Thread: Books on the Yankees 1920's-1950's

Books on the Yankees 1920's-1950's

Can anyone recommend any good books on the Yankees teams and/or seasons from the 1920's-1950's? I have a few on the 1927 Yankees and one on the 1939 Yankees and was wondering if there were any others that cover that time period?

Thanks,
    James Sontag
    Axes grind and maces clash!

Dynasty by Peter Golenbock is pretty good, as long as you take Golenbock with a grain of salt.

Thanks Ed, I do have that book. Haven't read it though. Is Golenbock that bad a writer?

Quote Originally Posted by jsontag View Post
    Thanks Ed, I do have that book. Haven't read it though. Is Golenbock that bad a writer?
    Golenbock is a pretty good writer, I think. I think he sometimes plays a little fast and loose with the facts. I don't really think he lies, but I think he has a tendancy to go with the legend rather than the facts sometimes. I didn't see much of this in Dynasty, though, as much as in Bums and Amazin'. There is one obvious typo in Dynasty that I've seen in every edition of Dynasty: the 1945 Indians are referred to as pennant winners (instead of the 1954 Indians).

Quote Originally Posted by EdTarbusz View Post
    Golenbock is a pretty good writer, I think. I think he sometimes plays a little fast and loose with the facts. I don't really think he lies, but I think he has a tendancy to go with the legend rather than the facts sometimes. I didn't see much of this in Dynasty, though, as much as in Bums and Amazin'. There is one obvious typo in Dynasty that I've seen in every edition of Dynasty: the 1945 Indians are referred to as pennant winners (instead of the 1954 Indians).
    Thanks, that is good to know. Would you recommend the book on the 1923 Yankees titled The 1923 New York Yankees: A History of Their First World Championship Season by Ronald A. Mayer?

Thanks, that is good to know. Would you recommend the book on the 1923 Yankees titled The 1923 New York Yankees: A History of Their First World Championship Season by Ronald A. Mayer?
    I don't think I've seen that one. I saw one about the 1923 Yankees and the opening of Yankee Stadium that I thought looked good. I don't think it's the one you mentioned. I'll see if I can find the title for you.

I don't think I've seen that one. I saw one about the 1923 Yankees and the opening of Yankee Stadium that I thought looked good. I don't think it's the one you mentioned. I'll see if I can find the title for you.
    I know exactly which book you are talking about. It's called The house that Ruth built : a new stadium, the first Yankees championship, and the redemption of 1923 by Robert Weintraub. I hadn't heard anything about The 1923 New York Yankees: A History of Their First World Championship Season and was wondering id it was any good or stay away from it.

I picked up a boxed set of "The DiMaggio Papers" a few years back for $5-10, and I find it fascinating. It's a collection of newspaper and magazine articles touching on the Clipper, but there's obviously a lot about the rest of the team, too. It was published at a very high price but soon found its way to the bargain tables.
    "5 O'Clock Lightning" by Tommy Henrich has lots of great info from inside the team, but I didn't find it to be very well written. It was kind of a slog for me, but I'd think a Yanks fan would really appreciate hearing from one of their best players of the time.

I know exactly which book you are talking about. It's called The house that Ruth built : a new stadium, the first Yankees championship, and the redemption of 1923 by Robert Weintraub. I hadn't heard anything about The 1923 New York Yankees: A History of Their First World Championship Season and was wondering id it was any good or stay away from it.
    The Weintraub book was the one I was thinking of. i was about to post the name of it.

I had not heard of Five O' Clock Lightning by Tommy Henrich, but I do have Five O'Clock Lightning: Babe Ruth, Lou Gehrig and the Greatest Baseball Team in History, The 1927 New York Yankees by Harvey Frommer. I will definitely look for the Henrich book as that seems like one to have.

I had not heard of Five O' Clock Lightning by Tommy Henrich, but I do have Five O'Clock Lightning: Babe Ruth, Lou Gehrig and the Greatest Baseball Team in History, The 1927 New York Yankees by Harvey Frommer. I will definitely look for the Henrich book as that seems like one to have.
    I read the Henrich book a while back and I remember it being one of the better player memoirs that I read.

Quote Originally Posted by Dude Paskert View Post
    I picked up a boxed set of "The DiMaggio Papers" a few years back for $5-10, and I find it fascinating. It's a collection of newspaper and magazine articles touching on the Clipper, but there's obviously a lot about the rest of the team, too. It was published at a very high price but soon found its way to the bargain tables.
    "5 O'Clock Lightning" by Tommy Henrich has lots of great info from inside the team, but I didn't find it to be very well written. It was kind of a slog for me, but I'd think a Yanks fan would really appreciate hearing from one of their best players of the time.
    I remember when the DiMaggio papers came out. It was retailing for $75 or $100 IIRC.

Blog Entries
    I've read The house that Ruth built : It's good.

Also 1921 by Spatz and Steinberg isn't bad

Also Perfect by Lew Paper - the story of Larsens perfect game - it's like half Yanks/half Dodgers

Has anyone heard or anyone recommend this book Reynolds, Raschi and Lopat: New York's Big Three and Great Yankee Dynasty of 1949-1953 by Sol Gittleman?

I remember when the DiMaggio papers came out. It was retailing for $75 or $100 IIRC.
    My mistake, the set is called "The DiMaggio Albums". Joe himself wrote the intro. I know I have it somewhere, but I probably haven't dug it out in a couple of years. Must have picked it up at least 15 years ago, and I spent several weeks poring over it in my spare time...well worth the short money I paid for it. Looks like it's about $20 before shipping on Amazon.

Has anyone heard or anyone recommend this book Reynolds, Raschi and Lopat: New York's Big Three and Great Yankee Dynasty of 1949-1953 by Sol Gittleman?
    Excellent book! Read it a few months ago. My Dad always told me about Reynolds, Raschi and Lopat and I wish that he were here to read this book. Details their time together as teammates as well as the close friendship between them, which I did not know about. They and their wives were lifelong friends year-round. Three classy gentlemen who each put the team first, and stressed to the younger players the importance of doing so. One memorable bit was how Mantle feared the wrath of Reynolds, who tried to impress upon Mickey how essential it was for him to take care of himself for the benefit of the team. I greatly enjoyed the book, and I think any fan interested in that era would also enjoy it. Refreshing point of view rather than another team history.
    Good afternoon, ladies and gentlemen,and welcome to Yankee Stadium. Here are the lineups for todays game...

Quote Originally Posted by The Monument View Post
    Excellent book! Read it a few months ago. My Dad always told me about Reynolds, Raschi and Lopat and I wish that he were here to read this book. Details their time together as teammates as well as the close friendship between them, which I did not know about. They and their wives were lifelong friends year-round. Three classy gentlemen who each put the team first, and stressed to the younger players the importance of doing so. One memorable bit was how Mantle feared the wrath of Reynolds, who tried to impress upon Mickey how essential it was for him to take care of himself for the benefit of the team. I greatly enjoyed the book, and I think any fan interested in that era would also enjoy it. Refreshing point of view rather than another team history.
    Thank you so much for the information. I will definitely be getting this book now. Sounds like it was a fantastic read.