Thread: 2012 Rockies Season Thread

2012 Rockies Season Thread

I lost track of the Rockies' roster moves sometime in January. So, that being said, I have no idea how the team is going to do this year.

They seem to have gotten a whole lot of young pitchers. If they can come up with a good starting rotation out of all of them, they should be fine. If not, then it's going to be a long season.
    Rockies fan living in Texas

I think the Rox have a legitimate shot at winning the NL West. They've tightened up the infield and have a great stockpile of former A's pitchers. I'm looking foward to the season - I only wish I could head out to Spring Training this year.
    We own the West!

Trusted Traders: ttmman21, Dalkowski110, BoofBonser26, Kearns643, HudsonHarden, Extra Innings, MadHatter, Mike D., J.P., SShifflett

We'll see what's up.

Scutaro at second is an upgrade. Although Ellis was also an improvement.

The catcher's spot is up for grabs, and that has been a hole since Torrealba was moved on. He was no Johnny Bench, but he brought some swagger to the team.

First base is in shambles. Helton aged 15 years in the last 5, and Giambi, for all of his kick ass and take names later attitude is a liability.

Third base is an embarrassment. We'll see who nestles in there.

The outfield is the (outside of shortstop) Rockies area of strength. Unfortunately I don't see Seth Smith listed on the 2012 roster. I apparently missed a trade somewhere? So Gonzales, Fowler and Blackmon in the outfield can still be effective both offensively and defensively. Going to miss Smith though.

The key to Colordao though is Jim Tracy. I read on other communities where many posters were "shocked" he is returning. I know at times last season I was bewildered at his decisions. But, I'm sitting on a couch drinking a Diet Coke and he's doing it "real time".

Good luck to them.

Quote Originally Posted by Iso7x View Post
    We'll see what's up.

Scutaro at second is an upgrade. Although Ellis was also an improvement.

The catcher's spot is up for grabs, and that has been a hole since Torrealba was moved on. He was no Johnny Bench, but he brought some swagger to the team.

First base is in shambles. Helton aged 15 years in the last 5, and Giambi, for all of his kick ass and take names later attitude is a liability.

Third base is an embarrassment. We'll see who nestles in there.

The outfield is the (outside of shortstop) Rockies area of strength. Unfortunately I don't see Seth Smith listed on the 2012 roster. I apparently missed a trade somewhere? So Gonzales, Fowler and Blackmon in the outfield can still be effective both offensively and defensively. Going to miss Smith though.

The key to Colordao though is Jim Tracy. I read on other communities where many posters were "shocked" he is returning. I know at times last season I was bewildered at his decisions. But, I'm sitting on a couch drinking a Diet Coke and he's doing it "real time".

Good luck to them.
    Pretty fair assessment. As much as I like Helton, his time is up. Look for him to be bought out after the season. Seth Smith was traded to the A's for Outman & Moscoso. This was a good move for Colorado - the pitching staff has depth and many options. 3B won't be as bad I as thought. Casey Blake is no Evan Longoria but he can produce. Lastly, the Rox added Michael Cuddyer and he'll play RF. He has the potential to hit 30HR now that he'll be in Denver half the time. Overall the Rox are looking good starting the year.
    We own the West!

Trusted Traders: ttmman21, Dalkowski110, BoofBonser26, Kearns643, HudsonHarden, Extra Innings, MadHatter, Mike D., J.P., SShifflett

Blake was released two days ago? We'll see where they go from there. O'Dowd claimed on RootRM earlier this week (The Winter Meetings Special) that they did not have a "winning culture", which is true. Cudyer, combined with Tulowitzki, should help with that. The past 2-3 years too many of their players seemed to be "awe shucks"ing it when things didn't go well.

Sad to see Street, Spilbourghs and Smith gone, but they did, as previously mentioned, pick up some arms from Oakland. As well as Jamie Moyer.

Opening Day is almost here. I'll be taking my boys on that four and a half hour drive to Houston tomorrow to see the Rockies play on Opening Day. It has been 14 years since I've seen the Rox open a season...

Quote Originally Posted by Danielh41 View Post
    Opening Day is almost here. I'll be taking my boys on that four and a half hour drive to Houston tomorrow to see the Rockies play on Opening Day. It has been 14 years since I've seen the Rox open a season...
    Sounds like a good time - have a safe trip... Enjoy!
    We own the West!

Well, Moyer didn't look too bad this evening. Better defense would have made his start look more competative. I am hoping the comedy of errors that happened this evening isn't a spector of things to come. I'm not going to watch it, but after tonight's game ROOT Rocky Mountain will be broadcasting a "special" in which apparently Dan O'Dowd will be explaing his off season moves. He may be on the hot seat as well as Jim Tracy.

Rockies 1-2

Opening weekend wasn't kind to the Purples. One and Two coming out of Houston. On another note Jiminez 7 innings two pitched earned runs for Cleveland, and Hammel wins his first for Baltimore, and looked really good doing it. Hindsight is 20-20, but I'm not sure Dan O'Dowd strengthened his roration this year, and I hope the Jamie Moyer novelty isn't a publicity stunt, and at 49 he's taking a roster spot that a kid from AAA can be filling. Nothing against Moyer, and he didn't look bad, but a mid-season release won't look good at Blake Street.

I went to Opening Day, and the Astros committed four errors on their way to giving that game to the Rockies (although Tulo's 9th inning home run was majestic). I didn't see the second game, but I'm sure the Rockies' three errors didn't help their cause. I watched part of the third game on TV and saw that awful throwing error by our third baseman in the 8th inning that pretty much moved that game from the win column to the loss column. It just looked like two bad teams playing each other... The Rockies should be better than this.

Two errors in the 5th for the Rockies. I must reiterate what Drew Goodman just said, it is a 162 game season, but, so far not so good. Hopefully this is just a first week funk.

The Rockies sure did make Barry Zito and Madison Bumgarner look good in this last series. At least they pounded on Lincecum...

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/gameday/index...recap&c_id=col

At 49 years, 150 days old, Moyer became the oldest pitcher to record a win in MLB history!!! Way to go Jamie!!

This beats the old record set at 49 year and 70 days by Jack Quinn in 1932.

He was facing players who were not even alive when he started pitching in the majors... Wow!

It was win #268 for him.

Looks like from here on out, Moyer will be breaking his own record each time he gets a "W." And I'm all for it - I hope he throws till he's 80. Hard to believe his career has started in 1986. Since then I've graduated from middle school, high school, earned two degrees, worked 6 different jobs, bought a house and moved across the country. It's mind blowing!
    We own the West!

Yes, Moyer looked like a a 39 year old out there didn't he? (Nyuk, Nyuk...) The team as a whole appears to be turning around. Two out of three in Milwaukee is good. Possible snow in Pittsburg tomorrow. It's going to be a fight all season.

Another great start from Jamie Moyer last night, though to no avail...

He threw 6 innings, only giving up 1 run. He allowed the Pirates leadoff hitter (Presley) score in the 1st inning and then just shut them down. He gave up 6 hits, 3 walks with 3 SO as well.

We all know that his weakness is the HR, so when he keeps the ball down and in the park he still at age 49 has a chance to win and last night he had more GB than FB and obviously was quite effective.

He is clearly the most effective pitcher on the team with a 2.28 ERA so far, an ERA which is less than half of any of the other starters on this team.

He has posted a 0.69 ERA over his last 2 starts.

Jorge De La Rosa (elbow) had to leave his rehab start with High-A Modesto Wednesday early after being hit on his right hand by a line drive in the third inning.

We were wondering why De La Rosa only threw 45 pitches after he threw 65-70 in an extended spring training game last week. The good news is that he was able to finish the inning, and his removal was merely precautionary. He threw 20 more pitches in the bullpen after the game to get all his work in and reached 94 mph on the radar gun during the outing. De La Rosa will start for Modesto again Monday before joining the Rockies in San Diego so the team can take a look at his arm and also gauge his progress during a bullpen session.

The Rockies may be at the bottom of the pile but they are at least leading (at the moment) against the Marlins today!

Moyer seems to be outpitching Mark Buehrle at the moment!

Quote Originally Posted by Edgartohof View Post
    The Rockies may be at the bottom of the pile but they are at least leading (at the moment) against the Marlins today!

Moyer seems to be outpitching Mark Buehrle at the moment!
    That didn't last very long. The very moment I turned the game on last night, Moyer, on the very first pitch I saw, gave up a grand slam to Stanton. I didn't watch much more after that...

What a surprise season this has been? The pitching staff is in shambles, the hitting is woeful, and 3rd base and 2nd base are still unaddressed in a permanent manner. I thought Scutaro would bring more to 2nd. I'm not sure 16-25 was something anyone saw coming. Maybe they can salvage the last 3/4's of the season and make it respectable?

It would be very easy (something which I have done) to blame Jim Tracy for all of this, but the players need to bear the responsibility of not getting their jobs done.

At least last night all you folks in Colordao got 7 tacos for $1.
    Last edited by Iso7x; 05-24-2012 at 08:14 AM.

Hey, the Rockies just completed a four-game sweep. Of course, it was only against the Astros...

Then they got pasted by the Angels. Next is Oakland. Oakland isn't spectacular, but they can pitch. If this season for the Rockies were a TV series it would be cancelled.
    Take a good look (at Jim Tracy), you won't see him for long! (my play on Drew Goodman's homerun call...)

This has been a horrible season for the Rockies. Luckily for me, I'm living in Fort Worth, and the team around here is doing just fine. We will be taking our family vacation the third week of August to the city of Chicago, where we will see the Rockies play the Cubs on Aug. 24th.

We did make it to the Cubs-Rockies game at Wrigley Field on August 24th. We all had a great time even though the Rockies lost 5-3. I decided to take video of a few pitches in Cargo's second at-bat and wound up getting a home run on video...