Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: why do people still hate Derek Jeter so much??

Quote Originally Posted by SavoyBG View Post
    How about with the kid who caught his 3,00th hit. The ball was estimated to be worth $500,000. The guy gave it to Jeter for nothing and Jeter didn't do anything for the guy. How about paying off his student loans. The kid owes like $120,000 in student loans. He just gave Jeter a $500,000 item for free. $120,000 is nothing for Jeter.
    Are you one of those guys who would find a wallet on the ground and upon returning it to the owner, immediately stick their hand out for a reward?

How about Jeter never having the fortitude to say what he really thinks. All you get from him are the usual cliche answers to every question.
    It's called being a professional. It's one of the reasons why he is respected in the sport. He isn't Terrell Owens, Ozzie, Zambrano, etc.

How about the fact that he has won several gold gloves, but yet rates as one of the worst fielding starting shortstops in the game in most seasons.
    As mentioned, you hate a person for something he has no control over?

How many "rings" would he have if he was on the Royals?
    No doubt the team he played for helped get those rings. You hate him though for being on a good team built to win?

The second year he was the Captain of the Yankees (2004), Jeter aka "Captain Colapse" presided over the worst colapse in pro sports playoff history, blowing a 3-0 lead and losing 4 straight games to the Red Sox, the first and only time any team ever blew a 3-0 lead and lost a 7 game baseball series.
    I seriously think you're looking for reasons to hate him..... It's been awhile so I don't remember everything from 2004, but what did Jeter do that directly hurt the Yankees in that collapse? What would you have him do as captain to stop the collapse?

The Fist Pump.
    As stated above, you're looking for reasons to hate him. He could do a lot worse to show his excitement over something.... He could dance like some do.....
    Last edited by quagmire; 04-24-2012 at 08:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by quagmire View Post
    Are you one of those guys who would find a wallet on the ground and upon returning it to the owner, immediately stick their hand out for a reward?

I would have done the exact same the kid did. I would have given the ball to Jeter without expecting anything in return.
    Finding a wallet is not a good comp. That wallet does not belong to whoever finds it, but that ball did belong to whoever came up with it in the stands. You'd be a fool to hand Jeter $500,000.

It's called being a professional.
    No it's not. It's called not having the guts to say what you really think. Give me Reggie Jackson anyday. Somebody who will tell it like it is instead of just lying about it like Jeter does.

It's been awhile so I don't remember everything from 2004, but what did Jeter do that directly hurt the Yankees in that collapse?
    He was 4 for 19 (.211) in the 4 losses.

Finding a wallet is not a good comp. That wallet does not belong to whoever finds it, but that ball did belong to whoever came up with it in the stands. You'd be a fool to hand Jeter $500,000.
    My point still is valid. You would expect something in return. The Yankees talked to the kid saying what was his price he would give the ball up to Jeter. It was the kids choice to give it to Jeter without expecting anything in return. Which he did end up with champions seating for the rest of the season and Jeter autographed memorabilia. But, the fact the kid chose to give the ball to Jeter not expecting compensation was his choice. If you would have done something else with the ball, fine. That is your choice. But, the fact you are criticizing the kid and Jeter over your personal choice is ridiculous.

No it's not. It's called not having the guts to say what you really think. Give me Reggie Jackson anyday. Somebody who will tell it like it is instead of just lying about it like Jeter does.
    So if you come up to me after I landed an airplane hard and complained about how uncomfortable the landing was, you would have no problem with me telling you how I feel about your complaining and why I had to land hard, etc instead of being professional and just apologizing for the uncomfortable landing being a professional pilot?

So you hate him because he didn't perform well in those 4 games? Guess what? The whole team didn't perform well in those games. He contributed sure, but to hate him over it? I just don't get it.....

Do you hate Mo for giving up a bloop single in Game 7 of the 2001 WS which cost them the WS? Do you hate him for blowing leads in the 2004 ALCS which helped spark the comeback by the Red Sox?
    Last edited by quagmire; 04-24-2012 at 08:57 PM.

We all know it's not all about batting average and add to that it was a team failure, Matsui the only Yank earning his pay in that playoff.
    You cherry pick and try to spin things to make Jeter look like the goat. Jeter no RBI in that game 4, RBI, Arod 2, Williams 1 and Tony Clark 1 RBI.

Game 5-6-7 when the Yanks could put have put Boston away after the Bosox took one game, game 4.

Game 5 -6-7.
    Game 5 RBI------- Jeter-- 3 Bernie Williams 1
    Game 6 RBI-------Jeter -- 1 Bernie Williams 1
    Game 7 RBI-------Jeter -- 1 Bernie Williams 1 -- Matsui 1

Last 3 games---- Jeter 5 RBI, Yankee team combined 4 RBI.
    Last edited by SHOELESSJOE3; 04-24-2012 at 09:26 PM.

My point still is valid. You would expect something in return. The Yankees talked to the kid saying what was his price he would give the ball up to Jeter. It was the kids choice to give it to Jeter without expecting anything in return. Which he did end up with champions seating for the rest of the season and Jeter autographed memorabilia. But, the fact the kid chose to give the ball to Jeter not expecting compensation was his choice. If you would have done something else with the ball, fine. That is your choice. But, the fact you are criticizing the kid and Jeter over your personal choice is ridiculous.
    No one is saying it wasn't the kid's choice. I'm saying it was a STUPID choice. He'll likely never again have a chance to make a score like that. A score that would have set him up with at least a house bought and paid for. Did you ever see "A Bronx Tale?" Do you think that Mickey Mantle (Derek Jeter) cares about you?

So if you come up to me after I landed an airplane hard and complained about how uncomfortable the landing was, you would have no problem with me telling you how I feel about your complaining and why I had to land hard, etc instead of being professional and just apologizing for the uncomfortable landing being a professional pilot?
    What are you babbling about here? I want Jeter to tell us the truth when he's asked about what's going on with the team. I don't want to hear cliche answers. That's not professional, it's just phony.

So you hate him because he didn't perform well in those 4 games? Guess what? The whole team didn't perform well in those games. He contributed sure, but to hate him over it? I just don't get it.....

Do you hate Mo for giving up a bloop single in Game 7 of the 2001 WS which cost them the WS? Do you hate him for blowing leads in the 2004 ALCS which helped spark the comeback by the Red Sox?
    I was rooting against the Yankees, why would I hate Jeter for helping them lose?

Blog Entries
    Please, folks, remain on-topic, and under no circumstances will personal insults be tolerated.
    Put it in the books.

And a huge difference in defense. They allowed 99 more runs with Jeter at SS.
    Losing Don Mattingly in 1996 hurt them a lot definitively, but he's one of those other Yankees that doesn't get the respect he deserves as well. I guess it's a Captain thing.
    Last edited by White Knight; 04-24-2012 at 10:40 PM.
    Lou Gehrig is the Truest Yankee of them all!

Quote Originally Posted by White Knight View Post
    Losing Don Mattingly in 1996 hurt them a lot definitively, but he's one of those other Yankees that doesn't get the respect he deserves as well. I guess it's a Captain thing.
    Tino Martinez was also a great defensive 1Bman. One of the best ever according to Bill James win shares defensive ratings.

Tino Martinez was also a great defensive 1Bman. One of the best ever according to Bill James win shares defensive ratings.
    Those defensive ratings with advanced stats can be a bit tricky. Just watching them all, I'd rate them in the following order: Mattingly, Tex, Tino. Of course, stats probably say otherwise.

Those defensive ratings with advanced stats can be a bit tricky. Just watching them all, I'd rate them in the following order: Mattingly, Tex, Tino. Of course, stats probably say otherwise.
    Just watching them I'd rate them Tex, Tino, Mattingly.

Mattingly was another yankee who was tremendously overrated.

DEFENSIVE WAR
    Tino - 6.1
    Tex - 4-6 (in mid career)
    Mattingly - 3.1
    Last edited by SavoyBG; 04-24-2012 at 11:19 PM.

Just watching them I'd rate them Tex, Tino, Mattingly.

Mattingly was another yankee who was tremendously overrated.

DEFENSIVE WAR
    Tino - 6.1
    Tex - 4-6 (in mid career)
    Mattingly - 3.1
    Did you watch them almost daily like I did, being a Yankee fan? Anyway, to each their own opinion. I put Mattingly as in the top 2 all time defensively. Keith Hernandez I'll give you though.

Did you watch them almost daily like I did, being a Yankee fan? Anyway, to each their own opinion. I put Mattingly as in the top 2 all time defensively. Keith Hernandez I'll give you though.
    Yes, I live in NJ.

Mattingly was more overrated than Jeter. He wasn't a selfish jerk like Jeter though. He even played 3B as a LH thrower when they thought it would get another bat into the lineup.

Quote Originally Posted by StanTheMan View Post
    I never posted anything of the sort and referenced no year(s)

Baseless, utter nonsense. Complete conjecture and quite accusatory of two teams I'm willing to bet you have zero personal knowledge of ANYONE remotely close to the organization. I do know one thing... Had he been a Royal or Pirate those years, their defense up the middle would have been POORER that what it was without him.

Can he hit? Yes. Good base runner. Good with the media and fans. Legendary? No.

Every MLB player in history had respect for the uniform, as does Jeter. Again, I never posted anything remotely close to a statement quantifying his "respect" for his uniform, his craft, his favorite waiter at his favorite restaurant, his thoughts on Health Care, or anything remotely close. Thanks for making a wild statement you so politely (and incorrectly) attributed to me. Me responding "Why do you not like Musial?" would be the equivalent IMO.

Look... The facepalms were based mainly on your selective memory while you were fawning over the guy with your keyboard. The glaring miss in your post been highlighted already, so I won't go into it again.

I DO SEE why some people adore the guy. I don't. No big deal.
    It comes down to this was Jeter a big reason the Yankees won? You know it was and you may not hate him but give him some respect. Which it doesnt seems like your not doing. Cmon if he ends up with 3700 hits will you rank him in the top 5?
    "(Shoeless Joe Jackson's fall from grace is one of the real tragedies of baseball. I always thought he was more sinned against than sinning." -- Connie Mack

"I have the ultimate respect for Whitesox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Redsox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country."--Jim Caple, ESPN (Jan. 12, 2011)

Quote Originally Posted by chicagowhitesox1173 View Post
    It comes down to this was Jeter a big reason the Yankees won? You know it was and you may not hate him but give him some respect. Which it doesnt seems like your not doing. Cmon if he ends up with 3700 hits will you rank him in the top 5?
    Rose has over 4,000 hits and i don't rank him in the top 5 RFers or top 5 LFers.

Rose has over 4,000 hits and i don't rank him in the top 5 RFers or top 5 LFers.
    I wouldnt either if I had too pick Jeter from the Lf and Rf top 10. But he's a top 5 shortstop. Right? 3700 hits cmon man admit it.
    "(Shoeless Joe Jackson's fall from grace is one of the real tragedies of baseball. I always thought he was more sinned against than sinning." -- Connie Mack

"I have the ultimate respect for Whitesox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Redsox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country."--Jim Caple, ESPN (Jan. 12, 2011)

Quote Originally Posted by chicagowhitesox1173 View Post
    I wouldnt either if I had too pick Jeter from the Lf and Rf top 10. But he's a top 5 shortstop. Right? 3700 hits cmon man admit it.
    What makes you think he's gonna get another 600 hits?

What makes you think he's gonna get another 600 hits?
    Even if he ends up with 3500 he's got my vote as top 5. He looks pretty good this year so far. I see him gettin 170-180 hits this year if he stays healthy. He might not have the best stats every year but with just 18 seasons in and 3100 hits he's gaining some major ground for a top 5 shortstop. I respect everything you say and everything i've read from you in the past but I think your wrong on this one. I guess I dont know exactly where you rank him but putting Dahlen ahead of him is kinda putting Jeter down a little too much.

If he has two more good years which he is doing now. Thats pretty impressive. And I agree with ya he seems like a jerk and I cant say I really like him but I'll give him credit for his on field accomplishments. Unless he tests positive I cant see him not being a top 5 when he retires if not right now.

I see the cases for the Paul Waners or Tony Gwynns but there both right fielders as for SS Jeter is up there with the best. He shouldnt be ranked number 7 or 8.
    Last edited by chicagowhitesox1173; 04-25-2012 at 12:49 AM.

Cal Ripken even said he could reach 4000 hits today. I wouldnt think he could but the way he hit the 2nd half of last season and the way he's hitting now ya never know. I think he went 2 for 5 in lasts nights game, he seems to have found the fountain of youth and not too many shortstops at age 38 have put up numbers like him at his age.

No one is saying it wasn't the kid's choice. I'm saying it was a STUPID choice. He'll likely never again have a chance to make a score like that. A score that would have set him up with at least a house bought and paid for. Did you ever see "A Bronx Tale?" Do you think that Mickey Mantle (Derek Jeter) cares about you?
    Is it really surprising some people aren't motivated by money or what they will get in return? What if he decided to keep it and never sell it and pass it on to his family?

And no I haven't seen a Bronx Tale and no I don't think Jeter cares about me.

I was rooting against the Yankees, why would I hate Jeter for helping them lose?
    Then why are you holding it against him?

2 for 2 so far with a stolen base and a 15 game hitting streak. Wow.

Blog Entries
    2 for 2 so far with a stolen base and a 15 game hitting streak. Wow.
    And for all you potheads out there, Jeter is batting .420!
    "There has always been a saying in baseball that you can't make a hitter, but I think you can improve a hitter. More than you can improve a fielder. More mistakes are made hitting than in any other part of the game."
    - Ted Williams

"I know I'm the world's worst fielder, but who gets paid for fielding? There isn't a great fielder in baseball getting the kind of dough I get paid for hitting."
    - Dick Stuart

Quote Originally Posted by GiambiJuice View Post
    And for all you potheads out there, Jeter is batting .420!
    Maybe, if he works on his D enough... He can creep into the Top 5 SS in MLB today.
    "Herman Franks to Sal Yvars to Bobby Thomson. Ralph Branca to Bobby Thomson to Helen Rita... cue Russ Hodges."

Quote Originally Posted by StanTheMan View Post
    Maybe, if he works on his D enough... He can creep into the Top 5 SS in MLB today.
    So far it's been solid. Either that or Nunez is making him look elite.

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast