Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ny giants to be honored at at@t park

Ny giants to be honored at at@t park

Not sure if you all noticed but the Giants are honoring the fact the Giants played their last game in NY 55 years ago. The event will take place on June 26th versus the Bums.

New York Giants Night / "Polo Grounds: 55 Year Anniversary"
    Tuesday, 6/26 vs. LA 7:15 p.m

Here is the link: It is the 18th one down
    http://sanfrancisco.giants.mlb.com/s...s.jsp#nygiants

GIANTSGURU
    Last edited by GIANTSGURU; 02-27-2012 at 02:37 PM. Reason: confusion

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GIANTSGURU View Post
    Not sure if you all noticed but the Giants are honoring the fact the Giants played their last game in NY 55 years ago on June 26th versus the Bums.

New York Giants Night / "Polo Grounds: 55 Year Anniversary"
    Tuesday, 6/26 vs. LA 7:15 p.m

Here is the link: It is the 18th one down
    http://sanfrancisco.giants.mlb.com/s...s.jsp#nygiants

GIANTSGURU
    Not quite right. The Giants beat the Dodgers at the Polo Grounds on a homer by Hank Sauer on a Sunday in September. I was there. The last Polo Grounds home game was against the Pirates on Sept. 27. The Giants lost that one.

I think the press release merely mentions the anniversary of the year, not the day or month.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Barrie View Post
    Not quite right. The Giants beat the Dodgers at the Polo Grounds on a homer by Hank Sauer on a Sunday in September. I was there. The last Polo Grounds home game was against the Pirates on Sept. 27. The Giants lost that one.

I think the press release merely mentions the anniversary of the year, not the day or month.
    Joe, I thinked you read it wrong or I confused you, doesn't matter. The SF Giants are honoring the last game (season) the Giants played in NY on June 26, 2012. The last game game the NY Giants played at the Polo Grounds was on September 29, 1957, against the Pirates. They lost 9-1 in front of 11, 606 fans. There ia a great video of the game filmed by a friend named Moe Resner, who was a teenager at the time and was lucky enough to get onto the field. He turned it int a DVD called The End of an Era. You can search it out on GOOGLE. Here is a sample on you tube from SABR

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1K5RuoIhmFs

GIANTSGURU
    Last edited by GIANTSGURU; 02-26-2012 at 05:20 AM. Reason: SPELLING

Frank Thomas caught the last out in the 1957 game and then played in the last game there as a member of the Mets. I wonder if they're going to invite the living players from the Giants who played in the Polo Grounds, not just Mays and Irvin.

Joe, I thinked you read it wrong or I confused you, doesn't matter. The SF Giants are honoring the last game (season) the Giants played in NY on June 26, 2012. The last game game the NY Giants played at the Polo Grounds was on September 29, 1957, against the Pirates. They lost 9-1 in front of 11, 606 fans. There ia a great video of the game filmed by a friend named Moe Resner, who was a teenager at the time and was lucky enough to get onto the field. He turned it int a DVD called The End of an Era. You can search it out on GOOGLE. Here is a sample on you tube from SABR

GIANTSGURU
    Baseball Happenings
    - Linking baseball's past, present and future.
    http://baseballhappenings.blogspot.com

Blog Entries

GIANTSGURU
    Thanks for the clarification. And yes, it was the 29th (my mother's birthday).

Hopefully they whip out the old uniforms for this.

Not sure if I want them to go full NY Giant uni or not. Hmmmmm...
    Last edited by StanTheMan; 02-27-2012 at 08:32 PM.
    "Herman Franks to Sal Yvars to Bobby Thomson. Ralph Branca to Bobby Thomson to Helen Rita... cue Russ Hodges."

The Giants have to ask permission from MLB to wear different uniforms which I believe they are in the process of doing-GIANTSGURU
    Last edited by GIANTSGURU; 02-27-2012 at 02:43 PM. Reason: spelling

I edited the first post which hopefully ends any and all problems. Hope didn't confuse too many of you. Intentions were just to inform.-GIANTSGURU

I am sure that San Fran celebrating the Giants move will go over REAL well with New York fans. And, sadly, they won't care...
    Baseball. The official sport of god.

Quote Originally Posted by doug217 View Post
    I am sure that San Fran celebrating the Giants move will go over REAL well with New York fans. And, sadly, they won't care...
    Your hate fullfills me. Fills my heart with song. Please, give us more.

I don't hate the Giants. I despise them. The Giants should be really proud of Barry Bonds..
    Last edited by doug217; 03-01-2012 at 11:41 AM. Reason: To add.
    Baseball. The official sport of god.

Quote Originally Posted by CandlestickBum View Post
    Your hate fullfills me. Fills my heart with song. Please, give us more.
    No hate perceived by this New Yorker, although having been born after the "Jints" moved west, my only connection to the "New York" Giants is historical, not emotional. In any case I think doug217 has a valid point - even though it's been 55 years since the Giants' last year in New York, I'm sure there are people who still remember them as a New York club from their childhood, and are still sad they left.

For my part, I'm interested in seeing the "collector's edition Polo Grounds Stadium Replica" they plan to give away on June 26.
    X
    This is home now - Citi Field, capacity 41,800 - and every seat in this ballpark seemingly filled, some standees as well, anticipating a piece of history as delivered by Mike Pelfrey, the 25-year-old from Wichita, Kansas. Into a windup, his first pitch in the history of Citi Field, a fastball for a called strike to Jody Gerut. Gerut off to a .214 start with no homers and one RBI. - Howie Rose calls the very first pitch thrown at Citi Field, April 13, 2009

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Dunaier View Post
    in New York, I'm sure there are people who still remember them as a New York club from their childhood, and are still sad they left.
    Use to meet ex New Yorkers at the local ballpark all the time back when. They are rarer birds these days obviously. Miss em, they were interesting to talk ball with. And not just history, but that season or whatever was happening. This, then snotnosed young kid, learned more than a little bit from those guys.

I will have to look that promotion up!

I don't hate the Giants. I despise them. The Giants should be really proud of Barry Bonds..
    As probably the best Giant player since Mays, Giants fans should be proud of Barry. As should Pirates fans. Barry from 1990-1992 was one of the best all around players baseball had seen in a LONG time.

Fans of both teams should be proud of the real Barry, the perennial 40-40 candidate who lapped the field for an entire decade, before the tragic BALCO saga commenced.

Bonds saved the franchise in San Francisco - I am not sure they get the ballpark built without him. Put yourself back into 1992, the Giants were going to Tampa. Then two months later they sign Barry Bonds and stay in San Francisco. Amazing.

I don't care at all for steroids, so it's not worth my time condemning him. Greenies were not only legal but encouraged, and seem to be just as powerful a PED. Notice how offense has dropped now that greenies are banned. And what is a PED anyway? A cortisone shot sure is a PED in my book.

Update, if anyone is interested

I edited the first post which hopefully ends any and all problems. Hope didn't confuse too many of you. Intentions were just to inform.-GIANTSGURU
    http://sanfrancisco.giants.mlb.com/s...group=nygiants

Awesome! I'll have to go to this game!
    Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.-Crash Davis

The Giants wore NY Giants throwback uniforms for a 1991 game.

Will_Clark_throwback.jpg
    Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.-Crash Davis

Stadium replica looks great!

polo.JPG

I'd need to see a bigger picture, but it looks pretty accurate considering they weren't going to spend the money needed to produce a perfect replica only to give it away.

The Giants have worn NY throwbacks several times. As the pic above shows, they did it in the early 90s, with all of the variations, and they also wore some '50s throwbacks for the Bobby Thomson 50th anniversary game.

What a special night!! We were lucky enough to be announced on the field. Peter Magowan made a terrific speech about keeping the NY Giants memories alive. He then led us to the clubhouse where Willie Mays was awaiting our arrival. We chatted with him and then Clubhouse Manager Mike Murphy supplied each of us with a ball that Willie then signed. UNFORGETTABLE!!

What a special night!! We were lucky enough to be announced on the field. Peter Magowan made a terrific speech about keeping the NY Giants memories alive. He then led us to the clubhouse where Willie Mays was awaiting our arrival. We chatted with him and then Clubhouse Manager Mike Murphy supplied each of us with a ball that Willie then signed. UNFORGETTABLE!!
    I think it's fine the San Francisco Giants continue to recognize the New York era, even if more than a half century has gone by. Did a little research, and only one position player(Mays), was still around when San Francisco made their first World Series showing in 1962 who had played in NY. This is a good thread, because it salutes the differences with these older cities, the memories of these teams is also tied to the cities where they happened. The first San Francisco World Title in 2010 just didn't have anything to do with New York, and the interest among the few living NY Giants fans was low for that reason. Conversely, John McGraw, and Mel Ott really have nothing at all to do with the San Francisco Giants. Few current SF fans know anything about those old Giants since the history didn't occur there.

i totally agree with your last statement, "Few current SF fans know anything about those old Giants since the history didn't occur there." Some didn't even realize they played in NY. While out there, many of us tried to educate them on the history of the team. It is important to know where you came from, in life and I guess even on the playing field. I went to the trophy presentation in NY and I must tell many of the old NY Giants fans were there. Many still root for the team in SF. That I feel is man difference between Dodger fans and Giants fans. IMHO more NY Giants fans stayed with the team while Dodger fans for the most part abandoned the team (they had their right too) just like the Dodgers abandoned their fans in Brooklyn. The attachment of Dodgers and fans in Brooklyn seemed much tighter than the Giants and fheir fans in NYC.

Blog Entries
    According to yesterday's NYT, a SF Giants contingent led by Willie Mays will again be in NYC (next week) to celebrate their latest World championship with some of their former fans in an appropriate bar, and meeting with two nostalgia groups. Buster Posey will visit Yogi Berra in New Jersey.

I was a fan of the New York Giants, but I still can't get excited about the SF team. I do, on the other hand, think it's nice that they remember their origin. No other club has done this in the 20th and 21st centuries, as I recall, except for the Milwaukee Braves, who played a mid-season exhibition game against the Red Sox at Fenway Park for several years running.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast