X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dominik
    • Oct 2008

2012 Spring training

Has anyone seen the game today? lavarnway caught a couple of innings. do you think they will try him as a catcher this season?
    I now have my own non commercial blog about training for batspeed and power using my training experience in baseball and track and field.
  • Boston Boxer
    US Air Force Retired
    • Jun 2003

did not see the game, but from the sounds of it Miller looked good and Lars Anderson looks a lot stronger and the ball is jumping off his bat.

can a mod sticky this thread?

Comment

• Mike D.
      • Feb 2006

Originally posted by dominik View Post
      Has anyone seen the game today? lavarnway caught a couple of innings. do you think they will try him as a catcher this season?
      I didn't see the game, but saw a picture somewhere (globe?) of him tagging out a runner who tried to steal home.

Barring an injury, Lavarnway will probably start the season in Pawtucket, where he'll split catching duties with Luis Exposito (and probably DH when he's not catching, or get a few games at 1B).
      Visit my card site at Mike D's Baseball Card Page.

Comment

• dominik
        • Oct 2008

Originally posted by Mike D. View Post
        I didn't see the game, but saw a picture somewhere (globe?) of him tagging out a runner who tried to steal home.

Barring an injury, Lavarnway will probably start the season in Pawtucket, where he'll split catching duties with Luis Exposito (and probably DH when he's not catching, or get a few games at 1B).
        I would prefer that for him. At least try him as a catcher. and since DH is mostly blocked by ortiz you don't waste time by starting him in AAA. I don't think using him a a platoon DH against lefties is not the best for his developement.

if it doesn't work out at all they still cen call him up in june and DH him in the majors.
        I now have my own non commercial blog about training for batspeed and power using my training experience in baseball and track and field.

Comment

• Boston Boxer
          US Air Force Retired
          • Jun 2003

Iglesias is making a case to stay with the big club. I say one more year at AAA, then take over next year...but he looks pretty good now and Bobby V is not scared to make an unconventional decision.

Comment

• Therwil Flyer
            #firedavedombrowski
            • Oct 2010

Originally posted by Boston Boxer View Post
            Iglesias is making a case to stay with the big club. I say one more year at AAA, then take over next year...but he looks pretty good now and Bobby V is not scared to make an unconventional decision.
            Not to be the spoiler here, but Iglesias looked pretty good in the limited sample of spring training last year. He'll start at AAA and I'm sure the FO and Bobby V will monitor his development closely. Mike Aviles will be our opening day ss and that's ok.
            Watching Derek Jeter make 40 defensive plays and then watching Adam Everett make 40 defensive plays at the same position is sort of like watching video of Barbara Bush dancing at the White House, and then watching Demi Moore dancing in Striptease. (Bill James)

Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power. If he can continue to hit .260 or so, he'll be useful, and he probably has a future as a backup infielder. (Keith Law)

Comment

• Boston Boxer
              US Air Force Retired
              • Jun 2003

watching sox v. pitt now. The ball is jumping off the bat of Aviles. I fully expect him to start as well. Also, Padilla is throwing and I cant help but think when i watch him he could snap at any moment and attack someone.

but way to be a spoiler! I must be the hysterical fan that Papeldouche was talking about.
              Last edited by Boston Boxer; 03-09-2012, 05:46 PM.

Comment

• Mathies_dane
                • Apr 2010

I must admit that i very badly want Iglesias to be on the big club come April but i understand if they keep him in AAA. Who do you guys have as the 5th starter? I am hearing lots of positives on Dubront.

Comment

• Therwil Flyer
                  #firedavedombrowski
                  • Oct 2010

I must be the hysterical fan that Papeldouche was talking about.
                  The one good thing about Papelbon being gone (other than that the Sox saved a ton of money) is that I can finally openly admit what an idiot Papelbon is! The Phillies have better fans?! Really?! I mean how would he know, he went from Boston to his offseason home and from there straight to Spring training in Florida. Outside of games played there with the Red Sox, he hasn't even been to Philadelphia.
                  Watching Derek Jeter make 40 defensive plays and then watching Adam Everett make 40 defensive plays at the same position is sort of like watching video of Barbara Bush dancing at the White House, and then watching Demi Moore dancing in Striptease. (Bill James)

Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power. If he can continue to hit .260 or so, he'll be useful, and he probably has a future as a backup infielder. (Keith Law)

Comment

• Therwil Flyer
                    #firedavedombrowski
                    • Oct 2010

Originally posted by Mathies_dane View Post
                    I must admit that i very badly want Iglesias to be on the big club come April but i understand if they keep him in AAA. Who do you guys have as the 5th starter? I am hearing lots of positives on Dubront.
                    I think Doubront has a real shot! He's homegrown, despite his struggles last year he's always had good stuff and he's out of options so he can't be sent down...

Comment

• Boston Boxer
                      US Air Force Retired
                      • Jun 2003

I think the #5 is going to be Miller. I prefer Doubront out of the bullpen. I just think this current coaching staff is really solid and will fix Miller and Dice-K making them productive players. I watched Miller and Bard when they played for NC and they were two of the best arms in college. Miller, like Dice-K, was screwed up coming to the big leagues because team wanted them to go away from what made them successful and tried to change mechanics and routines etc.

Loving the young guys getting better and having a shot i.e. Doubront, Iglesias, Bowden

Comment

• Therwil Flyer
                        #firedavedombrowski
                        • Oct 2010

I think the #5 is going to be Miller. I prefer Doubront out of the bullpen. I just think this current coaching staff is really solid and will fix Miller and Dice-K making them productive players. I watched Miller and Bard when they played for NC and they were two of the best arms in college. Miller, like Dice-K, was screwed up coming to the big leagues because team wanted them to go away from what made them successful and tried to change mechanics and routines etc.

Loving the young guys getting better and having a shot i.e. Doubront, Iglesias, Bowden
                        I would love for you to be right about Miller, I really would! He was one of the more exciting prospects a couple of years ago. I just have lost faith in him. I hope I'm wrong. Doubront on the other hand, I think, will surprise quite a few people this year.

Comment

• Boston Boxer
                          US Air Force Retired
                          • Jun 2003

I am giving Miller one more year...if he cant get it done this year then game over for him. Bard looked good tonight against the Rays. It is hard to get a read on guys as they are trying to work on pitches and locations, but he looked good. Aceves is on now and he is throwing well also. Going to be hard to keep him out of the rotation, but his worth is in the pen. Will be very interesting to see how it ends up.

Comment

• Mathies_dane
                            • Apr 2010

Another thing i really want answered how is it going to affect Dice-K that he now has a manger he can communicate with in stead of the translator...I say its a plus and have strong hopes for a good year for Dice-K. On the Miller/Dubront debate I am really torn. Miller seams like a great guy and big prospect but his delivery really worries me. I am still high on Dubront!

Comment

• Mike D.
                              • Feb 2006

I'm sure a fresh start with a new manager, GM, and pitching coach can only help Dice-K. The fact that that manager knows a little Japanese and Japanese baseball can't hurt, either.

Dice-K is going to be a potential nice late-season boost, for sure. At this point, he's a sunk cost (both financially and emotionally) so anything he gives them in the second half is a bonus.
                              Visit my card site at Mike D's Baseball Card Page.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X