Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rooting for José Reyes

I guess what it really comes down to is being more or less of a baseball fan or a Mets fan. If your whole baseball world revolves around the Mets then rooting for anyone outside that would be a no-no.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by theAmazingMet View Post
    This I will never get used to.
    Its like seeing Straw in a Dodgers uniform, or Seaver in a Reds, or Dwight in a Yankees. Just dont seem right, almost surreal to see a player who spent so much time in an organization in another uniform...
    Ditto.

Quote Originally Posted by Strawman
    Still the second worst major personnel decision by management in team history.
    Agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulypal View Post
    I guess what it really comes down to is being more or less of a baseball fan or a Mets fan. If your whole baseball world revolves around the Mets then rooting for anyone outside that would be a no-no.
    Can't disagree with that.
    Put it in the books.

one thing that I really don't get is how many fans blame/hate Reyes for walking away (when management seemed pretty indifferent to re-signing him, Fred made those stupid comments earlier in the season, and we didn't look to be very competitive for awhile even if Reyes re-signed)...

Reyes has been, and is my favorite current player in the Major Leagues...and regardless of what team he is on, I plan to root for him to do well...

Do I wish that he had been a Met for his career? yes...but in reality, how many key Mets players started and ended their careers with the Mets (and also never left)?

I blame the mess that Fred/Katz/Omar/Phillips made for this dilemma, much more than I fault a player for this...For a long time, the Mets foolishly threw away money on old, past their prime veterans while ignoring to stock their farm system...and now when it's time for Reyes and Wright to be free agents, it's come back to finally haunt them...

I would have preferred for Reyes to sign with the Nats or the Red Sox, but it is what it is...

The kicker is, the way that the Marlins structured the contract, Reyes takes a paycut for the next 2 seasons...so theoretically, the Mets could have afforded the same contract that the Marlins signed him to...

I also hope that Reyes is healthy enough to average 150+ games over his contract, and hopefully show that a lot of his supposedly chronic health problems were due to the Mets medical/training incompetence...
    Last edited by vtmet; 03-17-2012 at 06:08 PM.

"Hitting is timing. Pitching is upsetting timing." - Warren Spahn

Mets up 1 on the Marlins in the bottom of the 9th with Reyes up, a man on second and third, and 2 outs.........seems like a lot of you would prefer to see Reyes smack a ball down the RF corner for a hit then have him whiff and see the Mets win....

I personally root for the Mets to win. I also root for Reyes to fail over the life of his contract because there very well could be a direct correlation between him succeeding for another team in our division and our standings in the division. Seems pretty simple to me.....

Quote Originally Posted by Ralf View Post
    Mets up 1 on the Marlins in the bottom of the 9th with Reyes up, a man on second and third, and 2 outs.........seems like a lot of you would prefer to see Reyes smack a ball down the RF corner for a hit then have him whiff and see the Mets win....

I personally root for the Mets to win. I also root for Reyes to fail over the life of his contract because there very well could be a direct correlation between him succeeding for another team in our division and our standings in the division. Seems pretty simple to me.....
    I rather see the Mets win, but that doesn't mean Reyes has to fail for the rest of his career. Very sorry you can't differentiate. Hopefully one day you can

Reyes contract will be almost over when his success will take away from our divisional chances.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by vtmet View Post
    I blame the mess that Fred/Katz/Omar/Phillips made for this dilemma, much more than I fault a player for this...For a long time, the Mets foolishly threw away money on old, past their prime veterans while ignoring to stock their farm system...and now when it's time for Reyes and Wright to be free agents, it's come back to finally haunt them...

The kicker is, the way that the Marlins structured the contract, Reyes takes a paycut for the next 2 seasons...so theoretically, the Mets could have afforded the same contract that the Marlins signed him to...
    Good points.

I also hope that Reyes is healthy enough to average 150+ games over his contract, and hopefully show that a lot of his supposedly chronic health problems were due to the Mets medical/training incompetence...
    Ya know, in a germane way, this makes sense. More than several of us have been for years complaining that the Mets' medical/training staff is incompetent. Reyes staying healthy would further prove that point. We can only hope it doesn't affect the Mets much. However...

Reyes contract will be almost over when his success will take away from our divisional chances.
    ...I think there's quite a bit of truth (prophecy?) to that remark.
    Put it in the books.

I rather see the Mets win, but that doesn't mean Reyes has to fail for the rest of his career. Very sorry you can't differentiate. Hopefully one day you can

My thoughts exactly. I don't recall any of us hoping Reyes beats the Mets, just that we wish him luck. I love the way he plays, and could never root against him, but vs the mets I won't be rooting for him
    unknown brooklyn cabbie " how are the brooks doin"
    unknown fan "good they got three men on base"
    unknown brooklyn cabbie "which one?"

Ok, this is a classy move by the Mets and gets my hearty approval:

Mets Plan A Video Tribute For Reyes’ Return To Citi
    http://metsmerizedonline.com/2012/04...n-to-citi.html

According to a team source, the Mets will acknowledge Reyes’ nine years in New York with a video tribute on April 24, before the shortstop’s Citi Field unveiling as a Miami Marlin. That game opens a three-game series.

Reyes, who won the first batting title in club history last season, agreed in December with the Marlins on a six-year, $106 million contract.

Good move if you ask me. Jose undoubtedly earned this day in the sun. It’s a nice gesture by the Mets, but I’m curious to see what kind of reception he’ll get from the fans in attendance that day.
    I hated the non-offer to one great homegrown players in team history and our finest SS ever, but this is nice gesture. Fans will obviously applaud.
    Cleon Jones catches a deep fly ball in F. Scott Fitzgerald's Valley of the Ashes, and a second-grader smiles in front of the black and white television.

Quote Originally Posted by Strawman View Post
    Ok, this is a classy move by the Mets and gets my hearty approval:

Mets Plan A Video Tribute For Reyes’ Return To Citi
    http://metsmerizedonline.com/2012/04...n-to-citi.html

I hated the non-offer to one great homegrown players in team history and our finest SS ever, but this is nice gesture. Fans will obviously applaud.
    Considering how Jose left - I like it. Its not like they were in a close bidding war and lost. Although Jose may have been going anyway - we will never know - they never offered him anything.

I do like the video tribute, but its a small market move. Big market teams try to sign their players and they choose to go elsewhere. Small market teams pat you on the ass on the way out the door, and give you a video tribute.
    Last edited by Paulypal; 04-17-2012 at 07:30 AM.

Frankly, I don't really think too much about Reyes. He is a Marlin, a rival of the Mets, so I will have a hard time rooting for him at the expense of the Mets. I suppose if the Marlin get to the post season, I would be happy to see Jose win, but right now I am pretty much indifferent to him. I do not blame him for taking the best deal. The arguments to the contrary are, IMHO, silly. But not blaming him for taking the best deal doesn't mean that I am rooting for him. I might feel differently if he was part of a championship team. This might not be rational, but that is how I see things at the moment.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by EasilyFound View Post
    Frankly, I don't really think too much about Reyes. He is a Marlin, a rival of the Mets, so I will have a hard time rooting for him at the expense of the Mets. I suppose if the Marlin get to the post season, I would be happy to see Jose win, but right now I am pretty much indifferent to him. I do not blame him for taking the best deal. The arguments to the contrary are, IMHO, silly. But not blaming him for taking the best deal doesn't mean that I am rooting for him. I might feel differently if he was part of a championship team. This might not be rational, but that is how I see things at the moment.
    I think this is pretty well said. I'll be there next Tuesday, and, applauding him when they announce his name during the lineups is probably as far as I'll go when it comes to cheering for him. A warm welcome home, if you will. Beyond that, though, I doubt I'll be rooting for him to do well against his former team, and I'll probably cheer each time he makes an out (or an error).
    Put it in the books.

Quote Originally Posted by vtmet View Post
    This logic completely ignores the last 4 years of the contract, which accounts for $86 of the $106 mil guaranteed. And 100% of the reason why the Mets didn't match it.

I always liked Reyes, and enjoy the excitement he can bring to a game. I wish him well, but not when he's playing my team.

Quote Originally Posted by foulpole View Post
    This logic completely ignores the last 4 years of the contract, which accounts for $86 of the $106 mil guaranteed. And 100% of the reason why the Mets didn't match it.

I always liked Reyes, and enjoy the excitement he can bring to a game. I wish him well, but not when he's playing my team.
    Thank you...

I've made some "improvements" to my Reyes jersey for Tuesday night.....

Clearly David Wright still roots for his friend - very classy response from the third-sacker (in contrast to some "Mets fans" I've seen elsewhere - not here), via Metsblog:

Prior to today’s doubleheader, David Wright spoke with reporters about Jose Reyes‘ return to Citi Field tomorrow night as a Miami Marlin and said the following, per SNY’s Matt Dunn:

- Will be odd seeing him in a different uniform and dugout, but excited to see him because he is one of the best players in the game.
    - Thinks Reyes knows better than to drop a bunt on him and shouldn’t unless Reyes wants to go hitless.
    - It stung when Reyes left the organization he was a part of for so long, but Wright believes Reyes should get a positive response for what he meant to the organization.
    - Has no opinion about the tribute the team is giving Reyes prior to tomorrow’s game, but thinks any positivity given to one of the most dynamic players in the league during his time with the Mets is well deserved.
    - Says they still talk from time to time and kept in touch during the winter when Reyes informed him of his decision. Said it was very classy of how Reyes told him of his decision, saying Reyes told him how much it meant to him playing together for so long.
    - Due to the Marlins aggressive pursuit, he thought the writing was on the wall when he got the call from Reyes on his choice to go to Miami. He believes Reyes is happy there and will have some monster seasons.
    - Still considers Reyes one of his closest friends in baseball, but will obviously go out there and try to beat him as badly as possible and hope he doesn’t get a hit against us.
    But for the short-sighted baseball-challenged Wilpon-Alderson regime, this could have been a homegrown career-long Mets partnership for the record books:

reyes-wright-11911.jpg
    Cleon Jones catches a deep fly ball in F. Scott Fitzgerald's Valley of the Ashes, and a second-grader smiles in front of the black and white television.

Well, case closed. The boo's win it by a huuuuge margin.

Mets fans get it. Reyes' greed and his handlers arrogance created the atmosphere for his own departure.

To put this puppy to rest.... Part of me felt bad for Jose tonight (though I boo'd his arse everytime ). I bet he thought he would get a hero's welcome tonight and you could see from the post game interview he was trying to cover up his sadness about what transpired. People are rightfully pissed at him for his total lack of loyalty. A more savvy player would have drove the negotiations with the front office instead of letting his handlers manipulate him. They had to save face after his last contract and totally drove him to the highest bidder without probably alerting him to the real consequences of leaving NY for baseball purgatory. His own greed also got in the way and what we have now is Darryl 2.0. I have no doubt that he'll regret the decision for the rest of his life, just like Darryl did/does to this day.

Blog Entries
    Well, case closed. The boo's win it by a huuuuge margin.

Mets fans get it. Reyes' greed and his handlers arrogance created the atmosphere for his own departure.
    I must admit, you were right. During the introductions, I noticed it was about half and half. Once the game started, however, the jeers clearly outweighed the cheers, especially the deeper into the game it went. At no time did he receive a warm reception.

I've made some "improvements" to my Reyes jersey for Tuesday night.....
    Tell me, were you were the guy who covered up Reyes' name on his jersey with the words "SELL OUT"?
    Put it in the books.

I was a bit surprised by the booing, to be honest. I wonder if Jose was more disappointed in the number of empty seats. I guess he isn't as much of a draw as some might have thought.

Quote Originally Posted by EasilyFound View Post
    I was a bit surprised by the booing, to be honest. I wonder if Jose was more disappointed in the number of empty seats. I guess he isn't as much of a draw as some might have thought.
    The ignorance of some "fans" is beyond comprehension. Its like the stands are filled with 5 year olds that couldnt get their way. I didnt want to sign Jose to a huge contract, but there was no way of signing him on the cheap. With that said he wasnt even made an offer. So what is he suppose to do .....retire because the Mets didnt sign him?

Ignorance is running rampant.....as usual. Glad to see nothing has changed.
    Last edited by Paulypal; 04-25-2012 at 05:22 AM.

No I was there - media reports are sadly inaccurate.

During warmups, the Jose chant reverberated throughout the LF side of the park, where Reyes was warming up. A huge crowd of Mets fans wearing Reyes jerseys gathered about 12-deep in the left-side field boxes, cheering Jose, holding signs, taking pictures, and doing the chant. He acknowledged them many times, and came over and signed autographs.

After the video, the cheers outweighed the boos about 5-1 and I'd say 75% of those in attendance stood as they cheered. Milla, it was a indeed "warm reception" except for a few who'd gotten there early and stocked up on the suds.

For the first AB, it was about 60-40 cheers over boos with another standing O from more than half in attendance.

Later ABs had more boos than cheers...a sound that tends to read more easily than the quieter, respectful applause emanating from those who 1. are real Mets fans not frat boys and no-gooders showing up to get drunk and curse loudly and 2. those who understand baseball (to Pauly's point).

Ignorance didn't run rampant - it was confined to some intoxicated dead-enders who got louder and more profane (with children nearby) as the game went on, at least in my section. There were also mock-Latino accent taunts that were truly ugly. I reported them to security and they were asked to either quiet down or leave. They shut their yaps and left after last call.

That's your on-the-scene report, friends. Reyes is a great all-time Met who will remain a great all-time Met.

Highly recommend this great read for some serious perspective on this:
    http://www.faithandfearinflushing.co...-neighborhood/

Quote Originally Posted by Strawman View Post
    No I was there - media reports are sadly inaccurate.

During warmups, the Jose chant reverberated throughout the LF side of the park, where Reyes was warming up. A huge crowd of Mets fans wearing Reyes jerseys gathered about 12-deep in the left-side field boxes, cheering Jose, holding signs, taking pictures, and doing the chant. He acknowledged them many times, and came over and signed autographs.

After the video, the cheers outweighed the boos about 5-1 and I'd say 75% of those in attendance stood as they cheered. Milla, it was a indeed "warm reception" except for a few who'd gotten there early and stocked up on the suds.

For the first AB, it was about 60-40 cheers over boos with another standing O from more than half in attendance.

Later ABs had more boos than cheers...a sound that tends to read more easily than the quieter, respectful applause emanating from those who 1. are real Mets fans not frat boys and no-gooders showing up to get drunk and curse loudly and 2. those who understand baseball (to Pauly's point).

Ignorance didn't run rampant - it was confined to some intoxicated dead-enders who got louder and more profane (with children nearby) as the game went on, at least in my section. There were also mock-Latino accent taunts that were truly ugly. I reported them to security and they were asked to either quiet down or leave. They shut their yaps and left after last call.

That's your on-the-scene report, friends. Reyes is a great all-time Met who will remain a great all-time Met.

Highly recommend this great read for some serious perspective on this:
    http://www.faithandfearinflushing.co...-neighborhood/
    We were clearly sitting in a different part of the stadium last night. I wasn't at warm-ups so can't speak to that. But from where I was, boos outweighed cheers by a large margin the whole night

Nope, the boos simply didn't out-weigh the cheers for either the video or the first AB. Here's video to prove it.

http://t.co/bvUwTZjH

You'll see more people standing and cheering around the stadium. That was the fact. Late in game - yeah, the boos had it. After the first AB, I didn't stand and cheer either - hell, it's a baseball game not a popularity contest. Only the drunks and hardcore fans of Dancing With the Stars were booing by then.

Blog Entries
    Strawman, I don't know what ballpark you were at last night, but at Citi Field, from the moment that brief video tribute began until the end of the game, there was no warm welcome for Reyes that I could hear. I mean, it was difficult to hear the cheering due to the sheer abundance of boos.

And yeah, the place was relatively empty. Definitely nowhere near the crowd that was expected.
    Put it in the books.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast