Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 2012 Cubs Season Thread

Blog Entries
    Who are these FA the Cubs will be adding in the years to come? Good free agents are becoming rarer and rarer these days as teams lock up more and more of their players.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by The Uncoach View Post
    Oh my. Did these guys sign Soriano? Who was available? Did you want Zambrano back or is it OK that he isn't in Wrigley any longer? How about comparing Epstein's moves of getting Ortiz, Meuller and Millar, which put them over the top and got them a WS victory? He went out and got Papelbon, Lester and Beckett as pitchers, etc. They don't all work out, but why would you have expected this mgmt team to get some bigtime FA's this year? It was time to thin the herd, not add to it.
    You seem to misunderstand every statement I make here, amazing. The point I was making was the stupid free agents the Cubs have added over the years to point out we do not need to add free agents, but build up the farm system

Quote Originally Posted by Cap78 View Post
    You seem to misunderstand every statement I make here, amazing. The point I was making was the stupid free agents the Cubs have added over the years to point out we do not need to add free agents, but build up the farm system
    I haven't misunderstood your posting. I believe they will be competitive in 3 years. You say it's 5 simply because the farm hands need that time to work through the system. Every team adds free agents to fill holes. It makes no difference how well built the farm system is, but yes, the farm system needs some attention.
    Last edited by The Uncoach; 06-01-2012 at 01:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ubiquitous View Post
    Who are these FA the Cubs will be adding in the years to come? Good free agents are becoming rarer and rarer these days as teams lock up more and more of their players.
    I will not be answering your question as my name is not Hoyer or Epstein.

Wow, Ron Santos's widow is hot!

But seriously, my father said Ron not being in the Hall of Fame was a true misjustice. He should have been in years ago.
    Fan of The NY Mets!

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck The Mets Fan! View Post
    Wow, Ron Santos's widow is hot!

But seriously, my father said Ron not being in the Hall of Fame was a true misjustice. He should have been in years ago.
    This Red Sox fan has been screaming for years that Santo should be in Cooperstowmn.
    Man, do I *HATE* the Yankees!!!!!!

Kerry Wood might return to Cubs as instructor:
    http://www.suntimes.com/sports/baseb...rs-return.html
    The Mets have the best, smartest fans in baseball.

Well Im just glad clean players are making it into the Hall and not juicers. Santo played clean and Hard. I personally watched him his entire career. He always had a Love affair with the Cubs, the fans, the game.

I dont know what Kerry Woods is going to instruct. The Cubs are short of icons right now and they are trying to create one of him to take the fans minds off of a 100+ loss season.
    "Let me start by telling you this: I have never used steroids. Period. I don't know how to say it any more clearly than that. Never."

how do you judge the future of the team?

the team actually has some promising young players. pitching is pathetic but there are some young hitters. I think they should try to build a team around castro and rizzo. For the next 2 seasons I don't see any big FA additions. I think in fact it is going to get worse, a lot of salary dumping and farm stocking. I can't see them lose less than 100 in the net 2 years.

however if they draft well and bring up some talent up the farm I can see them going a way like the nats in 3-4 years. but for that they really need smart farm managing.
    I think walks are overrated unless you can run. If you get a walk and put the pitcher in a stretch, that helps, but the guy who walks and cant run, most of the time hes clogging up the bases for somebody who can run. Dusty Baker.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123