Results 1 to 25 of 58

Thread: Sons and Daughters, Baseball and Ballet

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Montgomery, AL
    Posts
    262

    Sons and Daughters, Baseball and Ballet

    So, all of a sudden, my daughter Willa (9 in June) has taken an interest in baseball. I'm thrilled! She asked me to play catch with her a couple of weeks ago, and It was like the "Field of Dreams" moment when Kevin Costner asked his ghost dad for a catch. For a week she used her brother's RHT glove on her left hand and threw with her right until I got here a lefty glove. Went to the cages and she got the bat on the ball more often than I thought she would.

    She studies ballet. And she is good. Long and lean, several instructors have pulled me aside and told me she has the stuff to be a great dancer. What I have found is how easy it is to give her instruction, especially movement. Never seen a kid learn to crow-hop as fast as she did. "Oh, Dad. It is the same as a pas de chat!" "Uh...yeah! I guess so."

    So her goal is to practice through the summer and she will decide if she wants to play fall baseball. I am sure she will be the only girl in our league not playing softball. The wife is a little concerned about her starting at the player pitch level, but I think she will get up to speed soon enough.

    Ethan is cool with it. With baseball being "his thing" I was a worried about possible conflict of world's colliding but I think he will be happy to have her play catch with. I tried to talk him into the ballet lessons for the conditioning and coordination, (and hey, tons of chicks-right?), but that isn't on his radar yet.

    Anyway, thought I would share. It is going to be a fun season. If any of you Dads out there had a daughter choose baseball, let me know your experience.

  2. #2
    Mine played softball for a season or two and gave it up for Dance. I'm not surprised that your daughter's dance ability has helped her on the diamond. Athletic is athletic, right.

    I wish my son would entertain the idea of taking up dance. It would help him in so many ways, but as far as he's concerned, just the mere thought of dance will make him gay.

    Thanks for sharing your story Bama. Enjoy!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    12,659
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by BamaYankee View Post
    So, all of a sudden, my daughter Willa (9 in June) has taken an interest in baseball. I'm thrilled! She asked me to play catch with her a couple of weeks ago, and It was like the "Field of Dreams" moment when Kevin Costner asked his ghost dad for a catch. For a week she used her brother's RHT glove on her left hand and threw with her right until I got here a lefty glove. Went to the cages and she got the bat on the ball more often than I thought she would.

    She studies ballet. And she is good. Long and lean, several instructors have pulled me aside and told me she has the stuff to be a great dancer. What I have found is how easy it is to give her instruction, especially movement. Never seen a kid learn to crow-hop as fast as she did. "Oh, Dad. It is the same as a pas de chat!" "Uh...yeah! I guess so."

    So her goal is to practice through the summer and she will decide if she wants to play fall baseball. I am sure she will be the only girl in our league not playing softball. The wife is a little concerned about her starting at the player pitch level, but I think she will get up to speed soon enough.

    Ethan is cool with it. With baseball being "his thing" I was a worried about possible conflict of world's colliding but I think he will be happy to have her play catch with. I tried to talk him into the ballet lessons for the conditioning and coordination, (and hey, tons of chicks-right?), but that isn't on his radar yet.

    Anyway, thought I would share. It is going to be a fun season. If any of you Dads out there had a daughter choose baseball, let me know your experience.
    Thanks for sharing... I have two sons, but coached girls basketball for 11+ years...
    "He who dares to teach, must never cease to learn."
    - John Cotton Dana (18561929) - Offered to many by L. Olson - Iowa (Teacher)
    Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    mariners country
    Posts
    23,570
    --I have 2 granddaughters, ages 7 and 9, playing Little League. Last year at 6 and 8 they played T-ball and coach pitch, rspectively, and both and there were other girls on their teams. This year they are both playing kid pitch (the younger one is actually the more serious about baseball) and will be the only girls on the team. If they continue they will probably move to softball with the other girls next year, but at this age there isn't much difference in the athletic ability of boys and girls. The younger girl was the best player on her tee ball team and the older one about average on the coach pitch team. If your daughter wants to play she should definately have the opportunity.

  5. #5
    As a father of 5 girls and 4 boys I find it personally offensive when girls are allowed to play in boy's league. What is being proved by allowing this?

    I noticed last year in my son's 12U tournament play that a girl was playing and it was joke.

    Fortunately I don't see any girls at the 13U level and hopefully never will.

  6. #6
    Good Lord man, tie a knot in it already. :

    There was a girl on one of the teams when we were at Cooperstown last summer. It was strange.

    I wouldn't let my daughter play baseball at that age, and if the league put a girl on my team I'd coach her, but it would be difficult.

  7. #7
    I was going for 10 kids but I heard every 10th person in the world was Chinese and I didn't want a Chinese kid.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Golden, CO
    Posts
    3,345
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by tradosaurus View Post
    As a father of 5 girls and 4 boys I find it personally offensive when girls are allowed to play in boy's league. What is being proved by allowing this?

    I noticed last year in my son's 12U tournament play that a girl was playing and it was joke.

    Fortunately I don't see any girls at the 13U level and hopefully never will.
    I just got back from the USSSA Spring Nationals where one of the best teams in the country (12maj) had a girl playing short and leading off. She was, by a fairly wide margin, the best shortstop I've seen at that age. She turned two dp's on my team and made a fantastic play on a first and third double steal, where she cut the ball off, made a behind the back tag of R1 and threw R3 out at the plate. She also went 3 for 3 at the plate in a 7-0 win. I'm a believer.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Roothog66 View Post
    I just got back from the USSSA Spring Nationals where one of the best teams in the country (12maj) had a girl playing short and leading off. She was, by a fairly wide margin, the best shortstop I've seen at that age. She turned two dp's on my team and made a fantastic play on a first and third double steal, where she cut the ball off, made a behind the back tag of R1 and threw R3 out at the plate. She also went 3 for 3 at the plate in a 7-0 win. I'm a believer.
    Believer in what?

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Montgomery, AL
    Posts
    262
    Quote Originally Posted by tradosaurus View Post
    As a father of 5 girls and 4 boys I find it personally offensive when girls are allowed to play in boy's league. What is being proved by allowing this?

    I noticed last year in my son's 12U tournament play that a girl was playing and it was joke.

    Fortunately I don't see any girls at the 13U level and hopefully never will.
    Offensive? Really? How do you feel about the uncoordinated fat kids playing ball. Equally offended? Should they be separated, too? Geez.

    I don't see a lot of difference between boys and girls at that age. I am not interested in her shattering gender sterotypes, either. I am glad she has an appreciation for the game, she should try it while she still can and at the end of the day I will be totally satisfied if when she grows up, she will sit beside her old man, drink a beer with me and watch a game on TV.
    Last edited by BamaYankee; 04-05-2012 at 03:13 PM.

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by tradosaurus View Post
    I find it personally offensive when girls are allowed to play in boy's league.
    Wow. Aren't we in the 21st Century now?

    Next thing I'm going to read on this board is that it's offensive that women are allowed to vote, or own property, or choose their husband. I guess they should stay barefoot and pregnant in the kitchen.

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Megunticook View Post
    Wow. Aren't we in the 21st Century now?

    Next thing I'm going to read on this board is that it's offensive that women are allowed to vote, or own property, or choose their husband. I guess they should stay barefoot and pregnant in the kitchen.
    You said, I didn't.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •