Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: 2012 San Francisco Giants Season thread

Quote Originally Posted by west coast orange and black View Post
    ok, i'm gonna say it:
    bmc became the ace of the staff tonight.
    You know it, I know it, and more importantly, Timmy knows it. And I don't think he'll like it. Here's hoping the competitor in Timmy rises up and figures out what's going on with him and he gets back to being the ace.
    “Well, I like to say I’m completely focused, right? I mean, the game’s on the line. It’s not like I’m thinking about what does barbecue Pop Chips and Cholula taste like. Because I already know that answer — it tastes friggin’ awesome!"--Brian Wilson

lincecum gave up 8 first-inning runs in all of his starts last season. just 8.
    in three 2012 starts he has now given up 9 first-inning runs. comparing those two scenarios makes us wonder aloud "what's up?!"
    it's anybody's guess as to what.

once outta the first inning lincecum seems to be ok. not quite what we are used to marvel at, but better'n just decent. again, it's anybody's guess as to why.

interesting that after throwing no slideballs during the spring and in his first two starts lincecum threw about 20 or so against philly on monday night. bochy had explained it away a week 'n a half ago as lincecum (paraphrasing) "saving his arm for the season," which was met by "huh? in march and april?"

so, something's up.*

*it's anybody's guess as to what.
    "you don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. just get people to stop reading them." -ray bradbury

Giants hit into four double plays against the Phillies:
    http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=20742955

Is that some sort of record?
    The Mets have the best, smartest fans in baseball.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue387 View Post
    Giants hit into four double plays against the Phillies:
    http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=20742955

Is that some sort of record?
    No. The Giants once hit into SEVEN double plays on May 4th, 1969.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/bo...96905040.shtml
    Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.-Crash Davis

^
    yimmy-yikes!
    "you don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. just get people to stop reading them." -ray bradbury

returning to matt cain for a moment:
    he retired the first seven phillies last night.
    that made it a streak of 34 of 35 batters grabbing pine in his last three starts.

This Mets-Giants series has been weird. Given the Mets talent of stranding baserunners and the Giants' inability to hit, I expect several low scoring games.

Boche was indeed, odd, yesterday to say the least

The Giants look like they may get swept by the Reds. Not a good way to end a otherwise good road trip.

Wow, the Giants pull it out in the 9th. Better to be lucky than just good. They now come home after w 4-3 road trip. Go Giants beat the Padres.

Affeldt throws gas on another fire, where's his control gone??

Not a bad outing for a guy who'd lost it.

This was for all the haters out there, atta boy Timmy! Now just wait till you really hit your stride!
    San Francisco Giants, World Series Champions in 2010 and 2012

Fire Bam Bam! Hire The Thrill!!

Quote Originally Posted by Rich the Giants fan View Post
    Not a bad outing for a guy who'd lost it.

This was for all the haters out there, atta boy Timmy! Now just wait till you really hit your stride!
    I agree. It was a tad early to write off a two time CYA winner.

It's becoming clearer that Timmy's issues are in his head and not his arm. How a guy like that would lose his confidence is beyond me, but pitching 8 good innings has to help.

BTW, congrats to Brandon Belt for getting the 2 out hit with RISP (a rarity for the Giants). That's the kind of hitting I was hoping for from him.
    “Well, I like to say I’m completely focused, right? I mean, the game’s on the line. It’s not like I’m thinking about what does barbecue Pop Chips and Cholula taste like. Because I already know that answer — it tastes friggin’ awesome!"--Brian Wilson

Quote Originally Posted by KHenry14 View Post
    That's the kind of hitting I was hoping for from him.
    The real question is how often it will happen? I hope you are right, but only time will tell.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bear View Post
    The real question is how often it will happen? I hope you are right, but only time will tell.
    That's certainly true. Consistency is what separates the good players from the great ones. My only concern is that Belt get more playing time, including gettting some AB's against LH pitching. It's hard to build that consistency when you don't get the AB's

BTW, the one thing that I didn't anticipate for the Giants this season was the poor defensive play of the team. Leading the league in errors wont make that excellent pitching staff very happy. Hopefully guys will get their act together, because I don't want to blow great performances by our pitchers because we can't pick the ball.

Quote Originally Posted by KHenry14 View Post
    BTW, the one thing that I didn't anticipate for the Giants this season was the poor defensive play of the team. Leading the league in errors wont make that excellent pitching staff very happy. Hopefully guys will get their act together, because I don't want to blow great performances by our pitchers because we can't pick the ball.
    It might help if they came up with a set line-up. They way they are changing the line-up this year it makes last season's line-up look like it was set in stone.

just for the heckuvit:

lowest home era in senior circuit since 2011 all-star game:

0.93 johnny cueto, reds
    1.26 madison bumgarner
    1.59 ian kennedy, diamondbacks
    1.60 tim hudson, braves

just for the heckuvit II

opponents stole 11 bags in april against the big men.
    3rd-fewest in the league.

Quote Originally Posted by west coast orange and black View Post
    just for the heckuvit II

opponents stole 11 bags in april against the big men.
    3rd-fewest in the league.
    Part of this evidently would be Hector Sanchez. Dude evidently has a wicked fast release to 2nd.

What is going on with Brandon Belt?

I say trade him to the Indians for Shin Shoo Choo. I saw that happen in Baseball Mogul 2012.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue387 View Post
    What is going on with Brandon Belt?

I say trade him to the Indians for Shin Shoo Choo. I saw that happen in Baseball Mogul 2012.
    Ummm, yeah..... no.

Sandoval left tonight's game with "Quite a bit of pain" in his left hand. He missed time last year with a broken hamate bone in his right hand.

Not good.

http://www.csnbayarea.com/baseball-s...blockID=701338

^
    yeah. not good.

ya'know what else was not good? zito issuing 7 walks in just 3.2 innings. and the error and passed ball, other miscues and overall sloppiness.

there was an exodus after the completion of the 7th inning. it looked like dodger stadium!
    we faithful got treated to a memorable botton of the ninth rally, but what could'a and should'a been last night.
    a tough tough loss.

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast