretch, that helps, but the guy who walks and cant run, most of the time hes clogging up the bases for somebody who can run. Dusty Baker.

Not Worried about the sox Detroit i will be happy with 2 of three.

I am officially worried about this team. The SPs are just going through a slump right now, but it's wearing the bullpen down in the process. Looks like we are on the way to our 3rd straight L to the Red Sox, with a potent Blue Jay team waiting in the wings. Time for Shields tomorrow to stand up and lead the way.
    Last edited by raysnbran; 04-15-2012 at 05:16 PM.

Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast