Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Rooting for Josť Reyes

Oy, from Kevin Kernan in the Post:

JUPITER, Fla. — Jose Reyes was supposed to be the injured one. Four hours before Reyes played against the Mets as a Marlin for the first time yesterday, the Miami shortstop was asking for a medical update on his friend David Wright.

“How did David get hurt?’’ Reyes asked. After he got the details, the Miami shortstop was told that his Mets replacement Ruben Tejada was out with a slight groin pull. Reyes shook his head and said, “No way.’’
    Some very kind words going both ways during yesterday's Reyes debut vs. Mets in Florida:

“He meant so much to so many people in the clubhouse,” said Dickey. “So it’s not like someone that you’re just an acquaintance with going on to another team. He’d been a Met his entire career and made a big difference in the lives of so many people in this clubhouse. So it’s different.”

Dickey spoke of Reyes’ exuberant spirit, his personality. Manager Terry Collins said that Reyes came over to him and asked about David Wright’s injury.

“In a very professional way, he came up to me before the game. He wanted to know how everything was going,” Collins said. “You can tell he’s still got feelings for his old teammates here. Obviously, he and David were together a long time, so I thought it was very cool that he asked.”
    If there's baseball fan pain, this is it:

10695725-large.jpg
    Cleon Jones catches a deep fly ball in F. Scott Fitzgerald's Valley of the Ashes, and a second-grader smiles in front of the black and white television.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Strawman View Post
    Oy, from Kevin Kernan in the Post:

Some very kind words going both ways during yesterday's Reyes debut vs. Mets in Florida:

If there's baseball fan pain, this is it:

10695725-large.jpg
    See, this is just one or two of the sad parts. It's obvious that Reyes is already a little homesick, and his former teammates definitely miss his presence.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralf
    We know beyond a reasonable doubt (reported many times by Adam Rubin) that Alderson had productive conversations with Reyes's reps on the Friday before he signed with the Marlins. The conversations consisted of easily attainable parameters for Reyes to make his precious $100m as long as he stayed healthy.

Sure, the Wilpons current financial situation played a role in the less than productive talks between the two sides but to blatantly ignore reported information is weak. I'm not saying Reyes was wrong for choosing money over loyalty and accountability - 9 out of 10 guys do the same thing - but I'm also not going to sit here and pretend that he was pushed out. There was a genuine opportunity for him to stay with the franchise for the next 5 or 6 years and make a lot of money in the process but he chose to leave on his own volition.
    I think this is why I'm still hung up on the valuable loss of one of the most important Mets to ever wear the uniform.
    "And their chances of getting back into this ballgame are growing dimmer by the batter."

Put it in the books.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralf View Post
    To borrow a phrase from Picard, the 'willful blindness' of some fans is amazing to me. I can't stand the Wilpons as owners but that doesn't mean I'm going to ignore basic known and REPORTED information about the Reyes saga just to suit my argument. We know for a fact Alderson approached Reyes' agents in July and he was shot down. We know beyond a reasonable doubt (reported many times by Adam Rubin) that Alderson had productive conversations with Reyes's reps on the Friday before he signed with the Marlins. The conversations consisted of easily attainable parameters for Reyes to make his precious $100m as long as he stayed healthy. We know these things and yet so many of you choose to continue to ignore them to support your silly meme against the Mets front office.

Sure, the Wilpons current financial situation played a role in the less than productive talks between the two sides but to blatantly ignore reported information is weak. I'm not saying Reyes was wrong for choosing money over loyalty and accountability - 9 out of 10 guys do the same thing - but I'm also not going to sit here and pretend that he was pushed out. There was a genuine opportunity for him to stay with the franchise for the next 5 or 6 years and make a lot of money in the process but he chose to leave on his own volition.
    This. This. A thousand times this.

I say sayonara to him and I hope he is a huuuuuuge bust in Miami ESPECIALLY because they are in our division.
    But not this.

I have nothing against Jose personally, and I don't hope he goes down or anything like that.

But I won't be rooting for him, either. To root for a player is to root for his team, and I won't root for anyone who isn't a Met (or a Yankee).
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.

This I will never get used to.
    Its like seeing Straw in a Dodgers uniform, or Seaver in a Reds, or Dwight in a Yankees. Just dont seem right, almost surreal to see a player who spent so much time in an organization in another uniform, especially this ugly one. I havent felt this disgusted after losing a FA since Messier in 97 went to Vancouver after the Rangers offered him well below market value, to the point of insulting. (sound familiar?)
    unknown brooklyn cabbie " how are the brooks doin"
    unknown fan "good they got three men on base"
    unknown brooklyn cabbie "which one?"

Quote Originally Posted by theAmazingMet View Post
    Dwight in a Yankees. Just dont seem right
    I had no problem with that one!
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.

I guess what it really comes down to is being more or less of a baseball fan or a Mets fan. If your whole baseball world revolves around the Mets then rooting for anyone outside that would be a no-no.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by theAmazingMet View Post
    This I will never get used to.
    Its like seeing Straw in a Dodgers uniform, or Seaver in a Reds, or Dwight in a Yankees. Just dont seem right, almost surreal to see a player who spent so much time in an organization in another uniform...
    Ditto.

Quote Originally Posted by Strawman
    Still the second worst major personnel decision by management in team history.
    Agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulypal View Post
    I guess what it really comes down to is being more or less of a baseball fan or a Mets fan. If your whole baseball world revolves around the Mets then rooting for anyone outside that would be a no-no.
    Can't disagree with that.
    "And their chances of getting back into this ballgame are growing dimmer by the batter."

Put it in the books.

one thing that I really don't get is how many fans blame/hate Reyes for walking away (when management seemed pretty indifferent to re-signing him, Fred made those stupid comments earlier in the season, and we didn't look to be very competitive for awhile even if Reyes re-signed)...

Reyes has been, and is my favorite current player in the Major Leagues...and regardless of what team he is on, I plan to root for him to do well...

Do I wish that he had been a Met for his career? yes...but in reality, how many key Mets players started and ended their careers with the Mets (and also never left)?

I blame the mess that Fred/Katz/Omar/Phillips made for this dilemma, much more than I fault a player for this...For a long time, the Mets foolishly threw away money on old, past their prime veterans while ignoring to stock their farm system...and now when it's time for Reyes and Wright to be free agents, it's come back to finally haunt them...

I would have preferred for Reyes to sign with the Nats or the Red Sox, but it is what it is...

The kicker is, the way that the Marlins structured the contract, Reyes takes a paycut for the next 2 seasons...so theoretically, the Mets could have afforded the same contract that the Marlins signed him to...

I also hope that Reyes is healthy enough to average 150+ games over his contract, and hopefully show that a lot of his supposedly chronic health problems were due to the Mets medical/training incompetence...
    Last edited by vtmet; 03-17-2012 at 06:08 PM.

The Mets have the best, smartest fans in baseball.

Mets up 1 on the Marlins in the bottom of the 9th with Reyes up, a man on second and third, and 2 outs.........seems like a lot of you would prefer to see Reyes smack a ball down the RF corner for a hit then have him whiff and see the Mets win....

I personally root for the Mets to win. I also root for Reyes to fail over the life of his contract because there very well could be a direct correlation between him succeeding for another team in our division and our standings in the division. Seems pretty simple to me.....

Quote Originally Posted by Ralf View Post
    Mets up 1 on the Marlins in the bottom of the 9th with Reyes up, a man on second and third, and 2 outs.........seems like a lot of you would prefer to see Reyes smack a ball down the RF corner for a hit then have him whiff and see the Mets win....

I personally root for the Mets to win. I also root for Reyes to fail over the life of his contract because there very well could be a direct correlation between him succeeding for another team in our division and our standings in the division. Seems pretty simple to me.....
    I rather see the Mets win, but that doesn't mean Reyes has to fail for the rest of his career. Very sorry you can't differentiate. Hopefully one day you can

Reyes contract will be almost over when his success will take away from our divisional chances.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by vtmet View Post
    I blame the mess that Fred/Katz/Omar/Phillips made for this dilemma, much more than I fault a player for this...For a long time, the Mets foolishly threw away money on old, past their prime veterans while ignoring to stock their farm system...and now when it's time for Reyes and Wright to be free agents, it's come back to finally haunt them...

The kicker is, the way that the Marlins structured the contract, Reyes takes a paycut for the next 2 seasons...so theoretically, the Mets could have afforded the same contract that the Marlins signed him to...
    Good points.

I also hope that Reyes is healthy enough to average 150+ games over his contract, and hopefully show that a lot of his supposedly chronic health problems were due to the Mets medical/training incompetence...
    Ya know, in a germane way, this makes sense. More than several of us have been for years complaining that the Mets' medical/training staff is incompetent. Reyes staying healthy would further prove that point. We can only hope it doesn't affect the Mets much. However...

Reyes contract will be almost over when his success will take away from our divisional chances.
    ...I think there's quite a bit of truth (prophecy?) to that remark.

Put it in the books.

I rather see the Mets win, but that doesn't mean Reyes has to fail for the rest of his career. Very sorry you can't differentiate. Hopefully one day you can

My thoughts exactly. I don't recall any of us hoping Reyes beats the Mets, just that we wish him luck. I love the way he plays, and could never root against him, but vs the mets I won't be rooting for him
    unknown brooklyn cabbie " how are the brooks doin"
    unknown fan "good they got three men on base"
    unknown brooklyn cabbie "which one?"

Ok, this is a classy move by the Mets and gets my hearty approval:

Mets Plan A Video Tribute For Reyes’ Return To Citi
    http://metsmerizedonline.com/2012/04...n-to-citi.html

According to a team source, the Mets will acknowledge Reyes’ nine years in New York with a video tribute on April 24, before the shortstop’s Citi Field unveiling as a Miami Marlin. That game opens a three-game series.

Reyes, who won the first batting title in club history last season, agreed in December with the Marlins on a six-year, $106 million contract.

Good move if you ask me. Jose undoubtedly earned this day in the sun. It’s a nice gesture by the Mets, but I’m curious to see what kind of reception he’ll get from the fans in attendance that day.
    I hated the non-offer to one great homegrown players in team history and our finest SS ever, but this is nice gesture. Fans will obviously applaud.
    Cleon Jones catches a deep fly ball in F. Scott Fitzgerald's Valley of the Ashes, and a second-grader smiles in front of the black and white television.

Quote Originally Posted by Strawman View Post
    Ok, this is a classy move by the Mets and gets my hearty approval:

Mets Plan A Video Tribute For Reyes’ Return To Citi
    http://metsmerizedonline.com/2012/04...n-to-citi.html

I hated the non-offer to one great homegrown players in team history and our finest SS ever, but this is nice gesture. Fans will obviously applaud.
    Considering how Jose left - I like it. Its not like they were in a close bidding war and lost. Although Jose may have been going anyway - we will never know - they never offered him anything.

I do like the video tribute, but its a small market move. Big market teams try to sign their players and they choose to go elsewhere. Small market teams pat you on the ass on the way out the door, and give you a video tribute.
    Last edited by Paulypal; 04-17-2012 at 07:30 AM.

Frankly, I don't really think too much about Reyes. He is a Marlin, a rival of the Mets, so I will have a hard time rooting for him at the expense of the Mets. I suppose if the Marlin get to the post season, I would be happy to see Jose win, but right now I am pretty much indifferent to him. I do not blame him for taking the best deal. The arguments to the contrary are, IMHO, silly. But not blaming him for taking the best deal doesn't mean that I am rooting for him. I might feel differently if he was part of a championship team. This might not be rational, but that is how I see things at the moment.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by EasilyFound View Post
    Frankly, I don't really think too much about Reyes. He is a Marlin, a rival of the Mets, so I will have a hard time rooting for him at the expense of the Mets. I suppose if the Marlin get to the post season, I would be happy to see Jose win, but right now I am pretty much indifferent to him. I do not blame him for taking the best deal. The arguments to the contrary are, IMHO, silly. But not blaming him for taking the best deal doesn't mean that I am rooting for him. I might feel differently if he was part of a championship team. This might not be rational, but that is how I see things at the moment.
    I think this is pretty well said. I'll be there next Tuesday, and, applauding him when they announce his name during the lineups is probably as far as I'll go when it comes to cheering for him. A warm welcome home, if you will. Beyond that, though, I doubt I'll be rooting for him to do well against his former team, and I'll probably cheer each time he makes an out (or an error).

Put it in the books.

Quote Originally Posted by vtmet View Post
    This logic completely ignores the last 4 years of the contract, which accounts for $86 of the $106 mil guaranteed. And 100% of the reason why the Mets didn't match it.

I always liked Reyes, and enjoy the excitement he can bring to a game. I wish him well, but not when he's playing my team.

Quote Originally Posted by foulpole View Post
    This logic completely ignores the last 4 years of the contract, which accounts for $86 of the $106 mil guaranteed. And 100% of the reason why the Mets didn't match it.

I always liked Reyes, and enjoy the excitement he can bring to a game. I wish him well, but not when he's playing my team.
    Thank you...

I've made some "improvements" to my Reyes jersey for Tuesday night.....

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast