Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Ozzie Guillen's recent comments

Ozzie was suspended by the marlins for 5 games.

His quote was translated from Spanish to English and there must have been some kind of overlap. You shouldn't be suspended for speaking your mind and being misunderstood.

Quote Originally Posted by CokeMachineGlow View Post
    His quote was translated from Spanish to English and there must have been some kind of overlap. You shouldn't be suspended for speaking your mind and being misunderstood.
    I don't think he was misunderstood. The context, according to one ESPN article, is that he was admiring Castro for persevering over the years despite being hated so much. That's something to which he relates.

Even with that context, it's very, very hard to ignore that he admires a dictator in some way.

I can see this turning into how the Marlins are preventing free speech and blah blah blah

Quote Originally Posted by RaysFan_98 View Post
    I can see this turning into how the Marlins are preventing free speech and blah blah blah
    Preventing free speech, my behind. People can say whatever they want; that is not an issue. What they have to worry about is the backlash from what they say. Guillen's words have potentially serious consequences for the Marlins organization, and he seems to understand that now.

Quote Originally Posted by SamtheBravesFan View Post
    I don't think he was misunderstood. The context, according to one ESPN article, is that he was admiring Castro for persevering over the years despite being hated so much. That's something to which he relates.

Even with that context, it's very, very hard to ignore that he admires a dictator in some way.
    Spanish doesn't translate directly into perfect English grammar and context can be skewed significantly. Guillen himself is very stressed out by the situation and didn't really expect this kind of backlash. I think the whole thing is a huge misunderstanding.

Blog Entries
    Off-topic: I understand that Ozzie was introduced as the Marlins manager before te 2011 season ended, so did he manage the few remaining games last year for the Marlins?
    Using a stolen chant from Boston Celtics fans whenever an L.A. team is playing up there just reeks of inferiority complex.

If hitting a baseball is the toughest thing to do in sports, then pitching must be the easiest thing to do in sports.

"Fidel Castro, he's a bull--dictator and everybody's against him, and he still survives, has power. Still has a country behind him. Everywhere he goes they roll out the red carpet. I don't admire his philosophy. I admire him."

--Ozzie Guillen, Mens Journal, 2008

It's hard to buy Ozzie's backtracking when this isn't the first time he's praised Castro in a public article.
    I see great things in baseball. It's our game - the American game.
    - Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by jnakamura View Post
    "Fidel Castro, he's a bull--dictator and everybody's against him, and he still survives, has power. Still has a country behind him. Everywhere he goes they roll out the red carpet. I don't admire his philosophy. I admire him."

It's hard to buy Ozzie's backtracking when this isn't the first time he's praised Castro in a public article.
    Hm, I may be wrong then.

Quote Originally Posted by Seattle1 View Post
    Hey Guillen is entitled to his opinion. It's a free country, and there's a thing called the First Amendment (free speech).

Just think of all this hatred for Castro precipitated one of our own Presidents getting murdered. Because the CIA tried to assassinate Castro, Kennedy left them hanging on the Bay of Pigs and then began working toward eliminating the CIA altogether, which in turn contributed to the internal decision within the CIA to turn around and kill Kennedy themselves!

All this contempt for some dude with a beard on an island out in the Caribbean.
    Well seeing as how he invited the soviets to deliver nukes to his island that could have hit the continental US and nearly caused a nuclear holocaust, as well as leaves half his country in poverty I think the contempt for him is well founded.
    unknown brooklyn cabbie " how are the brooks doin"
    unknown fan "good they got three men on base"
    unknown brooklyn cabbie "which one?"

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Cold Nose View Post
    No we don't . . .

No more theories or personal opinions on Cuba and/or political policies, please. As always. Thanks.
    Sorry, I replied before I read this. On the topic, I'm glad he was suspended for 5 games. Truely idiotic to say those comments. Who gives a crap what he thinks, but dumb to alienate his own fan base.

And teh Soviets did so because we placed nukes in Turkey

I find it ironic that descendents of the regime ousted by Castro who used power,influence and money to place sanctions and embargoes on Cuba are the ones up in arms. he stated something not so controversial but due to misquotes by our biased,incompetent and lazy mass media....is being persecuted. A tactic Castro used often in the 70's to get rid of dissentors

Quote Originally Posted by Seattle1 View Post
    Hey Guillen is entitled to his opinion. It's a free country, and there's a thing called the First Amendment (free speech).
    This is true - but there is a difference between free speech and using that as a crutch to be a jerk... This guy just craves attention!
    WAR? Prove it!

Trusted Traders: ttmman21, Dalkowski110, BoofBonser26, Kearns643, HudsonHarden, Extra Innings, MadHatter, Mike D., J.P., SShifflett

Quote Originally Posted by Imapotato View Post
    ....he stated something not so controversial...
    Baloney.

For the manager of MLB team, based in a city made up of 50% Cuban-Americans, saying on not one, but TWO separate occasions, that he loves and admires Fidel Castro and not realizing that that would be a controversial statement is very naive on your part.

Ozzie wasn't misquoted. He admitted saying it.

There might be room for doubt if this was a one-time occurrence...but it wasn't. He said it in 2008, and said it again in 2012--both times in public, not private conversations. To me, and many others, that seals the deal and proves where his true feelings lie.

He's only saying what he's saying now because he HAS to in order to save his job--NOT because he didn't really mean what he said.
    - Walt Whitman

Spanish doesn't translate directly into perfect English grammar and context can be skewed significantly. Guillen himself is very stressed out by the situation and didn't really expect this kind of backlash. I think the whole thing is a huge misunderstanding.

THAT is so CORRECT
    I remember a few years ago when ozzie call one of his players a maricone and loco
    for spanish speakers that is nothing, it just a way of saying hi or hey bro
    but if you translate that into american english
    the first word, you just don't call any man in a 25 men team that
    and the other word translates into crazy
    the head lines on the news were that ozzie stated that one of his players
    was not only crazy, but that he also question the player choice of sexual partners
    TOTALLLY and COMPLETELY WRONG

HECK, even the Queens English sometimes doesn't translate into american english
    here in nyc a while back
    a british tourist ask a person that was smoking a cigarette
    if he could have one.
    but the tourist use the slang word that they used in england for cigarette
    the new yorker did not like the word (same translation as maricone above) and beat up the tourist
    No charges were file as it was a complete misunderstanding
    Last edited by drdg; 04-10-2012 at 01:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by drdg View Post
    THAT is so CORRECT
    I remember a few years ago when ozzie call one of his players a maricone and loco
    for spanish speakers that is nothing, it just a way of saying hi or hey bro
    but if you translate that into american english
    the first word, you just don't call any man in a 25 men team that
    and the other word translates into crazy
    the head lines on the news were that ozzie stated that one of his players
    was not only crazy, but that he also question the player choice of sexual partners
    TOTALLLY and COMPLETELY WRONG

HECK, even the Queens English sometimes doesn't translate into american english
    here in nyc a while back
    a british tourist ask a person that was smoking a cigarette
    if he could have one.
    but the tourist use the slang word that they used in england for cigarette
    the new yorker did not like the word (same tranlation as maricone above) and beat up the tourist
    No charges were file as it was a complete misunderstanding
    Apples and oranges.

Ozzie's English skills aren't bad enough to "misunderstand" what he said and meant in 2008, and again last month.
    - Walt Whitman

Apples and oranges.

Ozzie's English skills aren't bad enough to "misunderstand" what he said and meant in 2008, and again last month.
    Colin Cowherd made that point this morning, as well.

The poor English skills might be an acceptable excuse if Guillen had not been working in some capacity in MLB for over a quarter-century.

I think what has been "misinterpretted", perhaps, as is common with quoted language regardless of the native speaker is Guillen's take. He is not advocating the Cuban model of government or Castro's tactics but the fact the man has been there 50 years plus. Which is kind of like admiring Hitler for his public-speaking skills.

You're in South Florida. There are certain things you don't say.
    Bill Tom George Mark Bob Ernie Soupy Dick Alex Sparky
    Joe Gary MCA Emanuel Sonny Dave Earl Stan
    Jonathan Neil Roger Anthony Ray Thomas Art Don
    Gates Philip John Warrior Rik Casey Tony Horace
    Robin JEDI

Baloney.
    For the manager of MLB team, based in a city made up of 50% Cuban-Americans, saying on not one, but TWO separate occasions, that he loves and admires Fidel Castro and not realizing that that would be a controversial statement is very naive on your part.

Ozzie wasn't misquoted. He admitted saying it.
    There might be room for doubt if this was a one-time occurrence...but it wasn't. He said it in 2008, and said it again in 2012--both times in public, not private conversations. To me, and many others, that seals the deal and proves where his true feelings lie.

He's only saying what he's saying now because he HAS to in order to save his job--NOT because he didn't really mean what he said.
    typical ozzie
    for talking without thinking
    maybe,just maybe now he will learn his lesson
    YES, he did say that what came out of his mouth, was not what he was thinking
    even stated that he was thinking in spanish,but answered in english
    but that that was no excuse, and he takes FULL responsibility

this is the press conference, man did he take a beating from the cuban/spanish media
    http://deportes.univision.com/beisbo...dgetUimStage:2
    in spanish and english from univision

and the edited version from mlb
    http://miami.marlins.mlb.com/video/p...nt_id=20501759

he even had to answer as to WHY he said viva chavez,during a photo opp after winning the WS

and what is sad is that very latin player no matter where they are from
    are being ask what they think about what ozzie said
    it is mass hysteria for sports media in miami
    can't wait to see what will come out of this or happens
    on friday april 13 for the marlins game at home

didnt the orioles or some team play in cuba a few years ago and wasnt there a handshake between castro and either the orioles owner and/or selig?

why was that not a controversy?

a little follow up there was a game in havana in march of 1999 and selig and angelos and castro sat together

I guess you can sit with him and play his team but not say anything nice about him

weird
    Last edited by 9RoyHobbsRF; 04-10-2012 at 05:22 PM.
    1. The more I learn, the more convinced I am that many players are over-rated due to inflated stats from offensive home parks (and eras)
    2. Strat-O-Matic Baseball Player, Collector and Hobbyist since 1969, visit my strat site: http://somgamersparadiseforum.smfforfree4.com/index.php

Quote Originally Posted by 9RoyHobbsRF View Post
    didnt the orioles or some team play in cuba a few years ago and wasnt there a handshake between castro and either the orioles owner and/or selig?

why was that not a controversy?

a little follow up there was a game in havana in march of 1999 and selig and angelos and castro sat together

I guess you can sit with him and play his team but not say anything nice about him

weird
    Shaking hands with someone out of courtesy is not even close to being in the same boat as saying you love and admire them.

This is fine...

obama-gaddafi-handshake-091709-lg.jpg

Obama saying, "I love the guy! I admire Khaddafi", would be grounds for impeachment.

See how it works?
    - Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by Imapotato View Post
    And teh Soviets did so because we placed nukes in Turkey

I find it ironic that descendents of the regime ousted by Castro who used power,influence and money to place sanctions and embargoes on Cuba are the ones up in arms. he stated something not so controversial but due to misquotes by our biased,incompetent and lazy mass media....is being persecuted. A tactic Castro used often in the 70's to get rid of dissentors
    And you being from Cuba can speak for them yes?. The captain has already stated to leave the politics out.
    Last edited by theAmazingMet; 04-10-2012 at 06:28 PM.

shaking hands is not all that was done

travel to the country supposedly off limits and playing a 3 hour game and sitting in the same box with him for three hours and all you got out of it was a 3 second hand shake

some things never change
    1. The more I learn, the more convinced I am that many players are over-rated due to inflated stats from offensive home parks (and eras)
    2. Strat-O-Matic Baseball Player, Collector and Hobbyist since 1969, visit my strat site: http://somgamersparadiseforum.smfforfree4.com/index.php

Quote Originally Posted by 9RoyHobbsRF View Post
    shaking hands is not all that was done

travel to the country supposedly off limits and playing a 3 hour game and sitting in the same box with him for three hours and all you got out of it was a 3 second hand shake

some things never change
    How is sitting together in a stadium box for a few hours an endorsement of love or admiration?

When Khrushchev met with JFK there were handshakes and smiles, and they spent many hours together. Again, If JFK said he loved Khrushchev or admired Khrushchev he would have been crucified for it.

If you can't see the difference between meeting a dictator and exchanging pleasantries and saying you LOVE them and ADMIRE them, then you're out of touch.
    - Walt Whitman

Interesting! Guillen exercising his right to free speech, expresses admiration for a regime that eliminated free speech, only to have his free speech punished by people who oppose the tyrant who eliminated free speech.

No irony to see here! Move along!

Ummm... thats not praising Castro.

Yeah, Castro is a douchebag! But his ability to persevere 50+ years is impressive.THAT is what Guillen was saying. Not: Yippie, hooray, yahoo for Castro!

People get too emotional and outraged and stop being analytical.
    Last edited by doctor_gogol; 04-10-2012 at 07:04 PM.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast