Results 1 to 20 of 20

Thread: 2012 Brewers Season Thread

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Long Island, NY
    Posts
    5,458
    Blog Entries
    4

    2012 Brewers Season Thread

    'Tis the season. Feel free to discuss the 2012 Brewers season here.


    Put it in the books.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Brooklyn, USA
    Posts
    4,368
    I think the Brewers should have signed Casey Kotchman. While he's not a great hitter, he's good defensively and could help improve the Brewers defense which has given up many runs in last year's playoffs. He also adds a left-handed bat to the Brewers lineup which I still feels is still too heavily righty biased. The Indians signed him for a one year deal at three million dollars.
    The Mets have the best, smartest fans in baseball.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Milwaukee, WI
    Posts
    1,797
    I agree it would have been a good fit, but I think the Brewers were taken off guard when K-Rod accepted salary arbitration. Also, they paid the posting fee to Japan to get Aoki. Remember the bidding via the posting system is blind and I don't know if the Brewers expected to be the high bid for Aoki when they won with a $2.5 million bid. So, suddenly, they had to tender an offer to K-Rod when everybody expected him to go to free agency, and they also had to negotiate with Aoki.

    Plus, I think the Brewers want to give Mat Gamel a vote of confidence. He was told going into the season that the first basemen's job is his and his alone, so he doesn't have to worry about getting replaced in the lineup after every bad at-bat. Maybe signing a veteran 1B like Kotchman would of been a blow to Gamel's confidence, I dunno.

    Regarding that, I have noticed that they have been taking Gamel out late in games in exchange for Travis Ishikawa. Strange that they're taking out Gamel in the 6th and 7th inning when they went out of their way to say that the 1B job was his and his alone.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinWI View Post
    I agree it would have been a good fit, but I think the Brewers were taken off guard when K-Rod accepted salary arbitration. Also, they paid the posting fee to Japan to get Aoki. Remember the bidding via the posting system is blind and I don't know if the Brewers expected to be the high bid for Aoki when they won with a $2.5 million bid. So, suddenly, they had to tender an offer to K-Rod when everybody expected him to go to free agency, and they also had to negotiate with Aoki.

    Plus, I think the Brewers want to give Mat Gamel a vote of confidence. He was told going into the season that the first basemen's job is his and his alone, so he doesn't have to worry about getting replaced in the lineup after every bad at-bat. Maybe signing a veteran 1B like Kotchman would of been a blow to Gamel's confidence, I dunno.

    Regarding that, I have noticed that they have been taking Gamel out late in games in exchange for Travis Ishikawa. Strange that they're taking out Gamel in the 6th and 7th inning when they went out of their way to say that the 1B job was his and his alone.
    In response to your concern that Mat is being replaced late in games by Ishikawa: game 1 Travis goes to RF, game 2 Travis pinch hits only, game 3 Travis replaces Mat after the 5th inn in a double switch and has 2 ab's, [game4 DNP, game 5 Travis only pinch hits, game 6 DNP, game 7 Travis comes in on a double-switch after 7th inn, game 8 Travis PH only, game 9 DNP

    This does not concern me at all.
    Last edited by hoophead; 04-15-2012 at 02:08 PM. Reason: accuracy

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Milwaukee, WI
    Posts
    1,797
    Quote Originally Posted by hoophead View Post
    In response to your concern that Mat is being replaced late in games by Ishikawa: game 1 Travis goes to RF, game 2 Travis pinch hits only, game 3 Travis replaces Mat after the 5th inn in a double switch and has 2 ab's, [game4 DNP, game 5 Travis only pinch hits, game 6 DNP, game 7 Travis comes in on a double-switch after 7th inn, game 8 Travis PH only, game 9 DNP

    This does not concern me at all.
    You do know I wrote that after the third game of the season, right?

    In retrospect, Ron Roenicke does seem to be leaving Gamel in for the entire games.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinWI View Post
    You do know I wrote that after the third game of the season, right?

    In retrospect, Ron Roenicke does seem to be leaving Gamel in for the entire games.
    OK.
    You do know three games does not constitute a decent sample, right?

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Milwaukee, WI
    Posts
    1,797
    Quote Originally Posted by hoophead View Post
    OK.
    You do know three games does not constitute a decent sample, right?
    Are you trying to pick a fight?

    I was wondering why the manager would assure his 1B that the starting position was his. Then take him out for a defensive replacement halfway through two our of three games.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinWI View Post
    Are you trying to pick a fight?

    I was wondering why the manager would assure his 1B that the starting position was his. Then take him out for a defensive replacement halfway through two our of three games.
    Am quite sorry you feel this way, Kevin
    It's just that you are wrong, again, with your observation.
    Look at my response, above, pointing out that only once, the third game, was where Mat was replaced on the field.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Milwaukee, WI
    Posts
    1,797
    Time to panic? Everybody in Milwaukee seems to be jumping off the Brewers boat after their poor start.

    Maybe not. They're 13-18 now. On this day last year, they were 16-20. And they went on to win the division.

    Of course, they're missing Fielder, but a lot of the other pieces are still there.

    The pitching is start to come around. I think they can come around salvage the season.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Brooklyn, USA
    Posts
    4,368
    I think the Brewers can become the Tampa Bay Rays of the NL Central.

    - cheap farm grown talent
    - good pitching
    - solid defense/run prevention
    - position shifting
    - innovative manager and front office
    The Mets have the best, smartest fans in baseball.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Milwaukee, WI
    Posts
    1,797
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue387 View Post
    I think the Brewers can become the Tampa Bay Rays of the NL Central.

    - cheap farm grown talent
    - good pitching
    - solid defense/run prevention
    - position shifting
    - innovative manager and front office
    Well, the Brewers have had good fan support too, something that has alluded the Rays even in good years. Brewers have had 3 million fans 3 of the last 4 years, and have always been highly rated in per capita TV ratings.

    But, I agree, I think the Brewers could be a good small market team, like the old Minnesota Twins or the Rays.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Brooklyn, USA
    Posts
    4,368
    Brewers lose 3-1 to the Mets in New York.
    The Mets have the best, smartest fans in baseball.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Brooklyn, USA
    Posts
    4,368
    I have an idea: how about acquiring Ruben Gotay from the Blue Jays?

    Gotay was an infielder for the Royals, Mets and Cardinals and is currently playing in AAA for the Blue Jays. He is currently batting .348/.436/.379/.815 in the PCL and I think he could be a benefit to the Brewers. The team's middle infield appears to be just Izturis, Ranson and Weeks. Gotay could play second and would also be cheap.
    The Mets have the best, smartest fans in baseball.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Brooklyn, USA
    Posts
    4,368
    If the Brewers do trade Grienke for prospects, I hope it will be like the haul Texas got from Atlanta for Mark Teixeira.
    The Mets have the best, smartest fans in baseball.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Brooklyn, USA
    Posts
    4,368
    K-Rod blew another save.
    The Mets have the best, smartest fans in baseball.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Far NE Philadelphia
    Posts
    5,710
    Cold blooded... Randy Wolf was released today on his 36th birthday.
    "Chuckie doesn't take on 2-0. Chuckie's hackin'." - Chuck Carr two days prior to being released by the Milwaukee Brewers

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Brooklyn, USA
    Posts
    4,368
    Corey Hart hits a walk-off home run versus the Pirates.
    The Mets have the best, smartest fans in baseball.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Brooklyn, USA
    Posts
    4,368
    The Brewers have won 17 of their last 22 games.
    The Mets have the best, smartest fans in baseball.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Brooklyn, USA
    Posts
    4,368
    Bob Uecker made Ed Coleman laugh on Mets Extra, the radio pregame show.
    The Mets have the best, smartest fans in baseball.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Brooklyn, USA
    Posts
    4,368
    Brewers lose heartbreaking game to Reds 2-1.
    The Mets have the best, smartest fans in baseball.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •