Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: 1980 Season Thread

1980 Season Thread

--Welcome to the 20th season of CKL baseball! Normally one series will be played everyday. After each series game results, standings and injury reports will be posted. I'll alternate between team pitching/batting reports and league leaderboards every other series.
    --Also, a new league file will go out for DMB owners after every other series. Lew posts box scores and additional information on his web site after each new league file so non-DMB owners can access that info. He also provides a news sheet and picks batter/pitcher of the week so its worth a peak for DMB owners as well.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Just a post so I receive notice of any new posts.

Good luck to everyone this season. It looks like it could be a very exciting campaign!
    You see, you spend a good deal of your life gripping a baseball and in the end it turns out that it was the other way around all the time. J. Bouton

--Three teams got off to an undefeated start and they did it in very different ways. The Legends took 3 one run decisions, including an extra inning affair from the Boys. The Knights shut down the Tyrants - allowing only 4 runs in the 3 games and the Thunder poundied the Corsairs - putting up 30 runs in those 3 games. Jaxx catcher Rick Cerone knocked in 8 runs and Skipjacks RFer Jorge Orta hit 3 HR to get off to great starts. Full reporting will begin with 2nd series.

Billy North will play RF and bat 9th against RHP in place of the injured
    Pat Kelly. Jim Sundberg will move up to 8th in the lineup.

Lineup vs RHP

2B Joe Morgan
    CF Lee Mazzilli
    DH Gene Tenace
    1B Dan Driessen
    3B Richie Hebner
    LF Gene Richards
    SS Toby Harrah
    C Jim Sundberg
    RF Billy North
    PH vs RHP: Willie Stargell, Darrell Porter
    PH vs LHP: Ray Knight, Willie Stargell
    "A ballplayer has to just go out and be mean. You can't play half-heartedly. If you do, there's someone right over your shoulder that'll take your job away. If you don't do your job, what they're paying you for, why should they pay you? You just can't put in eight hours, that's what a lot of people don't realize about athletes. Very few people realize the pressure." Dave Kingman

Well that's a sucky way to start the season. I guess I didn't get blown out in the series and I can take away some hope in that.
    Dan
    CKL - Maloy Boys
    P2PKL - Detroit Tigers

Quote Originally Posted by scubadan View Post
    Well that's a sucky way to start the season. I guess I didn't get blown out in the series and I can take away some hope in that.

Welcome to PAP Dan.
    Baseball statistics are like a girl in a bikini. They show a lot, but not everything. ~Toby Harrah

Quote Originally Posted by rmadachik View Post
    Welcome to PAP Dan.
    Yea, real nice welcome! That's okay, paybacks at our park.
    Dan
    CKL - Maloy Boys
    P2PKL - Detroit Tigers

The Skipjacks will sign 2B/3B Barry Evans to a 2 yr minimum deal.

--The Corsairs sign IF Dave Chalk to a 1 yr/250K deal

Mark, please but Willis on the DL, activate Verhoeven and put him in Willis's roles (3rd long man and mop up). Thanks!
    You see, you spend a good deal of your life gripping a baseball and in the end it turns out that it was the other way around all the time. J. Bouton

The Lumberjaxx sign Jim Anderson to a one year, 250K contract.

--The Thunder remain undefeated after 2 series and the Boys rude welcome to the CKL continues.

--I'm going to try downing league file here. If anyone has a problem downloading let me know and I'll e-mail you a copy.

Quote Originally Posted by leecemark View Post
    --The Thunder remain undefeated after 2 series and the Boys rude welcome to the CKL continues.
    Ouch, no wonder my team name wasn't mentioned in any of those preseason sims you guys were talking about.
    Dan
    CKL - Maloy Boys
    P2PKL - Detroit Tigers

Ouch, no wonder my team name wasn't mentioned in any of those preseason sims you guys were talking about.
    But then again, looking at the league file, I'm 0-6 and only 2 GB. It could be a lot worse.
    Dan
    CKL - Maloy Boys
    P2PKL - Detroit Tigers

But then again, looking at the league file, I'm 0-6 and only 2 GB. It could be a lot worse.
    It can't get any worse ! You won't go 0 - 168. Just start prepping your draft sheet for 1981
    There are 10 kinds of people. Those who get binary and those who don't.

--Congrats to the Malloy Boys who get their first CKL wins - and pull within a game of first in the slow starting Chadwick in the process. The Thunder take their first loss, while the Legends sweep the Gamblers to pull within a game fo the lead. The Gold Sox run their winning streak to 5 to claim a share of the Johnson lead.

The Skipjacks will sign Lee May to a 3 yr minimum deal.

Quote Originally Posted by leecemark View Post
    --Congrats to the Malloy Boys who get their first CKL wins - and pull within a game of first in the slow starting Chadwick in the process. The Thunder take their first loss, while the Legends sweep the Gamblers to pull within a game fo the lead. The Gold Sox run their winning streak to 5 to claim a share of the Johnson lead.
    Career Pitching Leaders ???
    There are 10 kinds of people. Those who get binary and those who don't.

--The Thunder sweep to run their record to 11-1, but the Skipjacks run their winning streak to 5 games to stay right on their heels. The Maloy Boys have battled back from their 0-6 start to claim a share of the Chadwick lead. Of course, the Chadwick isn't exactly covering itself in glory in the early going.

--a dozen games in

Chicago - The town that the World Series forgot
    vs RH
    CF Murphy
    1B Hargrove
    DH Smith
    LF Oglivie
    3B Cey
    C Hassey
    RF Roberts

SS Smalley
    2B Randolph

vs LH
    2B Randolph
    DH Lowenstein
    3B Cey
    LH Oglivie
    C Johnson
    1B Hargrove
    RF Roberts

SS Smalley
    CF Murphy
    "I will calmly wait for my induction to the Baseball Hall of Fame."
    - Sammy Sosa

"Get a comfy chair, Sammy, cause its gonna be a long wait."
    - Craig Ashley (AKA Windy City Fan)

Of course, the Chadwick isn't exactly covering itself in glory in the early going.
    They're covering themselves with something, but it sure ain't glory!!

Well, is sure looks like this is going to be a tough season for the Jaxx pitching staff. Four series in and I've already lost two pitchers to the DL. Mark, I'll send an updated MP moving Reuss to the DL and filling his slot before you run any games tonight.
    Last edited by catcher24; 03-13-2012 at 08:41 AM.

Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast