Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ozzie Guillen's recent comments

Ozzie Guillen's recent comments

Quick summary for those who missed it:
    Quote Originally Posted by ESPN
    Guillen told Time magazine for an article published last week that he loves Castro and respects him for staying in power so long. The Marlins subsequently issued a statement clarifying that the organization has no respect for Castro, calling him "a brutal dictator who has caused unthinkable pain for more than 50 years.
    Given the market he is in, I think the Marlins would be shooting themselves in the foot if they don't fine and suspend him. With the off-season rebranding and big spending, the Marlins can't afford the boycotts that are already being talked about in Miami.

Do you think his comments are some of his most offensive, or at least his most boneheaded based on where he is? How should the Marlins react, besides issuing a statement apologizing for Ozzie?

you pretty much have to be braindead to get a job in the city that hates Castro the most of any in this entire country (and it's obviously not even close) and make comments like that.

It's almost unbelievable how dumb you actually have to be. You can't make this stuff up sometimes....
    "all the mets road wins against the dodgers this year have occured at Dodger Stadium"---Ralph Kiner

"Blind people came to the park just to listen to him pitch"---Reggie Jackson, talking about Tom Seaver

I think Chavez is using one of his citizens to stir up trouble in the US...

Ozzie already starting a **** storm and were only 3-4 games into the season.

Hey Guillen is entitled to his opinion. It's a free country, and there's a thing called the First Amendment (free speech).

Just think of all this hatred for Castro precipitated one of our own Presidents getting murdered. Because the CIA tried to assassinate Castro, Kennedy left them hanging on the Bay of Pigs and then began working toward eliminating the CIA altogether, which in turn contributed to the internal decision within the CIA to turn around and kill Kennedy themselves!

All this contempt for some dude with a beard on an island out in the Caribbean.

Quote Originally Posted by Seattle1 View Post
    Hey Guillen is entitled to his opinion. It's a free country, and there's a thing called the First Amendment (free speech).

Just think of all this hatred for Castro precipitated one of our own Presidents getting murdered. Because the CIA tried to assassinate Castro, Kennedy left them hanging on the Bay of Pigs and then began working toward eliminating the CIA altogether, which in turn contributed to the internal decision within the CIA to turn around and kill Kennedy themselves!

Are you another consperciy theroiest?

Nothing about this has anything to do with the first amendment.

I don't think Guillen's comments are offensive, but considering the market he is working in they weren't very smart.

Legally he can say whatever he wants. But he's employed by the Marlins and made comments that could be extremely offensive to their fans, potentially costing the Marlins organization millions of dollars.

Just because you can say something doesn't mean their are no repercussions for it. If Ozzie gets off with an apology, he's lucky.

Blog Entries

Here we go....

Quote Originally Posted by YankeeDJW View Post
    Do you think his comments are some of his most offensive, or at least his most boneheaded based on where he is? How should the Marlins react, besides issuing a statement apologizing for Ozzie?
    Offensive? No, not to me, anyway.

Boneheaded? Yes, amazingly boneheaded. Cubans love baseball. I would assume the Marlins have a huge Cuban fan base, and none of them agree with Ozzie on this point. Not the first time he's spouted an opinion in public without thinking or evidently caring about the possible repercussions.
    "Tactics were resorted to, unworthy of fair, manly players" - Brooklyn Eagle, June 12,1890

Quote Originally Posted by YankeeDJW View Post
    Legally he can say whatever he wants. But he's employed by the Marlins and made comments that could be extremely offensive to their fans, potentially costing the Marlins organization millions of dollars.

Just because you can say something doesn't mean their are no repercussions for it. If Ozzie gets off with an apology, he's lucky.
    They'll make that money back when they sell off this team in 1-3 years.
    "I go all out, and I'm going to bring that to the table everyday. In good times and in bad times." - Eric Byrnes
    "As long as I have fun playing, the stats will take care of themselves." - Ken Griffey Jr.
    "I saw Nolan Ryan throw 212 pitches in 11 innings one day. It messed him up so bad, he had to retire 16 years later at 46." - Reggie Jackson
    "The value of a stat is directly proportional to how good it makes Steve Garvey look." - Nerdlinger

What a freaking idiot!!!!!!! You cannot praise a guy as brutal as Castro especially in a city which is loaded with Cuban refugees.
    Just call me a sports fan.

I'm sure he could easily be replaced. His intelligence level surely cannot be that high.

Bring back McKeon.
    Chop! Chop! Chop!

Well that statement hardly takes into consideration all the lives Castro has affected negatively in 60-years of harsh dictatorship. And yes, Guillen is entittled to free speech, but he should be prepared to accept the consequences of his words, and in that part of this country, those are some hard words to hear. A lot of people suffered a lot of hardship because of that man, and Guillen has ruffled a lot of feathers, feathers of people who buy tickets and merchandise I might add. I would not be surprised if Ozzie is unable to ride this one out.
    San Francisco Giants, World Series Champions in 2010 and 2012

Fire Bam Bam! Hire The Thrill!!

Quote Originally Posted by ol' aches and pains View Post
    Offensive? No, not to me, anyway.

Boneheaded? Yes, amazingly boneheaded. Cubans love baseball. I would assume the Marlins have a huge Cuban fan base, and none of them agree with Ozzie on this point. Not the first time he's spouted an opinion in public without thinking or evidently caring about the possible repercussions.
    Maybe not to you, but to a whole lot of people they sure as heck were.
    San Francisco Giants, World Series Champions in 2010 and 2012

Fire Bam Bam! Hire The Thrill!!

Quote Originally Posted by Rich the Giants fan View Post
    Well that statement hardly takes into consideration all the lives Castro has affected negatively in 60-years of harsh dictatorship. And yes, Guillen is entittled to free speech, but he should be prepared to accept the consequences of his words, and in that part of this country, those are some hard words to hear. A lot of people suffered a lot of hardship because of that man, and Guillen has ruffled a lot of feathers, feathers of people who buy tickets and merchandise I might add. I would not be surprised if Ozzie is unable to ride this one out.
    Please, the Cubans were essentially slaves to the U.S. agriculture companies before the rebellion. If they had attempted to install a democratic government it would have been infiltrated and manipulated quickly and effectively by and for western business interests.
    "I go all out, and I'm going to bring that to the table everyday. In good times and in bad times." - Eric Byrnes
    "As long as I have fun playing, the stats will take care of themselves." - Ken Griffey Jr.
    "I saw Nolan Ryan throw 212 pitches in 11 innings one day. It messed him up so bad, he had to retire 16 years later at 46." - Reggie Jackson
    "The value of a stat is directly proportional to how good it makes Steve Garvey look." - Nerdlinger

Was anybody saying that Ozzie should be arrested or charged with a crime for his comments? No. Like Ed said, that's what the First Amendment protects. The Marlins are within their rights to fire or suspend Ozzie for what he said.

Please spare us your High Times geopolitical analysis.

Quote Originally Posted by bluesky5 View Post
    Please, the Cubans were essentially slaves to the U.S. agriculture companies before the rebellion. If they had attempted to install a democratic government it would have been infiltrated and manipulated quickly and effectively by and for western business interests.
    Then by your Ron Paul logic, we're all essentially slaves to whatever US company we work for.

Didn't know we had so many tinfoil hat wearers on this message board.

Ozzie does realize that about 60% if not more of Miami is Cuban right? You need a dam translater in Miami international Airport let alone in the city itself.

Quote Originally Posted by bluesky5 View Post
    I know you can't be serious.....

Blog Entries
    Does anyone know if Gaby Sanchez has shared his thoughts on this? He is a Cuban-American.
    Using a stolen chant from Boston Celtics fans whenever an L.A. team is playing up there just reeks of inferiority complex.

If hitting a baseball is the toughest thing to do in sports, then pitching must be the easiest thing to do in sports.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich the Giants fan View Post
    Maybe not to you, but to a whole lot of people they sure as heck were.
    Which I acknowledged in the second part of my post that you quoted.
    Last edited by ol' aches and pains; 04-10-2012 at 06:31 AM.
    "Tactics were resorted to, unworthy of fair, manly players" - Brooklyn Eagle, June 12,1890

And now the Marlins have suspended him for 5 games.
    Lets Go Yankees, Valley Cats, Dutchmen, UT Spartans and ECU Pirates.

Quote Originally Posted by KevinWI View Post
    Then by your Ron Paul logic, we're all essentially slaves to whatever US company we work for.

Didn't know we had so many tinfoil hat wearers on this message board.
    I'm not a hippie or a conspiracy theorist, what I said is true. Talk to the guy who thinks the CIA shot Kennedy or the guy who is outraged that a non-Cuban isn't offended by those comments.

By my logic if your job entails working 14 hours a day in the Caribbean, being watched by men with whips and returning to your one room grass hut on 2 cents a week then yea your a slave to your company.

Quote Originally Posted by GiambiJuice View Post
    Here we go....
    No we don't . . .

No more theories or personal opinions on Cuba and/or political policies, please. As always. Thanks.
    Bill Tom George Mark Bob Ernie Soupy Alex Sparky
    Joe Gary MCA Emanuel Sonny Dave Earl Stan
    Jonathan Neil Roger Anthony Ray Thomas Art Don
    Gates Philip John Warrior Rik Casey Tony Horace
    JEDI

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast