Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: is Matt Kemp the best Dodger including the Brooklyn Dodgers?

is Matt Kemp the best Dodger including the Brooklyn Dodgers?

has Kemp became the best Dodger ever yet??

Quote Originally Posted by Blackout View Post
    has Kemp became the best Dodger ever yet??
    Dude. No....

If Matt can keep this pace up for about 8 more seasons, then we'll talk.
    you can take the Dodgers out of Brooklyn, but you can't take the Brooklyn out of the DODGERS
    http://brooklyndodgermemories.freeforums.org/

Quote Originally Posted by penncentralpete View Post
    If Matt can keep this pace up for about 8 more seasons, then we'll talk.
    It might not take that long. If healthy, he'll probably shatter the all-time Dodger home run record while still in his prime.
    I see great things in baseball. It's our game - the American game.
    - Walt Whitman

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jnakamura View Post
    It might not take that long. If healthy, he'll probably shatter the all-time Dodger home run record while still in his prime.
    We'll see, as they say.

Duh- how do you respond to a question like this? To try to be serious, though, Kemp IS really good, and he seems to be getting better. But, let's wait a few years- or even until later this season! He's going to have to continue to do what he's been doing the last couple of years for quite a while to match Robinson and Snider.

he went 0-3 today

OH NO

Blog Entries
    He may be a potential candidate, but I won't even go near this question for at least another five years.
    Put it in the books.

who is the best dodger of all time to date?
    I think walks are overrated unless you can run. If you get a walk and put the pitcher in a stretch, that helps, but the guy who walks and cant run, most of the time hes clogging up the bases for somebody who can run. Dusty Baker.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dominik View Post
    I'm thinking the answer to that question is relatively subjective. I'll say Branch Rickey. Does it have to be a player?
    Put it in the books.

Matt has the advantage of hitting against watered down expansion pitching. Duke and Jackie Didn't face pitchers who should be at AAA.
    Baseball. The official sport of god.

Watered down? Duke & Jackie faced pitchers from a nation of 175M. Today our country has over 300M folks.
    That being said, Matt Kemp has a ways to go......................
    you can take the Dodgers out of Brooklyn, but you can't take the Brooklyn out of the DODGERS
    http://brooklyndodgermemories.freeforums.org/

Quote Originally Posted by penncentralpete View Post
    Watered down? Duke & Jackie faced pitchers from a nation of 175M. Today our country has over 300M folks.
    That being said, Matt Kemp has a ways to go......................
    Jackie also didn't face all of the world-wide talent pool that MLB is now made up of.

He never had to bat against guys like Juan Marichal, Pedro Martinez and Luis Tiant.

And I agree, Matt has a long way to go...
    I see great things in baseball. It's our game - the American game.
    - Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by dominik View Post
    Pee Wee Reese

.449/.513/.942

kemp is having the best dodger month ever

Quote Originally Posted by Blackout View Post
    .449/.513/.942

kemp is having the best dodger month ever
    Do you know that?

well compared to the ones i've found, yes.

Blog Entries
    Two separate franchises....will Steven Strassberg be the greatest Montreal Expo/Washington National pitcher ever? When you desert a location, you forfeit the history of that city at least in my opinion.

Although I'll tell you. Vin Scully is the greatest Brooklyn Dodgers broadcaster of all time and is also the great Los Angeles Dodger broadcaster of all time.

The Brooklyn Dodgers, by their own volition, ceased to exist at the end of the 1957 season. All the Brooklyn records are frozen as of that time.

Quote Originally Posted by MATHA531 View Post
    Two separate franchises....will Steven Strassberg be the greatest Montreal Expo/Washington National pitcher ever? When you desert a location, you forfeit the history of that city at least in my opinion.

The Brooklyn Dodgers, by their own volition, ceased to exist at the end of the 1957 season. All the Brooklyn records are frozen as of that time.
    Obviously not true.

another huge home run today!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRon View Post
    Obviously not true.
    Please explain to me whi it is obviously untrue. You have the Brooklyn Dodgers and then yo have the Los Angeles Dodgers.

How is that different from the ew York Titans and the Tennessee Titans in the NFL?

Oh BTW, who owns the legacy of Walter Johnson? Is it the Minnesota Twinkies, the Texas Rangers or the Washington Nationals?

Gary Carter? Washington Nationals?

There should be one rule about this and the one that makes the most sense is if yu leave a city,m you forfeit the history. It belongs to the city of origin. At least that's what I think is the way that makes the most sense. The Los Angeles team ot today, remember, is no longer owned by the O'Malley family so it has nothing to do with Brooklyn (other than, of course, Vin Scully). Like I say, not so obvious.

Oh BTW, who owns the legacy of Walter Johnson? Is it the Minnesota Twinkies, the Texas Rangers or the Washington Nationals?

The Cleveland Indians have a better case for Walter Johnson's legacy than any of these teams.

Quote Originally Posted by EdTarbusz View Post
    The Cleveland Indians have a better case for Walter Johnson's legacy than any of these teams.
    Yeah I agree, Nothing against Minnesotta but I dont think they care too much for the old Washington Senators. I'm sure they have something to remember the old Senators though. I'm kinda curious on that now. I always kinda thought the Giants and Athletics never did alot for thier old citys teams but Minnesotta would have them beat i'm sure.

Again nothing against the Twins. It's a different city and name so of course most fans wouldnt even know who the old Washington players were . I can kinda see Baltimore giving Goerge Sisler and some other old St. Louis Brown players respect but I cant see Minnesotta doing too much for Walter Johnson. I'm probally wrong though. I would think Atlanta would be the best for the old cities they played in. I've never been to any of these stadiums so I wouldnt know though.
    "(Shoeless Joe Jackson's fall from grace is one of the real tragedies of baseball. I always thought he was more sinned against than sinning." -- Connie Mack

"I have the ultimate respect for Whitesox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Redsox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country."--Jim Caple, ESPN (Jan. 12, 2011)

Please explain to me whi it is obviously untrue. You have the Brooklyn Dodgers and then yo have the Los Angeles Dodgers.

How is that different from the ew York Titans and the Tennessee Titans in the NFL?

Gary Carter? Washington Nationals?

There should be one rule about this and the one that makes the most sense is if yu leave a city,m you forfeit the history. It belongs to the city of origin. At least that's what I think is the way that makes the most sense. The Los Angeles team ot today, remember, is no longer owned by the O'Malley family so it has nothing to do with Brooklyn (other than, of course, Vin Scully). Like I say, not so obvious.
    I dont think any team should forfeit there old citys legacys. I think they should do more to remember em. I can see where most fans dont care about some team who played in 1934 but theres still alot that do. If I owned a baseball team I would put a museam in the ballpark where fans could go after a game and learn about the history of the team. I dont know if any teams really do this except by putting retired numbers on a flag or wall but the GreenBay Packers have one in thier stadium and I hate the Packers but i'll admit it was pretty cool visiting thier museam.
    "(Shoeless Joe Jackson's fall from grace is one of the real tragedies of baseball. I always thought he was more sinned against than sinning." -- Connie Mack

"I have the ultimate respect for Whitesox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Redsox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country."--Jim Caple, ESPN (Jan. 12, 2011)

Blog Entries
    .....but sometimes it's the players too who have something to do with it. The late Johnny Unitas avoided any semblance of respect for Irsay and the Indianapolis Colts in the years before his death; he cast his lot with the Ravens. Jim Brown, I understand, can be a very angry person. Does he attend Ravens games as one of the faces of the franchise? Or is he at Cleveland Browns games? Is it the city? Is it the organization? Is it the corporate name? In many cases, franchise shifts occur when new owners take over. Does the entire history of the baseball in Philadelphia reside today with the Phillies? Who claims the legacy of Jimmy Fox? Cornelius McGilicuddy (Connie Mack)? Does the legacy of Hank Aaron reside with the Atlanta Braves (well at least Aaron played in Atlanta) or do the Milwaukee Brewers have some claim to his legacy? It goes on and on.

Look at the situation with the Mets. They took a lot of flack for, as an example, the Jackie Robinson rotunda a tribute to Ebbets Field (let me add here that manyh people forget about the pressure that was brought on the Mets while Citi Field was being constructed to name the whole park for Robinson). Citi Field, bts, has no resemblance whtsoever inside to Ebbets Field. Does a good part of the legacy of National Legue baseball in New York reside with the Mets? (The valid criticism of the Mets on this is the much greater emphasis placed on the Brooklyn Dodgers than the New York Giants)/

Whether you agree with my view point on this or not, at least let's agree that the issue is very murky and it would be preferable to be consistant one way or the other. To that end, I still believe the city is more important that the name of the organization but I respecdt anybody who disagrees. Just respect my views on this.;

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast