Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Knob to ball..

Quote Originally Posted by Roothog66 View Post
    Agreed. However, in my experience, every kid given this cue WORSENS bat drag as the try to pull the knob to the ball.
    That's what I have seen, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Rufus67 View Post
    Usually followed with the phrase "so you can hit the top of the ball and create backspin."
    I'm not sure how hitting the top of the ball would create backspin. If anything it would create topspin.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris O'Leary View Post
    That's what I have seen, too.
    This does happen often.

I see far more swings that are akin to the "hammer toss" in the Olympics than I do "knob pullers" (heh heh, knob pullers) in the age group of 8-10. If knob pulling was the chronic batting mistake at this age, I think most coaches would be thrilled. You can work with that.

One of the biggest mistakes I see is "laying the bat flat", but then never raises it up and bring it back, so when kids do make contact it's all arms (straight arms too often) and with a downward plane. The problem is that at the 8-10yo age in rec league putting the ball in play is seen as success and you can very often reach base. So, why fix it if it ain;t broken? (or the coach thinks).

The problem is not with "knob pulling", but rather "knob pushing".....big difference.
    In memory of "Catchingcoach" - Dave Weaver: February 28, 1955 - June 17, 2011

Quote Originally Posted by mudvnine View Post
    Knob to the ball....barrel to the ball?

Drag the barrel to the ball....turn the barrel to the ball?

Push the hands to the ball....pull the hands to the ball?

Power the swing with shoulders and arms....power the swing with hips and legs?

Aaarrgghh, so many choices.....
    That cracked me up!!!
    Granny said Sonny stick to your guns if you believe in something no matter what. Because it's better to be hated for who you are than to be loved for who you're not.

The problem is not with "knob pulling", but rather "knob pushing".....big difference.
    In many knob pullers the back elbow slides forward to get to a position where it can pull the knob and the barrel through.

The result is that the back elbow ends up too far forward.

Blog Entries
    I've seen "knob to the ball" used to explain linear. I've seen "knob to the ball" used to describe rotational. It's all in what the coach means when he uses the term. If the lesson continues with squish the bug, run.

In many knob pullers the back elbow slides forward to get to a position where it can pull the knob and the barrel through.

That's caused by a "top down swing"....with the shoulders and arms powering the swing (pulling the knob), instead of the legs and hips "pulling" it.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a big proponent of "knob to the ball", but I hate even more, tossing around cues without some substance or thought process behind them....good, bad, right, or wrong.

I have once or twice used "knob to the ball from back here....not from out here" (hands behind the rear hip versus at or in front of it), but it was for a specific hitter with specific mechanics, that needed a little mental boost to break through a sticking point of some sort.

Quote Originally Posted by tg643 View Post
    I've seen "knob to the ball" used to explain linear. I've seen "knob to the ball" used to describe rotational. It's all in what the coach means when he uses the term. If the lesson continues with squish the bug, run.
    I Was running as soon as I heard 'knob puller'. Haha

Quote Originally Posted by songtitle View Post
    99% of youth coaches use these cues. They heard these cues as a kid and they can't wait to share them with others.

These are helpful
    Attachment 107774
    Can you link some videos from youtube on the way kids should be taught these days?

Knob to the ball is what I was taught too. I don't want to pass along a bad technique if there's something better out there.

I'm trying to figure out if I'm a pusher or if I'm a puller and I have know clue which is which - ha. Next time I go to the cages I will video tape it so you guys can tell me what I am. This is quickly heading in the wrong direction - haha.

Quote Originally Posted by mellowthunder View Post
    I Was running as soon as I heard 'knob puller'. Haha
    How would you describe to someone, how the knob is being moved here....

Attachment 107778

Pushed, pulled, something else?

yeah similar to a sidearm pitcher pulling the ball by leading with the elbow:
    http://www.stevenellis.com/steven_el.../sidearmer.jpg
    I think walks are overrated unless you can run. If you get a walk and put the pitcher in a stretch, that helps, but the guy who walks and cant run, most of the time hes clogging up the bases for somebody who can run. Dusty Baker.

Quote Originally Posted by dominik View Post
    yeah similar to a sidearm pitcher pulling the ball by leading with the elbow:
    http://www.stevenellis.com/steven_el.../sidearmer.jpg
    Which is the problem with the cue that hitting is like a sidearm throw, at least in terms of arm action.

How would you describe to someone, how the knob is being moved here....

Attachment 107778

Pushed, pulled, something else?

Mudvine, I was joking when I posted that 'knob puller' line.

By the way, when I click on your attahcment I get an invalid link.

Who would have thought a thread about knob pulling would be so popular?

What would be a good cue to start with coach pitch kids? Hips before hands?

Quote Originally Posted by mellowthunder View Post
    Mudvine, I was joking when I posted that 'knob puller' line.
    Oh, OK.....wasn't sure, and it still sorta confuses me on how folks can look at MLB and stay they're "pushing" the bat/barrel the ball, then teach some of the stuff they try to teach or explain from it.

By the way, when I click on your attahcment I get an invalid link.
    I've had that problem myself on and off with other attachments that people post.....some are open as soon as I log in, some open when I click on them, and some don't open at all.

Don't particularly like the way we now have to post pics, and how they're hit or miss if people can see them or not, but I guess it is what it is.....

Quote Originally Posted by Willisf View Post
    Yep, that one worked well for many years for a lot of younger hitters, and is nice becasue it's very basic and very simple.

Even a good fallback cue for even some older hitters that are a mess when they come to us.

Quote Originally Posted by Willisf View Post
    "See the ball, hit the ball"

Blog Entries
    Also note that even seeing drag can be difficult with the naked eye. I often see it in still photography in cases where I didn't notice it live, even when looking for it.

That's a great point, RH66. I've noticed the same thing.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12