Page 4 of 23 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Marlins Park

BTW - anybody know what was the last ballpark that didn't sell out it's first reg season game ever?

My guess would be the Rays first home game ever...

Quote Originally Posted by schnu View Post
    BTW - anybody know what was the last ballpark that didn't sell out it's first reg season game ever?

Ummm......really? Talk about pulling stuff out of thin air:

http://jacksonville.com/tu-online/st..._2d4devil.html

Jacksonville.com: **Sports** Devil Rays lose in opener 04/01/98

By The Times-Union

Wednesday, April 1, 1998Story last updated at 11:07 a.m. on Wednesday, April 1, 1998

Devil Rays lose in opener

Associated Press

ST. PETERSBURG - It took two decades for Tampa Bay to get a major league team. It will take at least one more day to get a win.

Playing like the expansion team they are, the Devil Rays fell flat in their first game, losing 11-6 to the Detroit Tigers yesterday.

''There was a lot going on, but we're not going to make excuses,'' Tampa Bay's Larry Rothschild said after his debut as a major league manager. ''We just got beat.''

Joe Randa and Joe Oliver each drove in three runs and Luis Gonzalez hit a two-run homer as the Tigers ruined the day for a sellout crowd of 45,369 at Tropicana Field.

. It will be interesting to see what the Marlins draw in a few weeks - sections in the upper RF corner were about 50% filled & that was for the first regular season game in the stadium's history.
    What on earth are you talking about?

Yesterday's game at first pitch:

Announced paid attendance was 36,601 (probably not factor in a couple hundred comp tickets, as is common for stadium opening days.) The park's regular seated capacity (not counting standing room) is 36,000.
    Last edited by PeteU; 04-05-2012 at 08:39 AM.

Bad guess on my part...no offense meant.

Quote Originally Posted by PeteU View Post

In the 5th inning on ESPN, they panned the crowd - the RF corner (which you cannot see in this photo) was not filled.

Plus the capacity of the park is 37,442, while last night's attendance was 36,601.

UPDATE - Apparently the Marlins announced a sellout (maybe club seats, etc).
    Last edited by schnu; 04-05-2012 at 08:50 AM.

Announced paid attendance was 36,601 (probably not factor in a couple hundred comp tickets, as is common for stadium opening days.) The park's regular seated capacity (not counting standing room) is 36,000.
    Is it bad that I think with all the color on the walls and home run statue that the concrete looks too bland being grey?
    The one constant through all the years, Ray, has been baseball. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. It has been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again. But baseball has marked the time.

Lost in all the hoopla is the fact that Marlins Park has set a Major League record (OK, probably not an official one ) as the southern-most park in Major League Baseball. At 25 (degrees - sorry don't know how to make the degree symbol on a PC) 46' 42.00" N, breaks the record held by the Marlins' previous home, Joe Robbie/Pro Player/Dolphins/Dolphin/Landshark/SunLife Stadium, at 25 57' 29.80" N.

Latitude numbers (or is it longitude? Always get them mixed up) from Google Earth.

Wonder what the other directional extremes are in MLB. Just hazarding a guess:

Northernmost: Rogers Centre?
    Easternmost: Fenway
    Westernmost: Safeco Field

I'll have to check out Google Earth to confirm.

Quote Originally Posted by TommieAgeefan View Post
    Lost in all the hoopla is the fact that Marlins Park has set a Major League record (OK, probably not an official one ) as the southern-most park in Major League Baseball. At 25 (degrees - sorry don't know how to make the degree symbol on a PC) 46' 42.00" N, breaks the record held by the Marlins' previous home, Joe Robbie/Pro Player/Dolphins/Dolphin/Landshark/SunLife Stadium, at 25 57' 29.80" N.

Latitude numbers (or is it longitude? Always get them mixed up) from Google Earth.

Wonder what the other directional extremes are in MLB. Just hazarding a guess:

Northernmost: Rogers Centre?
    Easternmost: Fenway
    Westernmost: Safeco Field

I'll have to check out Google Earth to confirm.
    But the expos played half a season in Peurto Rico, but still a fun fact
    The one constant through all the years, Ray, has been baseball. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. It has been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again. But baseball has marked the time.

Marlins Park, as envisioned several years ago:

And in actuality:

In the 5th inning on ESPN, they panned the crowd - the RF corner (which you cannot see in this photo) was not filled.

Plus the capacity of the park is 37,442, while last night's attendance was 36,601.

UPDATE - Apparently the Marlins announced a sellout (maybe club seats, etc).
    I'm sorry, I still don't see it:

The park's capacity with regular seats and standing room is 37,442. Standing room is 1,000.

Plus what the paid attendance figure doesn't account for is comp tickets, which are common practice for opening days of new stadiums. For example, when Oriole Park at Camden Yards opened 20 years ago, paid attendance was 44,568, despite the capacity being 48,041 at the time. Yet it too was clearly a sellout:

Quote Originally Posted by Chevy114 View Post
    But the expos played half a season in Peurto Rico, but still a fun fact
    And the Padres played the Cardinals at Aloha Stadium in Honolulu in 1997 - further south than Miami too. But PR still beats them both.

Marlins Park, as envisioned several years ago:

And in actuality:

Too bad they didn't make the scoreboard completley LED like the rendering. The current scoreboard actually looks small with all that extra border around it.

I agree I wish the scoreboard was more colorful on the sides not grey and silver.

Mik--err, Giancarlo Stanton goes all Warhol on us:

Yea, I know there was no malice in your part with this guess but Rays fans (specifically Rays fans in Pinellas County) are a bit sensitive on the matter. For all the excitement and anticipation Marlins fans felt in finally seeing their own ballpark last night I would say that the excitement surrounding the Rays in 1998 was on par considering it was the culmination of a 20 year effort to bring major league baseball to St Petersburg.

Blog Entries
    Why did they go with a very small capacity?
    Using a stolen chant from Boston Celtics fans whenever an L.A. team is playing up there just reeks of inferiority complex.

If hitting a baseball is the toughest thing to do in sports, then pitching must be the easiest thing to do in sports.

Quote Originally Posted by UnderPressure View Post
    Why did they go with a very small capacity?
    Probably because after years of playing at a stadium with 67,000 seats that made even healthy sized crowds of 30,000+ look anemic, Marlins brass wanted to go in the opposite direction. And if more that 37,000 people wanted to get in but couldn't, then it would just go to the concept of demand and make the Marlins a hotter ticket.

That and it probably wouldn't be too wise to have a stadium that is too large in that neighborhood given the parking situation.

I'm okay with that with one exception--post season games. When the Marlins made the postseason, Joe Robbie Stadium was an entirely different stadium. 67,000 screaming fans created a huge advantage for them. You won't get that in the new park.

Blog Entries
    Probably because after years of playing at a stadium with 67,000 seats that made even healthy sized crowds of 30,000+ look anemic, Marlins brass wanted to go in the opposite direction. And if more that 37,000 people wanted to get in but couldn't, then it would just go to the concept of demand and make the Marlins a hotter ticket.

That and it probably wouldn't be too wise to have a stadium that is too large in that neighborhood given the parking situation.

I'm okay with that with one exception--post season games. When the Marlins made the postseason, Joe Robbie Stadium was an entirely different stadium. 67,000 screaming fans created a huge advantage for them. You won't get that in the new park.

I feel that at least 40k is the standard capacity. Then again, you have newer stadiums like PNC and Target that both have under 40k.
    Using a stolen chant from Boston Celtics fans whenever an L.A. team is playing up there just reeks of inferiority complex.

If hitting a baseball is the toughest thing to do in sports, then pitching must be the easiest thing to do in sports.

I feel like there is nothing worse then a sea of seats in a stadium, even when you watch a football game like when the USFL's LA express would get 30,000 people at the coliseum it looked tiny. I think with the roof closed and and a sell out for the marlins playoffs you will still have some good noise with those low ceilings.

And the Padres played the Cardinals at Aloha Stadium in Honolulu in 1997 - further south than Miami too. But PR still beats them both.
    Well, I was going for regular use stadiums

But turns out I was wrong about some of the others. Fenway is indeed the eastern-most at 71 05' 50.32" W. Surprisingly, AT&T Park is further west than Safeco, 122 23' 21.06" W to 122 19' 54.52" W. However, Safeco is the furthest north at 47 35' 28.23" N (I forgot that due to the Great Lakes, the US-Canada border dips south a few hundred miles, and therefore Toronto is signifcantly south of Seattle).

Quote Originally Posted by TommieAgeefan View Post
    Well, I was going for regular use stadiums

But turns out I was wrong about some of the others. Fenway is indeed the eastern-most at 71 05' 50.32" W. Surprisingly, AT&T Park is further west than Safeco, 122 23' 21.06" W to 122 19' 54.52" W. However, Safeco is the furthest north at 47 35' 28.23" N (I forgot that due to the Great Lakes, the US-Canada border dips south a few hundred miles, and therefore Toronto is signifcantly south of Seattle).
    Windsor, Ontario is actually directly south of Detroit, Michigan

Other than the fact that the Marlins' opener and the Ray's first home game ever were complete sell-outs, you are
    spot on with your analysis.

Quote Originally Posted by The Old Ballpark View Post
    Other than the fact that the Marlins' opener and the Ray's first home game ever were complete sell-outs, you are
    But the rays averaged 30,942 their first year. So it only took a year for the distance and the original owners stupidity to wear on fans lol.

Quote Originally Posted by The Old Ballpark View Post
    re: Rays - that was a guess. My bad, which I owned up to.
    re: Marlins - I went with my eyes watching the 5-6th inning of the game on ESPN and the espn.com boxscore
    Game InformationStadium Marlins Park, Miami, FL
    Attendance 36,601 (98.9% full) - % is based on regular season capacity
    Game Time 2:42
    Weather 79 degrees, clear
    Wind 11 mph
    Umpires Home Plate - Ed Rapuano, First Base - Angel Hernandez, Second Base - Laz Diaz, Third Base - Ed Hickox

So sue me...

re: Rays - that was a guess. My bad, which I owned up to.
    re: Marlins - I went with my eyes watching the 5-6th inning of the game on ESPN and the espn.com boxscore
    Game InformationStadium Marlins Park, Miami, FL
    Attendance 36,601 (98.9% full) - % is based on regular season capacity
    Game Time 2:42
    Weather 79 degrees, clear
    Wind 11 mph
    Umpires Home Plate - Ed Rapuano, First Base - Angel Hernandez, Second Base - Laz Diaz, Third Base - Ed Hickox

So sue me...
    Come on. The game was sold out. I wanted tickets and there weren't any. Let us enjoy at least one day of being proud of our new ballpark
    1997 2003
    Parks I've visited: 30 for 30, plus 5 closed

Page 4 of 23 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast