Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reggie Bars

Reggie Bars

Has anyone here ever eaten a Reggie Bar? What did they taste like?
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Laser Beam View Post
    I wonder when they stopped making those. I'm pretty sure I had one as a kid but I cant remember what it tasted like. I think it had caramel in it. It must have been pretty good if it had caramel.
    "(Shoeless Joe Jackson's fall from grace is one of the real tragedies of baseball. I always thought he was more sinned against than sinning." -- Connie Mack

"I have the ultimate respect for Whitesox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Redsox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country."--Jim Caple, ESPN (Jan. 12, 2011)

Side question: Has anyone ever had a Moose Bar?
    Check out my stuff for sale on eBay! Currently selling New York Yankees, St. Louis Cardinals, Baltimore Orioles, Boston Red Sox, San Francisco Giants, Tampa Bay Rays and Washington Nationals card lots! Player lots of Tony Gwynn, Felix Hernandez, Nolan Ryan and Giancarlo Stanton! Plus a guide on how to get autographs ... for free!

My website...
    My other website...
    My other, other website...

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Laser Beam View Post
    Yeah, I have... they were chocolate covered crispy rice with caramel. I wanted to like it but I hated it because I hate caramel.
    X
    This is home now - Citi Field, capacity 41,800 - and every seat in this ballpark seemingly filled, some standees as well, anticipating a piece of history as delivered by Mike Pelfrey, the 25-year-old from Wichita, Kansas. Into a windup, his first pitch in the history of Citi Field, a fastball for a called strike to Jody Gerut. Gerut off to a .214 start with no homers and one RBI. - Howie Rose calls the very first pitch thrown at Citi Field, April 13, 2009

Quote Originally Posted by Cowtipper View Post
    Side question: Has anyone ever had a Moose Bar?
    I never heard of a Moose bar but the Reggie bar was retired in 1982. Also I never knew the Baby Ruth bar was named after Grover Clevelands kid who was named Ruth.

I'm gonna look up the Moose bar just to see what it is.
    "(Shoeless Joe Jackson's fall from grace is one of the real tragedies of baseball. I always thought he was more sinned against than sinning." -- Connie Mack

"I have the ultimate respect for Whitesox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Redsox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country."--Jim Caple, ESPN (Jan. 12, 2011)

They were much bigger than the regular candy bars too. From what I recall (memory not so good as a kid) it was over 2 oz?

I understand when you unwrapped the Reggie Bar, it would tell you how good it was.
    "Tactics were resorted to, unworthy of fair, manly players" - Brooklyn Eagle, June 12,1890

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ol' aches and pains View Post
    I understand when you unwrapped the Reggie Bar, it would tell you how good it was.
    Pretty funny

Reggie Bars were really good. They weren't really bars though. They had a circular design.

The Reggie Bar had chocolate, caramel and were topped with peanuts. It may have cost more than an average candy bar but I don't remember. I think thr average candy cost 15 or 20 cents then.

If you're familiar with the Bun candy bar, the Reggie Bar was pretty much the same as their chocolate/caramel/nut version. Or a circular Nutrageous.

I think I saw them a few years ago, rereleased for some reason.
    Bill Tom George Mark Bob Ernie Soupy Dick Alex Sparky
    Joe Gary MCA Emanuel Sonny Dave Earl Stan
    Jonathan Neil Roger Anthony Ray Thomas Art Don
    Gates Philip John Warrior Rik Casey Tony Horace
    Robin JEDI

I see great things in baseball. It's our game - the American game.
    - Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by chicagowhitesox1173 View Post
    I never heard of a Moose bar but the Reggie bar was retired in 1982. Also I never knew the Baby Ruth bar was named after Grover Clevelands kid who was named Ruth.

I'm gonna look up the Moose bar just to see what it is.
    That whole thing about Ruth Cleveland was a scam, they changed the name in 1920 when Ruth was getting huge headlines in his first year as a Yank and the poor girl had been dead for years. Babe had his own bar, think it was called something like Babe Ruth's Home Run Candy. He also had cigars, underwear, etc.

If I had known the Reggie Bar was like a Bun, I would have tried it when I was a kid...Buns were the bomb. The ballplayer food I remember most from my childhood is Ron Santo's pizza, they were really cheap and nasty and you'd see dozens of them thrown on the ground in the stands at Wrigley and stepped on after people couldn't stand to eat them or dropped them because they were too hot. I typically went for a Smokie Link or three when I could.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Cold Nose View Post
    If you're familiar with the Bun candy bar, the Reggie Bar was pretty much the same as their chocolate/caramel/nut version. Or a circular Nutrageous.

I think I saw them a few years ago, rereleased for some reason.
    It's weird because I loved the Reggie Bar (it was my favorite candy bar of that era) but I never liked the Bun very much. Maybe it was a difference in ingredients.

The Curtiss Company that introduced the Baby Ruth candy bar also introduced the Oh Henry! bar in the same year(1920).During Aaron`s pursuit of Ruth`s record (beginning circa 1973),the Curtiss Company started to advertise this bar as if it were named after Aaron!!I would think Henry got some money out of it.They claimed the Baby Ruth was not named after the Bambino when it WAS(in essence)and over half a century later implied that the Oh Henry! was named after Aaron when it WAS NOT!The Oh Henry! bar looks like it would be like the Snicker bar.Very,very strange coincidence no matter how you look at it.
    Last edited by Nimrod; 04-17-2012 at 10:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Dunaier View Post
    Yeah, I have... they were chocolate covered crispy rice with caramel. I wanted to like it but I hated it because I hate caramel.
    They had peanuts, not rice. The shape was like a baseball but there was also a "long" version too you could get in more traditional candy bar shape. They disappeared after 1981 when Reggie left the Yankees and then came back briefly in 1993 as a temporary gimmick when Reggie made the Hall Of Fame, this time as a "Clark Reggie bar" since the makers of the Clark Bar owned the rights.

Quote Originally Posted by Nimrod View Post
    The Curtiss Company that introduced the Baby Ruth candy bar also introduced the Oh Henry! bar in the same year(1920).During Aaron`s pursuit of Ruth`s record (beginning circa 1973),the Curtiss Company started to advertise this bar as if it were named after Aaron!!I would think Henry got some money out of it.They claimed the Baby Ruth was not named after the Bambino when it WAS(in essence)and over half a century later implied that the Oh Henry! was named after Aaron when it WAS NOT!The Oh Henry! bar looks like it would be like the Snicker bar.Very,very strange coincidence no matter how you look at it.
    Oh Henry! had a commercial that played during Aaron's pursuit of Ruth's record that featured a clip of Aaron hitting a HR. I have no idea if Aaron got paid for it or if MLB did.

Is it still possible to obtain Reggie Bars anywhere?
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.

Quote Originally Posted by TeacherMan View Post
    Pretty funny

If I recall, that was a Graig Nettles line.

I remember eating a Reggie Bar as a kid - it tasted something like a cross between a 1,000 Grand Bar and a Nestle's Crunch.

Ken Griffey also had a candy bar available in the Seattle area back in 1989-1990. I think I still have one or two put away in my freezer. They weren't very good - it was more of a collector item.

I did find a Reggie Bar on Ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Reggie-Jacks...item3a6ef03321
    Last edited by Zito75; 04-17-2012 at 10:44 AM.
    WAR? Prove it!

Trusted Traders: ttmman21, Dalkowski110, BoofBonser26, Kearns643, HudsonHarden, Extra Innings, MadHatter, Mike D., J.P., SShifflett

^ If that's vintage, I'm wondering if it's still safe to eat even after all these years...

Quote Originally Posted by ol' aches and pains View Post
    I'm still laughing at this... Same also goes for the Joe Morgan bar.
    WAR? Prove it!

Trusted Traders: ttmman21, Dalkowski110, BoofBonser26, Kearns643, HudsonHarden, Extra Innings, MadHatter, Mike D., J.P., SShifflett

Whereas the Hawk Harrelson bar would tell you how crappy the other bars taste.

Quote Originally Posted by Zito75 View Post
    I don't know if there's any difference, but that's a newer one (1993). The original ones came out in 1978.

I don't know if there's any difference, but that's a newer one (1993). The original ones came out in 1978.

I remember eating a Reggie Bar as a kid - it tasted something like a cross between a 1,000 Grand Bar and a Nestle's Crunch.
    That's exactly how I remember them. However, the chocolate wasn't very good quality...so they didn't taste nearly as good.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast