Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: Johan Santana is back!!!

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    me
    Posts
    4,647

    Johan Santana is back!!!

    5 scoreless innings today!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Anderson, SC
    Posts
    9,125
    Uh huh, against a Braves lineup that historically sucks against lefties can be maddingly inconsistent sometimes. Let's see how he does in his next start.

  3. #3
    Says nothing against the braves, plus frediball gave the mets the 1-0 win.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Staten Island, New York
    Posts
    5,603
    This Yankee fan is happy for him. He seems like a classy guy, and was a top 5 pitcher when healthy.
    Lou Gehrig is the Truest Yankee of them all!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    me
    Posts
    4,647
    since when did the Braves not feature a pro line up? still a great feat.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Anderson, SC
    Posts
    9,125
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackout View Post
    since when did the Braves not feature a pro line up? still a great feat.
    Generally, the Braves hitters are terrible at hitting pitches other than fastballs, and Santana didn't throw anything above 90 mph.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    me
    Posts
    4,647
    Quote Originally Posted by SamtheBravesFan View Post
    Generally, the Braves hitters are terrible at hitting pitches other than fastballs, and Santana didn't throw anything above 90 mph.
    why would he want to if that was the case about their hitting?

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Anderson, SC
    Posts
    9,125
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackout View Post
    why would he want to if that was the case about their hitting?
    Well, apparently Santana was told not to throw anything at max velocity, so he didn't.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    me
    Posts
    4,647
    another great outing from Johan


    JOHANS BACK, JOHANS BACK

    ALL MY %#$$@@@# SCREAMING OUT JOHANS BACK!



    sorry i hate Rick Ross as much as the next man but i just thought that'd be funny.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    me
    Posts
    4,647

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    An hour from Cooperstown
    Posts
    7,340
    That boxscore doesn't tell you the story of that game. Josh Johnson allowed no runs and three hits through 6 2/3 innings. Then, with two out in the seventh, he walked a batter, and Ozzie Guillen brought in a releiver who walked the next hitter. Ozzie took the reliever out, brought in another one. Same result, base on balls. Ozzie changed pitchers again. Same result. The Marlins gave up four consecutive walks from four different pitchers with two outs, allowing the tying run to score. It's probably happened before, but it's the first time I've seen it. It wasn't pretty.
    "Tactics were resorted to, unworthy of fair, manly players" - Brooklyn Eagle, June 12,1890

  12. #12
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Rockland County, NY
    Posts
    11,395
    Blog Entries
    1
    Ozzie's overmanagin cost them that game.
    "There has always been a saying in baseball that you can't make a hitter, but I think you can improve a hitter. More than you can improve a fielder. More mistakes are made hitting than in any other part of the game."
    - Ted Williams

    "I know I'm the world's worst fielder, but who gets paid for fielding? There isn't a great fielder in baseball getting the kind of dough I get paid for hitting."
    - Dick Stuart

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jan 2000
    Location
    Westchester County, NY
    Posts
    3,046
    Quote Originally Posted by ol' aches and pains View Post
    That boxscore doesn't tell you the story of that game. Josh Johnson allowed no runs and three hits through 6 2/3 innings. Then, with two out in the seventh, he walked a batter, and Ozzie Guillen brought in a releiver who walked the next hitter. Ozzie took the reliever out, brought in another one. Same result, base on balls. Ozzie changed pitchers again. Same result. The Marlins gave up four consecutive walks from four different pitchers with two outs, allowing the tying run to score. It's probably happened before, but it's the first time I've seen it. It wasn't pretty.
    I was there. That was probably the most painful half inning I've ever sat through. The game was moving at a nice clip with Santana and Johnson pitching well. Then the bottom of the seventh.

    No idea why he had Johnson on such a short leash. It was like Guillen was pre-determined to take him out afte 100 pitches

    Back to Santana, the mets still haven't scored while he's been in the game. He could easily by 3-1.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    6,493
    Blog Entries
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by Brooklyn View Post
    I was there. That was probably the most painful half inning I've ever sat through. The game was moving at a nice clip with Santana and Johnson pitching well. Then the bottom of the seventh.

    No idea why he had Johnson on such a short leash. It was like Guillen was pre-determined to take him out afte 100 pitches

    Back to Santana, the mets still haven't scored while he's been in the game. He could easily by 3-1.
    Johnson does seem to have surgery every season or at least not play a full one. That doesn't explain the one batter one pitcher that is what makes baseball very very hard to watch at times.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Florissant, Mo.
    Posts
    16,787
    Quote Originally Posted by Brooklyn View Post
    Back to Santana, the mets still haven't scored while he's been in the game. He could easily by 3-1.
    Yeah, Wainwright has zero runs of support (while on the mound) in 4 starts too. Strange.
    1885 1886 1926 1931 1934 1942 1944 1946 1964 1967 1982 2006 2011

    1887 1888 1928 1930 1943 1968 1985 1987 2004 2013

    1996 2000 2001 2002 2005 2009 2012


    The Top 100 Pitchers In MLB History
    The Top 100 Position Players In MLB History

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Brooklyn, USA
    Posts
    3,616
    Santana's 11 strikeouts
    4/24/12: Johan Santana collects 11 strikeouts over 6 2/3 strong innings of one-run ball against the Marlins

    http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=20891831
    "Hitting is timing. Pitching is upsetting timing." - Warren Spahn

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •