I was just reading through the 2011/2012 off season thread, looking for a post and instead stumbled upon this post of mine:
I also said that they should keep Tito and that Valentine is a horrible idea. Man, I wish the Red Sox would just have listen to me this once. (And I really mean just this once, because some of my other offseason/trade deadline suggestions over the past years would have turned out rather disastrous) ;-)So here are three somewhat random ideas, that might or might not be completely unrealistic.
- Trade Lowrie + Prospect to the Dodgers for Keneley Jansen. Pickup Scutaro's option. Let Papelbon walk.
The Dodgers have a lot of RP-depth but big time holes at 3B and 2B. Most of their top prospects are pitchers as well, so they might be interested in acquiring a relatively cheap infielder with potential power.
- Trade Kevin Youkilis for pitching. Maybe to the Brewers. They do need a middle of the order type 1B. Maybe SF or the Braves. Both have tons of young pitching and could use an offensive upgrade.
- Sign a stopgap 3B for a year or two untill Middlebrooks is ready, preferably a good defender. Mike Aviles becomes the utility infielder. Resign David Ortiz as DH.
- If you wanna go crazy and a market for him develops, sell high on Beckett. Might the Rangers be interested (Would they trade Perez and Olt/Profar) or the Royals?
- Other ideas: Resign Bedard. Get Ted Lilly from the Dodgers if they are trying to dump payroll. Would the Orioles trade Guthrie within the AL East?