Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2012 Tigers Season Thread

Blog Entries

2012 Tigers Season Thread

It's the 2012 season. Post away.

Put it in the books.

Good game today for the Tigers over the Sox. Dang, Justin Verlander was flat out nasty today. Darn near unhittable.

I think verlander is going to have another monster season. his good start will only increase his confidence.

however I think the tigers should limit his pitches per game a little. last year he threw a lot of pitches and innings. he had a great season but I felt that he gassed a little in the playoffs. he was still good but not as dominant as he was in the summer.

the central division is historically weak and the tigers will win it anyway by a mile. who should beat them? the white sox or twins?

So I would put him on a little bit of a pitch count. not every game of course but I think pulling him occasionally after 5 in a blowout win might save him some bullets for the post season. the tigers are going to win the division and should start to plan for the post season from the get go. No need for complete games of your ace if you win the division by 10 games.
    Last edited by dominik; 04-06-2012 at 04:54 AM.
    I think walks are overrated unless you can run. If you get a walk and put the pitcher in a stretch, that helps, but the guy who walks and cant run, most of the time hes clogging up the bases for somebody who can run. Dusty Baker.

Agreed. I dont see any reason why he has to throw 250 innings this year. Or have 10 starts where he throws more than 120 pitches like last year.

Prince Fielder stole second base.

http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=20727551

I thought it was funny.
    The Mets have the best, smartest fans in baseball.

Blog Entries
    Interesting to note that Delmon Young's latest outburst did not draw an apology from Leyland or the front office. Contrast this with the response of the Boston Bruins' front office when the N word got used on Twitter regarding the winning goal for the Capitals.

The Tigers' GM expects Young in the lineup by early next week. Perhaps some jail time is indicated.

Other opinions?

Tigers signed OF Jeff Frazier to a minor league contract.

Frazier was batting .273/.343/.359 with three home runs and 14 RBI this year in the Mexican League. He will function as organizational depth this summer for Detroit.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Barrie View Post
    Interesting to note that Delmon Young's latest outburst did not draw an apology from Leyland or the front office. Contrast this with the response of the Boston Bruins' front office when the N word got used on Twitter regarding the winning goal for the Capitals.

The Tigers' GM expects Young in the lineup by early next week. Perhaps some jail time is indicated.

Other opinions?
    He said some really stupid and embarrasing things. It's not for manager Jim Leyland to issue an apology on behlaf of the team, though. Dave Dombrowski did address the situation, but could have done better. The Detroit area has a large Jewish community who have long been supportive of the team. While Young did apologize, this kind of thing likely won't be forgotten soon.
    Bill Tom George Mark Bob Ernie Soupy Dick Alex Sparky
    Joe Gary MCA Emanuel Sonny Dave Earl Stan
    Jonathan Neil Roger Anthony Ray Thomas Art Don
    Gates Philip John Warrior Rik Casey Tony Horace
    Robin JEDI

A few random thoughts. Just when we released Brandon Inge, he reappears as Ryan Raburn, and the more incompetent Valverde gets, which is increasing by appearance, the more annoying his 'spastic chihuahua' dance gets when he actually finishes a Tiger win.

One more thing....Do the Tigers think they're in the N.L. West, where 3 runs a game will keep them over .500 and in the race? Their offense is terrible. Today was a bad day.
    smoker

With this lineup as well as Verlander, Fister and Smyly, if the Tigers can't win, they'll need to consider a new manager.

This season has been pathetic when it should have been legendary. At least we have the hopes of a late season surge like the Cardinals had last year.

Quote Originally Posted by doctor_gogol View Post
    With this lineup as well as Verlander, Fister and Smyly, if the Tigers can't win, they'll need to consider a new manager.

This season has been pathetic when it should have been legendary. At least we have the hopes of a late season surge like the Cardinals had last year.
    Didn't they start poorly last season, as well. At least they're .500 now.

Fielder will start hitting again. Of that, I'm sure. I can't say that about the rest of the team whose name is not Miggy.
    Robin JEDI

I still think (or I should say hope) they'll win the division. They need to build a good cushion between the rest of the pack by August and September though. They have choked twice down the stretch on Leyland's watch, losing the division on the last weekends of 2006 and 2009. I wonder if it would be possible to get rid of Lloyd McClendon without Leyland. Like a reaction to a bad medical diagnosis, I think some of the guys in the line-up should be seeking second opinions when it comes to advice from Lloyd on hitting. Go Tigers.
    smoker

Quote Originally Posted by riverfrontier View Post
    I still think (or I should say hope) they'll win the division. They need to build a good cushion between the rest of the pack by August and September though. They have choked twice down the stretch on Leyland's watch, losing the division on the last weekends of 2006 and 2009. I wonder if it would be possible to get rid of Lloyd McClendon without Leyland. Like a reaction to a bad medical diagnosis, I think some of the guys in the line-up should be seeking second opinions when it comes to advice from Lloyd on hitting. Go Tigers.
    Is Leon Durham still in the organization. It seems he did some good things as a minor league instructor.

McClendon, Lamont and Jones. They are the Herbert, Grammas and Traczewski (sp?) of today. But Sparky saw the greater good and did let his friends go when the time was right to do so.
    Robin JEDI

The #$%# miserable umpiring isn't helping any either.

%#$#&!!!

Leon Durham is still the hitting coach at Toledo. Swap him for Lloyd, I say.

Well, today they couldn't hold on to a three-run lead twice. Cabrera had an extra base hit taken away by the umps. They did, however, score FIVE whole runs all by themselves. Id be so happy for them if they were the San Diego Padres.
    smoker

Tonight they lost to the .297 Twins 11-7

How much more pathetic can this pitching staff get?

I'm hearing the drum beat for Leyland to get fired louder and louder every day.

Quote Originally Posted by doctor_gogol View Post
    Tonight they lost to the .297 Twins 11-7

How much more pathetic can this pitching staff get?

I'm hearing the drum beat for Leyland to get fired louder and louder every day.
    The staff is fine. It's everything else that's not doing well.
    Robin JEDI

They're 0-5 against the Mariners and Twins at home this season. The Angels just fired their hitting coach because of the epic underachieving going on there. The Tigers are right behind the Angels in that department right now. Shake things up, Dave Dombrowski. Somebody needs to teach situational hitting to this team, and how to work a count. I'd like to know what percentage of Tiger runners who get on base with nobody out actually score. This season is starting to look like 2008 all over again.
    smoker

I was at the Tiger game today. I mentioned to my friend Jeff that they used to call Brooks Robinson "the human vacuum cleaner" because no ball could get past him. Then I said they should call Cabrera "the human vacuum cleaner" too, because he sucks. He's no 3rd baseman.
    Last edited by doctor_gogol; 05-17-2012 at 07:33 PM.

If Leyland can't win with this team, maybe this guy can. He's still looking for a job. I think he'd be the perfect personality to manage this team. My patience is wearing thin.

p-554228-terry-francona-autographed-hand-signed-baseball-card-boston-red-sox-2005-topps-271-aw-.jpeg

I'm not the only one suggesting Terry Francona. And I forgot that Francona has already been an Illitch employee. He was a Tiger's 3rd base coach in the 90s

Jim Leyland is a great guy. He's awesome. In his prime he was one of the best. He still is. But just not for this group of players.

http://blog.detroitathletic.com/2012...etroit-tigers/
    Last edited by doctor_gogol; 05-18-2012 at 05:40 AM.

After the lights out performances by Verlander and Scherzer over the weekend, they took a series for the first time in two weeks, going 4-7 in a stretch against .500 and sub .500 teams prior to the Pirates. They could have easily lost Sunday's game, if not for a passed ball that put runners on second and third when Avila hit that double play ball that scooted through against the drawn-in infield. It was the Pirates who gave them the win. But I'll take it. It would have been soul-crushing for Scherzer to lose that game.

As long as Verlander remains the fatter kid on the see-saw to opposing teams, the Tigers should stay out of losing streaks. Now, if they could just, for the first time since sweeping Kansas City on April 18th (THAT long ago) win back to back games....

Porcello, Fister, Verlander against the first-place Indians....I'm willing to write-off the Porcello start, but taking two out of three would be morale-boosting. Scoring more than ten runs in the series regardless of the win/loss tally would be seen as encouraging...............My, how my expectations have fallen in the past month.
    smoker

Well...6 runs scored for the three game series. I actually just started laughing the more runners they stranded. I truly did.

It IS enriching to finally connect to the glorious history of this sport and root for a dead-ball era team. Alas, we were bested by the Naps, but it's on to play the Senators over the weekend. Hope the boys can get some good rest on the train.
    Last edited by riverfrontier; 05-24-2012 at 11:54 AM.
    smoker

It doesn't really matter until after July 4th. It doesn't really matter until after July 4th. It doesn't really matter until after July 4th. It doesn't really matter until after July 4th. It doesn't really matter until after July 4th. It doesn't really matter until after July 4th. It doesn't really matter until after July 4th. It doesn't really matter until after July 4th.
    Robin JEDI

The entire freaking team needs intense therapy from a sports psychologist!

Terry Francona is still unemployed!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast