• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jake Patterson
    Coaching 101 Moderator
    • Oct 2005

Girl in our area does the (near) impossible

A girl in the CIAC has a perfect game...

When Stonington (Conn.) High softball pitcher Andrea Chiaradio woke up on Saturday morning, she had no idea she was about to complete the most perfect game anyone could ever perform. Just hours later, Chiaradio would close out a perfect game comprised of 21 strike outs, cementing her legacy as a Connecticut legend after singlehandedly ensuring that Stonington would knock off Norwich (Conn.) Free Academy in Stonington's 3-0 win. Continue reading →
    "He who dares to teach, must never cease to learn."
    - John Cotton Dana (1856–1929) - Offered to many by L. Olson - Iowa (Teacher)
    Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting.
  • BamaYankee
    Roll Tide!
    • Mar 2008

Thanks, Jake. This morning, an Airman from the pass and ID office on the base asked me if I was a baseball fan, then turned his computer around and showed me this article. Amazing. They need to get Humber and this young lady together for a photo op.

Comment

• bbrages
      • May 2010

my favorite part:

But she played center field all last year and she never complained. When the coach gives you that moment and you take it ... good for her.

Comment

• tg643
        Team Veteran
        • May 2010

This is not that big of a deal. A top travel pitcher can stand a high school team on their head. The pitcher on my daughter's high school team (played D1) did it at least once a year. She probably did it six or seven times over four years. Half her games were no-hitters. She would pitch at least three perfect games per year with at least one being all K's.

Add: I watched the beginning of her prospect video. She only throws 58. That it not hard. 58 was ordinary in the conference my daughter played. Travel outfielders who didn't pitch travel threw 58 in high school. Also there's no variance of speed on her breaking pitch. She didn't throw a riser. Her control wasn't very good. The team she K'ed everyone must have been weak.
        Last edited by tg643; 04-24-2012, 10:39 AM.

Comment

• Jake Patterson
          Coaching 101 Moderator
          • Oct 2005

Originally posted by tg643 View Post
          This is not that big of a deal. A top travel pitcher can stand a high school team on their head. The pitcher on my daughter's high school team (played D1) did it at least once a year. She probably did it six or seven times over four years. Half her games were no-hitters. She would pitch at least three perfect games per year with at least one being all K's.

This is a big deal for any high school pitcher... NFA is one of the top schools in Southern CT.

Comment

• BamaYankee
            Roll Tide!
            • Mar 2008

This is a big deal. Read the article. 21 strikeouts vs. a team that in the previous game had 27 hits and 26 runs. Good Lord! Give the girl her due!

Comment

• tg643
              Team Veteran
              • May 2010

Originally posted by BamaYankee View Post
              This is a big deal. Read the article. 21 strikeouts vs. a team that in the previous game had 27 hits and 26 runs. Good Lord! Give the girl her due!
              You must not know softball. If there are scores of 26-7 the quality of competition sucks. Scoring 7 runs would have won most games in the conference my daughter played. The entire starting lineup of my daughter's high school team played college ball (five D1). They made the state final four all four years. They never scored 26 runs. Scoring 10 was a big deal except against the one bottom feeder.

I watched their pitcher no hit half the opponents and pitch at least three perfect games per season. I remember my daughter diving and not getting a hit in the last inning one game. When she apologized to the pitcher the pitcher responded, "No big deal. It's not like I was pitching a perfect game." She considered no hitters to be ordinary in high school.
              Last edited by tg643; 04-24-2012, 11:28 AM.

Comment

• mudvnine
                Super Moderator
                • Apr 2008

Unfortunately, this "feat"(?) means little or nothing to me, being that it's a girls' softball thing, and I have no experience to relate it to having never watched the sport for any meaningful length of time or purpose.

I guess if I frequented this place, and it was posted there, I would have a better frame of reference to judge it by, but being this is a "baseball" site (or at least I thought it was), I'm tend to agree with "tg" as it's, "not that big of a deal", since I have come to respect his views on things.....so if he says it's a somewhat regular occurrence in his area, well, I'm gonna take his word for it.

Originally posted by BamaYankee
                Bama, the current HS (baseball) team I'm coaching, has put up 12 runs on 12 hits in one game, only to come back two days later and get 2 runs on 2 hits, followed five days later by no runs on 1 hit, and two days after that post, 13 runs on 12 hits.......so really, several games prior to a team's current outing is really no indication of the quality of a particular team.

Had that other team been undefeated or maybe have lost only a game or two, than that might be indicative of something, but a single game regardless of the score, IMO tells very little of the quality of a team.....one way or the other.
                In memory of "Catchingcoach" - Dave Weaver: February 28, 1955 - June 17, 2011

Comment

• tg643
                  Team Veteran
                  • May 2010

Originally posted by mudvnine View Post
                  Unfortunately, this "feat"(?) means little or nothing to me, being that it's a girls' softball thing, and I have no experience to relate it to having never watched the sport for any meaningful length of time or purpose.

I guess if I frequented this place, and it was posted there, I would have a better frame of reference to judge it by, but being this is a "baseball" site (or at least I thought it was), I'm tend to agree with "tg" as it's, "not that big of a deal", since I have come to respect his views on things.....so if he says it's a somewhat regular occurrence in his area, well, I'm gonna take his word for it.

Bama, the current HS (baseball) team I'm coaching, has put up 12 runs on 12 hits in one game, only to come back two days later and get 2 runs on 2 hits, followed five days later by no runs on 1 hit, and two days after that post, 13 runs on 12 hits.......so really, several games prior to a team's current outing is really no indication of the quality of a particular team.

Had that other team been undefeated or maybe have lost only a game or two, than that might be indicative of something, but a single game regardless of the score, IMO tells very little of the quality of a team.....one way or the other.
                  You see it happen in high school when a D1 prospect faces a bunch of stiffs. But this girl (throws below 60) isn't even a D1 prospect. The team must have really stunk. The team they beat 26-7 must be pitiful. Giving up 7 runs even when winning lends itself to a weak team.

Comment

• Jake Patterson
                    Coaching 101 Moderator
                    • Oct 2005

Tg,
                    Always with the negative side and how it applies to your children... Geeze, give it a break. I think you might be the type of person who gets a free car and would say "geeze I would have liked the red one with tan interior."

Whether you've seen 1 or 100 girls do this it is still an amazing feat to get 21 strike outs... That means no hits, no pop flys, no ground outs, no nothing but strike outs.

Mud,
                    At a clinic about 10 years ago, we had Michelle Legacy as a clinician. She's about 5' 5" 110 lbs, but could throw the hell out of the softball. Some of my players (several were 6'+ studs who went on and played after HS) thought she was a joke, until they got in the cage with her. I told them all they had three pitches to hit the back of the net... If they could - no running for the entire season... They ran.

Yes softball is not baseball, but many here are softball coaches and can appreciate a good softball/baseball story when they hear it. If you do not feel this is a great feat then go to the next thread.

Comment

• Jake Patterson
                      Coaching 101 Moderator
                      • Oct 2005

You see it happen in high school when a D1 prospect faces a bunch of stiffs. But this girl (throws below 60) isn't even a D1 prospect. The team must have really stunk. The team they beat 26-7 must be pitiful. Giving up 7 runs even when winning lends itself to a weak team.
                      NFA is a class L school.

Comment

• tg643
                        Team Veteran
                        • May 2010

Originally posted by Jake Patterson View Post
                        This is a big deal for any high school pitcher... NFA is one of the top schools in Southern CT.
                        Then it's a sad commentary on CT high school softball. Half of UConn's roster is from outside New England. When they were ranked a majority were from the west coast. I would be the first to admit where my daughter grew up in PA was not the US hotbed of ASA softball. But they pounded on the New England teams in tournaments.

Comment

• Chris O'Leary
                          Student of the game.
                          • Apr 2006

Add: I watched the beginning of her prospect video. She only throws 58. That it not hard. 58 was ordinary in the conference my daughter played.
                          That makes it all the more impressive, IMO.

She must actually know how to pitch.
                          Obsessed with Pitching Mechanics.

Comment

• tg643
                            Team Veteran
                            • May 2010

Tg,
                            Always with the negative side and how it applies to your children... Geeze, give it a break. I think you might be the type of person who gets a free car and would say "geeze I would have liked the red one with tan interior."

Whether you've seen 1 or 100 girls do this it is still an amazing feat to get 21 strike outs... That means no hits, no pop flys, no ground outs, no nothing but strike outs.

Mud,
                            At a clinic about 10 years ago, we had Michelle Legacy as a clinician. She's about 5' 5" 110 lbs, but could throw the hell out of the softball. Some of my players (several were 6'+ studs who went on and played after HS) thought she was a joke, until they got in the cage with her. I told them all they had three pitches to hit the back of the net... If they could - no running for the entire season... They ran.

Yes softball is not baseball, but many here are softball coaches and can appreciate a good softball/baseball story when they hear it. If you do not feel this is a great feat then go to the next thread.
                            Jake, from having lived all over the country I'm open minded. I've also looked outside the world I grew up in. Like most New Englanders you're very provincial. The story is newsworthy. It's worth an "Atta girl." It's not worth an "Oh my God! Look what she did!"

There's a definitive pecking order of talent in high school age softball. When my daughter's team would go to nationals some of the top west coast teams would put up four or five runs on the same pitcher who no hit half the high school competition in PA. In the past few years the southeast has joined the power ranks of ASA and college softball.
                            Last edited by tg643; 04-24-2012, 11:54 AM.

Comment

• cps
                              • Dec 2009

Tg,

Mud,

Jake,
                              For what it’s worth, I thought it was impressive. However, my daughter is not a D1 super star softball player like that TG’s and I haven’t seen any high end softball like him, so my opinion may not be worth much.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X