Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Surprising Stats

Surprising Stats

You guys ever run across stats when looking at a player that really stand out to you?

For example:
    -Ken Griffey Sr. and Amos Otis had a higher lifetime OPS+ than Bobby Thomson (118 and 114 to 110)
    -Despite leading the league in steals for his first six seasons, Vince Coleman's OPS+ was only over 100 in the last one.
    -Minnie Minoso, despite not being hot on the Hall of Fame vote, had a higher OPS+ than Jim Rice, Andre Dawson, Bobby Bonds, and Johnny Bench, all known power hitters and in or close to the Hall of Fame. (Granted, he played in fewer seasons than Dawson but it's still pretty impressive)
    Last edited by 1905 Giants; 04-03-2012 at 11:53 AM.
    “There can be no higher law in journalism than to tell the truth and to shame the devil.” – Walter Lippmann

"A pitcher has to look at the hitter as his mortal enemy." -
    Early Wynn

"My own little rule was two for one. If one of my teammates got knocked down, then I knocked down two on the other team." - Don Drysdale

Randy Velarde had more 200-hit seasons than all of the following players, combined.

Mark Grace
    Edgar Martinez
    Chipper Jones
    Mel Ott
    Will Clark
    Ted Williams
    Lou Boudreau
    Roberto Alomar
    Enos Slaughter
    Manny Ramirez
    Barry Bonds
    Mickey Mantle
    Orlando Cepeda
    Frank Thomas
    Ken Griffey Jr.
    Duke Snider
    Carl Yastrzemski

Reggie Jackson never had back to back 30HR seasons.
    The only player to ground into 3 DPs in a WS game was Willie Mays.
    In 1946, Johnny Sain didn't strike out once or draw a single walk. He put the ball in play ever single time up (104 PA).
    Sain also struck out only 20 times in 856 career PA.
    In Randy Johnson's 20K game in 2001, the 1B-man got 4 of the 20 putouts.
    Terry Forster - a Relief Pitcher, had a .397 career batting avg.

not a player stat, but from 1979 all the way to 1994.....no team in baseball had more wins than the Expos.

(not really surprising to certain fans who knew that Montreal was known to put quality teams on the field quite often, but I'd think the Expos would not be the first team you think of with a stat like that)
    "all the mets road wins against the dodgers this year have occured at Dodger Stadium"---Ralph Kiner

"Blind people came to the park just to listen to him pitch"---Reggie Jackson, talking about Tom Seaver

in 2000, Todd Helton hit .372/.463/.698 with 42 HR, 147 RBI, 216 H, 59 2B, and finished 5th in MVP voting. 5th!? That surprised me even more than the stats did.

Quote Originally Posted by RDB_SoxFan View Post
    in 2000, Todd Helton hit .372/.463/.698 with 42 HR, 147 RBI, 216 H, 59 2B, and finished 5th in MVP voting. 5th!? That surprised me even more than the stats did.
    He had a great year, but he benefited largely from his home ballpark. Even though his road stats were solid, his OPS was about .170 points lower than his home stats, and he had 12 less home runs. His OPS+ which is adjusted for ballparks was 163, which was 3rd in his league. He could have won the MVP that year, but the writers didn't feel right giving it to someone with such an advantage.
    People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring. -Rogers Hornsby

Quote Originally Posted by Francoeurstein View Post
    He had a great year, but he benefited largely from his home ballpark. Even though his road stats were solid, his OPS was about .170 points lower than his home stats, and he had 12 less home runs. His OPS+ which is adjusted for ballparks was 163, which was 3rd in his league. He could have won the MVP that year, but the writers didn't feel right giving it to someone with such an advantage.
    I see. Yeah i suppose i forgot to account for his home park, Coors Field. Still though, very impressive numbers, no matter what your home park is.

Quote Originally Posted by ipitch View Post
    Randy Velarde had more 200-hit seasons than all of the following players, combined.

Mark Grace
    Edgar Martinez
    Chipper Jones
    Mel Ott
    Will Clark
    Ted Williams
    Lou Boudreau
    Roberto Alomar
    Enos Slaughter
    Manny Ramirez
    Barry Bonds
    Mickey Mantle
    Orlando Cepeda
    Frank Thomas
    Ken Griffey Jr.
    Duke Snider
    Carl Yastrzemski
    That is surprising! I would have sworn that Yaz had 200 hits in a season at least once. I thought Manny did too, but he never even came particularly close.
    "Tactics were resorted to, unworthy of fair, manly players" - Brooklyn Eagle, June 12,1890

Here's one: Allie Reynolds was 21 and 53 in games with 0-2 runs scored
    “There can be no higher law in journalism than to tell the truth and to shame the devil.” – Walter Lippmann

"A pitcher has to look at the hitter as his mortal enemy." -
    Early Wynn

"My own little rule was two for one. If one of my teammates got knocked down, then I knocked down two on the other team." - Don Drysdale

Rod Carew 1977 14 HR 100 RBI's
    and
    Hank Aaron never had more than 47 HR's in a season

Quote Originally Posted by Francoeurstein View Post
    As late as August 28, 2000 Helton was hitting .397 (186 for 469), two hits short of .400.
    Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.-Crash Davis

http://sfgiants-forum.com/forum/index.php

Tom Glavine in 1988 went 7-17. This was his first full season. That, IMO, proves that great players will prove themselves over time and that it is not all about big-splash rookie years. Sometimes the greats have a learning curve.
    Catfish Hunter, RIP. Mark Fidrych, RIP. Skip Caray, RIP.

A fanatic is someone who can't change his mind and won't change the subject. -- Winston Churchill.

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test first and the lesson later. -- Dan Quisenberry.

Quote Originally Posted by 1905 Giants View Post
    Here's one: Allie Reynolds was 21 and 53 in games with 0-2 runs scored
    Not sure why that is so surprising
    Mythical SF Chronicle scouting report: "That Jeff runs like a deer. Unfortunately, he also hits AND throws like one." I am Venus DeMilo - NO ARM! I can play like a big leaguer, I can field like Luzinski, run like Lombardi. The secret to managing is keeping the ones who hate you away from the undecided ones. I am a triumph of quantity over quality. I'm almost useful, every village needs an idiot.
    Good traders: MadHatter(2), BoofBonser26, StormSurge

In 1930, Chuck Klein hit .386 with 40 homers, 170 RBI, 250 hits, and a .687 slugging percentage. He led the league in zero of those categories. That is the only year in baseball history for which that would hold true.

Lou Gehrig never hit 50 homers...had years of 49, 49, 47, and 46.

Keith Moreland went 12 for 15 stealing bases for the Cubs in 1985...Ron Cey was a speed demon compared to this guy. Must have been some catchers in the NL with broken arms that year.

Whitey Ford only won 20 or more games twice, both times for Ralph Houk. Stengel only started him over 30 times once and had Ford pitching relief a handful of games a year...Casey had funny ideas about how to run a team, but I guess he made it work somehow.

Lou should've in 1927. He was actually leading Ruth in homers toward the end of the season; he had 45 homers as of September 6th, but hit only 2 more the next whole month. By contrast, Ruth hit 17 the last month of the season to finish at 60.

Quote Originally Posted by RuthMayBond View Post
    Not sure why that is so surprising
    The great pitchers are supposed to win those games. Reynolds almost was elected to the HOF a couple years ago.
    Bill Tom George Mark Bob Ernie Soupy Alex Sparky
    Joe Gary MCA Emanuel Sonny Dave Earl Stan
    Jonathan Neil Roger Anthony Ray Thomas Art Don
    Gates Philip John Warrior JEDI

Quote Originally Posted by abolishthedh View Post
    Tom Glavine in 1988 went 7-17. This was his first full season. That, IMO, proves that great players will prove themselves over time and that it is not all about big-splash rookie years. Sometimes the greats have a learning curve.
    Glavine was a fastball/curveball pitcher until he discovered that changeup right before 1991, his first Cy Young season.
    1885 1886 1926 1931 1934 1942 1944 1946 1964 1967 1982 2006 2011

1887 1888 1928 1930 1943 1968 1985 1987 2004 2013

1996 2000 2001 2002 2005 2009 2012

The Top 100 Pitchers In MLB History
    The Top 100 Position Players In MLB History

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Cold Nose View Post
    The great pitchers are supposed to win those games. Reynolds almost was elected to the HOF a couple years ago.
    Actually, I think '1905 Giants' is saying that Reynolds' 21-53 record in games with 0-2 runs scored (run support) is quite good.

I randomly checked 5 great pitchers records in games with 0-2 runs of support:
    Maddux: 42-141
    Clemens: 31-113
    Ford: 25-64
    Carlton: 46-160
    Palmer: 34-105

It's obviously very difficult to win games with such little run support.

Check more! That's really cool to see. Who was over .500?

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzaldrin View Post
    Check more! That's really cool to see. Who was over .500?
    I doubt anyone is, except for maybe a few pitchers with very short careers.

Bob Gibson: 37-111
    Juan Marichal: 27-87
    Sandy Koufax: 31-51
    Nolan Ryan: 43-200(!)
    Pedro Martínez: 24-69
    Randy Johnson: 37-106

Could you check Ed Walsh?

Quote Originally Posted by Muncus Agruncus View Post
    No, some of his stats are unavailable because he pitched too long ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Muncus Agruncus View Post
    Two runs of support back around 1908 & 1909 wasn't that bad. Now in 1930, not so much
    Mythical SF Chronicle scouting report: "That Jeff runs like a deer. Unfortunately, he also hits AND throws like one." I am Venus DeMilo - NO ARM! I can play like a big leaguer, I can field like Luzinski, run like Lombardi. The secret to managing is keeping the ones who hate you away from the undecided ones. I am a triumph of quantity over quality. I'm almost useful, every village needs an idiot.
    Good traders: MadHatter(2), BoofBonser26, StormSurge

Okay. Retrosheet doesn't have the old games? I haven't looked at that site in a few years.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast