Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2012 Spring training

2012 Spring training

Has anyone seen the game today? lavarnway caught a couple of innings. do you think they will try him as a catcher this season?
    I think walks are overrated unless you can run. If you get a walk and put the pitcher in a stretch, that helps, but the guy who walks and cant run, most of the time hes clogging up the bases for somebody who can run. Dusty Baker.

did not see the game, but from the sounds of it Miller looked good and Lars Anderson looks a lot stronger and the ball is jumping off his bat.

can a mod sticky this thread?

Quote Originally Posted by dominik View Post
    Has anyone seen the game today? lavarnway caught a couple of innings. do you think they will try him as a catcher this season?
    I didn't see the game, but saw a picture somewhere (globe?) of him tagging out a runner who tried to steal home.

Barring an injury, Lavarnway will probably start the season in Pawtucket, where he'll split catching duties with Luis Exposito (and probably DH when he's not catching, or get a few games at 1B).
    Visit my new card scan site at Baseball Card Scans.

View my autograph collection at Mike D's TTM Page.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike D. View Post
    I didn't see the game, but saw a picture somewhere (globe?) of him tagging out a runner who tried to steal home.

Barring an injury, Lavarnway will probably start the season in Pawtucket, where he'll split catching duties with Luis Exposito (and probably DH when he's not catching, or get a few games at 1B).
    I would prefer that for him. At least try him as a catcher. and since DH is mostly blocked by ortiz you don't waste time by starting him in AAA. I don't think using him a a platoon DH against lefties is not the best for his developement.

if it doesn't work out at all they still cen call him up in june and DH him in the majors.
    I think walks are overrated unless you can run. If you get a walk and put the pitcher in a stretch, that helps, but the guy who walks and cant run, most of the time hes clogging up the bases for somebody who can run. Dusty Baker.

Iglesias is making a case to stay with the big club. I say one more year at AAA, then take over next year...but he looks pretty good now and Bobby V is not scared to make an unconventional decision.

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Boxer View Post
    Iglesias is making a case to stay with the big club. I say one more year at AAA, then take over next year...but he looks pretty good now and Bobby V is not scared to make an unconventional decision.
    Not to be the spoiler here, but Iglesias looked pretty good in the limited sample of spring training last year. He'll start at AAA and I'm sure the FO and Bobby V will monitor his development closely. Mike Aviles will be our opening day ss and that's ok.
    Watching Derek Jeter make 40 defensive plays and then watching Adam Everett make 40 defensive plays at the same position is sort of like watching video of Barbara Bush dancing at the White House, and then watching Demi Moore dancing in Striptease. (Bill James)

Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power. If he can continue to hit .260 or so, he'll be useful, and he probably has a future as a backup infielder. (Keith Law)

watching sox v. pitt now. The ball is jumping off the bat of Aviles. I fully expect him to start as well. Also, Padilla is throwing and I cant help but think when i watch him he could snap at any moment and attack someone.

but way to be a spoiler! I must be the hysterical fan that Papeldouche was talking about.
    Last edited by Boston Boxer; 03-09-2012 at 06:46 PM.

I must admit that i very badly want Iglesias to be on the big club come April but i understand if they keep him in AAA. Who do you guys have as the 5th starter? I am hearing lots of positives on Dubront.

I must be the hysterical fan that Papeldouche was talking about.
    The one good thing about Papelbon being gone (other than that the Sox saved a ton of money) is that I can finally openly admit what an idiot Papelbon is! The Phillies have better fans?! Really?! I mean how would he know, he went from Boston to his offseason home and from there straight to Spring training in Florida. Outside of games played there with the Red Sox, he hasn't even been to Philadelphia.
    Watching Derek Jeter make 40 defensive plays and then watching Adam Everett make 40 defensive plays at the same position is sort of like watching video of Barbara Bush dancing at the White House, and then watching Demi Moore dancing in Striptease. (Bill James)

Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power. If he can continue to hit .260 or so, he'll be useful, and he probably has a future as a backup infielder. (Keith Law)

Quote Originally Posted by Mathies_dane View Post
    I must admit that i very badly want Iglesias to be on the big club come April but i understand if they keep him in AAA. Who do you guys have as the 5th starter? I am hearing lots of positives on Dubront.
    I think Doubront has a real shot! He's homegrown, despite his struggles last year he's always had good stuff and he's out of options so he can't be sent down...

I think the #5 is going to be Miller. I prefer Doubront out of the bullpen. I just think this current coaching staff is really solid and will fix Miller and Dice-K making them productive players. I watched Miller and Bard when they played for NC and they were two of the best arms in college. Miller, like Dice-K, was screwed up coming to the big leagues because team wanted them to go away from what made them successful and tried to change mechanics and routines etc.

Loving the young guys getting better and having a shot i.e. Doubront, Iglesias, Bowden

I think the #5 is going to be Miller. I prefer Doubront out of the bullpen. I just think this current coaching staff is really solid and will fix Miller and Dice-K making them productive players. I watched Miller and Bard when they played for NC and they were two of the best arms in college. Miller, like Dice-K, was screwed up coming to the big leagues because team wanted them to go away from what made them successful and tried to change mechanics and routines etc.

Loving the young guys getting better and having a shot i.e. Doubront, Iglesias, Bowden
    I would love for you to be right about Miller, I really would! He was one of the more exciting prospects a couple of years ago. I just have lost faith in him. I hope I'm wrong. Doubront on the other hand, I think, will surprise quite a few people this year.

I am giving Miller one more year...if he cant get it done this year then game over for him. Bard looked good tonight against the Rays. It is hard to get a read on guys as they are trying to work on pitches and locations, but he looked good. Aceves is on now and he is throwing well also. Going to be hard to keep him out of the rotation, but his worth is in the pen. Will be very interesting to see how it ends up.

Another thing i really want answered how is it going to affect Dice-K that he now has a manger he can communicate with in stead of the translator...I say its a plus and have strong hopes for a good year for Dice-K. On the Miller/Dubront debate I am really torn. Miller seams like a great guy and big prospect but his delivery really worries me. I am still high on Dubront!

I'm sure a fresh start with a new manager, GM, and pitching coach can only help Dice-K. The fact that that manager knows a little Japanese and Japanese baseball can't hurt, either.

Dice-K is going to be a potential nice late-season boost, for sure. At this point, he's a sunk cost (both financially and emotionally) so anything he gives them in the second half is a bonus.

Caught a few innings of the Rays game yesterday. Actually saw a perfectly executed hit-and-run by the Sox. I might like Bobby V afterall.
    "I believe in the Church of Baseball. I tried all the major religions and most of the minor ones. I've worshipped Buddha, Allah, Brahma, Vishnu, Siva, trees, mushrooms and Isadora Duncan. I know things. For instance, there are 108 beads in a Catholic rosary and there are 108 stitches in a baseball. When I learned that, I gave Jesus a chance." ~Ron Shelton, from Bull Durham

Bobby V has been very aggresive in ST on the bases and i like it. we have a few guys that can run, so why not. It certainly is exciting with the new philosophy

Quote Originally Posted by Therwil Flyer View Post
    I think Doubront has a real shot! He's homegrown, despite his struggles last year he's always had good stuff and he's out of options so he can't be sent down...
    he really looked good tonight against the Yankees. The #5 spot is going to be a battle

in other news...the Yankees signed Andy Pettite today. It is "clear" to me that he has found the fountain of youth. Maybe he and Clemens are "working out" together again.

what about Doubront and Cook as the #4 and #5 guys in the rotation and Bard/Aceves back in the pen?

Beckett
    Lester
    Buchholz
    Doubront
    Cook

Bailey
    Bard
    Aceves
    Melancon
    Bowden
    ???
    ???

I don't think Cook will crack the opening day rotation. There were some health issues early in ST and Cook has only pitched 5.1 innings yet this spring. For better or worse, I think the Red Sox are committed to give Bard a legitimate shot at starting. Fot the 5th spot, my guess is it's between Aceves, Doubront and Padilla.
    At this point, I'd say:

Beckett
    Lester
    Buchholz
    Bard
    Doubront

Bailey
    Melancon
    Aceves
    Bowden
    Miller/Padilla
    Morales
    Albers

But it's still 18 days to go. A lot can happen in 18 days...

It is "clear" to me that he has found the fountain of youth.
    You think he'll once again be the "cream" of the crop?

The Sox have released Carlos Silva, knocking one more name out of the competition for the #5 spot in the rotation.

If I had to guess, I'd say Bard 4th and Doubront 5th to start the season, with Cook inserting himself into the discussion after starting the season with Pawtucket to continue building up arm strength.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike D. View Post
    You think he'll once again be the "cream" of the crop?
    I think he will "inject" some maturity into the rotation. He will give the staff a real "shot in the arm".

I watched Bard's start yesterday and the good news is that even in the fifth his FB was still consistently in the mid 90's, touching 96. The bad is that he continues to walk batters at a worrisome rate this spring and that a couple of his pitches have been rather wild. It's only spring training though so that might be just a pitcher trying to find his mechanics.

I'm still convinced he will be given a spot in the rotation (at least until about June).
    Last edited by Therwil Flyer; 03-21-2012 at 09:25 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast