• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Paulypal
    $300MM of Dumpster Diving
    • Jul 2007

Originally posted by Ralf View Post
    Mets up 1 on the Marlins in the bottom of the 9th with Reyes up, a man on second and third, and 2 outs.........seems like a lot of you would prefer to see Reyes smack a ball down the RF corner for a hit then have him whiff and see the Mets win....

I personally root for the Mets to win. I also root for Reyes to fail over the life of his contract because there very well could be a direct correlation between him succeeding for another team in our division and our standings in the division. Seems pretty simple to me.....
    I rather see the Mets win, but that doesn't mean Reyes has to fail for the rest of his career. Very sorry you can't differentiate. Hopefully one day you can

Reyes contract will be almost over when his success will take away from our divisional chances.

Comment

• milladrive
      • Sep 2006

Originally posted by vtmet View Post
      I blame the mess that Fred/Katz/Omar/Phillips made for this dilemma, much more than I fault a player for this...For a long time, the Mets foolishly threw away money on old, past their prime veterans while ignoring to stock their farm system...and now when it's time for Reyes and Wright to be free agents, it's come back to finally haunt them...

The kicker is, the way that the Marlins structured the contract, Reyes takes a paycut for the next 2 seasons...so theoretically, the Mets could have afforded the same contract that the Marlins signed him to...
      Good points.

I also hope that Reyes is healthy enough to average 150+ games over his contract, and hopefully show that a lot of his supposedly chronic health problems were due to the Mets medical/training incompetence...
      Ya know, in a germane way, this makes sense. More than several of us have been for years complaining that the Mets' medical/training staff is incompetent. Reyes staying healthy would further prove that point. We can only hope it doesn't affect the Mets much. However...

Originally posted by Paulypal View Post
      Reyes contract will be almost over when his success will take away from our divisional chances.
      ...I think there's quite a bit of truth (prophecy?) to that remark.
      Put it in the books.

Comment

• theAmazingMet
        There IS a "we" in team
        • May 2005

Originally posted by Paulypal View Post
        I rather see the Mets win, but that doesn't mean Reyes has to fail for the rest of his career. Very sorry you can't differentiate. Hopefully one day you can

My thoughts exactly. I don't recall any of us hoping Reyes beats the Mets, just that we wish him luck. I love the way he plays, and could never root against him, but vs the mets I won't be rooting for him
        unknown brooklyn cabbie " how are the brooks doin"
        unknown fan "good they got three men on base"
        unknown brooklyn cabbie "which one?"

Comment

• Strawman
          • Mar 2009

Ok, this is a classy move by the Mets and gets my hearty approval:

Mets Plan A Video Tribute For Reyes’ Return To Citi

According to a team source, the Mets will acknowledge Reyes’ nine years in New York with a video tribute on April 24, before the shortstop’s Citi Field unveiling as a Miami Marlin. That game opens a three-game series.

Reyes, who won the first batting title in club history last season, agreed in December with the Marlins on a six-year, $106 million contract.

Good move if you ask me. Jose undoubtedly earned this day in the sun. It’s a nice gesture by the Mets, but I’m curious to see what kind of reception he’ll get from the fans in attendance that day.
          I hated the non-offer to one great homegrown players in team history and our finest SS ever, but this is nice gesture. Fans will obviously applaud.
          Cleon Jones catches a deep fly ball in F. Scott Fitzgerald's Valley of the Ashes, and a second-grader smiles in front of the black and white television.

Comment

• Paulypal
            $300MM of Dumpster Diving
            • Jul 2007

Originally posted by Strawman View Post
            Ok, this is a classy move by the Mets and gets my hearty approval:

Mets Plan A Video Tribute For Reyes’ Return To Citi

I hated the non-offer to one great homegrown players in team history and our finest SS ever, but this is nice gesture. Fans will obviously applaud.
            Considering how Jose left - I like it. Its not like they were in a close bidding war and lost. Although Jose may have been going anyway - we will never know - they never offered him anything.

I do like the video tribute, but its a small market move. Big market teams try to sign their players and they choose to go elsewhere. Small market teams pat you on the ass on the way out the door, and give you a video tribute.
            Last edited by Paulypal; 04-17-2012, 07:30 AM.

Comment

• EasilyFound
              • Jun 2008

Frankly, I don't really think too much about Reyes. He is a Marlin, a rival of the Mets, so I will have a hard time rooting for him at the expense of the Mets. I suppose if the Marlin get to the post season, I would be happy to see Jose win, but right now I am pretty much indifferent to him. I do not blame him for taking the best deal. The arguments to the contrary are, IMHO, silly. But not blaming him for taking the best deal doesn't mean that I am rooting for him. I might feel differently if he was part of a championship team. This might not be rational, but that is how I see things at the moment.

Comment

• milladrive
                • Sep 2006

Originally posted by EasilyFound View Post
                Frankly, I don't really think too much about Reyes. He is a Marlin, a rival of the Mets, so I will have a hard time rooting for him at the expense of the Mets. I suppose if the Marlin get to the post season, I would be happy to see Jose win, but right now I am pretty much indifferent to him. I do not blame him for taking the best deal. The arguments to the contrary are, IMHO, silly. But not blaming him for taking the best deal doesn't mean that I am rooting for him. I might feel differently if he was part of a championship team. This might not be rational, but that is how I see things at the moment.
                I think this is pretty well said. I'll be there next Tuesday, and, applauding him when they announce his name during the lineups is probably as far as I'll go when it comes to cheering for him. A warm welcome home, if you will. Beyond that, though, I doubt I'll be rooting for him to do well against his former team, and I'll probably cheer each time he makes an out (or an error).
                Put it in the books.

Comment

• foulpole
                  • Dec 2008

Originally posted by vtmet View Post
                  The kicker is, the way that the Marlins structured the contract, Reyes takes a paycut for the next 2 seasons...so theoretically, the Mets could have afforded the same contract that the Marlins signed him to...
                  This logic completely ignores the last 4 years of the contract, which accounts for $86 of the $106 mil guaranteed. And 100% of the reason why the Mets didn't match it.

I always liked Reyes, and enjoy the excitement he can bring to a game. I wish him well, but not when he's playing my team.

Comment

• Ralf
                    • Dec 2007

Originally posted by foulpole View Post
                    This logic completely ignores the last 4 years of the contract, which accounts for $86 of the $106 mil guaranteed. And 100% of the reason why the Mets didn't match it.

I always liked Reyes, and enjoy the excitement he can bring to a game. I wish him well, but not when he's playing my team.
                    Thank you...

Comment

• Ralf
                      • Dec 2007

I've made some "improvements" to my Reyes jersey for Tuesday night.....

Comment

• Strawman
                        • Mar 2009

Clearly David Wright still roots for his friend - very classy response from the third-sacker (in contrast to some "Mets fans" I've seen elsewhere - not here), via Metsblog:

Prior to today’s doubleheader, David Wright spoke with reporters about Jose Reyes‘ return to Citi Field tomorrow night as a Miami Marlin and said the following, per SNY’s Matt Dunn:

- Will be odd seeing him in a different uniform and dugout, but excited to see him because he is one of the best players in the game.
                        - Thinks Reyes knows better than to drop a bunt on him and shouldn’t unless Reyes wants to go hitless.
                        - It stung when Reyes left the organization he was a part of for so long, but Wright believes Reyes should get a positive response for what he meant to the organization.
                        - Has no opinion about the tribute the team is giving Reyes prior to tomorrow’s game, but thinks any positivity given to one of the most dynamic players in the league during his time with the Mets is well deserved.
                        - Says they still talk from time to time and kept in touch during the winter when Reyes informed him of his decision. Said it was very classy of how Reyes told him of his decision, saying Reyes told him how much it meant to him playing together for so long.
                        - Due to the Marlins aggressive pursuit, he thought the writing was on the wall when he got the call from Reyes on his choice to go to Miami. He believes Reyes is happy there and will have some monster seasons.
                        - Still considers Reyes one of his closest friends in baseball, but will obviously go out there and try to beat him as badly as possible and hope he doesn’t get a hit against us.
                        But for the short-sighted baseball-challenged Wilpon-Alderson regime, this could have been a homegrown career-long Mets partnership for the record books:

reyes-wright-11911.jpg
                        Cleon Jones catches a deep fly ball in F. Scott Fitzgerald's Valley of the Ashes, and a second-grader smiles in front of the black and white television.

Comment

• Ralf
                          • Dec 2007

Well, case closed. The boo's win it by a huuuuge margin.

Mets fans get it. Reyes' greed and his handlers arrogance created the atmosphere for his own departure.

Comment

• Ralf
                            • Dec 2007

To put this puppy to rest.... Part of me felt bad for Jose tonight (though I boo'd his arse everytime ). I bet he thought he would get a hero's welcome tonight and you could see from the post game interview he was trying to cover up his sadness about what transpired. People are rightfully pissed at him for his total lack of loyalty. A more savvy player would have drove the negotiations with the front office instead of letting his handlers manipulate him. They had to save face after his last contract and totally drove him to the highest bidder without probably alerting him to the real consequences of leaving NY for baseball purgatory. His own greed also got in the way and what we have now is Darryl 2.0. I have no doubt that he'll regret the decision for the rest of his life, just like Darryl did/does to this day.

Comment

• milladrive
                              • Sep 2006

Well, case closed. The boo's win it by a huuuuge margin.

Mets fans get it. Reyes' greed and his handlers arrogance created the atmosphere for his own departure.
                              I must admit, you were right. During the introductions, I noticed it was about half and half. Once the game started, however, the jeers clearly outweighed the cheers, especially the deeper into the game it went. At no time did he receive a warm reception.

I've made some "improvements" to my Reyes jersey for Tuesday night.....
                              Tell me, were you were the guy who covered up Reyes' name on his jersey with the words "SELL OUT"?
                              Put it in the books.

Comment

• EasilyFound
                                • Jun 2008

I was a bit surprised by the booing, to be honest. I wonder if Jose was more disappointed in the number of empty seats. I guess he isn't as much of a draw as some might have thought.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X