Page 12 of 68 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262 ... LastLast

Thread: 2012 Mets Season Thread

I would take Jeremy Hefner over Acosta. Hefner did pitch three scoreless innings against the Giants last week before he was demoted to the minors.
    The Mets have the best, smartest fans in baseball.

What the heck did the front office see in Miguel Batista?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue387 View Post
    What the heck did the front office see in Miguel Batista?
    Long relief and emergency starts? I just double checked his stats. He's 41. A team like this should only have guys that age as coaches.

Blog Entries
    Okay, I've officially had enough of Schwinden. ....and Acosta.

I think we need to try Hefner or deal for another starter.
    "And their chances of getting back into this ballgame are growing dimmer by the batter."

Put it in the books.

This team should have spent some of the money for Francisco for a starter. Last season, the Mets had Young and Capuano for relatively cheap and they gave the team many innings started. Edwin Jackson, Joe Saunders, Joel Piniero, Aaron Cook could have pitched for the Mets this season.

Classic let-down series after a nice series in Colorado. It happens...... but hopefully not again.

Everyone and their mother noted before season that the rotation depth was lacking so here we are. I really wish the Wilpons would open up the pocketbook before this season gets out of hand. Relying on Young to pitch come May is not a sound strategy considering Santana likely can't pitch past August anyway. Aaron Cook would be a huuge pickup if we can match up with the Sox. I would love to package Torres to get him. Probably a pipe dream though.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralf View Post
    Classic let-down series after a nice series in Colorado. It happens...... but hopefully not again.

Everyone and their mother noted before season that the rotation depth was lacking so here we are. I really wish the Wilpons would open up the pocketbook before this season gets out of hand. Relying on Young to pitch come May is not a sound strategy considering Santana likely can't pitch past August anyway. Aaron Cook would be a huuge pickup if we can match up with the Sox. I would love to package Torres to get him. Probably a pipe dream though.
    Why, does he turn into a pumpkin on July 31st ? Or are you suggesting Santana and his $25 million salary will be gone at the trading deadline. If so, who can afford him?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by milladrive View Post
    Okay, I've officially had enough of Schwinden. ....and Acosta.

I think we need to try Hefner or deal for another starter.
    Acosta seems pretty useless was my initial take. Looking at his stats this year 13 IP 14 ER he is even worse than that. Schwinden had good numbers in Buffalo, but I donno. The main point is if you dump 30 and 40 somethings like Bautista and Acosta in favor of youth and the best there is that is ready is Schwinden. Well I don't know what the point is as try to come up with one at the keyboeard but if I do it is most assuredly bad.

Quote Originally Posted by mandrake View Post
    Why, does he turn into a pumpkin on July 31st ? Or are you suggesting Santana and his $25 million salary will be gone at the trading deadline. If so, who can afford him?
    Pretty sure the implication was, given his injury history, that he will not be able to pitch past July... I hope he's wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by D-Dubs View Post
    Pretty sure the implication was, given his injury history, that he will not be able to pitch past July... I hope he's wrong.
    I believe he will be gone by 8/1/12 via trade because there is just no point having him on this team. As far as who is going to take him...well the Mets are going to have to eat some salary - how much remains to be seen, but the Mets are not going to pay 25 million a year for a player at this point.

Possible takers:

Dodgers new ownership group makes a splash
    Angels -- they need something

Quote Originally Posted by Paulypal View Post
    I believe he will be gone by 8/1/12 via trade because there is just no point having him on this team. As far as who is going to take him...well the Mets are going to have to eat some salary - how much remains to be seen, but the Mets are not going to pay 25 million a year for a player at this point.
    I don't know... given the relatively light end result of the Picard suit, I think the fire sale will be more difficult to justify (internally and externally). If they're hanging around .500, they could somewhat-realistically convince themselves that by adding a few missing pieces over the winter, they could contend in '13.

My bet is that Wright takes a modest discount to Zimmerman money before the deadline, and Santana stays -- his health/durability is another matter.

Possible takers:

The Dodgers are back from the ashes....all it took was new ownership. They may not win the West, but there is new life out there. I will sample it on Sandy Koufax Bobblehead night in August.

As for the Angels, so far Pujols has struggled to say the least. Eventually he will get going. Now if the Angels sign Santana.....I see the team having its 11th no hitter. 1961 Angels enter MLB...10 no hitters. 1962 Mets enter MLB.....you know the story.

I don't know... given the relatively light end result of the Picard suit, I think the fire sale will be more difficult to justify (internally and externally). If they're hanging around .500, they could somewhat-realistically convince themselves that by adding a few missing pieces over the winter, they could contend in '13.

My bet is that Wright takes a modest discount to Zimmerman money before the deadline, and Santana stays -- his health/durability is another matter.
    I will be thrilled with .500 this year. I can't see a contender with the worst fielding second baseman, and possibly the worst fielding right fielder in the everyday lineup. Murphy needs a new position and/or a new team. He can hit, but he is a menace in the field.

Blog Entries

I tend to agree. I think the Wilponzis have a bit more money now that they've settled instead of opening their books to the public. Point in case: Before the settlement, they couldn't even afford to sign Endy, who went to Baltimore for a small amount. After the settlement, they didn't hesitate to secure Niese for five years. I think they have a bit more resources now.
    "And their chances of getting back into this ballgame are growing dimmer by the batter."

Put it in the books.

Now if the Angels sign Santana.....I see the team having its 11th no hitter. 1961 Angels enter MLB...10 no hitters. 1962 Mets enter MLB.....you know the story.
    Yeah, but the Angels had Nolan Ry... oh...

Possible takers:

Yeah I agree - they have to trade Santana for whatever they can get talent-wise. Zero chance to win WS this year and next. Move that money.

On Wright, no way he takes a penny less than he's worth in the open market. It's on the Mets to bring him back 100%. He'll get a $100M offer from somebody. Can anybody see Sandy Alderson beating it? That said, Mets do have his option - and Mets alone - so it's very hard to trade him.
    Cleon Jones catches a deep fly ball in F. Scott Fitzgerald's Valley of the Ashes, and a second-grader smiles in front of the black and white television.

Quote Originally Posted by Strawman View Post
    On Wright, no way he takes a penny less than he's worth in the open market. It's on the Mets to bring him back 100%. He'll get a $100M offer from somebody. Can anybody see Sandy Alderson beating it? That said, Mets do have his option - and Mets alone - so it's very hard to trade him.
    So you're saying Wright will take $100 million from the Pirates if the Mets only offer $90? For a guy with obvious deep ties and loyalty, I'm saying you're wrong. He is different from most and you'll see it as this progresses.

I'll go a step further. Wright has consistently said he wants to be part of the solution, and wants to win here. I'll bet it never even gets to negotiation. He and his agent approach Sandy et al this Summer and say "I want to be a Met for life, and I want to win... Let's make it happen so you can still afford to bring in top talent."

Some guys are different... Remember the Paul O'Neill story: Fall of 1994, O’Neill asked his agent “How much should I get?”. Agent, having run all the numbers, says “Four years, $22 million,”. O’Neill thought... then ordered, “Keep it under 20.” From that came a four-year, $19.75-million contract.

Wright: "Keep it under $100".

The Dodgers are back from the ashes....all it took was new ownership. They may not win the West, but there is new life out there. I will sample it on Sandy Koufax Bobblehead night in August.

As for the Angels, so far Pujols has struggled to say the least. Eventually he will get going. Now if the Angels sign Santana.....I see the team having its 11th no hitter. 1961 Angels enter MLB...10 no hitters. 1962 Mets enter MLB.....you know the story.
    Those lucky stiffs. It must feel liberating
    unknown brooklyn cabbie " how are the brooks doin"
    unknown fan "good they got three men on base"
    unknown brooklyn cabbie "which one?"

I highly doubt Alderson will find a trade partner for Santana due to his contract. Even if he performs well enough to garner some trade value, that contract significantly decreases it.

Quote Originally Posted by CokeMachineGlow View Post
    I highly doubt Alderson will find a trade partner for Santana due to his contract. Even if he performs well enough to garner some trade value, that contract significantly decreases it.
    Santana is also 33 years old.

Page 12 of 68 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262 ... LastLast