Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 120

Thread: Dodgers hot start or weak schedule?

  1. #1

    Dodgers hot start or weak schedule?

    the Dodgers are off to a great start but their schedule has been mostly san diego (weakest team by far in nl west), houston (weakest team in a

    nl?), and pirates (no winning season since early 90s), they did play milwaukee and were lucky to scrape one win out of the series

    are they that good or just the benficiary of playing all cellar dwellars to start the season?

    I say the latter
    1. The more I learn, the more convinced I am that many players are over-rated due to inflated stats from offensive home parks (and eras)
    2. Strat-O-Matic Baseball Player, Collector and Hobbyist since 1969, visit my strat site: http://somgamersparadiseforum.smfforfree4.com/index.php

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Bay Area, CA
    Posts
    4,282
    Somewhere in the middle. I think they'll finish 3rd with a record over .500. Water finds it's level in the end.
    San Francisco Giants, World Series Champions in 2010 and 2012

    "Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts" ~ Albert Einstein

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Chicago Illinois
    Posts
    5,353
    You gotta admit they do have a nice core of players. Matt Kemp, Andre Ethier, Clayton Kershaw, Chad Billingsley and Dee Gordan. I like the Giants pitching but the Dodgers seem to be a pretty balanced team. Nice speed, good power and good pitching. I'm not sure if the Giants have enough offense.
    "(Shoeless Joe Jackson's fall from grace is one of the real tragedies of baseball. I always thought he was more sinned against than sinning." -- Connie Mack

    "I have the ultimate respect for Whitesox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Redsox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country."--Jim Caple, ESPN (Jan. 12, 2011)

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Perth, Australia by way of Los Angeles
    Posts
    1,837
    Blog Entries
    1
    The Dodgers were lucky scrape one out of the Mileaukee series? Both of those two losses could've gone the other way. If anything, they were unlucky in that series.

    As for your question, of course it has something to do with their weak schedule. But you can only beat what's in front of you.
    Using a stolen chant from Boston Celtics fans whenever an L.A. team is playing up there just reeks of inferiority complex.

    If hitting a baseball is the toughest thing to do in sports, then pitching must be the easiest thing to do in sports.

  5. #5
    ^ they lost the first two and were trailing in the third
    1. The more I learn, the more convinced I am that many players are over-rated due to inflated stats from offensive home parks (and eras)
    2. Strat-O-Matic Baseball Player, Collector and Hobbyist since 1969, visit my strat site: http://somgamersparadiseforum.smfforfree4.com/index.php

  6. #6
    Meh.

    We'll see in September who's the best team in the West.

    Speculate all you want, Dodger haters.
    I see great things in baseball. It's our game - the American game.
    - Walt Whitman

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Perth, Australia by way of Los Angeles
    Posts
    1,837
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by 9RoyHobbsRF View Post
    ^ they lost the first two and were trailing in the third
    Way to miss my point.
    Using a stolen chant from Boston Celtics fans whenever an L.A. team is playing up there just reeks of inferiority complex.

    If hitting a baseball is the toughest thing to do in sports, then pitching must be the easiest thing to do in sports.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Milwaukee, WI
    Posts
    1,797
    Dodgers are for real. I think they're a top notch team in the NL this year.

    Brewers are off to a slow start, Weeks/Ramirez not hitting and pitching has been meh. Dodgers should have spanked them. Those games will be the outliers for LA, I think. All three games in the Brew-Dodgers series were very close and for the first two, I just think Ron Roenicke just out-managed Donnie Baseball. See the beautiful suicide squeeze by Norichika Aoki in Game 2.

    Brewers GM Doug Melvin was on Brewers TV during Game 3 of the Dodgers series and he even said that among GM circles, word is the Dodgers will be good this year.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Perth, Australia by way of Los Angeles
    Posts
    1,837
    Blog Entries
    1
    It's a two-man show on offense for the Dodgers right now. Loney might start tearing it up again but he's no power hitter. The horrible supporting cast for Kemp and Ethier will cost us. I hope Sands and Federowicz will start hitting well in AAA so they can get called up ASAP. I hope they put Uribe on the 60-day DL.
    Using a stolen chant from Boston Celtics fans whenever an L.A. team is playing up there just reeks of inferiority complex.

    If hitting a baseball is the toughest thing to do in sports, then pitching must be the easiest thing to do in sports.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Las Vegas NV
    Posts
    3,076
    Quote Originally Posted by UnderPressure View Post
    It's a two-man show on offense for the Dodgers right now. Loney might start tearing it up again but he's no power hitter. The horrible supporting cast for Kemp and Ethier will cost us. I hope Sands and Federowicz will start hitting well in AAA so they can get called up ASAP. I hope they put Uribe on the 60-day DL.
    You said it for me. The rest of the offense need to stand up and be counted because Kemp & Ethier cannot carry them every game. The test will come this week when the Braves (10-5) and Nats (12-4) come to town.
    Mind you, every win counts so it is a great start to the season.
    "A hot dog at the ballgame beats roast beef at the Ritz." ~Humphrey Bogart

    No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference. ~Tommy Lasorda

  11. #11
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    1,002
    Weak schedule.

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by 9RoyHobbsRF View Post
    the Dodgers are off to a great start but their schedule has been mostly san diego (weakest team by far in nl west), houston (weakest team in a

    nl?), and pirates (no winning season since early 90s), they did play milwaukee and were lucky to scrape one win out of the series

    are they that good or just the benficiary of playing all cellar dwellars to start the season?

    I say the latter
    the schedule was weak but still they got a hot start.
    baseball is a game that is mostly played between .400 and .600. even the weakest teams win not much less than 40% of their games and even the strongest teams don't win much more than 60% of the games.

    that means if a team wins 80% of their games they are off to a hot start no matter who they are playing. this is not sustainable of course.
    I think walks are overrated unless you can run. If you get a walk and put the pitcher in a stretch, that helps, but the guy who walks and cant run, most of the time hes clogging up the bases for somebody who can run. Dusty Baker.

  13. #13
    Well here we are a month later....Dodgers are decimated by injuries and still swept the Cardinals.....Still the best record in baseball and the biggest divisional lead.

    Kemp still at least 9 days from returning....Bills still a head case.

    At this point, the Dodgers only have to go .500 to win 88....62-59 to win 90 or 67-54 to win 95....

    Enough to win the West?

    -
    Last edited by jnakamura; 05-20-2012 at 08:28 PM.
    I see great things in baseball. It's our game - the American game.
    - Walt Whitman

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    New Tampa Florida.
    Posts
    3,337
    Just like the O's the Dodgers will cool off soon.

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by RaysFan_98 View Post
    Just like the O's the Dodgers will cool off soon.
    No doubt. But it's coming close to the point where all they have to do is play .500 for the rest of the season to win 90 games. Of course they could always tank and play horrible baseball....who knows...
    I see great things in baseball. It's our game - the American game.
    - Walt Whitman

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by jnakamura View Post
    Well here we are a month later....Dodgers are decimated by injuries and still swept the Cardinals.....Still the best record in baseball and the biggest divisional lead.

    Kemp still at least 9 days from returning....Bills still a head case.

    At this point, the Dodgers only have to go .500 to win 88....62-59 to win 90 or 67-54 to win 95....

    Enough to win the West?

    -
    Should be plenty. The Dodgers are good even with all the injuries and the Giants havent looked great and may barely finish .500. Dodgers should take the division by several games.

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by jnakamura View Post
    Well here we are a month later....Dodgers are decimated by injuries and still swept the Cardinals.....Still the best record in baseball and the biggest divisional lead.

    Kemp still at least 9 days from returning....Bills still a head case.

    At this point, the Dodgers only have to go .500 to win 88....62-59 to win 90 or 67-54 to win 95....

    Enough to win the West?

    -
    90 likely will not be enough. usually in the west you need about 91-93
    I think walks are overrated unless you can run. If you get a walk and put the pitcher in a stretch, that helps, but the guy who walks and cant run, most of the time hes clogging up the bases for somebody who can run. Dusty Baker.

  18. #18
    They still have played 9 games against the weak Padres, most teams have played one series against another team

    to put in in a season perspective, they have 25% of their wins against this one team

    if they won 100 games, they would project 25 of those wins vs San Diego, they only have 9 games left against them

    they also have 4 of their wins vs the Rockies who are playing at even a lower level than the Padres

    but on the other hand they have done well against some teams well over .500 including Washington St. Louis etc.
    1. The more I learn, the more convinced I am that many players are over-rated due to inflated stats from offensive home parks (and eras)
    2. Strat-O-Matic Baseball Player, Collector and Hobbyist since 1969, visit my strat site: http://somgamersparadiseforum.smfforfree4.com/index.php

  19. #19
    And the Dodgers keep on rolling over NL West opponents. No Kemp, no problem...so far.

    Now 30-13. Best start since 1983.

    They'll cool off, but only have to play slightly better than .500 the rest of the season to cinch a playoff berth. 60-59 will win 90 games.
    I see great things in baseball. It's our game - the American game.
    - Walt Whitman

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Chicago Illinois
    Posts
    5,353
    I keep hearing good things about Dee Gordon and if he starts doing well I dont see how anyone can beat em. I'm picking him back up on fantasy. I think they have a better staff than the Giants right now but hopefully they can keep it up. Kershaw, Capuno, Billingsley and Lilly are all pretty top notch. This Ethier has gotta be one of the most underated players in baseball right now.

    I cant say I know alot about the Dodgers except for what I see in ESPN highlights but too me their the best team in the majors right now. I was a pretty big fan of the Giants until I've seen what these Dodgers are all about. (besides the Whitesox of course) I've been really watching the NL West lately because too me their all pretty good teams. I do hope though that the Giants make this a close race. It will be better than a Redsox/Yankee rivalry for maybe just this year.
    Last edited by chicagowhitesox1173; 05-22-2012 at 11:39 PM.
    "(Shoeless Joe Jackson's fall from grace is one of the real tragedies of baseball. I always thought he was more sinned against than sinning." -- Connie Mack

    "I have the ultimate respect for Whitesox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Redsox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country."--Jim Caple, ESPN (Jan. 12, 2011)

  21. #21
    Let's get real

    The Dodgers opened with 10 games in southern california against the Pirates (3 at home) and the Padres (4 on the road, 90 minutes away and 3 at home), 2 of the weakest teams in the league

    They are currently in the middle of a 23 game stretch in which they played 18 (YES EIGHTEEN) home games and traveled for all of 5 games, to San Diego and Arizona, hardly any travel at all

    talk about a cushy schedule

    their only 2 "real" road trips this year, a six gamer to houston and milwaukee they went 3-3 (hardly high caliber teams) and then another short 6 game trip to colorado and chicago (they lost 2 of 3 in both series, again not really world beaters)

    what kind of ridiculous schedule has this been?
    Last edited by 9RoyHobbsRF; 05-27-2012 at 09:36 PM.
    1. The more I learn, the more convinced I am that many players are over-rated due to inflated stats from offensive home parks (and eras)
    2. Strat-O-Matic Baseball Player, Collector and Hobbyist since 1969, visit my strat site: http://somgamersparadiseforum.smfforfree4.com/index.php

  22. #22
    Quote Originally Posted by 9RoyHobbsRF View Post
    Let's get real
    Cushy schedule or not, they've done what they need to do.

    You beat up on the weak teams and play .500 against the good teams. Since when has that not been a recipe for a winning season?
    I see great things in baseball. It's our game - the American game.
    - Walt Whitman

  23. #23
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Perth, Australia by way of Los Angeles
    Posts
    1,837
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by 9RoyHobbsRF View Post
    Let's get real

    The Dodgers opened with 10 games in southern california against the Pirates (3 at home) and the Padres (4 on the road, 90 minutes away and 3 at home), 2 of the weakest teams in the league

    They are currently in the middle of a 23 game stretch in which they played 18 (YES EIGHTEEN) home games and traveled for all of 5 games, to San Diego and Arizona, hardly any travel at all

    talk about a cushy schedule

    their only 2 "real" road trips this year, a six gamer to houston and milwaukee they went 3-3 (hardly high caliber teams) and then another short 6 game trip to colorado and chicago (they lost 2 of 3 in both series, again not really world beaters)

    what kind of ridiculous schedule has this been?
    Let's face it. You're a Giants fan and a very biased one to boot. You will always scrutinize any success the Dodgers have. Last time, you were complaining how the Dodgers have not played any quality teams, be it at home or on the road. Now that they've played some quality teams at home, you now complain about the home games that they've played and the lack of road games so far? It's funny that you failed to mention that LA swept teams like St. Louis and Washington.
    Using a stolen chant from Boston Celtics fans whenever an L.A. team is playing up there just reeks of inferiority complex.

    If hitting a baseball is the toughest thing to do in sports, then pitching must be the easiest thing to do in sports.

  24. #24
    you may want to read post 18

    then apologize

    Quote Originally Posted by UnderPressure View Post
    Let's face it. You're a Giants fan and a very biased one to boot. You will always scrutinize any success the Dodgers have. Last time, you were complaining how the Dodgers have not played any quality teams, be it at home or on the road. Now that they've played some quality teams at home, you now complain about the home games that they've played and the lack of road games so far? It's funny that you failed to mention that LA swept teams like St. Louis and Washington.
    1. The more I learn, the more convinced I am that many players are over-rated due to inflated stats from offensive home parks (and eras)
    2. Strat-O-Matic Baseball Player, Collector and Hobbyist since 1969, visit my strat site: http://somgamersparadiseforum.smfforfree4.com/index.php

  25. #25
    they have not had any long road trip outside the western time zone, they had two very short 6 gamers against weak teams and went 3-3 and 2-4

    they have 4 very long east coast road trips(9 or more games) to follow up on

    I stand that there schedule has been ridiculously cushy

    Quote Originally Posted by jnakamura View Post
    Cushy schedule or not, they've done what they need to do.

    You beat up on the weak teams and play .500 against the good teams. Since when has that not been a recipe for a winning season?
    1. The more I learn, the more convinced I am that many players are over-rated due to inflated stats from offensive home parks (and eras)
    2. Strat-O-Matic Baseball Player, Collector and Hobbyist since 1969, visit my strat site: http://somgamersparadiseforum.smfforfree4.com/index.php

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •