Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: 1980 Season Thread

--The Beavers slam the door on the Hard Cider winning streak. Back to back sweeps of the divison rival Jaxx and Cider put Portland up 9 in the Cartwright with one series to go to the All Star break.
    Attached Files Attached Files

--New league file for DMB owners

The Legends recent losing streak has made us sellers, since we are now eight games out of the WC (although we would be in first place in the lackluster Carter Division). Therefore, the following players are available. I will be happy to bundle some of them in one deal as well. Most can be had for a low future pick or a similar type player. If interested, PM me.

Miguel Dilone: 120 OPS+, plays all three OF slots. He is presently at 73% usage and will be shut down in case anyone has interest. 7.25M, one year contract.
    Joe Ferguson: 126 OPS+, plays catcher (av) and RF (pr). He is presently at 66% usage and will also be shut down. 1.75M, one year contract.
    John Tamargo: 106 OPS+, catcher (fr). Only has 58 PAs so has not been used yet. Would make a nice September callup if you're short PAs behind the plate. 250K, one year contract.
    Lamar Johnson: 102 OPS+, first base (vg). Only at 38% usage so could play everyday. 4M, one year contract.
    Harry Spilman: 109 OPS+, 1b,3b,LF. 114 PAs, has not been used at all. 250K, one year contract.
    Rick Langford: 116 ERA+/1.17 WHIP. He is at 34% usage; with 290 IP this year, he can go every fourth day for the rest of the season if you want. He also has 195.1 IP next year (remember, short season in 81 so our usage percent is going up for the year) along with another 116 ERA+ and a 1.27 WHIP. 1.5M, signed through next season.
    Eddie Solomon: 137 ERA+/1.33 WHIP. Is at 59% usage. 9M, one year contract.
    Kim Seaman: 110 ERA+/1.25 WHIP. Has not been used; 23.2 IP. 250K, one year contract.
    You see, you spend a good deal of your life gripping a baseball and in the end it turns out that it was the other way around all the time. J. Bouton

--Lew, I'll contact you about Langford. Anyone else who is looking to move a quality starting pitcher the Corsairs could definately stand to upgrade their rotation. Dead last in ERA was certainly not what was I was expecting coming into the season . The Knights are also interested in pitching, but probably couldn't offer much unless the pitcher will also help next year.

--Larry Gura's well deserved pitcher of the week honors from the last sim solidifed his spot at the top of my All Star SP ballot. One more series tonight and then no games til Monday. I'll post the expanded leaderboards in the All Star balloting thread tonight and hopefully we'll see some more votes come in. I'll get one last league file up for DMB owners as well.

Current OPS+ Leaders

1 George Brett JW 201
    2 Cecil Cooper LM 168
    3 Fred Lynn ECC 159
    4 Mike Schmidt LVG 157
    5 Ben Oglivie WCF 156
    6 Al Oliver LVG 153
    7 Willie Randolph WCF 145
    8 Reggie Jackson EB 144
    9 Jack Clark WCF 140
    9 Buddy Bell MB 140
    11 Keith Hernandez ECC 139
    12 Bob Horner LVG 137
    12 Cesar Cedeno EB 137
    14 Dwayne Murphy MAC 136
    15 Ted Simmons PB 134
    16 Rod Carew JW 133
    17 Terry Puhl LEW 132
    18 Dale Murphy MAC 131
    18 Robin Yount WCT 131
    20 Al Woods MAC 130
    Baseball statistics are like a girl in a bikini. They show a lot, but not everything. ~Toby Harrah

Quote Originally Posted by leecemark View Post
    --Lew, I'll contact you about Langford. Anyone else who is looking to move a quality starting pitcher the Corsairs could definately stand to upgrade their rotation. Dead last in ERA was certainly not what was I was expecting coming into the season . The Knights are also interested in pitching, but probably couldn't offer much unless the pitcher will also help next year.
    Langford DOES help next year. I believe he's the league leader in IP, with a 116 ERA+ and below average WHIP.
    You see, you spend a good deal of your life gripping a baseball and in the end it turns out that it was the other way around all the time. J. Bouton

Quote Originally Posted by leecemark View Post
    --Larry Gura's well deserved pitcher of the week honors from the last sim solidifed his spot at the top of my All Star SP ballot. One more series tonight and then no games til Monday. I'll post the expanded leaderboards in the All Star balloting thread tonight and hopefully we'll see some more votes come in. I'll get one last league file up for DMB owners as well.
    He was at the top of mine as well. That was a pretty easy ballot to pick the starters EXCEPT for the starting pitchers - there were a lot of deserving ones, some of whom I had to leave off my ballot.

When Mark sends out the interim DB, I'll update the stats but not the highlights, since it's only one three game series.

Chicago - The town that the World Series forgot
    vs RH
    CF Murphy
    2B Randolph
    1B Hargrove

LF Oglivie
    RF Smith
    DH Grubb
    3B Cey
    C Johnson
    SS Harrelson

Also, call up Tiant in place of Moskau. RESET rotation to ...
    Tiant
    Boggs
    Niekro
    Haas
    Barker (strict)
    "I will calmly wait for my induction to the Baseball Hall of Fame."
    - Sammy Sosa

"Get a comfy chair, Sammy, cause its gonna be a long wait."
    - Craig Ashley (AKA Windy City Fan)

--The Knights sweep the Angels, with Steve Rogers tossing a shutout for his 15th win, and gain a little breathing room in the Johnson. The Jaxx sweep the Beavers to keep the division race within reach as well as pulling away a little in the WC race. The Thunder and Skipjacks both sweep their series to maintain the best 2 records in the CKL. The Corsairs also step away from the slumping Gamblers.
    --We're into the All Star break. Please don't forget to cast your ballot. There are 4 days off in CKL time so you've got an opportunity to reshuffle your rotation or make any other moves you might wish to make. There are 3 days off in real time, which you might wish to use in trade negoticians - the trade deadline will arrive just a few days after we resume play.
    --Also attached is a fresh league file for DMB owners and a usage report.

Blog Entries
    Shuffle the bullpen a bit:

SS: Rhoden
    LR: Rhoden, Sosa, Barlow
    MU: Rhoden, Barlow, Sosa
    RHSU: Castro, Sosa, Castillo
    LHSU: Castro, Castillo, Sosa
    RHCL: Sambito
    LHCL: Sambito

A number of changes for the second half to ease usages. Please send down Ramon Aviles, Wally Backman and Mitchell Page. Please bring up Kiko Garcia, Junior Kennedy and Jerry Turner:

Lineup vs. RHP

1) 1B - Rod Carew* (Paciorek)
    2) RF - Jorge Orta* (Ayala)
    3) 3B - George Brett* (Lacy 10%)
    4) CF - Chet Lemon (Lacy)
    5) DH - Jerry Turner* (Kennedy)
    6) LF - Tom Paciorek (Lacy 20%)
    7) 2B - Phil Garner (Garcia 4%)
    8) C - Rick Dempsey (Nahorodny 30%)
    9) SS - Tom Brookens (Garcia 4%)

PH vR - comp control
    PH vL - Lee Lacy

Lineup vs. LHP

1) 1B - Rod Carew* (Paciorek 20%)
    2) RF - Jorge Orta* (Ayala 50%)
    3) 3B - Leon Lacy (Brett* 50%)
    4) CF - Chet Lemon (Lacy 50%)
    5) SS - Tom Brookens (Garcia)
    6) LF - Benny Ayala (Paciorek 50%)
    7) DH - Junior Kennedy (Turner*)
    8) C - Rick Dempsey (Nahorodny 30%)
    9) 2B - Phil Garner (Garcia)

PH vR - George Brett, Jorge Orta
    PH vL - comp control

Pitching - Skip
    SP1 - Tommy John*
    SP2 - David Palmer
    SP3 - Jim Bibby
    SP4 - Ken Forsch
    SP5 - Paul Splittorff*

Spot starter: Fernando Arroyo
    Mop up: Fernando Arroyo, John Urrea
    Long man: John Urrea, Fernando Arroyo
    LH set up: Ed Glynn*, Gary Lucas*
    RH set up: Kent Tekulve
    LH closer: Gary Lucas*
    RH closer: Ron Davis

I have updated the stats through last night's games, but as mentioned I won't do any highlights until after the next series, which will make six games or one sim week.

The Iron will sign Rick Sofield to a 1-Yr 250K deal.

No trades yet for Langford, Solomon, Dilone or Ferguson. So, I'm just putting it out this way:

First owner who offers a second round future pick (any year 1983 to 1985) can take Langford and any one of the other three. A third rounder will take two of Ferguson, Dilone, Solomon. A fourth takes any one. I'm also open to offers, just PM me. The Legends also have seven mil left in cap space PLUS the salary of any departing player and will take on salary if needed, but I don't want to take on any contract beyond this year.

Lew, I meant to get you an offer on Langford, but I've been crazy busy this week. Meetings at church 2 nights and Little League the other 3. What are the contract numbers for Langford and the potential package guys for that 2nd rounder?

TRADE: Rick Langford and Joe Ferguson for the Thunder 1985 2nd round pick!

We're hoping a flyball pitcher like Langford for will benefit from a change in scenery to the more flyball friendly Olympic Stadium and Ferguson gives us some depth at catcher.
    - Sammy Sosa

Quote Originally Posted by Windy City Fan View Post
    TRADE: Rick Langford and Joe Ferguson for the Thunder 1985 2nd round pick!

We're hoping a flyball pitcher like Langford for will benefit from a change in scenery to the more flyball friendly Olympic Stadium and Ferguson gives us some depth at catcher.
    The Legends confirm this trade. Rick Langford was unfortunately never able to achieve the success that the Legends hoped he would, and had been used mostly in relief for his first four seasons. With next year's rotation shaping up to be Jack Morris (124 ERA+/1.17 WHIP), Burt Hooton (148/1.10); Bob Knepper (151/1.06); and Fernando Valenzuela (135/1.05) Langford figured to be a fifth starter at best and probably would pitch in relief instead, so management felt it was better to roll the dice on a draft pick that could help down the road. Ferguson simply was never able to find his bat at Shea. We wish them both well with their new team.

That still leaves the Legends with the following players that we are willing to trade. All are on one year deals, so the contract ends after this season. We are looking for future picks and will certainly consider combining two or more of these players. If interested in any of them PM me. Always willing to negotiate as well.

John Tamargo - backup catcher. Only good as a late season callup or injury replacement, with 58 PAs. 250K, 106 OPS+.
    Lamar Johnson - frist base. 102 OPS+, 4M. Plenty of playing time left.
    Miguel Dilone - OF. 120 OPS+, 7.25M. Has not played anywhere near up to his projected ability. Playing time is at about 75%.
    Eddie Solomon - P. 137 ERA+/1.33 WHIP. 9M.

Send Hassey to the minors and lets have Ferguson take over his duties. See if a change of scenery sparks something in him. Langford will join the major league roster as well and we'll send Boggs down to the minors.

RESET rotation:
    Niekro
    Tiant
    Langford
    Eckersley
    Haas

Cl vs RH: Beckwith, Holland
    CL vs LH: Holland, Beckwith
    Setup vs RH: Lopez, Beckwith
    Setup vs LH: Lavelle, Holland
    Middle: Lopez, Lavelle
    Long: Barker, Lopez, Lavelle
    Mop: Lavelle, Barker
    Spot: Barker
    - Sammy Sosa

--The Knights pick up where they left off before the break, running thier winning streak to 6 with a sweep of the Angels. The Jaxx take 2 of 3 from the Beavers to keep things close int he Cartwright.

--New league file for DMB owners

--The Knights run their winning streak to 9, building a league best 6 game division lead in the process. Next series takes us into August so trade deadline is midnight EST tommorrow.

Please place Ken Forsch on the 15 day DL and call up Dave Rozema:

Pitching - Skip
    SP1 - Tommy John*
    SP2 - David Palmer
    SP3 - Jim Bibby
    SP4 - Dave Rozema
    SP5 - Paul Splittorff*

vs RH
    CF Murphy
    2B Randolph