Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 2012 San Francisco Giants Season thread

MadBum pitches a solid game as the Giants win 4-1 to take 2 of 3 in Colorado. Now they come home for the AT&T home opener tomorrow!
    Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.-Crash Davis

Matt Cain with the 1-hit, complete game, shutout with 11 K's and 0 walks!!!! Bad-ass! This is at least Cain's second career 1-hitter. I'll go check.
    Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.-Crash Davis

Atta' boy Matty, no chance for Pirates hitters today. Cabrera is a very nice fit!

This is Cain's 3rd career 1-hitter.

As Kruk says, the Pirates had "none chance, none"

I love that quote
    “Well, I like to say I’m completely focused, right? I mean, the game’s on the line. It’s not like I’m thinking about what does barbecue Pop Chips and Cholula taste like. Because I already know that answer — it tastes friggin’ awesome!"--Brian Wilson

big
    matt
    cain

a gem.
    "you don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. just get people to stop reading them." -ray bradbury

giants 4, pirates 3 to even their record at 4-4 after opening 0-3.

the big men have now scored 4 or more runs in all 8 of their games this year.
    they are looking to make it 9 for the first time since 2003.
    "you don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. just get people to stop reading them." -ray bradbury

but now with the most errors in the bigs with 13.

bumgarner and cain both took a no-hitter into the 6th in back-to-back efforts.

the most recent times of taking a no-no into the 6th in consecutive starts prior to that:
    vogelsong / lincecum in may '11
    lincecum / sanchez in july '09

three in a row for the big men!

Got away with kicking the ball around last night, thats a ball Brandon's gotta take a bite out of once he runs it down. Back to back nice efforts out of Zito, control looks good!

Pablo's weight impacts him in the field a lot more than at bat. Boch and Sabes must know that, but I suspect that as long as he's hitting like he is they wont make a fuss.

Crawford will win a gold glove one day soon, of that I am sure.
    “Well, I like to say I’m completely focused, right? I mean, the game’s on the line. It’s not like I’m thinking about what does barbecue Pop Chips and Cholula taste like. Because I already know that answer — it tastes friggin’ awesome!"--Brian Wilson

Quote Originally Posted by KHenry14 View Post
    Pablo's weight impacts him in the field a lot more than at bat. Boch and Sabes must know that, but I suspect that as long as he's hitting like he is they wont make a fuss.

Crawford will win a gold glove one day soon, of that I am sure.
    Pablo played excellent defense last year at a lower weight. I do wish he hadn't picked up a few pounds, and I'm sure management agrees.

Crawford is very good, but he has lapses from time to time and at times tries to do too much. Experience will take care of both of those concerns.
    San Francisco Giants, World Series Champions in 2010 and 2012

"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts" ~ Albert Einstein

wilson probably out with TJ surgery. that would be really bad.

I think the team could compensate it since he is only a closer and needs to throw one inning but wilson is a rock star and probably the most popular giants player so this is not good for the fan attendance and ratings.
    I think walks are overrated unless you can run. If you get a walk and put the pitcher in a stretch, that helps, but the guy who walks and can’t run, most of the time he’s clogging up the bases for somebody who can run. – Dusty Baker.

Wilson is a good reliever, but not the main stay of the Giants. Yes, he is a fan favorite, but as a side show, not the main star. He will have no effect on team attendance unless they can't replace him, and his absence cost the team wins which I don't see happening.

Go with Casilla...no commitee please...if he doesn't work out consider calling up Hembree from Fresno

Quick update from the farms on some of our favorites. Brown, Susac and Joseph are all hitting at or below the Mendoza line. Joe Panik in hitting just under .300 with 12 hits, 6 of which are doubles. Growing pains all around I guess...

The Eastern League is a tough hitter's league. I'm sure Brown will get it going. I'm not as optimistic about Joseph, though. Susac's struggles in the Cal League surprise me. Panik is doing ok.

MadBum pitched a solid game last night leading the Giants to a 4-2 win over the Phillies. Natey Nate had three hits!

posey also had three!
    and were your of the "it's gonna be a line drive in tomorrow's boxscore tomorrow" variety.

7 of the 8 starting position players had at least one hit.
    brandon crawford was the lone exception.

crawford booted a couple'a grounders that most of us in the stands expected him to make. but that assist of his for the final out has him back in good graces.

Brandon Belt's slow start simply puzzles me.

Quote Originally Posted by Honus Wagner Rules View Post
    Brandon Belt's slow start simply puzzles me.
    three words: middle in fastballs

Quote Originally Posted by KHenry14 View Post
    three words: middle in fastballs
    I guess I need to see his AB's on video to really understand the problem. Belt has 7 K's in 22 PA which is a lot.

giants 1-nuthin' over phillies in 11 as cain puts up goose eggs through 9 and lee bettering that by one. wow! this one's an instant classic and is gonna be remembered for a long, long time.
    like, for always.

ok, i'm gonna say it:
    bmc became the ace of the staff tonight.

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast