Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dominik
    • Oct 2008

the red sox send down iglesias http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?...s_mlb&c_id=mlb

seems like aviles will win the job.

I think this is the right decision.he is a good talent but he hasn't really mastered AAA ball yet. let him rake there before you call him to the majors then it will be his job.
    I now have my own non commercial blog about training for batspeed and power using my training experience in baseball and track and field.

Comment

• SwissRedSoxFan
      • Jan 2006

Lars Anderson has been sent down and Ciriaco has a .649 OPS in more than 3000 at bats in the minors. He could be the lucky guy Valentine chose to like.
      I know you're watching, Si. Bu.

Comment

• Mike D.
        • Feb 2006

Originally posted by SwissRedSoxFan View Post
        Lars Anderson has been sent down and Ciriaco has a .649 OPS in more than 3000 at bats in the minors. He could be the lucky guy Valentine chose to like.
        Perhaps. They might also bring Lavarnway north for a few weeks (whoever goes it'll only be until Crawford comes back) or use the spot to carry a bullpen arm who's out of options.
        Visit my card site at Mike D's Baseball Card Page.

Comment

• Therwil Flyer
          #firedavedombrowski
          • Oct 2010

Originally posted by dominik View Post
          the red sox send down iglesias http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?...s_mlb&c_id=mlb

seems like aviles will win the job.

I think this is the right decision.he is a good talent but he hasn't really mastered AAA ball yet. let him rake there before you call him to the majors then it will be his job.
          I go with Dave Cameron's (fangraphs) comment on this:
          Kid who hits .235 in Triple-A last year gets optioned back to Triple-A. This is now breaking news?
          Watching Derek Jeter make 40 defensive plays and then watching Adam Everett make 40 defensive plays at the same position is sort of like watching video of Barbara Bush dancing at the White House, and then watching Demi Moore dancing in Striptease. (Bill James)

Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power. If he can continue to hit .260 or so, he'll be useful, and he probably has a future as a backup infielder. (Keith Law)

Comment

• dominik
            • Oct 2008

Originally posted by Therwil Flyer View Post
            I go with Dave Cameron's (fangraphs) comment on this:
            I agree however many guys thought he would be the starting SS already this season.
            I now have my own non commercial blog about training for batspeed and power using my training experience in baseball and track and field.

Comment

• Evangelion
              Baseball Fever Member
              • Dec 2005

How much worse could our rotation be without John Lackey. It's a joke, but at the same time I'm quite serious. He was clearly that horrible, so any pitcher replacing him couldn't be that terrible. I expect Bard, Aceves, Padilla, and Cook. This team did win a large amount of games last year without Buchholz for the second half of the season and Lackey basically going out every fifth day giving up 5-7 runs. Also, 4th and 5th starters are not going to be dominate or, in most teams cases, decent starters. If they keep the team in the game, they're doing their job. Not like Lackey, who basically lost games by giving up 6-8 runs a number of times last year and got bailed out by the dominate offense.

I stick with Bard for the upside. Hopefully, if happens to falter, he can pick up his role in the bullpen again. Same applies to Aceves. Ideal situation to me is Cook and Padilla can break camp with 4/5 spot and handle their job and Aceves and Bard return to bullpen to sure up the bullpen even further. Though, Bard's upside is appealing. Not like Aceves can't handle starting either, but I don't see Cook or Padilla being of much use in the bullpen, especially Cook with no track record for the bullpen.

Comment

• Boston Boxer
                US Air Force Retired
                • Jun 2003

i wonder what we do when Dice-K comes back mid way through the season

Comment

• Mike D.
                  • Feb 2006

Originally posted by Boston Boxer View Post
                  Probably not worth worrying about now...these things tend to work themselves out. Someone will get hurt and not pitch well, or he won't pitch well and won't push for spot.

Comment

• Dude Paskert
                    The Grand Poobah of Sweat
                    • Mar 2012

My fervent hope is that the staff is pitching so well at that point that Dice-K is only used to mop up...both in the occasional blowout wins and losses AND in the generally filthy men's rooms at Fenway during the other games.
                    "If I drink whiskey, I'll never get worms!" - Hack Wilson

Comment

• Boston Boxer
                      US Air Force Retired
                      • Jun 2003

rotation is set: Lester, Beckett, Buchholz, Doubront, Bard.

Serious questions in the pen. Bailey was suppose to throw yesterday and did not. Now there is talk of a forearm or elbow injury. With the Sox crack medical staff, who knows what the deal is.

Comment

• Dogdaze
                        2004, 2007 & 2013
                        • Oct 2006

Serious questions in the pen. Bailey was suppose to throw yesterday and did not. Now there is talk of a forearm or elbow injury. With the Sox crack medical staff, who knows what the deal is.
                        Apparently Bailey has a thumb injury;

No timetable as to how long he'll be out, Aceves or Melanson may close until he returns, though I think Bard would be better suited for closer, but we all knew the Sox were going to have Bard in the rotation so Aceves may make the most sense till Bailey returns.

Kudos to Doubrant for winning the 4th starter spot in the rotation, I think he earned it.

I imagine they'll see how well Bard and Doubrant do for the first month or 6 weeks, then if one or both aren't doing so well, they'll call up Cook and place Bard or Doubrant in the pen. Should be interesting to watch, hopefully they both do well and won't have to call Cook up.
                        Last edited by Dogdaze; 04-01-2012, 10:51 AM.

Comment

• Boston Boxer
                          US Air Force Retired
                          • Jun 2003

just saw the Bailey update on the Sox v. Twins game on NESN. Doubront really pitched well and deserved it for sure. I am still worried about the bull pen and think Doubront and Cook makes more sense with Bard closing and Aceves in the pen as well. You are not looking for a 20 game winner from the #5 spot in the rotation...I think Cook/Padilla would be more than servicable as the #5 and Bard/Aceves makes the pen 100 times better.

either way, i am looking forward to the start of the season.

Comment

• Mike D.
                            • Feb 2006

I think they got this exactly right....even having Doubront #4 and Bard #5. With Bard in the #5 spot, it'll be a bit easier to manage his innings...I don't think they need a #5 the first 8-10 days of the season, for example, and if they can skip his turn a couple other times to get him more rest, it'll help manage his innings/workload.

Hopefully Bailey's thumb injury isn't serious and they can manage the back end of the pen with Melancon and Aceves. Having Cook in AAA in case Doubront or Bard pitch poorly the first 6 weeks or so or there is an injury is a nice cushion they didn't have last year.

Comment

• SwissRedSoxFan
                              • Jan 2006

Originally posted by Mike D. View Post
                              I think they got this exactly right....even having Doubront #4 and Bard #5. With Bard in the #5 spot, it'll be a bit easier to manage his innings...I don't think they need a #5 the first 8-10 days of the season, for example, and if they can skip his turn a couple other times to get him more rest, it'll help manage his innings/workload.

Hopefully Bailey's thumb injury isn't serious and they can manage the back end of the pen with Melancon and Aceves. Having Cook in AAA in case Doubront or Bard pitch poorly the first 6 weeks or so or there is an injury is a nice cushion they didn't have last year.
                              Love it! Doubront was expected in the rotation a year ago, when he came into ST out of shape. Good he did it at least a year later rather than never. As far as I'm concerned he should have no innings limit at all. When Bard reaches his limit you can still put in Padilla, Cook or Aceves. Padilla was very close to the rotation I think. I was positiley surprised the way he pitched. And besides: I'm an Eephus-pitch-fan....

Positive projection for Doubront 2012: 180 innings, 4.65 ERA, 1.35 whip, 7 K/9.

If Bailey goes down, I'm concerned about the pen though.
                              Last edited by SwissRedSoxFan; 04-02-2012, 03:02 AM.
                              I know you're watching, Si. Bu.

Comment

• Mike D.
                                • Feb 2006

I'm hoping they're smart about Bard's useage, so he doesn't "hit his innings limit". Not like the Nationals are doing with SS, "He'll go 160 innings and then get shut down".

By pitching him in the #5 spot, they should be able to skip him a few times due to the schedule and/or rainouts. A "phantom" DL spell with Cook, Padilla, or Aceves taking the spot for a couple weeks wouldn't shock me, either. You don't want him at his innings limit in July, because this team has intentions to be a playoff team, and you want your best pitchers on the mound in October.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X